Can Angels Move Physical Objects?

2 Kings 19:35 And it came to pass on a certain night that the angel of the LORD went out, and killed in the camp of the Assyrians one hundred and eighty-five thousand; and when [people] arose early in the morning, there were the corpses--all dead.
Right, but did they use physical objects to kill the Assyrians or super natural means?

Obviously I meant to ask, 'Can an unbeliever be demon possessed in the Church age?'
YES!

From missionaries’ experiences, with whom I have talked with, tell me that demon possession seems to be related to the worship of heathen idols and the possession of occult materials.

Many people open their lives up to demon involvement through the embracing of some sin or through occultic involvement (either knowingly or unknowingly). Examples may include immorality, drug/alcohol abuse that alters one’s state of consciousness, rebellion, bitterness, and transcendental meditation.

Right, but did they use physical objects to kill the Assyrians or super natural means?

As spiritual beings with power, they do indeed possess the means by which to move inanimate objects. We're not told if the Assyrians were killed by their own swords, or that they were supernaturally disillusioned and killed one another, or whatever. If the Lord wants them to utilize the power He has given to them to manipulate physical objects, then they will indeed do so.

So, the REAL question is, what would limit their ability to manipulate physical objects?

MM

As spiritual beings with power, they do indeed possess the means by which to move inanimate objects. We're not told if the Assyrians were killed by their own swords, or that they were supernaturally disillusioned and killed one another, or whatever. If the Lord wants them to utilize the power He has given to them to manipulate physical objects, then they will indeed do so.

So, the REAL question is, what would limit their ability to manipulate physical objects?

MM
Nothing!

In Sodom, angels pulled Lot back in the house, then they supernaturally blinded all of the men who are about to break that door down.

YES!

From missionaries’ experiences, with whom I have talked with, tell me that demon possession seems to be related to the worship of heathen idols and the possession of occult materials.

Many people open their lives up to demon involvement through the embracing of some sin or through occultic involvement (either knowingly or unknowingly). Examples may include immorality, drug/alcohol abuse that alters one’s state of consciousness, rebellion, bitterness, and transcendental meditation.
Ok, then demons can move pigs.

Yes but the OP is asking if angels can handle physical objects, not if they can speak and all fall down.
Bro.....I am on your side.

MM said...........
"We're not told if the Assyrians were killed by their own swords, or that they were supernaturally disillusioned and killed one another,"

That is what I was referring to.

I'm starting with 'can angels manipulate objects (with Scriptural support),.. were having enough trouble with just that.

Understood. The perspective I'm approaching the topic is this:

Asking as to if they can manipulate physical objects has to be predicated upon the assumption that there is a possibility that they cannot.

So, that's the target of my inquiry...why would they be limited to manipulating physical objects? What gives indication of such? If that is a possibility, then there would be greater merit for the question you asked.

Granted, we are not told how the angel wiped out the Assyrian army of 185,000 in one night, but the strength to do so is an obvious reality. Was it physical, illusion in their minds with each one seeing the other as an enemy combatant...many scenarios are possible.

This, then, leads to yet another question: Whether angels can manipulate physical objects or not, the fact remains that their work among humanity has physical, emotional and spiritual ramifications and results.

One might ask if an angel can lift a dinner fork off the table to eat with. If an angel manifests all the physical attributes of a physical human in one's home, and do so without their actual nature being detectable to the host, then it would seem reasonable that they can indeed manipulate physical objects, and even eat a meal with us:

Hebrews 13:2 Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so [doing] some have unwittingly entertained angels.

MM

So, that's the target of my inquiry...why would they be limited to manipulating physical objects? What gives indication of such? If that is a possibility, then there would be greater merit for the question you asked.
I never thought of limiting them to physical objects. I only wondered if they could handle physical objects.
One might ask if an angel can lift a dinner fork off the table to eat with. If an angel manifests all the physical attributes of a physical human in one's home, and do so without their actual nature being detectable to the host, then it would seem reasonable that they can indeed manipulate physical objects, and even eat a meal with us:

Hebrews 13:2 Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so [doing] some have unwittingly entertained angels.
i believe Hebrews is referring to human messengers as in Mt 25:35.

2 Kings 19:35
2Ki_19:35, 2Ki_19:36. An angel destroys the Assyrians.
in the morning ... they were all dead corpses — It was the miraculous interposition of the Almighty that defended Jerusalem. As to the secondary agent employed in the destruction of the Assyrian army, it is most probable that it was effected by a hot south wind, the simoon, such as to this day often envelops and destroys whole caravans. This conjecture is supported by 2Ki_19:7 and Jer_51:1. The destruction was during the night; the officers and soldiers, being in full security, were negligent; their discipline was relaxed; the camp guards were not alert, or perhaps they themselves were the first taken off, and those who slept, not wrapped up, imbibed the poison plentifully. If this had been an evening of dissolute mirth (no uncommon thing in a camp), their joy (perhaps for a victory), or “the first night of their attacking the city,” says Josephus, became, by its effects, one means of their destruction [Calmet, Fragments].

Just a thought, but not what you would call an angel.

(Jamison Fawcett Brown)

The Lord did use nature (his creation) as we know. But it does say an angel, so perhaps this explanation is best ignored.

It looks like you got that copy and paste from biblehub.com...

Commentaries sometimes come up with some seriously strange things...to say the least.

MM

Back