Disagreements In Christianity

We, as Christians, all have a duty to reflect the best we can what it means to live in Christ - to show non believers, out of Love, the better path. There are elders and Pastors, leaders - who are called by God and while admireable, indeed, as beacons, it keeps us all focused on the goal. Does that make them more than other believers? In God's eyes? It is grace and God's enduring love that saves any one.

"I just don't like the idea of...."??? I could list things I don't like, but that does not make it Biblical or God's way. I'm not saying there are second class Christians, either. I would recommend that if you think some concept is wrong, find scripture supporting your belief so you won't find yourself trying to sweep the ocean back with a broom. (That would be fighting a losing battle with God's word.) I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, just trying to let you know that leading with a phrase like that gives an impression that you value your own views more than that of God's. I hope I'm not coming off as rude. I just saw that and thought, "Yikes, did I just read that?" I know sometimes we type without thinking, and I just wanted to let you know.
When I said I didn't like the idea I merely meant that I disagreed. I refer to the idea of being "anointed" in the sense that God has bestowed some Godly wisdom on some people, I'd never heard of that before coming to this forum and don't believe God works in such a way.

1Cor 12:28. And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, helping, administrating, and various kinds of tongues.

Yes, things can be revealed by the Holy Spirit and we can be taught by the Spirit. But we also must measure ourselves soberly so as to not build ourselves up to think highly of ourselves.
1 Corinthians 3:
18 Let no one deceive himself. If anyone among you seems to be wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise. 19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, “He catches the wise in their own craftiness”; 20 and again, “The Lord knows the thoughts of the wise, that they are futile.” 21 Therefore let no one boast in men. For all things are yours: 22 whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas, or the world or life or death, or things present or things to come—all are yours. 23 And you are Christ’s, and Christ is God’s.

We must be careful that we don't bring our own "world-view" or "the way things ought to be" into our belief system. Any revelations need to be measured with scripture for reliability. Don't get caught with a chip on your shoulder thinking yourself as wise.

I think that is exactly what @PeaceLikeaRiver has an issue with. People call themselves "born-again," "anointed," or "baptized by the Spirit" to discredit other people's arguments. If you aren't whatever title they deem superior then you can't even have a conversation with them, and the only way that you fit into that title is if you agree with them on everything. The people that go around calling themselves "Spirit filled" and "anointed" have no humility and think that God gives them and everyone else that agrees with them special knowledge, so they think themselves very wise.

1Cor 12:28. And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, helping, administrating, and various kinds of tongues.
Sounds like an anointing.
Who would John be talking to in this?
1 John 2:
20 But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and you know all things. 21 I have not written to you because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and that no lie is of the truth.

and same chapter:
26 These things I have written to you concerning those who try to deceive you. 27 But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him.

So, was this only for whom John was talking to? Gifts are given to believers to use for the glory of God, is that not an anointing?

Question for all here..........How do you respond to someone who has corrected you using scripture? Exactly what is your thought process and how do you go about responding to them?

Question for all here..........How do you respond to someone who has corrected you using scripture? Exactly what is your thought process and how do you go about responding to them?
What do you mean? I've had people tell me I'm wrong and use a verse to show it, but the verse is generally out of context, or there are other verses that seem to directly contradict the verse they posted. I can't really think of a time where someone has corrected me using Scripture, honestly.

It tends to come down to this. I'm not infallible and neither are they.

But, the correct use will (1) produce the fruits of the Holy Spirit (2) have a strong historical and patristic agreement and (3) Line up with the other truths echoed elsewhere.

It is also possible for verses to have a double meaning. That was very common in NT Greek. There are a lot of puns that we miss in scripture because of translation.

First, analyze the particular scripture to see if it applies to the situation.
If not, let the poster know he has missed the mark.
Second, does the said scripture apply to me?

how to respond, I think depend on the listener:

Similar to human governance: when there is no human governing authority to rule the masses (or interpret the rules)

if the mass is uneducated or mis-educated (it can be a mob), if the mass is educated (respectful of each other rights)

thus, regarding the scriptures:

it can be a mob (divinely unguided) or Christian liberty (divinely guided)….

I think that is exactly what @PeaceLikeaRiver has an issue with. People call themselves "born-again," "anointed," or "baptized by the Spirit" to discredit other people's arguments. If you aren't whatever title they deem superior then you can't even have a conversation with them, and the only way that you fit into that title is if you agree with them on everything. The people that go around calling themselves "Spirit filled" and "anointed" have no humility and think that God gives them and everyone else that agrees with them special knowledge, so they think themselves very wise.
This was perfectly and beautifully said. Thanks.

(sorry , having posting issues)
First, analyze the particular scripture to see if it applies to the situation.
Second, does the said scripture apply to me?
If so. thank the poster for the pointer.
If not, does the post appply to another there?
If so, comment appropriately.
Third, does the scripture have anything to do with any of the posts.
If so, comment appropriately.
If not, try not to be too sarcastic in reply.

The Greatest in the Kingdom
46 Then his disciples began arguing about which of them was the greatest. 47 But Jesus knew their thoughts, so he brought a little child to his side. 48 Then he said to them, “Anyone who welcomes a little child like this on my behalf welcomes me, and anyone who welcomes me also welcomes my Father who sent me. Whoever is the least among you is the greatest.”

I agree, but I've been told that because I'm not "born again" (i.e. I'm not a fundamentalist Christian but instead was raised Catholic) that I essentially do not qualify.

Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God, and everyone who loves the Father loves whoever has been born of him. By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments.

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Based on above scriptures, I have the right to debate with you on theological differences. As fellow brothers, it is absolutely fine to discuss scriptures and correct each other. But I don't think it would be fair to call someone as unbeliever. Especially while discussing scriptural topics.

Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God, and everyone who loves the Father loves whoever has been born of him. By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments.

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Based on above scriptures, I have the right to debate with you on theological differences. As fellow brothers, it is absolutely fine to discuss scriptures and correct each other. But I don't think it would be fair to call someone as unbeliever. Especially while discussing scriptural topics.
I don't have any issue with any of this at all.

Sounds like an anointing.
Who would John be talking to in this?
1 John 2:
20 But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and you know all things. 21 I have not written to you because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and that no lie is of the truth.

and same chapter:
26 These things I have written to you concerning those who try to deceive you. 27 But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him.

So, was this only for whom John was talking to? Gifts are given to believers to use for the glory of God, is that not an anointing?
I believe that John was talking to 'the Church'. The Church being believers throughout all ages up until the end.
There are a lot of badges being thrown about out there that are wrong or that are misused IMO.
I think I read of someone who claims to have been discriminated against because they are an RCC and not 'born again.'
Why would't/couldn't an RCC be born again?
But that would be a nonsense just as being taught/told that there is no salvation outside of the RCC is also a nonsense.
There is too much error on all fronts of Christianity IMNSHO.

Back