Demons - What Do We Believe?

I have this one in my library. An excellent book by Malachi Martin!

I have also read the transcript of the exorcism performed to Anneliese Michel, the girl who inspired the film "The exorcism of Mary Rose". It is quite clear why the exorcism failed. The priests actually worshiped the virgin Mary, whose arrival was, supposedly, announced by Anneliese herself. The priests also encouraged the demons to worship the virgin Mary, and the demons' response was a chuckle and something like "I can't believe the things you come up with" (the real reply was much more harsh and blasphemous, but the meaning is what I wrote).

This is not the truth. So many people come to Christ and still need deliverance. Demons go "underground" to avoid detection, but they do reveal themselves as the person begins to grow in Christ, yielding more and more of their lives to Jesus. This is when the person becomes aware that they need some counseling or some sort of help. Deliverance is often the last resort in those who are unaware, and are members of churches that do not teach vigilance in these areas, or allow free reign of Holy Spirit.

How can a Christian be possessed? Either you belong to Christ or to the Devil.

I have also read the transcript of the exorcism performed to Anneliese Michel, the girl who inspired the film "The exorcism of Mary Rose". It is quite clear why the exorcism failed. The priests actually worshiped the virgin Mary, whose arrival was, supposedly, announced by Anneliese herself. The priests also encouraged the demons to worship the virgin Mary, and the demons' response was a chuckle and something like "I can't believe the things you come up with" (the real reply was much more harsh and blasphemous, but the meaning is what I wrote).

That's their problem, and why they do not have success.

How can a Christian be possessed? Either you belong to Christ or to the Devil.

I am talking not about the possession of one's spirit, but of one's soul---which is the mind, will and emotions of the person---the personality. That can happen to anyone. Those who come to Christ receive born again spirits, but their souls still need to be given over to the Lordship of Jesus Christ. It begins at salvation.

I am talking not about the possession of one's spirit, but of one's soul---which is the mind, will and emotions of the person---the personality. That can happen to anyone. Those who come to Christ receive born again spirits, but their souls still need to be given over to the Lordship of Jesus Christ. It begins at salvation.

I think the Bible tells otherwise. This is a good study:

No, Christians cannot be demon-possessed. Possession implies ownership, and Christians are not owned by the devil. Instead, we have been bought with a price, the blood of Jesus Christ (Acts 20:28; 1 Cor. 6:20; 7:23). Also, a demon cannot dwell in the house of the Lord because of the surpassing greatness of God's glory and purity. As Christians, we are the house of God (Heb. 10:21; 1 Tim. 3:15). We are indwelt by God when we receive Christ (John 1:12; 14:23). Furthermore, the Bible says "Greater is he that is in you than he that is in the world," (1 John 4:4). So, it would make no sense to affirm that demonic presence could actually inhabit a person who is also indwelt by God.

Furthermore, Jesus told a parable about casting demons out of someone that can shed some light here:

Matt. 12:43-45, “Now when the unclean spirit goes out of a man, it passes through waterless places, seeking rest, and does not find it. 44 “Then it says, ‘I will return to my house from which I came’; and when it comes, it finds it unoccupied, swept, and put in order. 45 “Then it goes, and takes along with it seven other spirits more wicked than itself, and they go in and live there; and the last state of that man becomes worse than the first. That is the way it will also be with this evil generation.”

As you can see, when someone is possessed and the demon is then cast out, the unclean spirit tries to come back later. Notice that Jesus says that in this case the house is found unoccupied. This most probably means that a person is not a Christian since the house is empty; that is, he does not have the indwelling presence of God. An empty house allows other spirits to enter into this person and his condition is worse than it was before.

So, it seems clear in scripture that a Christian cannot be demon-possessed.

http://carm.org/questions/about-demons/can-christians-be-demon-possessed

This is not the truth. So many people come to Christ and still need deliverance. Demons go "underground" to avoid detection, but they do reveal themselves as the person begins to grow in Christ, yielding more and more of their lives to Jesus. This is when the person becomes aware that they need some counseling or some sort of help. Deliverance is often the last resort in those who are unaware, and are members of churches that do not teach vigilance in these areas, or allow free reign of Holy Spirit.

Are you talking about "oppression or "possession"?

There is a distinct difference between being possessed by a demon and being oppressed or influenced by a demon. Demon possession involves a demon having direct/complete control over the thoughts and/or actions of a person (Matthew 17:14-18; Luke 4:33-35; 8:27-33). Demon oppression or influence involves a demon or demons attacking a person spiritually and/or encouraging him/her into sinful behavior. Notice that in all the New Testament passages dealing with spiritual warfare, there are no instructions to cast a demon out of a believer (Ephesians 6:10-18). Believers are told to resist the devil (James 4:7; 1 Peter 5:8-9), not to cast him out.

Christians are indwelt by the Holy Spirit (Romans 8:9-11; 1 Corinthians 3:16; 6:19). Surely the Holy Spirit would not allow a demon to possess the same person He is indwelling. It is unthinkable that God would allow one of His children, whom He purchased with the blood of Christ (1 Peter 1:18-19) and made into a new creation (2 Corinthians 5:17), to be possessed and controlled by a demon.

Are you talking about "oppression or "possession"?

There is a distinct difference between being possessed by a demon and being oppressed or influenced by a demon. Demon possession involves a demon having direct/complete control over the thoughts and/or actions of a person (Matthew 17:14-18; Luke 4:33-35; 8:27-33). Demon oppression or influence involves a demon or demons attacking a person spiritually and/or encouraging him/her into sinful behavior. Notice that in all the New Testament passages dealing with spiritual warfare, there are no instructions to cast a demon out of a believer (Ephesians 6:10-18). Believers are told to resist the devil (James 4:7; 1 Peter 5:8-9), not to cast him out.

Christians are indwelt by the Holy Spirit (Romans 8:9-11; 1 Corinthians 3:16; 6:19). Surely the Holy Spirit would not allow a demon to possess the same person He is indwelling. It is unthinkable that God would allow one of His children, whom He purchased with the blood of Christ (1 Peter 1:18-19) and made into a new creation (2 Corinthians 5:17), to be possessed and controlled by a demon.

I have had experience, like many have, with Christians who have had demons. Whatever difference between oppression and possession your understanding tells you, it makes no difference, because the person is most miserable and that misery is the SAME. He is lacking in victory and needs to be set free.

Why would anyone who is unsaved want a demon cast out of him? Most aren't vexed by it---they don't know enough to be. It is Christians who are beset and miserable and actually seek freedom.

You do not realize that demons lurk within a person's soul---not the spirit---after they are saved. That is why we hear so much about spiritual strongholds! They either were there from the beginning or they were let in after salvation.

One thing is for sure.. The level of demonic activity we see in early Church is not seen today.. There is a reason for that being so high at the time of Jesus.. Demons clearly recognized Jesus as Son.. Hence, the entire hell focussed on ministry of Jesus.. Doing everything to stop the kingdom of God from progressing.. Even now the work of demons is the same.. Stop the growth of Church..

Spiritual warfare is absolutely true.. However, people take it to the extreme of literal warfare.. That is, shouting and screaming at demons to scare them.. I think this is how it should be taken Biblically

Life of believers - Can never be possessed by demons.. A believer has Holy Spirit in them.. Demon cannot possess a believer.. However, a demon can influence and torment believers.. The key to remember is, the authority of demon is what God has permitted.. Our personal responsibility also matters.. We should not invite demon and think it can do no spiritual harm to us.. We have to put the armor of God and stand still.. It is not about going into head to head battle.. We are to resist the devil.. THat will make him flee away..

Life of unbelievers - Yes, they can certainly be demon possessed.. Not just influenced, but actually possessed.. In such cases, we don't need exorcism.. Only truth can set a person free.. It is the Gospel and regenerative of work of Holy Spirit that can deliver the person from demons.. So there is no formula to work with demon possessed people!

When I look at scripture and examine what the demons had to do, it was things like causing a person to be blind, deaf, dumb, and things of that nature. Do you think it's possible the same level of activity exist today, but we just have more medical terms for it?

I know what you mean. I read a couple books that involved Ed and Loraine Warren (the two world renowned demonologists). What was weird to me is that in my initial days of just having come to Christ, I was reading that Loraine Warren would participate in seances and whatnot, to talk to the dead. Honestly this makes me want to burn all those books because that is just nonsense and not scriptural at all, and both Ed and Loraine claimed to have been very devout RC. Should the seances really surprise me though? I know RC's teach that purgatory is real so Ed and Loraine would also be sending people 'into the light' who they though were stuck here...more nonsense.

I didn't want to hijack this thread with the Warrens. I just wanted to throw another comment out there regarding the craziness of false teachings. I will admit, being a newer Christian, I bought into that nonsense. I am so glad that God has since renewed my mind and shown me the truth.
Yeah I just watched the conjuring which they say was based on a true story. That's why it had me wondering what other Christian believe about demons and how much power that have

Earlier, Ravindran wrote:
Do you believe in Satan? Not sure if you are agreeing with Keith Green
To which I responded:
Yes, I believe in it; I just want nothing to do with it or its minions. I admit a pure hatred for it. I agree with Keith Green's song: some think they are so smart to deny its existence.

I lived my first 19 years where it was welcomed in the home. Someone in my home loved that shivery delight of its presence while using a facade of G-d in order to get along in society. Father, a minister and pastor, could not subdue it and didn't seem to try.

As a toddler, I saw who was strongest in that home. The stronger was the one most welcome, the one most active, so I saw our G-d as the evil, weak one. Being little, I understood that I would be forced to live with this confusion for years to come, so I sought power by submitting to what seemed stronger to me. The wrong one.

I am so glad when I was 14, G-d was able to overcome all that in spite of that house, in spite of me, in spite of the additional 5 years there.

I haven't thought of this stuff (in detail, anyway) for years. But it brings to mind the fact that until I was 36, I was harassed. Yes, I loved the L-rd, but I seemed to be in a constant fight. (Oh, I don't want to admit this. I don't want to think about it or believe it.) But while the children were in school, and I was alone in the apartment, I prayed, I submitted, I was in a personal state I had never known before, and it took the whole time the children were in school -- I was almost late to pick them up. But by the time it was over, I had taken several books out of the house as well as objects and even clothing. I must admit that the books were by Christians, on this subject. I haven't had another one of these in my possession since.

Afterward, I felt so clean. The apartment felt so clean. . . .

I'm reading Banished right now and it is pretty good. Fictional book, not sure if it is based on a true story or not

Wait, what's the difference between the soul and the spirit? I don't mean to stray off topic, but I want to understand Euphemia's point of view.

The spirit is the part of us where Holy Spirit comes to dwell. It is our "temple" if you will. The soul is the seat of the mind, will and emotions of the individual. It is the personality, the part that reveals his personhood. When we receive Jesus Christ, He comes to dwell in our spirit, and form that point on, we are His, lock stock and barrel, but any demonic strongholds are still in the soul and need to be kicked out. Often a person has deliverance right away, repenting of certain things that they cam attached to, but many, many times a believer's stronghold goes into hiding until growth in Christ encroaches on its territory, and a crisis will ensue for it. That is where many people will seek out help and the right people will be able to detect a demonic stronghold and help be rid of it immediately. Others are not so fortunate, and struggle a long time or for the rest of their lives without receiving freedom.

Here is a small excerpt from http://www.spiritualwarfaremanual.com/sample-chapter/

Paul talks about such things in 2 Corinthians 10:3-6

1. erroneous beliefs, persuasions, and teachings that lead to “acts of disobedience” (verse 5)
2. religious lies and deceptions the enemy uses to enslave us to his ways of thinking, his attitudes, and actions;
3. false arguments and pretensions that come against a true understanding (the knowledge) of God.

How do we know when we are faced with a stronghold, yoke, or bondage? They reveal themselves through our words and lifestyles:

• We are constantly critical of everyone and everything.
  • We minimize or negate true or positive things said about us by others.
  • We hide our bad habits.
  • Certain thoughts fill us with shame, guilt, or condemnation.
  • A particular behavior worsens over time.
  • We are driven by our impulses and desires.
We are unwilling to give up particular mindsets because we find security and protection with them. They are familiar to us and we believe there is “truth” in them.

Strongholds, yokes, and bondages can vary from minor to moderate to severe. Extreme forms include mindsets that greatly hinder us spiritually, socially, or physically, such as an addiction. Moderate strongholds may limit our fulfillment in life, yet we can still function effectively. For instance, if we believe that poverty equates to pious humility, we may give all of our money away. Minor thoughts such as the need to protect ourselves by lying can be eradicated through conviction from God, leading to our confession and repentance.

Here is a good description of what a stronghold is: http://www.greatbiblestudy.com/strongholds.php

Back