Bible Study - Giving up.

I shared with someone how I do bible study. I thoroughly go to the commentaries, cross references, strongs book concordance, various others to do the study. Write them down in my observations.

Apparently I misunderstand and misapply. I guess when I do it SOAP way. I need something that I can do that's not going to be taxing due to my health [I only have so much energy before I get exhausted and it's difficult to comprehend].

Only way I can be sure is if I study Dr. Arnold G. Fruchtenbaum going back to Jewish Roots. I find his material very difficult to understand. I am trying.

I guess soap is a bad way to study. So I guess I will just throw everything out then. Delete and erase my studies. Since I am misunderstanding everything.

I just feel like what's the point if there is only 1 way to study, and Christianity has it all wrong with [only Dr. Arnold G. Fruchtenbaum] is right. I am deeply hurt and I don't even want to study anymore. I guess I have it "all wrong." I'm never going to get it :(

Hello TiC;

There is no cookie cutter way to study the Bible. The study approach for some may be different to another.

I feel you have set your guide how to approach Bible studies but it’s always good to make adjustments, tapering back research or adding more; as long as you are gaining knowledge of the text. Don’t be discouraged.

What is SOAP?

When I study I also use cross references but have learned to balance between research and the matter of the subject.

I’m keeping you in prayer as you study.

Bob in faith

I shared with someone how I do bible study. I thoroughly go to the commentaries, cross references, strongs book concordance, various others to do the study. Write them down in my observations.

Apparently I misunderstand and misapply. I guess when I do it SOAP way. I need something that I can do that's not going to be taxing due to my health [I only have so much energy before I get exhausted and it's difficult to comprehend].

Only way I can be sure is if I study Dr. Arnold G. Fruchtenbaum going back to Jewish Roots. I find his material very difficult to understand. I am trying.

I guess soap is a bad way to study. So I guess I will just throw everything out then. Delete and erase my studies. Since I am misunderstanding everything.

I just feel like what's the point if there is only 1 way to study, and Christianity has it all wrong with [only Dr. Arnold G. Fruchtenbaum] is right. I am deeply hurt and I don't even want to study anymore. I guess I have it "all wrong." I'm never going to get it :(
nothing wrong in your study method many times i type in words like he has given us all things.. then see it turns up.. you can tell the junk from the good stuff .just use caution you have discernment

Hello TiC;

There is no cookie cutter way to study the Bible. The study approach for some may be different to another.

I feel you have set your guide how to approach Bible studies but it’s always good to make adjustments, tapering back research or adding more; as long as you are gaining knowledge of the text. Don’t be discouraged.

What is SOAP?

When I study I also use cross references but have learned to balance between research and the matter of the subject.

Bob in faith

Attachments

• 187332068.jpg
    187332068.jpg
    603.8 KB · Views: 13
Hello TiC;

What is SOAP?

Bob in faith
I uploaded what SOAP means bobinfaith

Hello TiC;

I never heard of this acronym SOAP - Scripture Observation Application Prayer.

Anyway, as far as your study technique, you’re doing fine. You’re only attempting to find ways to adjust and arrive at learning God’s Word and passing it on to other new believers.

I wish I had more disciples like you when I taught Bible and Sunday school.

God bless you, sister.

Bob in faith

IT seems to me that you are doing a really good job.

For me, I do the KISS method. That along with the five Ws (and one H) approach.

Who (who is speaking; who is the intended audience; who is present in the moment, etc.)
What (is this passage about; what problem is this addressing; what is happening; what is being said;
When (when is this event taking place?)
Where (where is this event taking place, where does it fit in the larger context of the book and Scripture?)
Why (why is this message needed, why is it relevant today?)
How (how does this change what I know about God and humanity; how do I apply this to my life so that I can live more faithfully?

IT seems to me that you are doing a really good job.

For me, I do the KISS method. That along with the five Ws (and one H) approach.

Who (who is speaking; who is the intended audience; who is present in the moment, etc.)
What (is this passage about; what problem is this addressing; what is happening; what is being said;
When (when is this event taking place?)
Where (where is this event taking place, where does it fit in the larger context of the book and Scripture?)
Why (why is this message needed, why is it relevant today?)
How (how does this change what I know about God and humanity; how do I apply this to my life so that I can live more faithfully?
I like that.

SOAP on Luke 5 via Daily SOAP app - sample of mine.

SCRIPTURE:
And they said to him, “The disciples of John fast often and offer prayers, and so do the disciples of the Pharisees, but yours eat and drink.” And Jesus said to them, “Can you make wedding guests fast while the bridegroom is with them? The days will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them, and then they will fast in those days.” He also told them a parable: “No one tears a piece from a new garment and puts it on an old garment. If he does, he will tear the new, and the piece from the new will not match the old. And no one puts new wine into old wineskins. If he does, the new wine will burst the skins and it will be spilled, and the skins will be destroyed. But new wine must be put into fresh wineskins. And no one after drinking old wine desires new, for he says, ‘The old is good.’”
Luke 5:33-39 (ESV)

OBSERVATION:
It would be futile to try to combine the new religion with man-made legalism. The new religion would be spoiled, and in way case the two way could not be combined, just as an unshrunk piece of cloth will pull away from an old garment or fermenting whine will burst old skin containers that have lost their elasticity. V 39 is probably an ironic comment on Jews who rejected the new wine of the gospel and held that the old ways were better.

These two parables illustrate the fact that you can’t mix old religious rituals with new faith in Jesus. Jesus disciples were not fasting along with the Pharisees and John’s disciples because they were now under the new covenant of grace and faith in Christ. As mentioned earlier, Jesus fulfilled the law; therefore, there is no longer any need to contiune with the old rituals. Jesus cannot be added to a works-based religion. In the case of the Pharisees, they were consumed with their own self-righteousness, and faith in Jesus cannot be combined with self-righteousness rituals.

APPLICATION:
No matter what I do. Whatever beliefs that constitutes that work must be done, or a ritual or belief that goes outside of the only one that can truly save is Jesus Christ [is false]. Believing in the person of Jesus that he is the one that has given atonement for all of our sins. We trust Him as a person, that He has saved us. It is not an intellectual based faith of facts, based on history or beliefs, or rituals - there is true assurance in Jesus Christ knowing what He did at the cross is finished and nothing else needs to be added. If we contiune to hold on to these old beliefs - they are works of self-righteousness and Jesus cannot be added to it. New religion would be spoiled [having faith in Christ mixed with work based rituals and beliefs would turn into legalism when Jesus came to bring grace and salvation. The two cannot be combined because they are on two opposite beliefs and spectrums. Works-based [legalism] vs Jesus Christ [grace]. legalism kills grace.

PRAYER:
Dear Father God,
Please help me to know you more. Help me to understand and contiune to go deeper in Your Word. Jesus I want to have an intimate relationship with you as a person. Not just an idea or a factor or a belief. I want to be transformed, I want my life to shout out your salvation and grace. Help me to be solid in the gospel, in doctrine and be able to address all walks of life. I know I am just a simple person in a wheelchair. My mind isn’t that sharp, I have a hard time organizing my thoughts, remembering, and reciting important information and recollection of history and scriptures. I want to share the gospel with gentleness, respect and compassion. I want the Holy Spirit to work within me. I don’t want to be like a frog in my throat. I want to be able to calm, collected, discerning and speak the truth so that people can know Jesus Christ as Lord. Sometimes I don’t know how to do that. I don’t want just to be spiritual but be able to engage people to intellectually. To be to draw them and to plants the seeds, have deep discussions and come humbly to serve and share. Not come with a combative attutitude, or desperation. Form relationships and fulfil the commission you have called us to do. Help us to further your Kingdom Father. Guide us when to speak, when to shut up and to pray. Teach us Holy Spirit. We desire to grow deeper, be changed, understand theology and truly know why. Surface is not enough anymore. We want to know you Jesus Christ. Take us places that we need to go in order to grow, be discipled by you. Bring us in fellowship with others who will challenges us, sharpen us, grow us, allow us to wrestle and to encourage us to continue to seek ask and knock - all for your glory and our good. In Jesus Name Amen.

SOAP on Luke 5 via Daily SOAP app - sample of mine.

SCRIPTURE:
And they said to him, “The disciples of John fast often and offer prayers, and so do the disciples of the Pharisees, but yours eat and drink.” And Jesus said to them, “Can you make wedding guests fast while the bridegroom is with them? The days will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them, and then they will fast in those days.” He also told them a parable: “No one tears a piece from a new garment and puts it on an old garment. If he does, he will tear the new, and the piece from the new will not match the old. And no one puts new wine into old wineskins. If he does, the new wine will burst the skins and it will be spilled, and the skins will be destroyed. But new wine must be put into fresh wineskins. And no one after drinking old wine desires new, for he says, ‘The old is good.’”
Luke 5:33-39 (ESV)

OBSERVATION:
It would be futile to try to combine the new religion with man-made legalism. The new religion would be spoiled, and in way case the two way could not be combined, just as an unshrunk piece of cloth will pull away from an old garment or fermenting whine will burst old skin containers that have lost their elasticity. V 39 is probably an ironic comment on Jews who rejected the new wine of the gospel and held that the old ways were better.

These two parables illustrate the fact that you can’t mix old religious rituals with new faith in Jesus. Jesus disciples were not fasting along with the Pharisees and John’s disciples because they were now under the new covenant of grace and faith in Christ. As mentioned earlier, Jesus fulfilled the law; therefore, there is no longer any need to contiune with the old rituals. Jesus cannot be added to a works-based religion. In the case of the Pharisees, they were consumed with their own self-righteousness, and faith in Jesus cannot be combined with self-righteousness rituals.

APPLICATION:
No matter what I do. Whatever beliefs that constitutes that work must be done, or a ritual or belief that goes outside of the only one that can truly save is Jesus Christ [is false]. Believing in the person of Jesus that he is the one that has given atonement for all of our sins. We trust Him as a person, that He has saved us. It is not an intellectual based faith of facts, based on history or beliefs, or rituals - there is true assurance in Jesus Christ knowing what He did at the cross is finished and nothing else needs to be added. If we contiune to hold on to these old beliefs - they are works of self-righteousness and Jesus cannot be added to it. New religion would be spoiled [having faith in Christ mixed with work based rituals and beliefs would turn into legalism when Jesus came to bring grace and salvation. The two cannot be combined because they are on two opposite beliefs and spectrums. Works-based [legalism] vs Jesus Christ [grace]. legalism kills grace.

PRAYER:
Dear Father God,
Please help me to know you more. Help me to understand and contiune to go deeper in Your Word. Jesus I want to have an intimate relationship with you as a person. Not just an idea or a factor or a belief. I want to be transformed, I want my life to shout out your salvation and grace. Help me to be solid in the gospel, in doctrine and be able to address all walks of life. I know I am just a simple person in a wheelchair. My mind isn’t that sharp, I have a hard time organizing my thoughts, remembering, and reciting important information and recollection of history and scriptures. I want to share the gospel with gentleness, respect and compassion. I want the Holy Spirit to work within me. I don’t want to be like a frog in my throat. I want to be able to calm, collected, discerning and speak the truth so that people can know Jesus Christ as Lord. Sometimes I don’t know how to do that. I don’t want just to be spiritual but be able to engage people to intellectually. To be to draw them and to plants the seeds, have deep discussions and come humbly to serve and share. Not come with a combative attutitude, or desperation. Form relationships and fulfil the commission you have called us to do. Help us to further your Kingdom Father. Guide us when to speak, when to shut up and to pray. Teach us Holy Spirit. We desire to grow deeper, be changed, understand theology and truly know why. Surface is not enough anymore. We want to know you Jesus Christ. Take us places that we need to go in order to grow, be discipled by you. Bring us in fellowship with others who will challenges us, sharpen us, grow us, allow us to wrestle and to encourage us to continue to seek ask and knock - all for your glory and our good. In Jesus Name Amen.
Yep! Good method!

one thing to learn its good to get advice //but mot seek the approval of man

I’m curious, forgiven. All the years you have been studying God’s Word, did you ever come across someone who was trying seeking your approval in a false teaching or advice? How did you respond to him/her?

My wife and I just finished studying Ecclesiastes and in 12:12, Of making many books there is no end, and much study is wearisome to the flesh. - NKJV

We believe Solomon was teaching that not all study comes from the True God if we aren’t careful.

Your thoughts?

did you ever come across someone who was trying seeking your approval in a false teaching or advice? How did you respond to him/her?
there i big space in false teaching... in most cases its about denominations.. i have dealt with the j.w out in the front yard in listening . i was nice and polite to him told him where i stood . we shook hands he went on. i had a young man and a gma while back come up. i told them i was a pastor and have a good day. one teaching i will stand against very hard apostolic baptized for the remission of sins . no amount water will take sin away..

years ago i did a email correspondence with a Calvinist. who did his best convert me over. he gave me his doctrine via email. i countered him with scriptures each time. he seemed like a good person he had Parkinson. this went on close to a month every day. he gave up quit emailing me.

this is how i operate i dont have time for anything strange i dont understand. . Ecclesiastes is a deep book and it can make you stand on your head when reading it. back to my point of false teaching as i stated i am a simple man with simple ways. when i study i examine scripture from every angle . i look up words i read what others has to say. then i hear this most immature Christians reads commentaries . amazing i have heard many preachers with DR degree quote other commentators .

i had a buddy i use to work with he was independent fundamentalist's Baptist.. they had some good fired up preachers in church camp. he would record on c.d and bring me to work..

i heard one say eh read the right Bible he sang the right hymns. every thing he done was right. IDF are very hard core . one other doctrine i failed to mention that will cause me to stand hard against.. being baptized into a church for membership .i asked a lady about that her reply im sure its in the Bible my pastor could tell you.. no he cant because its not Bible. to TIC i know i ruffled feathers when i said not to seek the approval of men ,,that was advice not a direct reply...

a former pastor of a good 60 years listened to me preach.. yes i was nervous i respected this man.. he forgot more than i can remember ! after the service he came to me said your growing and walked of. . i cut my teeth on fathers in the Lord pastors . but i seldom get some one asking of my approval. i tell them its not me you need approval from.

Back