Disagreements In Christianity

Oh you bet they cause damage!

Man's way:
schooling, diploma, training, worldly concepts to build an empire - lot's of Bible but no God​
God's way:
1 John 2:27 (KJV)
But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.
Give them time and they'll all go the way of Harvard: starts out as a seminary eventually only elitists can afford to attend and buy a piece of paper, and that piece of paper gets you into a dream job which teaches you "it's not personal, it's only business" and we have the American way, man's way.
Up here in OZ, we don't have seminaries (by name). But I guess a seminary is a place where the seeds of knowledge are sown?
The college I attended made no bones about the fact tbhat their official position on creation is 'theistic evolution. Me personally can not embrace that idea, yet our two diametrically oppose positions are based on the word of God, so yes, I agree with you.

Yes, I agree with this. Education is very important, it can't just be someone saying that they were given a special favor and insight by God. For one thing, anyone can do that, and for another, it comes across arrogant.

I tend to be of the opinion that if you need to tell someone you are anointed by God, you probably are not. Those anointed speak with the fruit of The spirit and their truths are self evident.

I tend to be of the opinion that if you need to tell someone you are anointed by God, you probably are not. Those anointed speak with the fruit of The spirit and their truths are self evident.
I hadn't even heard of "anointed" prior to coming to this forum, apart from in the context of that scripture. It's a little bit unfathomable at least in the context it was explained to me here.

I hadn't even heard of "anointed" prior to coming to this forum, apart from in the context of that scripture. It's a little bit unfathomable at least in the context it was explained to me here.
I don't like the term personally. Jesus was THE anointed one. That's good enough for me.

Silk says, "....never seems to occur on nasty scripture swap eswords swinging pride fests." Very illustrative! Can I quote you with this sometime?:D

I just don't like the idea of preferred and second class Christians. If you follow the word of Jesus Christ that should be all that matters.
"I just don't like the idea of...."??? I could list things I don't like, but that does not make it Biblical or God's way. I'm not saying there are second class Christians, either. I would recommend that if you think some concept is wrong, find scripture supporting your belief so you won't find yourself trying to sweep the ocean back with a broom. (That would be fighting a losing battle with God's word.) I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, just trying to let you know that leading with a phrase like that gives an impression that you value your own views more than that of God's. I hope I'm not coming off as rude. I just saw that and thought, "Yikes, did I just read that?" I know sometimes we type without thinking, and I just wanted to let you know.

"I just don't like the idea of...."??? I could list things I don't like, but that does not make it Biblical or God's way. I'm not saying there are second class Christians, either. I would recommend that if you think some concept is wrong, find scripture supporting your belief so you won't find yourself trying to sweep the ocean back with a broom. (That would be fighting a losing battle with God's word.) I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, just trying to let you know that leading with a phrase like that gives an impression that you value your own views more than that of God's. I hope I'm not coming off as rude. I just saw that and thought, "Yikes, did I just read that?" I know sometimes we type without thinking, and I just wanted to let you know.

The main position of good extra-biblical doctrine is that they are validated by, and parallel to, the truths we learn from the Bible. The fact that a statement exists that is not immediately followed by scripture, does not mean it is inherently invalid, and often times the line or reasoning that we provide if we do so with a good heart will end up echoing scripture. This has happened to me on multiple occasions. And as it happens, Peace's position does have a strong biblical backing and in no theory of Christianity is it acceptable for someone to anoint himself to promulgate doctrine.

Provided you don't have apostolic succession, people who preach must do so with a humble heart. Even people that do trace lineage back to the apostles should still be humble, but at least they have a case for their position.

I just don't like the idea of preferred and second class Christians. If you follow the word of Jesus Christ that should be all that matters.
I would like to point out that we all have our different callings but that doesn't make someone 'second-class' because they aren't in the spotlight. Take a look at Acts 6:2, the apostles weren't being arrogant by saying this. Now look at Acts 6:3 and you will see that there is nothing wrong with being called to "serve tables". The 7 who were chosen were "of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom". Not everyone is called to do the same thing. These days if you aren't in the spotlight you are considered a nobody, but that is a wrong way of thinking.

I don't see an issue with being honest about things we don't like regardless of whether or not it's biblical. I don't like that people have to go to hell, but the Bible says it's real so I believe it.

Also, I don't believe that everything we need to know is contained in the Bible. We have to use our God given discretion and His guidance to show us things that aren't contained in the Bible.

Y'all right here on this page prove my point. One doesn't like the word "anointing" so it'll never happen to them because they're biased. Another doesn't think anyone without a diploma should even teach the scriptures. This is what needing the Holy Spirit is all about, learning from Him and being used by God to do His will - which many so-called Christians cannot even show from the scriptures what that is.

Many read the word of God like someone's memoirs and think they know God intimately. I've been exactly like that for years! I've wanted so much more of God and the more I get the more I realize there's even SO MUCH MORE! As @Huntingteckel said, and is true, not everything we need to know is contained in the scriptures, we must learn from the Holy Spirit Who teaches us truth.

But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

If you don't have the anointing you'll not learn anything but what comes out of man and his 41,000 denominations. I for one will not keep the status quo, I want MORE! :)

Yes, things can be revealed by the Holy Spirit and we can be taught by the Spirit. But we also must measure ourselves soberly so as to not build ourselves up to think highly of ourselves.
1 Corinthians 3:
18 Let no one deceive himself. If anyone among you seems to be wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise. 19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, “He catches the wise in their own craftiness”; 20 and again, “The Lord knows the thoughts of the wise, that they are futile.” 21 Therefore let no one boast in men. For all things are yours: 22 whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas, or the world or life or death, or things present or things to come—all are yours. 23 And you are Christ’s, and Christ is God’s.

We must be careful that we don't bring our own "world-view" or "the way things ought to be" into our belief system. Any revelations need to be measured with scripture for reliability. Don't get caught with a chip on your shoulder thinking yourself as wise.

Y'all right here on this page prove my point. One doesn't like the word "anointing" so it'll never happen to them because they're biased. Another doesn't think anyone without a diploma should even teach the scriptures. This is what needing the Holy Spirit is all about, learning from Him and being used by God to do His will - which many so-called Christians cannot even show from the scriptures what that is.

Many read the word of God like someone's memoirs and think they know God intimately. I've been exactly like that for years! I've wanted so much more of God and the more I get the more I realize there's even SO MUCH MORE! As @Huntingteckel said, and is true, not everything we need to know is contained in the scriptures, we must learn from the Holy Spirit Who teaches us truth.

If you don't have the anointing you'll not learn anything but what comes out of man and his 41,000 denominations. I for one will not keep the status quo, I want MORE! :)

I never said you need a diploma to teach scripture. It is a useful thing, though. The point is to not have people who are not versed in scripture begin preaching doctrine. It is especially bad if they do not even realize they have a bias. Most Protestant Christians do not realize that their beliefs are inherently different that Catholicism and Orthodoxy.

And BTW, historically communion and not the Bible, has been the center of Christian life. People focus too much on scholasticism.

According to Abdicate's scripture - we who accept Christ as Lord and Savior, are all annointed with the Holy Spirit. There is no need for other men or women to annoint us. In the 23rd Psalm, King David says, "thou annointest my head with oil." But David was annointed by God's prophet, Samuel, for kingship. As Christians, we have only one King. I think the term has been used and abused in present times. Having the Holy Spirit is a gift of Grace, from Christ to all believers. To attribute "superior" levels to a man made ritual strikes me as not equal.

I have to respectfully disagree Godspell (Is that after the musical?). Christ said of communion, "do this in remembrance of me". The ritual asks that one remembers that Christ died for us. It represents admitting sins and repentance. We need to study scripture to test and correct our path. To know the nature of God and determine His Will. If you don't read scripture, you are dependant on a man/woman's version.

And BTW, historically communion and not the Bible, has been the center of Christian life. People focus too much on scholasticism.

that will be comparing a strip of orange with apples....although that strip of orange is found in apples...

According to Abdicate's scripture - we who accept Christ as Lord and Savior, are all annointed with the Holy Spirit. There is no need for other men or women to annoint us. In the 23rd Psalm, King David says, "thou annointest my head with oil." But David was annointed by God's prophet, Samuel, for kingship. As Christians, we have only one King. I think the term has been used and abused in present times. Having the Holy Spirit is a gift of Grace, from Christ to all believers. To attribute "superior" levels to a man made ritual strikes me as not equal.

I understand you. But again, there is this dichotomy between having the universal priesthood of believers and the sort of ultra-hierarchical concept purported by Catholics. Is it not possible to have a happy middle?

The pastoral epistles do in fact describe different "ranks" so to speak. Though, perhaps more accurately they are honors. Overseers, elders and servants of the Church are all described, and Paul even commands that they not be too hasty to lay hands and ordain an overseer.

Of course overseer, elder and servant are translated as Bishop, Priest and Deacon.

Back