Church selling clothing now

I’m not sure how I feel about this. I like my church and we do a lot for the community and in the missionary field. But they recently decided to start selling “church merch” online. Things like t-shirts and hoodies. I think you order it online and pick it up at the church but I just don’t know if this is biblical or not.

I know Jesus threw out the money changers but I think that was more about corruption/ripping people off behaviors they were engaging in along with distracting from the worship focus of the temple. This church merch stuff isn’t being sold on the premises (yet) and, as far as I know, would be used for missionary/community outreach purposes. Is it akin to fundraising or should I be concerned?

Also, what are people’s thoughts about churches that sell coffee drinks and such?

I’m not sure how I feel about this. I like my church and we do a lot for the community and in the missionary field. But they recently decided to start selling “church merch” online. Things like t-shirts and hoodies. I think you order it online and pick it up at the church but I just don’t know if this is biblical or not.

I know Jesus threw out the money changers but I think that was more about corruption/ripping people off behaviors they were engaging in along with distracting from the worship focus of the temple. This church merch stuff isn’t being sold on the premises (yet) and, as far as I know, would be used for missionary/community outreach purposes. Is it akin to fundraising or should I be concerned?

Also, what are people’s thoughts about churches that sell coffee drinks and such?
this is something you should discuss with your pastor. sometime back we had a bigger church in the community start a fundraiser to pay off the building. big money items was given for online auctions..

yes they made the money to pay it off. imo the Church members give $$ to support the Church . you go in debt to build make sure you can pay it off. another church had a fire and insurance company did not want to pay off, they did few online auctions yard sales . but did not go over board... if a church really needs the funds to help out and not enough members to kick in funds. a one time thing maybe..

but in reality the offering goes to support the church that comes from with in. if not careful it leaves a bad impression on the Lost all this is just imo talk with your pastor express your concerns go from there

So for all the people saying to talk to the pastor, is the idea to make sure the money is going to outreach programs? If it is, is this biblical? I genuinely don’t know if selling wares is biblically acceptable or if it should all be tithing/giving from the heart for funds.

Short back story - I’m not a fan of this type of thing mainly because I had a very bad experience at a former church I attended where the pastor went on and on for SIX MONTHS about the importance of giving above and beyond a tithe so they can build a whole new church. His plans included multiple water slides in the parking lot in order to “attract new people.” When we and others voiced concerns about the hyper focus on money and spending on frivolous things, he brought it up in a sermon, dismissed our concerns, and literally said “we’re trying to build a new church, you idiots!” This was met with euphoric laughter and applause from most of the congregation. My wife and I stood up, walked out, and never returned.

So I admit I get a chip on my shoulder and a bit biased when fundraising efforts are pushed.

But again, is selling wares in a church biblical?

So for all the people saying to talk to the pastor, is the idea to make sure the money is going to outreach programs? If it is, is this biblical? I genuinely don’t know if selling wares is biblically acceptable or if it should all be tithing/giving from the heart for funds.

Short back story - I’m not a fan of this type of thing mainly because I had a very bad experience at a former church I attended where the pastor went on and on for SIX MONTHS about the importance of giving above and beyond a tithe so they can build a whole new church. His plans included multiple water slides in the parking lot in order to “attract new people.” When we and others voiced concerns about the hyper focus on money and spending on frivolous things, he brought it up in a sermon, dismissed our concerns, and literally said “we’re trying to build a new church, you idiots!” This was met with euphoric laughter and applause from most of the congregation. My wife and I stood up, walked out, and never returned.

So I admit I get a chip on my shoulder and a bit biased when fundraising efforts are pushed.

EDIT - talked to my wife and she corrected me that he said “morons”, not “idiots.”

talk to your pastor and deacons

Hello Skipper;

It's good to see you, brother. As (Pastor) forgiven posted, it's good to speak with your Pastor and Deacons and ask them.

Your Church is most likely a 501c3 non-profit. If your Church opens an online store the money earned from sales should be for non-profit and the proceeds can help with mission offerings, a benevolence fund for the poor and hungry, expenses within the church but should not be for profit.

There are many Scriptures in the Bible that teaches Christian charity. Here is one passage for example;

Acts 2:44, 44 And all who believed were together and had all things in common. 45 And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need.

Your former Pastor who went "on and on" about giving may not have known how to present Christian charity with proper reference to the Scriptures. If I heard you correct, by ending his sermon and calling the congregation idiots or morons may have received a good laugh but for those who didn't find it humorous, I don't blame you folks for walking out and withholding your offering at this Church.

As a Pastor I always had a church leader from the board of directors or maintenance ministry give this presentation (not a sermon) since the board involve the finances, budget and operational needs of the church. They would then present the need to our Pastoral leaders and myself as we oversee the need and pray what God says.

Hey
Skipper, have this conversation with your Pastor and / or Deacons. They know the autonomy (governance) of your Church and should be able to explain God's vision for this online store.

I hope this helps.

God bless
you, brother, and your family.

Hello Skipper;

It's good to see you, brother. As (Pastor) forgiven posted, it's good to speak with your Pastor and Deacons and ask them.

Your Church is most likely a 501c3 non-profit. If your Church opens an online store the money earned from sales should be for non-profit and the proceeds can help with mission offerings, a benevolence fund for the poor and hungry, expenses within the church but should not be for profit.

There are many Scriptures in the Bible that teaches Christian charity. Here is one passage for example;

Acts 2:44, 44 And all who believed were together and had all things in common. 45 And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need.

Your former Pastor who went "on and on" about giving may not have known how to present Christian charity with proper reference to the Scriptures. If I heard you correct, by ending his sermon by calling the congregation idiots or morons may have received a good laugh but for those who didn't find it humorous, I don't blame you folks for walking out and withholding your offering at this Church.

As a Pastor I always had a church leader from the board of directors or maintenance ministry give this presentation (not a sermon) since the board involves the finances, budget and operational needs of the church. They would then present the need to our Pastoral leaders and myself as we oversee the need and pray what God says.

Hey
Skipper, have this conversation with your Pastor and / or Deacons. They know the autonomy (governance) of your Church and should be able to explain God's vision for this online store.

I hope this helps.

God bless
you, brother, and your family.
Thank you, Bob, that was very helpful! So it sounds as though as long as the money is for furthering His kingdom and not raised in an immoral way, it should be fine.

What of my understanding of the money changers? I was taught they were selling overpriced animals for sacrificial offerings knowing people would have to pay their gouged prices. Was that the issue? Or is the lesson also about not selling anything on church grounds as it detracts from the worshiping aspect? I realize that seems superficial and simplistic but I guess I just need some clarification.

I think as long as people are not being forced or pressured to buy and the money goes to missions or other such programs it would be ok. As for the money changers, Jesus said they were making the house of God a den of thieves. I also heard they were over charging people, I also heard they were cheating the exchange rate for money. I don't think that applies to what your church is doing. We recently had a vendor from Israel bring his carvings to our church to sell, we were not pressured in any way to make a purchase and half of the proceeds went to a mission in Israel (the other half covered his costs).

I think as long as people are not being forced or pressured to buy and the money goes to missions or other such programs it would be ok. As for the money changers, Jesus said they were making the house of God a den of thieves. I also heard they were over charging people, I also heard they were cheating the exchange rate for money. I don't think that applies to what your church is doing. We recently had a vendor from Israel bring his carvings to our church to sell, we were not pressured in any way to make a purchase and half of the proceeds went to a mission in Israel (the other half covered his costs).
Thank you, Dave! Sounds like it’s just touching a nerve with me and I should pray to let go of the past resentment I seem to be harboring.

I know of no Scriptural passage that would condemn a church for selling merchandize at the church, as long as the merchandize is honoring to God, at a fair price, and is not in violation of other laws.

You have already mentioned what Jesus did in cleaning the temple. All of which describe the incidents (there were two) when Jesus "cleansed" the temple. When He saw the kinds of activities that were being carried on in His Father's house, He became very angry. Clearly, this was not what the temple was built for.

The temple was the place where God met with His people. This marketplace would have been obstructing worship, and specifically taking up space that had been set aside for Gentiles to worship. Evidently, both merchants and money changers were charging such excessive rates that the temple marketplace took on the atmosphere of a thieves' den (Matthew 21:13).

Such is not the case in today's churches. Purchases in a church bookstore or at a church craft sale, for example, are entirely voluntary. No purchase is necessary to attend worship.

Over the years, we have had many "Fund Raisers" for special none budgeted things such as a trip for the youth, or summer camp for teenagers and funding pregnancy centers but all of them were done in the FELLOWSHIP HALL and not in the sanctuary. Each event was publicized for a specific reason and none of the income was placed into the general fund to pay any bills.

It is up to the people of God to pay the expences for the people of God!

I know of no Scriptural passage that would condemn a church for selling merchandize at the church, as long as the merchandize is honoring to God, at a fair price, and is not in violation of other laws.

You have already mentioned what Jesus did in cleaning the temple. All of which describe the incidents (there were two) when Jesus "cleansed" the temple. When He saw the kinds of activities that were being carried on in His Father's house, He became very angry. Clearly, this was not what the temple was built for.

The temple was the place where God met with His people. This marketplace would have been obstructing worship, and specifically taking up space that had been set aside for Gentiles to worship. Evidently, both merchants and money changers were charging such excessive rates that the temple marketplace took on the atmosphere of a thieves' den (Matthew 21:13).

Such is not the case in today's churches. Purchases in a church bookstore or at a church craft sale, for example, are entirely voluntary. No purchase is necessary to attend worship.

Over the years, we have had many "Fund Raisers" for special none budgeted things such as a trip for the youth, or summer camp for teenagers and funding pregnancy centers but all of them were done in the FELLOWSHIP HALL and not in the sanctuary. Each event was publicized for a specific reason and none of the income was placed into the general fund to pay any bills.

It is up to the people of God to pay the expences for the people of God!
Thank you, Major!

mm well my local church has always had a car boot sale on Saturday mornings..people come sell things out of their car boots, and they keep all the profits, just have to pay like $5 for a parking space.

Imagine church leaders though who are doing this a lot and keeping the profits or spending it unwisely.

I guess priests or church leaders get a wage for their service but in a private one I’m not so sure actually.

Not saying they do this but how would we know they spend the money on the things they say they do and who benefits in the long run.

It’s like giving to charity. I see these horrible emotional adverts where we are almost made to feel guilty if we don’t give and it pulls on our heart strings.

We know though that people can sin and I’ve even heard about charities that set up just to reap the tax free benefits and stuff and money they get for free and actually been neglectful or abusive to their cause.

I suppose if we trust our pastors though( and I do) I suppose we wouldn’t really have any issues.

Imagine church leaders though who are doing this a lot and keeping the profits or spending it unwisely.

I guess priests or church leaders get a wage for their service but in a private one I’m not so sure actually.

Not saying they do this but how would we know they spend the money on the things they say they do and who benefits in the long run.

It’s like giving to charity. I see these horrible emotional adverts where we are almost made to feel guilty if we don’t give and it pulls on our heart strings.

We know though that people can sin and I’ve even heard about charities that set up just to reap the tax free benefits and stuff and money they get for free and actually been neglectful or abusive to their cause.

I suppose if we trust our pastors though( and I do) I suppose we wouldn’t really have any issues.
I’ve read of some that use something like 90-95% of donations toward “administrative costs” (i.e. salaries) rather than actually helping who they claim to help. They’re basically thieves but what’s worse is they take away from credible charities that genuinely need the donations and use them appropriately.

Anytime that there is a MAN/WOMAN involved in a situation where money is changing hands.....there will be theft!

Do ever wonder how much money is stolen by the bell ringers of the Salvation Army?

Suppose a man walks by the ringing bell, drops in a $100.00 dollar bill in front of the person who says..."Happy Holidays".
Now.....when no one looking, how many times do you think that bill says in the bucket????

Back