Demons - What Do We Believe?

I will give you my opinion on the difference between spirit, and soul. When God formed Adam,s body, and breathed into him the breath of life, a third component was created a "soul". Man was now spirit, soul, and body. Adam was very conscience of his physical surroundings because of his physical body, yet at the same time Adam was very conscience of his spiritual surroundings because of his spirit. The soul of man is were man is conscience of both worlds at the same time. When Adam sinned he lost the ability to be aware of his spiritual surroundings because his spirit died. Now he was forced to lean solely on his flesh to make choices. When we become born again our spirit is now exchanged with Christ who is now our new life. Man is now restored back to his ability to be conscience of both spiritual ad physical worlds.
The soul is where man,s will, conscience, and emotions reside. The soul receives input from the body, and the spirit of man, and then the soul of man makes his choices as what to do. The soul does not make any independent inquiries on it,s own, it simply uses input from the body and spirit to make it,s choice. Man now has a spiritual mind that dwells in his spirit (heart) not his physical brain. He also has a physical mind (brain) that allows him to operate in the physical world. The mind of Christ does not reside in the physical brain, it only resides in the heart of man. To be carnally minded is death, to be spiritually minded is life and peace. The word "repent" means to "change your mind". It does not mean to change what you thinking about, but to change from the carnal mind to the mind of Christ.
Thanks.

We know about the demons in the new testament, and the power they have. We know that in Christ they have no power. But as for everyone else (nonbelievers), do we believe demons are possessing people today? Or do you guys think that was just during that time?

Hello and what a great question. This is one of those subjects I believe needs some balance at times as we can under-estimate their presence and sometimes we go the other way and see demons in everything. However, the Word is pretty clear that we wrestle not against flesh and blood but power and principalities, those fallen angels now exist in various forms battling against God. I think every Christian needs at least a basic understanding of the demonic/unclean spirits for themselves so they can be fully aware of situations and circumstance.

When we look at the Word, we see that Jesus cast out unclean spirits at the beginning of an individuals salvation removing a deep rooted issue in the person's life. back then they were very aware of spirits and we should be too, there are individuals who come to Christ who will need those spirits removed however in the name of Jesus, that's easy!!!

From my own experiences, I can safely say yes there are unclean spirits present with some individuals and in the right place at the right time, these spirits are easily dispatched and the person set free by the power of God....hope this adds to the conversation...

Was the Apostle Paul's "thorn in the flesh", which we know to be a "messenger of Satan" Something that dwelled in him?

Was the Apostle Paul's "thorn in the flesh", which we know to be a "messenger of Satan" Something that dwelled in him?

No. The thorn in the flesh was a person, or people who were influenced by Satan to persecute him, to disrupt any acclaim that he would receive due to his great God-given revelation.

I always thought it was a disease related to his eyes. There are two verses that seem to indicate that Paul couldn't see very well (Galatians 4:15 and Galatians 6:11).

Can we equate demons as being the same thing as sin?

Rom 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
Rom 7:19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
Rom 7:20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

I always thought it was a disease related to his eyes. There are two verses that seem to indicate that Paul couldn't see very well (Galatians 4:15 and Galatians 6:11).

Paul was fully capable of appropriating his own healing. He didn't need God to remove a disease or condition, so he wasn't asking God to remove that. He wasn't suffering any illness. The messenger of Satan was a person or people.

I think the Bible tells otherwise. This is a good study:

No, Christians cannot be demon-possessed. Possession implies ownership, and Christians are not owned by the devil. Instead, we have been bought with a price, the blood of Jesus Christ (Acts 20:28; 1 Cor. 6:20; 7:23). Also, a demon cannot dwell in the house of the Lord because of the surpassing greatness of God's glory and purity. As Christians, we are the house of God (Heb. 10:21; 1 Tim. 3:15). We are indwelt by God when we receive Christ (John 1:12; 14:23). Furthermore, the Bible says "Greater is he that is in you than he that is in the world," (1 John 4:4). So, it would make no sense to affirm that demonic presence could actually inhabit a person who is also indwelt by God.

Furthermore, Jesus told a parable about casting demons out of someone that can shed some light here:

Matt. 12:43-45, “Now when the unclean spirit goes out of a man, it passes through waterless places, seeking rest, and does not find it. 44 “Then it says, ‘I will return to my house from which I came’; and when it comes, it finds it unoccupied, swept, and put in order. 45 “Then it goes, and takes along with it seven other spirits more wicked than itself, and they go in and live there; and the last state of that man becomes worse than the first. That is the way it will also be with this evil generation.”

As you can see, when someone is possessed and the demon is then cast out, the unclean spirit tries to come back later. Notice that Jesus says that in this case the house is found unoccupied. This most probably means that a person is not a Christian since the house is empty; that is, he does not have the indwelling presence of God. An empty house allows other spirits to enter into this person and his condition is worse than it was before.

So, it seems clear in scripture that a Christian cannot be demon-possessed.

http://carm.org/questions/about-demons/can-christians-be-demon-possessed

Hello and great thread. I would go with no, it couldn't be possible for a Christian to become possessed or receive an unclean spirit unless of course they were backsliding into the world and getting into some strange stuff. The enemy can create for himself a foothold though and as Paul put it, we're not ignorant of his devices (mind games) so a Christian can find themselves in the position of the enemy having a real foothold in their lives to which the truth need to shine....

Earlier, Ravindran wrote:

To which I responded:

I haven't thought of this stuff (in detail, anyway) for years. But it brings to mind the fact that until I was 36, I was harassed. Yes, I loved the L-rd, but I seemed to be in a constant fight. (Oh, I don't want to admit this. I don't want to think about it or believe it.) But while the children were in school, and I was alone in the apartment, I prayed, I submitted, I was in a personal state I had never known before, and it took the whole time the children were in school -- I was almost late to pick them up. But by the time it was over, I had taken several books out of the house as well as objects and even clothing. I must admit that the books were by Christians, on this subject. I haven't had another one of these in my possession since.

Afterward, I felt so clean. The apartment felt so clean. . . .

Another well honest and open testimony, blessings...

When I look at scripture and examine what the demons had to do, it was things like causing a person to be blind, deaf, dumb, and things of that nature. Do you think it's possible the same level of activity exist today, but we just have more medical terms for it?

I would have to say yes to a degree, sometimes it is just an illness (which can be healed by Christ) but the minsistry of Jesus showed us many situations where he and his diciples dispatched various forms of unclean spirits so yes, I have to say we may overlook this subject more often than we think....

Paul was fully capable of appropriating his own healing. He didn't need God to remove a disease or condition, so he wasn't asking God to remove that. He wasn't suffering any illness. The messenger of Satan was a person or people.

Paul never healed anyone. God healed people using Paul as a messenger. So, if God didn't want to heal Paul, Paul would have remained sick.

When God gives someone supernatural revelations concerning the Kingdom of God, and of God himself, Satan is not going to let that person stroll along in life without being opposed at ever turn. Paul's thorn was "a messenger of Satan"

Paul never healed anyone. God healed people using Paul as a messenger. So, if God didn't want to heal Paul, Paul would have remained sick.
I agree it was God through Paul, but does the Bible say it was not Paul?

That's like saying the gun didn't shoot the person it was the man that pulled the trigger. I mean technically yes, but yes it was still the gun also. Maybe technically we are getting too technical? Lol just kidding around.

I agree it was God through Paul, but does the Bible say it was not Paul?

That's like saying the gun didn't shoot the person it was the man that pulled the trigger. I mean technically yes, but yes it was still the gun also. Maybe technically we are getting too technical? Lol just kidding around.

In my opinion, God won't be happy if a Christian says "I healed John" or "I brought down this revelation" or "I multiplied the bread".

This pastor I know shared a story with me about this lady. He said this lady would always get this really bad pain in her leg and only at night. She went to the doctor and they couldn't find anything wrong. She is a Christian so she just wanted the pastor just to pray over her. He prayed for her but nothing happened. So he kept praying and I can't remember the exact words he said but he basically started commanding any evil that was causing it to leave. And a demon responded to him. Hold on I'm driving

Okay so the demon responded to him and told him that he had authority over the woman because of specific unforgiveness in her heart. He asked the woman about the specific unforgiveness and she was surprised that he knew because she hasn't told him about it. He said she needed to repent from that or the demon would have power to continue tormenting her.

Thoughts? Can we give power to the dark side by having hate, bitterness, or unforgiveness in our hearts even though we are Christians?

I'm usually skeptical when I hear demon stories, but this is a guy that is pretty consistent with his walk with Christ, and I don't normally hear these kinds of stories from him. His name is John Militaru. He's been delivering the gospel for longer then I've been alive. Feel free to look him up. And if you want me to ask him any questions about the story I wouldn't mind.

Okay so the demon responded to him and told him that he had authority over the woman because of specific unforgiveness in her heart. He asked the woman about the specific unforgiveness and she was surprised that he knew because she hasn't told him about it. He said she needed to repent from that or the demon would have power to continue tormenting her.

Thoughts? Can we give power to the dark side by having hate, bitterness, or unforgiveness in our hearts even though we are Christians?

Yes we can I'm afraid, Paul said we were required to forgive 'lest Satan have an advantage over us'. Difficult one but Paul said he forgave in the person of Christ meaning although he might not have felt true compassion or forgiveness at that point, he obeyed the Lord for the heart.....hope this helps...

PS - This is the only way a true Christian can ever give Satan an advantage over them as it wouldn;t be consistant with Christ's command to love....

Back