Hypothetical question about the unforgivable sin.

If you knew that someone was going to blaspheme the Holy Spirit ONLY if you told them exactly how to commit it, will you tell them exactly how to do it? Why or why not? Explain your reasoning.
No. Such an act would be repugnant to any child of God. Besides, the greatest act of sin against the Holy Spirit is deliberate disbelief (not just unbelief) and refusal to accept the salvation God offers. It sounds like the person is already deep in that sin.

If you knew that someone was going to blaspheme the Holy Spirit ONLY if you told them exactly how to commit it, will you tell them exactly how to do it? Why or why not? Explain your reasoning.
No, I would not help someone bring eternal damnation on themselves.

Why?
Because it is evil.

My reasoning?
Let’s start with scripture for some context:

Mark 3:29, NASB
but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin”—

Matthew 12:31, NASB
Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven people, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven.

In practical terms, blaspheming of the Holy Spirit is not a careless act, and not something done in a moment of despair or rebellion.

It is a deliberate, cultivated, and calloused attitude, practiced over time; a persistent defiance that hardens the heart and results in eternal damnation.

It is certainly not a good way to try and get God’s attention.

You could not help someone do this without it hardening your own heart and risking your own soul.

So, now knowing all this, why would we want to do this violence to our own soul, the soul of another, and this crime against God?

But no matter how deep in sin anyone is, God still forgives and has mercy, right?

As I understand it, He will forgive all sins, except blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, by its very nature, it puts you beyond repentance because that is the sin of rejecting Him and refusing His offer of forgiveness and new life in Jesus Christ. And this takes a very deliberate, consistent and willful rejection of Him.

Sometimes I am glad I have not been given the ability to understand the bible
Dear Via dolarossa I am also working constantly to understand scripture, this is not a false modesty but an honest confession.

When I read the posts by Major, crossnote, MM or bobinfaith, I realize I will need more than a mortal lifetime to reach their level of understanding.

The sin being discussed here in not agnosticism or even atheism, quite the opposite. These are forgivable because they are sins made in ignorance.

The unforgivable sin is being a true believer, a theist, of knowing God, the Son and the Holy Spirit and rejecting these gifts in full awareness. Think satan and the fallen angels for examples of what this entails.

As you mentioned:

19 And he said, “You who are treasured, do not be afraid. Peace beto you; take courage and be courageous!” …
Daniel 19:10, NASB

Hello Daniel, I've been posting on various Christian forums for about 25 years now, and I must say that in all that time, I've never encountered a question like the one you just asked us.

My answer to your question is "no" (for many of the same reasons that have already been mentioned), but I'm still left wondering why you asked it (?) So, if you don't mind answering a question for me, "why did you ask us that particular question?", as I'd love to know your answer and understand.

--Papa Smurf
p.s. - I was wondering if you were thinking along the lines of being some sort of Christian, Dr. Kevorkian, but even his intention (as disturbing as it was) was to alleviate a person's suffering, not to cause them to suffer FAR more than they already were. So again, I am still at a loss to understand why you asked the question that you did, and what purpose asking it ~or~ getting an answer to it, serves?? Thanks again!

Last edited:
Here's a short article about the Unpardonable Sin from Anglican theologian, Dr. J. I. Packer, what it is, how to know that you have ~not~ committed it (see the bold type towards the bottom of Dr. Packer's article concerning the latter), and quite a bit more. I thought this might help as this topic is often an emotional one for many.

UNPARDONABLE SIN

ONLY IMPENITENCE CANNOT BE FORGIVEN

I tell you the truth, all the sins and blasphemies of men will be forgiven them.
But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never
be forgiven; he is guilty of an eternal sin.
MARK 3:28–29

When Jesus warned the Pharisees that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit was unpardonable both in this world and in the next (Matt. 12:32; Mark 3:29–30), it was because they were saying that he exorcised demons by being in league with Satan (Beelzebub). His warning revealed his view of their spiritual state.

He could, and later did, pray for the forgiveness of those whose blasphemy against himself was the fruit of ignorance: “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing” (Luke 23:34). But that was not how he saw the Pharisees.

It is possible for people to be enlightened to the point of knowing inwardly that Jesus is the divine Savior he claims to be, and still not be willing to admit it publicly, because of all the behavioral changes that such an admission would make necessary. It is possible to try to make oneself feel good about one’s own moral dishonesty by inventing reasons, no matter how absurd, for not treating Jesus as worthy of one’s allegiance. Jesus evidently perceived that in calling him Satan’s servant the Pharisees were doing exactly that. They were not ignorant; they were stifling conviction and smothering real if unwelcome knowledge; they were resolutely shutting their eyes to the light and callousing their conscience by calling it darkness. The madness that Jesus exposed in what they were saying (Matt. 12:25–28) was an index of the pressure of conviction that they were feeling; irrational reasoning is a regular sign of conviction being resisted.

By attributing exorcisms wrought through the Holy Spirit (Matt. 12:28) to Satanic power, the Pharisees were blaspheming (speaking impiously) against the Spirit. Such a sin would become unforgivable when the conscience had been so calloused by calling good evil that all sense of the moral glory of Jesus’ mighty works (which were in a real sense his credentials: Matt. 11:2–6; John 10:38; 14:11) was destroyed. This hardening of heart against Jesus would preclude any remorse at any stage for having thus blasphemed. But nonexistence of remorse makes repentance impossible, and nonexistence of repentance makes forgiveness impossible.

Callousing one’s conscience by dishonest reasonings so as to justify denial of God’s power in Christ and rejection of his claims upon one is, then, the formula of the unpardonable sin. Another version of it, this time in professed Christians who fall away from Christ, is described in Hebrews 6:4–8. Christians who fear that they may have committed the unpardonable sin show by their very anxiety that they have not done so. Persons who have committed it are unremorseful and unconcerned; indeed, they are ordinarily unaware of what they have done and to what fate they have sentenced themselves. Jesus saw that the Pharisees were getting close to committing this sin, and he spoke as he did in hope of holding them back from fully lapsing into it.
~Packer, J. I. (1993). Concise theology: a guide to historic Christian beliefs (pp. 244–246). Tyndale House.

It's sometimes helpful to hear from two different sources as well (about tough topics), so while I'm at it, here's another article about the Unpardonable Sin for any who care to read it as well/instead. THis one is from theologian and pastor, Dr. R. C. Sproul. The two men say many things that are similar, but both make interesting points that the other does not. So here you go.

54. THE UNFORGIVABLE SIN
That the Bible describes one sin as “unforgiveable” sparks fear in the hearts of those who worry that perhaps they have committed it. Although the gospel freely offers forgiveness to all who repent of their sins, there is a limit reached at the door of this one crime. The unforgiveable or unpardonable sin of which Jesus warned is identified as blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. Jesus declared that this sin cannot be forgiven either in the present or in the future:

Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come. (Matthew 12:31-32)

Various attempts have been made to identify the specific crime that is unforgiveable. It has been assigned to such grievous crimes as murder or adultery. However, though both of these sins are clearly heinous sins against God, the Scripture makes it clear that they may be forgiven if earnest repentance is made. David, for example, was guilty of both of them, yet he was restored to grace.

Frequently the unforgiveable sin is identified with persistent and final unbelief in Christ. Since death brings the end of a person’s opportunity to repent of sin and embrace Christ, the finality of unbelief brings the consequence of the termination of hope of forgiveness.

Though persistent and final unbelief does bring about such consequences it does not adequately explain Jesus’ warning concerning blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. Blasphemy is something one does with the mouth or the pen. It involves words.

Though any form of blasphemy is a serious assault on the character of God, it is usually regarded as forgiveable. When Jesus warned of the unforgiveable sin, it was in the context of His accusers declaring that He was in league with Satan. His warning was sober and frightening. Yet, on the cross Jesus prayed for the forgiveness of those who blasphemed against Him on the grounds of their ignorance, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do” (Luke 23:34).

If, however, people are enlightened by the Holy Spirit to the degree that they know Jesus is truly the Christ, and then they accuse Him of being satanic, they have committed a sin for which there is no pardon. Christians left to their own devices are capable of committing the unpardonable sin, but we are confident that God in His preserving grace will restrain His elect from ever committing such a sin. When earnest Christians are fearful that perhaps they have actually committed this sin, it is probably an indication that they haven’t. Those who do commit such a sin would be so hardened of heart and abandoned in their sin as to feel no remorse for it.

Even in a pagan, secularized culture like our own, people seem to be reluctant to go too far in their blasphemy against God and Christ. Though the name of Christ is dragged through the mud as a common curse word and the gospel is ridiculed by irreverent jokes and comments, people still seem constrained to avoid linking Jesus with Satan.

Though the occult and Satanism provide a context of perilous danger for the commission of the unpardonable sin, if radical blasphemy occurs here it may still be forgiven because it is committed in ignorance by those unenlightened by the Holy Spirit.

Summary
1. Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is not to be equated with murder or adultery.
2. Blasphemy is an offense against God involving words.
3. Christ’s original warning was against attributing the works of God the Holy Spirit to Satan.
4. Jesus prayed for the forgiveness of blasphemers who were ignorant of His true identity.
5. Christians will never commit this sin because of the restraining grace of God.

Biblical passages for reflection:
Matthew 12:22-32
Luke 23:34

1 John 5:16

~Sproul, R. C. (1992). Essential truths of the Christian faith. Tyndale House.

I suspect you already have some idea,
the need to suspect is over.. because i was not sure what you meant by gifts.. i really cant agree with a true believer, a theist, of knowing God, the Son and the Holy Spirit and rejecting these gifts in full awareness. . this would fall into a doctrine that creates strife and it would get this entire post closed. i done had one closed plus i will assure you its being watched .

Back