Could a 4 hour work week work ?

I dont know if you invest. but I am looking to try and learn how to invest in stock so I can maintain and grow what wealth I have. I dont know if investing is even biblical, but I like warren buffet and Charlie munger, they seem really nice chaps with good ethics. and I am inspired. maybe we could retire early 😊 and help more in other ways since we are sick of overworking.

edit: oh sorry this post was forGeneration forgiven61
Find a good investment company. Personally I use Generations Wealth Advisors. Have been happy with my guy.

I recall one prime minister in nz made a fortune on wall street so it can't be said he actually worked he just hustled for money. Is that work?
I guess it's still begging even if you beg from rich people. Or maybe gambling...although people call it 'investment'.

It's not like he dug diamonds out of the ground or built houses with his hands or taught school.
Being smart with your money is hustling?

I think most people learn to buy low and sell high..that's the way the investment game is played. It's just WHEN you do it that's the gamble.

I think most people learn to buy low and sell high..that's the way the investment game is played. It's just WHEN you do it that's the gamble.
You are talking of day trading. A good broker will diversify and adjust as needed. Investment for the long term isnt a gamble. Over time the market goes up and down and in the end is a good investment.

You are talking of day trading. A good broker will diversify and adjust as needed. Investment for the long term isnt a gamble. Over time the market goes up and down and in the end is a good investment.
I have been reading up on investing and from what I can gather, there are apps you can get that do it for you. I live in the UK so I dont know if your advisor would help me but PM with details if you think they would.

I have been reading up on investing and from what I can gather, there are apps you can get that do it for you. I live in the UK so I dont know if your advisor would help me but PM with details if you think they would.
Im sure there are investment advisors in your area. Personally I wouldnt use an app. Do an internet search in your area then call around. Talk to a few then choose one. Or better yet talk to a friend who invests. My church invested with the broker I have. Ive been with him for seven years and have done well.

Hello Via;

I feel we overlook a profound reason why we want to work. Throughout the Bible the Scriptures teaches us the positive of labor and the waste of idleness.

Whether I wanted to work, didn't want to work or didn't like my job, our labor on a higher standard is a ministry designed by God so that we may bless others.

Work builds up our character. How do we respond as Christians in the work environment, with each other and are we thankful daily to God who provides us an opportunity to earn our wages?

So when we imagine a 4 hour work week, or 4 hours a day work week, with all the robotics and higher salary, would this hinder our ministry since we don't have to work double the time we're already accustomed to?

America throughout it's young history has always held to good ethics of work and innovations of new ideas. I have to be honest I can't say the same today with all the government freebies.

God bless you, Via. I didn't know if this part of the topic was brought up.

More to come...
I think you hit the nail on the head. Why is an important question we must ask ourselves> The bible has the answers. And without a vision the people will perish. Thats been my problem lately. But I haven't found a solution. We hear of God calling others to work and wonder why we haven't been called. I never felt called to do the work I am doing now, and thats part of the problem why I am suffering from wanting to work only 4 hours a day.

well this thread has took a detour, from working less, to investing, to Gods Calling...lol

But I feel called now. To a career change. But sometimes I wonder why he didn't call me sooner? I dunno

I think you hit the nail on the head. Why is an important question we must ask ourselves> The bible has the answers. And without a vision the people will perish. Thats been my problem lately. But I haven't found a solution. We hear of God calling others to work and wonder why we haven't been called. I never felt called to do the work I am doing now, and thats part of the problem why I am suffering from wanting to work only 4 hours a day.

well this thread has took a detour, from working less, to investing, to Gods Calling...lol

But I feel called now. To a career change. But sometimes I wonder why he didn't call me sooner? I dunno
Im retired now but always wanted to work because I wanted to eat and feed the kids. :)

Crossfusius says:
The more you work, the more you buy. The more you buy the deeper the debt.
The deeper the dept, the more you need to work. A hole no one should enter.

yea why are you guys even talking about work
its Good Friday here

besides, nobody can earn salvation...it's a gift. Be thankful...consider the lilies of the field, they neither spin nor toil

Crossfusius says:
The more you work, the more you buy. The more you buy the deeper the debt.
The deeper the dept, the more you need to work. A hole no one should enter.
crossfucious,( 😂)

I dont know if I agree. we can have money and buy what we need and luxuries, as long as we only stay in our budget. I know first hand, what debt feels like and worked my way out of it. I learned never to go beyond my budget and it taught me to manage money better.

Apparently, over the covid time, there have been lots of self made millionaires. I think this is a good thing. Not only have they become independent, but they provide work for people. Surely they inspire?. But they dont always..., people are quick to curse them and become envious of them. I have come to believe its not the work thats the problem, but our sinful selves. I also think more people would enjoy work if we didn't have to go just in order to survive. People like to thrive, and they like to have meaning. They like to be of value to others, if they really like to be dependent on the nanny state, then I think its demoralising. And if government likes to keep people dependent on them, they are also helping to demoralise them.

There were jobs. Just not the ones they wanted.
true but they couldn't really afford to take them cos they had a HUGE student debt to pay off
It would have been better to leave school at 12 years old and not spend 6 or more years on further education and THEN find out what you trained for wouldn't take you.

Apparently, over the covid time, there have been lots of self made millionaires. I think this is a good thing. Not only have they become independent, but they provide work for people. Surely they inspire?. But they dont always..., people are quick to curse them and become envious of them. I have come to believe its not the work thats the problem, but our sinful selves. I also think more people would enjoy work if we didn't have to go just in order to survive. People like to thrive, and they like to have meaning. They like to be of value to others, if they really like to be dependent on the nanny state, then I think its demoralising. And if government likes to keep people dependent on them, they are also helping to demoralise them.
I think working in what you enjoy doing is important though for many people they are only seeing it as a means to an end.
It's important that you work WELL and doing the good works that God has for you to do.

The thing with God is he'll place this in your heart the work that He wants you do to. He won't have you become a baker if He didn't place that in your heart and you had an aversion to flour or kneading dough for example. He won't give you dreams if there was no way that they would come true.

Aside from that, no matter what you do, it's all for His glory.

A lot of people grow to dislike 'working for the man' and that is can be just as demoralising as depending on the nanny state. But being self-employed is not wonderful either because if you just doing it for yourself - you not really seeing the bigger picture of how your own work affects others. Keeping a clean house for example isn't just cos you like to be clean. Its so other people can comfortably visit too.

Back