Greater Meteorological Event?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crossnote perhaps you misunderstand what John Calvin is saying. How could Calvin be in the same category. He is not the one claiming that the earth moves around the sun contrary to what God states in the Bible, he is not the one claiming that science shall now determine over holy writ and what God says. This is the reality of what the Copernican revolution was all about to undermine the authority of God and the Bible.
I hate to argue but the Copernican theory had nothing to do with undermining the authority of God and the Bible.
That is simply YOUR personal opinion has I for one can not agree.

Copernicus was a devout Christian and in the 16th century, was the simply the first to explain the observed looping (retrograde) motion of planets, by replacing a geocentric heliocentric model of the Universe with a heliocentric model.

Galileo, also a devout Christian contributed to the development of astronomy by teaching the Copernican view, and by devising a telescope which he used to show Jupiter’s moons as a model for the solar system, among other things.

Newton was also a devout Christian who wrote about Biblical prophecy, especially Daniel and the Revelation, the most, particularly the book of Daniel and the book of Revelation. He built on earlier insights with his universal law of gravitation and its fruits: predictions or explanations of Kepler’s laws, the motion of comets, the shape of the Earth, tides, precession of the equinoxes and perturbations in the motion of planets which led to the discovery of Neptune. He also had to invent the mathematics to do this: calculus.

All of these really smart men have now been proven by modern science, satellites, and observations from airplanes and other sources to be 100% correct.

Crossnote perhaps you misunderstand what John Calvin is saying. How could Calvin be in the same category. He is not the one claiming that the earth moves around the sun contrary to what God states in the Bible, he is not the one claiming that science shall now determine over holy writ and what God says. This is the reality of what the Copernican revolution was all about to undermine the authority of God and the Bible.
Prim, Perhaps you are misunderstanding what I am saying...Regardless of the person (Calvin, Copernicus, the Pope or whoever), would you place the authority of that person over Scripture? Maybe your issue is science vs Scripture? I'd agree Scripture should be believed over science IF they conflict. This is because what often passes for science is theory and speculation similar to man's interpretations of Scripture apart from guidance of the Holy Spirit.

This thread has become confrontational and is being HALTED for the time being so participants can look it all over and decide if your words are being hurtful to others. This thread has been REPORTED several times and as such, a cooling off period is now in effect. THINK before you post, if and when this thread is opened again !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back