Could a 4 hour work week work ?

Hello Via;

Ideally a 4 hour day would be sweet. That would amount to 24 hours a week with Sunday off. Unless the pay is double or triple 4 hours a day, we would have to have very low or 0% debt ratio.
Yes our wages must increase in order to pay who we owe.
But at the same time, Government ministers and politicians should be held accountable for misuse of public spending. So that to me means they should pay more towards the country debt if found liable that they have wasted public funds. I don’t yet know what that would entail, or even how it would come about.

But this would result in non production because the day's work results could not be met. Business, sales profit or nonprofit would suffer.
Tech is our friend. I love robotics. Would t they help?
Business would be transformed.
It would no longer be a profit for the self alone world. We could make quality stuff that lasts years and spend all our time on space colonisation and self improvement. God never told us to stop breeding.
I was confused at first because I was thinking of a friend who worked a 10 hr/4 day week with 3 days off. This turned out to be a productive work week all around.
I suppose it does depend on why we work. But I was thinking if everyone was paid handsomely enough to live on, on 4 hours a day, we could pursue lofty goals. ( everyone follow me into space lol🥳
In full time ministry there are no set hours a day, only as the Lord leads.
Your job is spiritual and valued as it is.
It wouldn’t feel the same receiving psychological air from say, robot Jim5678 the automated poster on line 9 . At least I don’t think I’d feel comfortable..
I feel the 8+ hour work day is still the proven work method.

God bless you, Via, and thank you for sharing this interesting topic.
I think your right. For now.

I've been salaried my whole like, so I have never received a $1.00 in overtime. I would say that, on average, I work from around 6am to 7pm almost daily. On Saturdays I put in maybe 5 - 6 hours. On Sunday, after coming back from Church at 1pm, I clock in maybe 3 - 4 hours. I will admit that I am well compensated for my work, but it would be the same working 40 hours or working 80 hours.

I would loke to have the same attitude by people have, which is "I get off at 3 and will not do anything after that." We are presently overwhelmed by the work we are being assigned, but none of them care and they have no issues telling me that. At this point, I am not sure who is right and who is wrong. No one in my office is older that 55 and I am 62. Maybe it is a generational thing, but I do not think so, since this has been my attitude my entire work like.

Rtm
I feel your pain ray. Whilst I am not salaried, I may as well be. I live at work in an apartment and have no a single penny to pay in any rent or any bills. I am in call 24/7 unless I’m on holiday. My manager is now trying to even make me feel guilty for taking holidays now.

I’m in between the devil and the deep blue sea.

Good jobs are available in the U.S. right now. People are having a hard time finding anyone who wants to work. My boys make good money and get all the hours they want. My girls have good paying office jobs too. Help wanted signs every where but nobody wants the work I guess.
I too believe good jobs are available. I’m fact, I would go as far as saying all jobs that are moral could be better if we changed our attitude and confronted our fears and beliefs.

Why do you think people don’t want to work?

I have seen people slacking because they think they are entitled to free stuff.

Maybe the problem is, that the lawnmowers your company makes don’t last very long.
Today my boss had fitted yet another geezer and it’s only been in situ for 18 months. And we have had 2 geezers and I have only worked here 3 years🙁

What happened to the days when things lasted 10 or even 20 years? I had a tv that was still going strong 20 years later….
no nothing last as long as it use to our problem is not the engines no one wants to work. we are turning away new customers . many are going to battery powered mowers . they are ok if you have a light grass to mow . anything heavy grass the battery wont last

no nothing last as long as it use to our problem is not the engines no one wants to work. we are turning away new customers . many are going to battery powered mowers . they are ok if you have a light grass to mow . anything heavy grass the battery wont last
Why don’t people want to work? Is it poor wages?
How do your people in America survive without jobs?

Yes I see. Those with good work ethics ought to be treated better and given the time at home as their behaviour shows.

We are seeing it here in the U.K. long hours and stressful travel in the office has proved to be a pain. Maybe those with bad work ethics will have to earn their freedom from the office. I can’t do my job from home, and even though I am paid poorly And work in a toxic work environment, it’s my job to change that which I am trying to do.

Another thing I think about is automation. If and when all physical jobs are automated whatever jobs will be created next, will we still be working all the hours God sends just to stay alive?
It is a time-honored tradition to beat up on our best workers. I had it done to me, when I was a "worker" and I now take part in it as a manager.

Most people, at least in my circumstance, do just enough to avoid being fired. A few, and I mean a few, do their jobs well and end up placing themselves in a position where they are counted on as dependable. At some point; however, this just burns them out. It is what they call a "catch 22."

Rtm

I'm not sure if it is that "they" do not want to work or that they don't like to do a particular job.

My first job lasted 24 years, 1 month, and 23 days. The number of bad days I had could probably be counted on one hand. The job I have now is also great but comes with a pretty impressive level of stress due mostly to increase work and not enough people to do it. I've only been here for @ 3 years, and I now need both hands to count the bad days.

In between the first and second job, I did "semi-retire" for about a year. Did not like it much, mostly because I was in my late 40s and the wife was still working.

Miami's current "poverty rate" is around 22% and a median income of $44,000. My folks make around $57,000, yet their number 1 complaint is not making more. They work from 7am to 3pm and not a minute more. They actually want less work, but more money. I guess we all want that, but not something that will happen.

I used to take a train to and from work, about an hour in either direction. Using public transportation really allows you to see the rest of the world. It always looked like a bunch of unhappy people headed to a job they did not like and did not pay well.

I'm so grateful for the opportunities God has given me throughout all these years.

I too believe good jobs are available. I’m fact, I would go as far as saying all jobs that are moral could be better if we changed our attitude and confronted our fears and beliefs.

Why do you think people don’t want to work?

I have seen people slacking because they think they are entitled to free stuff.
From what I see, there is a percentage of the population that thinks they are entitled to live off what others earn. They want support through government, tax payer funded, give away programs. There is a saying, some vote for a president, others vote for "free" stuff.

Hello Via;

I feel we overlook a profound reason why we want to work. Throughout the Bible the Scriptures teaches us the positive of labor and the waste of idleness.

Whether I wanted to work, didn't want to work or didn't like my job, our labor on a higher standard is a ministry designed by God so that we may bless others.

Work builds up our character. How do we respond as Christians in the work environment, with each other and are we thankful daily to God who provides us an opportunity to earn our wages?

So when we imagine a 4 hour work week, or 4 hours a day work week, with all the robotics and higher salary, would this hinder our ministry since we don't have to work double the time we're already accustomed to?

America throughout it's young history has always held to good ethics of work and innovations of new ideas. I have to be honest I can't say the same today with all the government freebies.

God bless you, Via. I didn't know if this part of the topic was brought up.

More to come...

It is a time-honored tradition to beat up on our best workers. I had it done to me, when I was a "worker" and I now take part in it as a manager.

Most people, at least in my circumstance, do just enough to avoid being fired. A few, and I mean a few, do their jobs well and end up placing themselves in a position where they are counted on as dependable. At some point; however, this just burns them out. It is what they call a "catch 22."

Rtm
I was brought up to work for others to the best of my ability too. in fact I do go above and beyond, not just for recognition but because I was taught it was the right thing to do. But I am seeing that people like us are sure taken advantage of. We do end up working more for less. And what annoys me is if I want to join a union, I have to pay for the privilege of having my sanity protected. I really can see where the saying; ' if you can't beat 'em, join 'em' comes from. But i will choose Gods Ways instead. Since I have started exercising Gods Rules, even though I am nice to my workers, I just refuse to do more now, BUT,... I am struggling with refusing to give a reason why. I still think I should have to justify myself☹️

Us women can be, errr, rather irrational at times😂

I was brought up to work for others to the best of my ability too. in fact I do go above and beyond, not just for recognition but because I was taught it was the right thing to do. But I am seeing that people like us are sure taken advantage of. We do end up working more for less. And what annoys me is if I want to join a union, I have to pay for the privilege of having my sanity protected. I really can see where the saying; ' if you can't beat 'em, join 'em' comes from. But i will choose Gods Ways instead. Since I have started exercising Gods Rules, even though I am nice to my workers, I just refuse to do more now, BUT,... I am struggling with refusing to give a reason why. I still think I should have to justify myself☹️

Us women can be, errr, rather irrational at times😂
Yup

I feel we overlook a profound reason why we want to work. Throughout the Bible the Scriptures teaches us the positive of labor and the waste of idleness.
your right any more we have Morris the cat workers finicky on jobs... i spent 20 years working at the charcoal plant . i did the dirtiest job when i got off work all you could see was my eyes. i was black from charcoal dust. working n sub zero temps to 100 degree temps in the summer !

i showered at work grabbed a bottle dawn dishwashing liquid soap . a good wash rag scrubbed away my hands was stained in it looked Looked i had eye lash shadow on. i did that for 5 years on the dock where the screened the lump charcoal.

i moved to the bagging shed i bagged 40 lb bags of coal 20 and 10 lb . we put the 10 lb bags into a another bag 5 at a time. we called it baling you used one arm to bail . then another man would pick them up pack down fold the bag tape it place it on a pallet . people would ask me how do you work there? i like to eat and i have bills to pay.

i have been with Briggs and Stratton going on 16 years in machinery dept . yes i get fed up and look at another job. i get fed up with corp factory work .
till i find the perfect job i may be there till i retire . i have even shampooed carpets in condos at a resort i did like that i would turn t,v on watch while shampooing the carpets.

i like what our plant manager said about our generation workers know . there game players not workers . if you own a push mower with a Briggs motor . it come from the plant i work at....

I dont know if you invest. but I am looking to try and learn how to invest in stock so I can maintain and grow what wealth I have. I dont know if investing is even biblical, but I like warren buffet and Charlie munger, they seem really nice chaps with good ethics. and I am inspired. maybe we could retire early 😊 and help more in other ways since we are sick of overworking.

edit: oh sorry this post was for forgiven61

I recall one prime minister in nz made a fortune on wall street so it can't be said he actually worked he just hustled for money. Is that work?
I guess it's still begging even if you beg from rich people. Or maybe gambling...although people call it 'investment'.

It's not like he dug diamonds out of the ground or built houses with his hands or taught school.

I recall one prime minister in nz made a fortune on wall street so it can't be said he actually worked he just hustled for money. Is that work?
I guess it's still begging even if you beg from rich people. Or maybe gambling...although people call it 'investment'.

It's not like he dug diamonds out of the ground or built houses with his hands or taught school.
I suppose day trading is gambling. I dont think I could do that.
but from what I have read, investing is hard work if you do it properly. although I am not sure yet what I need to do except pick good companies. easier said than done though.

But it can't be said investors do not work, they provide money to businesses in order for them to grow. maybe they just do mental work more than physical labour.

Wow Via, you are covering such a lot in your thread. We have to work that is true. Tes it is nice to learn by study too.

Not everyone has physical work.
There are many types of work including mental work. That can be very tiring too.
Perhaps the healthy way is to get balance of both.

There seems to me nothing wrong on enjoying your work. I wish everyone worked at something they love doing if possible. That must be healthy.

I dont know if you invest. but I am looking to try and learn how to invest in stock so I can maintain and grow what wealth I have. I dont know if investing is even biblical, but I like warren buffet and Charlie munger, they seem really nice chaps with good ethics. and I am inspired. maybe we could retire early 😊 and help more in other ways since we are sick of overworking.

edit: oh sorry this post was for forgiven61
the stock market is like a roller coaster ..its really a rich man world for investment . i was up on my
4o1k getting back what i lost. them bam lost most my gain .. its a investment that goes up and down . banks dont pay much on ira eother

Back