Im giving up Theology

What has upset me most is my own efforts to understand God and theology, not other peoples. So now I just read his word and live life letting the spirit work through me.

I would get mad at God because I couldn't understand him.

I am tired of all the conflicting arguments, I just want God to teach me, and to have peace.

C-W: may I offer a suggestion?

Start over completely with a clear mind and a goal. I'd recommend that if you do not already have two reference books listed below, to at least look at these at your Christian Book Store.

First, is the Green's Interlinear Bible edited and translated by Jay Green, Sr. and published by Hendrickson Publishing in 1986. ISBN = 1-56563-977-4. This is a King James Version Bible, but also has the original languages in Hebrew, Aramaic and 'street' Greek in the margin along side the KJV text. Each Hebrew, Aramaic or 'street' Greek word is keyed to the VINTAGE (pre-1991) Strong's Concordance, so you can easilly look up original scripture word meanings for conceptural clarity and understanding.

To suppliment the Green's Interlinear Bible, my teaching ministry recommends the Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible published by Nelson Publishing carrying ISBN = 0-7852-4539-1 Published in 1990 or any EARLIER version. The Interlinear Bible has a Concordance built in, but it is not as complete as the stand alone Strong's. We do not recommend ANY post 1991 Strong's, because some more recent examples from other publishers have been manipulated and do not carry proper translative meanings from the Hebrew discriptors.

Start at Genesis 1 and take it slowly. You will have scriptural clarity from the original languages that you may not have been shown before and without "man made add-on's" that usually comes with denominational instruction. I'd also like to have you take a look at the following Net site for supplemental instruction that may give you even more clarity in your individual studies:

http://www.biblestudygames.com/biblestudies/

Blessings, and the very best to you in your independent studies.

I've struggled for the past couple days to try and understand God through the teachings of many different teachers. I've felt so lost because I cannot discern what is true and what is not.

So I have decided to scrap my endeavors and pursuits of Theology in efforts to let God speak to me through my life and his word.

Being the cerebral person I am this is not easy. But I hope God leads me in the paths of life.
Hi CM - I believe what your post reveals to me is what all believers desire--to "draw nigh to God." Your choice to wait on Him for His teachings, first through Scripture itself, is an unfailing decision, for all He will show us will begin and end with His Word.

Scripture first, then theology in much patience, not the invert, and He leads us to where He wants us to receive understanding of His Word. I believe teachings which present His Word up front first and then maintains it through the entirety of its message are the most useful and dependable. For nearly 20 years now I've found what I believe is such teachings.

It may not be where you are at this time, but if I may share a sample of it with you without suspicion of imposition, I would appreciate it. Below is a daily anthology that is part of the answer for what I continue to seek in my desire to get close to God through His Word.

I do not need to ask God to bless you in your endeavor to draw near to Him through His Word, because this is the very thing He is doing for all who are His, and much thanksgiving to Him for it.

God's blessings to your Family!

http://www.abideabove.com/hungry-heart/

What has upset me most is my own efforts to understand God and theology, not other peoples. So now I just read his word and live life letting the spirit work through me.

I would get mad at God because I couldn't understand him.

I am tired of all the conflicting arguments, I just want God to teach me, and to have peace.

I am with you my friend!

@Cosmicwaffle

Cryptography was created because messages would be intercepted by the enemy and changed. In fact in the ancient times, they'd write a message on the bald head of someone, then let it grow, go to the outpost and they'd shave their head and read the message, then kill him. Hence the adage "Don't kill the messenger". This is what the enemy does. He intercepts messages from the Lord from His word through men's vanity, traditions, and egos.

I grew up Catholic. My dad got saved watching Billy Graham and the nearest church was Methodist. Dad wanting to check out others, Pentecostal, Southern Baptists, Holiness, and finally settled on Independent Baptists. I really didn't care, I just enjoyed church since I was a kid. After leaving the house and on my own, I found it wonderfully liberating to go where ever the Holy Spirit led. So I don't have a canned religion, I just go to the Source. I love mysteries. God has been and forever will be the most mysterious, yet to learn some nugget He hid in His word about Him is just overwhelmingly joyful. But to encounter Him personally makes the joy of the nugget pale in comparison.

Do as Pastor Gary says and start over with only one thing in mind: find God. Not just in His word, that's the start, but find Him in your heart. Be determined to find Him. "Seek and ye shall find". God goes silent when we are too busy to listen. Then we realize some morning "Hey! Where's God?" Then the devil pops up on cue and says "He's left you! He doesn't love you any more!" IMMEDIATELY we must act on 2 Cor 10:5-6. I know I've been there. As you start over, you will have doubts, frustrations, more doubts, but believe God's word, at least one verse:

"I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee."
Heb 13:5 and Jos 1:5​

Praise God on your journey!

Back