Is Getting Baptised Needed?

A Catholic who becomes an Evangelical I'd argue has never understood his Catholicism. There are millions of evangelicals who say "I was a Catholic until I was 15 and then I met Jesus." Or "I was a Catholic until I was 17 and then I became a Christian." Or "I was a Catholic until I was 20 and then I was saved." It's enough to make you want to visit their parish priests and say "What the heck were you telling these people?"

There are so many of these folks who say "Don't talk to me about Catholicism because they never taught me a thing. Now I've met Jesus!" By all means, finding one's relationship with Christ is the most important thing, but schlepping off to a Catholic mass was nothing and they found themselves in a non-denominational youth group or Campus Crusade. I'd say a Catholic who becomes an evangelical has never drawn on the riches of the Catholic faith.

Whereas an Evangelical who becomes a Catholic has taken the best of Evangelicalism and gone on with it to its fullest, reading their way into the Catholic faith, and becoming more evangelical and more of a Bible Christian than they ever have been.

I'd say an evangelical Christian who has left Catholicism has found a true personal relationship with Jesus Christ, and wants to live a life that is devoid of the entrapments of religion...he's broken free.

I'd say an evangelical Christian who has left Catholicism has found a true personal relationship with Jesus Christ, and wants to live a life that is devoid of the entrapments of religion...he's broken free.
I assure you, as a former evangelical and now Catholic, there is no entrapment. I also feel more free than ever as it has brought me closed to God than ever.

I assure you, as a former evangelical and now Catholic, there is no entrapment. I also feel more free than ever as it has brought me closed to God than ever.

I am equally assured by the Lord that there is entrapment there. Why anyone would actually choose error and religion over truth and freedom from religion is beyond me. Having said that, I am not willing to get into a detailed debate about Catholicism here in this thread.

The Catholic religion didn't emerge until some time in the 300's during Constantine's reign, where he amalgamated a form of Christianity and Roman paganism. Catholicism is the result.
I can tell you didn't do your homework. This is a bottom shelf argument against Catholicism. Constantine didn't come up with it, he introduced it to Rome which was before pagan Rome. He instituted to edict of tolerance, but the writings of the Catholic Church, even using it's name existed hundreds of years earlier. Read Ignatius of Antioch's letter to the Smyraenaens.

I am equally assured by the Lord that there is entrapment there. Why anyone would actually choose error and religion over truth and freedom from religion is beyond me. Having said that, I am not willing to get into a detailed debate about Catholicism here in this thread.
Respectfully, do not expect me to remain silent about my faith when someone decides to state falsehoods about it. I never mind defending the faith.

You only thing it is entrapment because you have claimed authority -- that is PRIDE and pride is of the devil. Order is from God--Christian order.

By the way, I don't know anyone who would choose error over truth, but I am not defending error, I am defending truth.

I'm very sorry Euphemia, but you have no idea what you are talking about.
The Orthodox church was not influenced by Rome or Constantine and their doctrine is essentially identical to the Roman Catholic church. The Thomasines had never heard of Constantine (or Rome for centuries) and whose doctrine closely matches theirs? RCC. The Coptics were isolated for centuries and who do they resemble? RCC

I can tell you didn't do your homework. This is a bottom shelf argument against Catholicism. Constantine didn't come up with it, he introduced it to Rome which was before pagan Rome. He instituted to edict of tolerance, but the writings of the Catholic Church, even using it's name existed hundreds of years earlier. Read Ignatius of Antioch's letter to the Smyraenaens.

It isn't an argument against Catholicism. It is the understanding of its inception.

I'm very sorry Euphemia, but you have no idea what you are talking about.
The Orthodox church was not influenced by Rome or Constantine and their doctrine is essentially identical to the Roman Catholic church. The Thomasines had never heard of Constantine (or Rome for centuries) and whose doctrine closely matches theirs? RCC. The Coptics were isolated for centuries and who do they resemble? RCC

I know what I am talking about.

Respectfully, do not expect me to remain silent about my faith when someone decides to state falsehoods about it. I never mind defending the faith.

You only thing it is entrapment because you have claimed authority -- that is PRIDE and pride is of the devil. Order is from God--Christian order.

By the way, I don't know anyone who would choose error over truth, but I am not defending error, I am defending truth.

I have no pride concerning this issue, but I do recognize the errors within many Catholic beliefs. To walk into it wide-eyed is not something I believe God would want for His children.

Defending one's faith is not the same as defending one's religion.

Euphemia , you are one of those who would call white-black and up-down if it would keep you from having to admit your error.
The sad thing, is that to make your beliefs seem consistent you need to prop them up with a host of fallacies.

You have no understanding of the basis for the Catholic beliefs, how can you possibly claim to recognize errors?
That is the height of arrogance.

Euphemia , you are one of those who would call white-black and up-down if it would keep you from having to admit your error.
The sad thing, is that to make your beliefs seem consistent you need to prop them up with a host of fallacies.

You have no understanding of the basis for the Catholic beliefs, how can you possibly claim to recognize errors?
That is the height of arrogance.

I am not very impressed with your skill in putting people in boxes.

I am not carrying a full-fledged debate here, so why you think I am propping up anything with a "host of fallacies" is rather odd to me.

I have a great understanding of Christianity, and also of how Roman Catholicism is contrary to it. You only see it as arrogance because perhaps your paradigm is shaky. I couldn't debate with you about these things because you'd take it too personally and start lashing out as you have already started without it being a proper debate in the first place.

But it isn't valid. You haven't reviewed the history. You've probably only heard one side and said "Oh, then that must be it," while all other reason, research, and validity of Scriptural doctrine within Catholicism be damned. How convenient.

Actually, it is valid.

I am not very impressed with your skill in putting people in boxes.

That would be sensible, since that is not what I'm doing.

I am not carrying a full-fledged debate here, so why you think I am propping up anything with a "host of fallacies" is rather odd to me..
You are not carrying a debate at all. You are making unfounded statements and expecting others to accept them at face value.

I have a great understanding of Christianity, and also of how Roman Catholicism is contrary to it. You only see it as arrogance because perhaps your paradigm is shaky. I couldn't debate with you about these things because you'd take it too personally and start lashing out as you have already started without it being a proper debate in the first place.

You have no understanding of Roman Catholic doctrine at all. If you did you would not speak as you do.

You have an odd habit of insulting others and then accusing them of casting insults. Project much?
I could go on all day about the fallacies of much of modern Protestant belief, but what would I gain?
As far as I am concerned, as long as the heresies aren't damning heresies they really aren't worth the headache.

But I do get terribly tired of some protestants displaying their arrogance and ignorance at the same time by bashing the Roman Catholic Church.

You are not carrying a debate at all. You are making unfounded statements and expecting others to accept them at face value.

Of course I'm not. I already said I wouldn't.

You have no understanding of Roman Catholic doctrine at all. If you did you would not speak as you do.

You need to connect with your own understanding, and not mine. You cannot possibly know the extent of my knowledge on the subject.

You have an odd habit of insulting others and then accusing them of casting insults. Project much?
I could go on all day about the fallacies of much of modern Protestant belief, but what would I gain?
As far as I am concerned, as long as the heresies aren't damning heresies they really aren't worth the headache.

Well, my dear, you've come in here with the attitude.

But I do get terribly tired of some protestants displaying their arrogance and ignorance at the same time by bashing the Roman Catholic Church.

Now, that's attitude.

Good day.

Back