Church selling clothing now

I’ve read of some that use something like 90-95% of donations toward “administrative costs” (i.e. salaries) rather than actually helping who they claim to help.
This is very common with the phone calls we get to help the Police and Firefighters. Makes me angry!

There is a valuable tool to check the financial dealings of mid to major charities. I use this often to help guide my donations.

See link:
Charity Navigator

I don't know about Police never heard of raising money for them but as firefighters are volunteer run they do sell calendars for charity to raise funds to keep going.

I once go funding for a church garden through a eco-group that helped local communities, but I had to spend my own money first and get reimbursed, so it wasn't really fundraising more like a grant.

I have sold bulbs as a fundraiser for the community garden. Profits were used to buy wood for raised beds. I've also helped with sausage sizzles.

I have never sold clothing to raise funds for church though. I know they have had pyjama drives for the homeless. Most of my old, wearable clothes I've donated to op shops. Some op shops are run by churches eg Salvation Army.

Some churches make clothes for children or knit items and they send them to those in need. They don't sell them to rich people who ALREADY have clothes.

I don't know about Police never heard of raising money for them but as firefighters are volunteer run they do sell calendars for charity to raise funds to keep going. I once go funding for a church garden through a eco-group that helped local communities, but I had to spend my own money first and get reimbursed, so it wasn't really fundraising more like a grant. I have sold bulbs as a fundraiser for the community garden. Profits were used to buy wood for raised beds. I've also helped with sausage sizzles. I have never sold clothing to raise funds for church though. I know they have had pyjama drives for the homeless. Most of my old, wearable clothes I've donated to op shops. Some op shops are run by churches eg Salvation Army. Some churches make clothes for children or knit items and they send them to those in need. They don't sell them to rich people who ALREADY have clothes.

Hello Lanolin;

The only police and fireman funds I know of are the policeman's ball and fireman's pancake breakfast or spaghetti dinner.

When you mentioned selling bulbs for the community garden, do you mean light bulbs or plant bulbs?

I once sold our clothes at a flea market and actually made some sales. But that was the only time. This year I donated my jackets, sweaters, about 4 suit jackets, dress pants and shirts to the Salvation Army.

We also donated a bunch of good conditioned socks for the poor.

There are so many ways we can give.

Much of the world has so much abundance that we should do at least a once a year audit of giving away not junk, but good clothes and material things so others can use and enjoy them.

Yesterday donated 2 pairs of shoes to the Hospice shop. One was a black suede pair of wedges and the other white t-bar sandals, with quite a high heel. Good for fancy dress, I don't need them anymore.

They would have been bought for $150 at least brand new. Because they are dress shoes they haven't been worn every day just on occasion. Besides I can't really walk far in high heels.

My church sells merchandize all the time. It is usually during special advents; however, a couple of weeks ago, it was during weekend services.

I read a comment about selling online. I checked and apparently, we do too. The site notes the following: "100% of all funds raised will go to support Caring For Miami's Mobile Market." The Mobile Market thing is basically a bus that goes around delivering food to less fortunate folks.

We publish a budget, but it lumps up salaries under the heading of "Central Operations & Facilities." For this year, it is 30% of the budget (down from 32%) for $3,096,953, with the 2% reduction incorporated into weekend services $2,166,067 and Community Impact $1,000,000.

XRay

Back