Is Getting Baptised Needed?

God can be illogical? huh? Which Bible verse are you referencing?

Allow me to give an example. We may be viewing the concept of logic differently. My example is this: Can God both exist and not exist at the same time? Or can He create a rock so heavy that He can't lift it?

edit:
Sorry -- I didn't mean for that reply to be directed toward you. Though you are welcome to respond to it.

Pardon me, but I did not "hypothetically" or otherwise consider that Hitler was a Christian in any sense. Don't declare what isn't there.

Your verse was not about anyone being overtaken by Satan. In fact there is nothing in scripture that remotely suggests that the offender was born again.

Forgive me for misunderstanding your post. I thought you were giving a hypothetical situation when you said, "If Hitler was a Christian" I did not know that you assumed he really was a Christian. My mistake.

Allow me to give an example. We may be viewing the concept of logic differently. My example is this: Can God both exist and not exist at the same time? Or can He create a rock so heavy that He can't lift it?
Hey I don't have a problem with God saving who He wants..."I WILL HAVE MERCY ON WHOM I WILL HAVE MERCY"..and He will harden who He will harden....I have an issue when folks start "saving" people based on what they think God would do... We know He saves those who believe and have the Spirit...beyond that we are guessing. I think we can assume the Old Testament believers where saved...and hopefully God has mercy of many others...but we cant assume salvation based upon our ideas of Gods mercy.

Although we can be confident in Gods righteous judgment...what ever He does..is right!

But doesn't that suggest salvation by faith alone?

Salvation is only by grace. No amount of faith and works can give salvation if there was no grace. The Lord wants us to understand that nothing we could ever do can ever give us salvation, because man left in his own sinfulness would never seek or want God for anything. If it was not for God's mercy, and grace in revealing himself to man we would not consider God at all.

Hey I don't have a problem with God saving who He wants..."I WILL HAVE MERCY ON WHOM I WILL HAVE MERCY"..and He will harden who He will harden....I have an issue when folks start "saving" people based on what they think God would do... We know He saves those who believe and have the Spirit...beyond that we are guessing. I think we can assume the Old Testament believers where saved...and hopefully God has mercy of many others...but we cant assume salvation based upon our ideas of Gods mercy.

I haven't argued against any of that. My question is why not Judas if He had faith?

Many things that God has done since the beginning defy the logic found in the fleshly mind of man. It's obvious whenever we witness or take part in a debate or discussion with unbelievers.

Oooh I get what you are talking about now. Originally I thought when you said logic, you were generally speaking. In reality it seems like you were talking about more specifically the logic of man. Correct?

Although we can be confident in Gods righteous judgment...what ever He does..is right!
Romans 9 my favorite

Salvation is only by grace. No amount of faith and works can give salvation if there was no grace. The Lord wants us to understand that nothing we could ever do can ever give us salvation, because man left in his own sinfulness would never seek or want God for anything. If it was not for God's mercy, and grace in revealing himself to man we would not consider God at all.

I agree -- Salvation by GRACE ALONE. But we obtain grace by faith. And with that, faith without works is dead. If one doesn't have faith, does he still have grace?

Many things that God has done since the beginning defy the logic found in the fleshly mind of man. It's obvious whenever we witness or take part in a debate or discussion with unbelievers.

Are miracles, which I think you're talking about, illogical if they are the product of God who IS the author of logic and IS logical?

To suggest God is illogical is not only too easy because it dismisses reason for God, but is illogical in itself. It would mean that God's perfection is lost, and another thing God is incapable of being is imperfect. God can only, by definition, be unceasingly perfect. God's constant logic, even when defying what we can only understand as materialistically logical, remains logical. Thomas Aquinas wrote about this in Faith and Reason.

Furthermore, because of God's perfection, He is incapable of breaking promises. In fact, it is explicitly stated in Psalm 89:34.

Last edited:
To suggest God is illogical is not only too easy because it dismisses reason for God, but is illogical in itself. It would mean that God's perfection is lost, and another thing God is incapable of being is imperfect. God can only, by definition, be unceasingly perfect.
I don't think anyone is brought Gods wisdom into question, just mans ability to understand His wisdom...Is the Cross really "logical" in the system of mans logic? No...God uses foolish things and one must become a fool to be made wise, weak to be made strong! Is that "logical"?

Back