Gnosticism...Again!

Well, my Anna was in the salon today, and one of the women there was doing obvious proselytizing for a local group that worships Sophia. I've heard of such groups, but never did any deep study on them since they most generally have been confined to the more liberal denominations. Now I read today that they are growing in number, nationwide, and within evangelicalism...mostly among women. (This is not a slam against women in general.)

So, what came to my mind is that the Gnostic leaning gangs are having to draw parallels between the first nine chapters of Proverbs, all mention of "wisdom", to an external, feminine name in order to try and feminize the God of the Bible in His creative powers and overall nature.

Folks, one doesn't have to possess a Th.D to know that drawing parallels external to the Bible, especially when no such thing of that magnitude of importance would certainly have been spelled out in the text of at least one of the biblical writers. Instead, we're faced with silence. That should cause one to pause.

If God had wanted us to understand that there were a feminine aspect to His nature, He certainly had/has the power and wisdom (get it?) to have had that revealed to us rather than for it to be some "hidden wisdom" Gnostics are so prone to mislead others into believing.

What say you?

MM
In today’s gender confused world today, nothing surprises me. Heck, didn’t the Senate judiciary committee just pick a Supreme Court Judge who couldn’t tell us what a woman is? (we’re in a heap ‘o trouble).

I don't know the exact verse, but, it says that women would be led astray by silly beliefs. I will try to find it and post it. I think it was Peter that said it.

I don't know the exact verse, but, it says that women would be led astray by silly beliefs. I will try to find it and post it. I think it was Peter that said it.

2 Timothy 3:5-7

5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,
7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

2 Timothy 3:5-7​

5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,
7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
That's the one. Thank you.

Sophia is just greek name for wisdom
I don't think she was actually a god.

It is true that in the Bible wisdom is personified woman though. A wise woman eg your mother. lol

Sophia is just greek name for wisdom
I don't think she was actually a god.

It is true that in the Bible wisdom is personified woman though. A wise woman eg your mother. lol
No one by the name of Sophia is even mentioned in the Bible.

There has been a growing movement among women who do not like or approve of the Bible declaring that God is a "Father" until it climaxed in 1993 when the Re-Imagining Conference was held in Minnesota. There, participants worshiped Sophia freely, advocated praying to trees in nature, cast off the need for the atoning work of Jesus Christ, declared God the Father was an "abusive parent" in sending Jesus to die for the sins of humanity, and issued an ultimatum for the continued progress of Sophia worship in congregational gatherings. Most recently, Sophia goddess worship has been embraced by laypeople and clergy alike.

It is a "Cult" of the highest order!

Back