Greater Meteorological Event?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crossnote

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Joshua 10:13-14 KJV
And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day. [14] And there was no day like that before it or after it, that the LORD hearkened unto the voice of a man: for the LORD fought for Israel.

Exodus 10:22-23 KJV
And Moses stretched forth his hand toward heaven; and there was a thick darkness in all the land of Egypt three days: [23] They saw not one another, neither rose any from his place for three days: but all the children of Israel had light in their dwellings.

Which would you consider a greater meteorological event? The sun and moon standing still or 3 days of solid darkness?

I would say the sun and moon standing still for 3 days. This is written as a planet wide event, perhaps a solar system event, while the 3 days of darkness, although impressive beyond all understanding, seems to be described as a ‘local’ event affecting Egypt alone.

That said, either one would be humbling.
Sounds like the sun stood still the whole day (v.13) not 3 days.

But I thought what was exceptional about the 3 days of thick darkness was that the children of Israel had light in Goshen. (V23)
(Sorry I had forgotten to include that tidbit).

Hello Prim90;

God will reveal everything about the mysteries in our lifetime. I'm looking forward to learn why Australia is known as "down under" or Terra Australis.

God bless you, sister.
Bob South of the Equator I do believe. Also known as the Great Southern land. Some prefer the Nick name ( the land down under ) in reference to it being a top bottom affair. (Or as one Australian prime minister bluntly put it. ( We be at the ass end of the world. ) The bottom end of the world

And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, Exodus 10:22-23 KJVand there was a thick darkness in all the land of Egypt three days:
Which would you consider a greater meteorological event? The sun and moon standing still or 3 days of solid darkness?

Hello crossnote;

Which would you consider a greater meteorological event?

I would consider the sun and moon standing still for a whole day was to accomplish His miraculous work. When the Lord brought the day back into play and in synch with days ahead is pretty amazing. I consider this the greater meteorological event. It would be like putting a TV program stream on pause and then play as if nothing was interrupted.

Whereas 3 days of darkness was also God's Mighty Hand. It is like having a blackout in California. Things are normal except for no electricity until the power goes back on.

God bless you, brother.

Whereas 3 days of darkness was also God's Mighty Hand. It is like having a blackout in California. Things are normal except for no electricity until the power goes back on.
Bob, what drew my attention to the darkness bit was that it was localized everywhere in Egypt except in Goshen…

And Moses stretched forth his hand toward heaven; and there was a thick darkness in all the land of Egypt three days: [23] They saw not one another, neither rose any from his place for three days: but all the children of Israel had light in their dwellings.

The other phenomenon was that it was called ‘thick’ darkness. The adjective thick gives the impression it was so dark, you could feel it.
The word thick in Hebrew carries the connotation of darkness (apelah), it’s almost like saying darkness-darkness.

Then to have darkness for 3 days would mean the sun stood still that long (the earth did not turn?)

Bob, what drew my attention to the darkness bit was that it was localized everywhere in Egypt except in Goshen…

The other phenomenon was that it was called ‘thick’ darkness. The adjective thick gives the impression it was so dark, you could feel it.
The word thick in Hebrew carries the connotation of darkness (apelah), it’s almost like saying darkness-darkness.

Then to have darkness for 3 days would mean the sun stood still that long (the earth did not turn?)
Perhaps the earth wasn’t moving at all considering that the sun and moon weren’t created until day 4. And perhaps the very reason why scripture says Sun stand thou still and not the earth.

Where on earth is Goshen?
It was an area in Egypt separated for the Israelites to live in 400 years earlier when Joseph interpreted Pharoahs dream, thus saving Egypt…

Genesis 45:10 BSB
You shall settle in the land of Goshen and be near me—you and your children and grandchildren, your flocks and herds, and everything you own.

But you’re not the only one who wonders where Goshen is…

Genesis 46:28 BSB
Now Jacob had sent Judah ahead of him to Joseph to get directions to Goshen. When Jacob’s family arrived in the land of Goshen,

Perhaps the earth wasn’t moving at all considering that the sun and moon weren’t created until day 4. And perhaps the very reason why scripture says Sun stand thou still and not the earth.
Perhaps, you can take that one up with God’s Word…

Joshua 10:13 BSB
So the sun stood still and the moon stopped until the nation took vengeance upon its enemies. Is this not written in the Book of Jashar? “So the sun stopped in the middle of the sky and delayed going down about a full day.”

Besides, that’s another topic.

Both show God has total control over His creation. He put darkness over Egypt and only Egypt and He made the sun and moon to stop for a full day. I don't think either one is greater than the other, the parting of the Red sea, manna from heaven, water from a rock... all these show His magnificence and power and His authority over all creation.

Perhaps, you can take that one up with God’s Word…

Joshua 10:13 BSB
So the sun stood still and the moon stopped until the nation took vengeance upon its enemies. Is this not written in the Book of Jashar? “So the sun stopped in the middle of the sky and delayed going down about a full day.”

Besides, that’s another topic.
Well nothing to take up with Gods word at least from this end . Joshua 10:13 says what it says. God shall continue to intervene in the affairs of men I’ll let you continue to enjoy the topic of your choosing

Last edited:
And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day. [14] And there was no day like that before it or after it, that the LORD hearkened unto the voice of a man: for the LORD fought for Israel.

I would agree with Dave. Both are miraculous!

Interestingly, In the Joshua account, Israel’s enemies at that time worshiped the sun and moon. The stopping of the motion of heavenly bodies and the extended period of light to help Israel clearly affirmed the Lord God as the true God. The Amorites’ own gods were powerless to aid their cause as the God of Israel moved heaven and earth to grant His people the victory.

The question should be.......did the Sun and moon stop moving or was it the earth?????

I would submitt that it was the earth as the Sun does not move!

In Exodus, In judgment, God can withdraw His presence so significantly that the void remaining is darkness which may even be felt.

IMO......that was the same kind of darkness that took place at the crucifixion and the same kind that will take place in 4th Trumpet judgment in the Revelation!

Last edited:
Bob, what drew my attention to the darkness bit was that it was localized everywhere in Egypt except in Goshen…Exodus 10:22-23 KJV
And Moses stretched forth his hand toward heaven; and there was a thick darkness in all the land of Egypt three days: [23] They saw not one another, neither rose any from his place for three days: but all the children of Israel had light in their dwellings. The other phenomenon was that it was called ‘thick’ darkness. The adjective thick gives the impression it was so dark, you could feel it. The word thick in Hebrew carries the connotation of darkness (apelah), it’s almost like saying darkness-darkness. Then to have darkness for 3 days would mean the sun stood still that long (the earth did not turn?)
Both show God has total control over His creation. He put darkness over Egypt and only Egypt and He made the sun and moon to stop for a full day. I don't think either one is greater than the other, the parting of the Red sea, manna from heaven, water from a rock... all these show His magnificence and power and His authority over all creation.
I would agree with Dave. Both are miraculous! Interestingly, In the Joshua account, Israel’s enemies at that time worshiped the sun and moon. The stopping of the motion of heavenly bodies and the extended period of light to help Israel clearly affirmed the Lord God as the true God. The Amorites’ own gods were powerless to aid their cause as the God of Israel moved heaven and earth to grant His people the victory. The question should be.......did the Sun and moon stop moving or was it the earth????? I would submitt that it was the earth as the Sun does not move! In Exodus, In judgment, God can withdraw His presence so significantly that the void remaining is darkness which may even be felt. IMO......that was the same kind of darkness that took place at the crucifixion and the same kind that will take place in 4th Trumpet judgment in the Revelation!

Hello crossnote;

This is a good topic to discuss. I believe if the darkness stood for 3 days the earth would continue to rotate since it was only Egypt, not the whole earth that Moses was given the command by God. But the children who had light was in Goshen reference Exodus 10:22-23.

Prim90
and Major;

I can't answer around the question "or was it the earth" that stood still.

God did give the command in Joshua 10:12-13, 12 Then spake Joshua to the Lord in the day when the Lord delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon. 13 And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day. - KJV

I would say no to the earth standing still since God's command was directed at the enemy in Gibeon and Ajalon while the rest of the world continued to turn.

Major, amen, that is correct. The 4th trumpet in Revelation 8 was/is a partial judgment from God (over one third of the earth.) Just as Exodus 10 and Joshua 10 both revealed God's judgment over His enemies over a part of the earth in Egypt, Gibeon and Ajalon.

Thank you for sharing this interesting topic, crossnote.

Hello crossnote;

This is a good topic to discuss. I believe if the darkness stood for 3 days the earth would continue to rotate since it was only Egypt, not the whole earth that Moses was given the command by God. But the children who had light was in Goshen reference Exodus 10:22-23.

Prim90
and Major;

I can't answer around the question "or was it the earth" that stood still.

God did give the command in Joshua 10:12-13, 12 Then spake Joshua to the Lord in the day when the Lord delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon. 13 And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day. - KJV

I would say no to the earth standing still since God's command was directed at the enemy in Gibeon and Ajalon while the rest of the world continued to turn.

Major, amen, that is correct. The 4th trumpet in Revelation 8 was/is a partial judgment from God (over one third of the earth.) Just as Exodus 10 and Joshua 10 both revealed God's judgment over His enemies over a part of the earth in Egypt, Gibeon and Ajalon.

Thank you for sharing this interesting topic, crossnote.
I totally understand Bob.....but one has to wonder if Joshua understood that the Sun does not move, the earth does.

In that day, I am sure he thought that the Sun was moving around the earth.

I totally understand Bob.....but one has to wonder if Joshua understood that the Sun does not move, the earth does. In that day, I am sure he thought that the Sun was moving around the earth.

Hello Major;

When God spoke directly to Joshua I know he understood God in Joshua 10:12-13, but "his thoughts" about the sun moving around the earth, I don't know, brother.

If the sun and moon literally sat still, could the earth have continued to move the length of a whole day? I don't believe so, but again, I don't know for sure. I will say whether the earth did or didn't move God still defeated Israel's enemy.

Joshua 10:12-13, 12 Then spake Joshua to the Lord in the day when the Lord delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon. 13 And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day. - KJV

God bless you, brother.

Hello Prim90;

I gave your short post some extra thought and have a question. How do we reconcile the sun and moon not created until day 4, thus the earth not moving. How does that align with Joshua 10:13-14?

13 And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day. 14 And there was no day like that before it or after it, that the Lord hearkened unto the voice of a man: for the Lord fought for Israel. - KJV

I don't see the connection.

God bless you, sister, and thank you.

I totally understand Bob.....but one has to wonder if Joshua understood that the Sun does not move, the earth does.

In that day, I am sure he thought that the Sun was moving around the earth.
I was hoping we wouldn’t go in this direction but if you insist, remember motion is relative to a fixed point, thus…
The Sun orbits the center of the Milky Way, bringing with it the planets, asteroids, comets, and other objects in our solar system. Our solar system is moving with an average velocity of 450,000 miles per hour (720,000 kilometers per hour). But even at this speed, it takes about 230 million years for the Sun to make one complete trip around the Milky Way.
thus the sun does move. (Methinks the universe is bigger than us)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back