Are Piercings Allowed?

Are piercings allowed in Christianity?

• Yes.

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • No.

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
first you ask this: "is it against God" ???
if not, then you ask this:
is it just because I like it or is it vanity ???
it's all about your hearts motives (kevenah) ..
if it is just because you like that style, there is no problem ..
but ego is our biggest enemy .. and something we always need to watch for ..

a Christian's goal is to have a heart of pure motives ..
and a clear conscious of honesty of our hearts motives ..
so PROTECT your heart from that which can defile it ..

BTW: I have a Hard Rock Copenhagen t-shirt ..

You guys need to listen to yourselves...You are discussing 'carnal things'. They who are still in the flesh mind the things of the flesh. How about being concerned if you are doing the will of God with a pure heart while there is still time...Reject the flesh and live to the Spirit. Who cares about tattoes and t-shirt logos when there are millions of people who do not know Christ. Jesus said that your life is dead in this world if you are truly risen with Him. He said seek Heavenly things not earthly...You mean to tell me that wasting your resources on tattoes instead of buying Bibles and seeking the lost is seeking Heavenly things and storing up heavenly treasure...WAKE UP!!!!

Luk 8:14 And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection.

TC

LysanderShapiro said [quote=" For instance having "Norman Rockwell" on my arm because I love the artist's work isn't bad. If I
[/quote]

Please reconcile that statement with this for me...

1Jn 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
1Jn 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

TC

You guys need to listen to yourselves...
TC

you guys ????

I am speaking to one who wants to learn and possibly become a Christian ..
you sound like the Pharisees who tried to rebuke Jesus for eating and drinking with them ..
I ask .. what spirit are you of ???
what I hear is ego and see you trying to beat your chest before all ..

I REITERATE ..
each does have liberty, but you can define that liberty like this ..

a Christian's goal is to have a heart of pure motives (1Pe 1:16) ..

you guys ????

I am speaking to one who wants to learn and possibly become a Christian ..
you sound like the Pharisees who tried to rebuke Jesus for eating and drinking with them ..
I ask .. what spirit are you of ???
what I hear is ego and see you trying to beat your chest before all ..

I REITERATE ..
each does have liberty, but you can define that liberty like this ..

a Christian's goal is to have a heart of pure motives (1Pe 1:16) ..

the HS gave me the words .. so go ahead and say they are not Godly words ..

the HS gave me the words .. so go ahead and say they are not Godly words ..

Your words are carnal minded and the Holy Spirit is Spiritual...Perhaps you should test what 'spirit; you are hearing because not all spirits are of God. God instructs us in righteousness, not in what kind of tattoo we should or shouldn't have. The things of the flesh strive against the Spirit. Here is my advice..don't get a tattoo, get a circumcised heart. It is a little more painful but it is free and lasts forever...

TC

:ROFLMAO: You two make me laugh. TC you are spot on in post #21. But you are rebuking too harshly. What Ixoye posted was very helpful too. He is wielding the sword with a bit more skill on this subject as is Lysander. It sounds like they 'have been there done that' and can really guide readers to the Lord with this type of discussion.

:ROFLMAO: You two make me laugh. TC you are spot on in post #21. But you are rebuking too harshly. What Ixoye posted was very helpful too. He is wielding the sword with a bit more skill on this subject as is Lysander. It sounds like they 'have been there done that' and can really guide readers to the Lord with this type of discussion.

You know what King J...American Christians make me sick. While the rest of the world is in turmoil and many Christians are being killed for the Lord's name, people here are having a good time, concerned about the carnal things of life and they are going to be found foolish on that day. I will rebuke with all authority no man despising me. I would rather them take heed now and seek after spiritual things rather than finding out the hard way when the Lord rips open the sky and sends His angels down to gather those who did not endure sound doctrine.

2Th 1:7 And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,
2Th 1:8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

Mat 13:49 So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just,

1Th 4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

If that day comes tomorrow and you happen to be in the middle of getting a tattoo instead of serving God with your heart and life, you will regret it.

TC

TC,

Is your position that if a Christian is in the midst of getting a tattoo when the rapture occurs, they won't be taken up? God will be like, "Yeah, I know you believe in me and have accepted Jesus as your personal savior.....but you're getting a tattoo, so bye!"

I could NEVER imagine Jesus who is our example walking around with worldly fashions including tattoos or body piercings. When we believe that the masses are heaven-bound we are deceived. Our body is refered to as the temple of the Holy Ghost.......Don't desecrate God's holy temple. Anyone can follow the crowd, but Jesus calls us to be holy because He is holy.(Separated unto Him)
I'm glad that I don't have to poke holes in various places of my body, wear an earing or two, get a tattoo, dye my hair orange, wear the same kind of clothes hollywood and fashion magazines promote to be a Christian

I could NEVER imagine Jesus who is our example walking around with worldly fashions including tattoos or body piercings. When we believe that the masses are heaven-bound we are deceived. Our body is refered to as the temple of the Holy Ghost.......Don't desecrate God's holy temple. Anyone can follow the crowd, but Jesus calls us to be holy because He is holy.(Separated unto Him)
I'm glad that I don't have to poke holes in various places of my body, wear an earing or two, get a tattoo, dye my hair orange, wear the same kind of clothes hollywood and fashion magazines promote to be a Christian

While it's true that our bodies are temples of the Lord, tattoos and piercings (generally speaking of course) don't seem to be strictly within that framework. For instance, a tattoo (or even a collection of tattoos) isn't equal to mutilation, but mutilation itself disrespects the notion that the body is a temple.

When the concept of our bodies being treated respectfully as temples is addressed, it is more in regards to sin of the flesh; promiscuity, gluttony, suicide, drug abuse or excess drinking, etc.

In fact, gluttony seems to almost be a forgotten sin of today. It can be such a hidden line as food is necessary and enjoying food isn't wrong, but the excess of it becomes iffy.

By no means do I mean disrespect in saying this, but while I suspect you are sincere about the body being treated with dignity as it is an instrument of God, you also seem annoyed with 90s teenage fashion...which is OK if you are, but that's more of a matter of taste rather than a subject of divine law.

TC,

Is your position that if a Christian is in the midst of getting a tattoo when the rapture occurs, they won't be taken up? God will be like, "Yeah, I know you believe in me and have accepted Jesus as your personal savior.....but you're getting a tattoo, so bye!"

For all that is in the world the lust of the flesh...IS NOT OF THE FATHER. Just because a person claims to believe does not make them a believer. God knoweth those who trust in Him, but the ungodly shall perish. If you live to the flesh you will die...

Rom 8:5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
Rom 8:6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
Rom 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
Rom 8:8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

1Pe 4:2 That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God

Gal 6:8 For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

Gal 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
Gal 5:17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

What part of all that doesn't make sense to you?

TC

TC,

There is not going to be a 'rapture' before Jesus returns to judge. We will be together until the day of 'the harvest'. The catching away is for those who remain after the angels take the wicked away first.

Mat 13:30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

Mat 13:38 The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one;
Mat 13:39 The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels.

2Th 1:7 And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,

Mat 13:49 So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just

1Th 4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

When does Jesus come on the clouds:
Mar 13:24 But in those days, after that tribulation, the sun shall be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light,
Mar 13:25 And the stars of heaven shall fall, and the powers that are in heaven shall be shaken.
Mar 13:26 And then shall they see the Son of man coming in the clouds with great power and glory.

The whole 'rapture theory' is garbage...The wicked are leaving first.

Psa 91:7 A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
Psa 91:8 Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.

Please go read the whole PDF it completely destroys the pre-tribulation rapture theory...

TC

For all that is in the world the lust of the flesh...IS NOT OF THE FATHER.
Who said anything about lust? We're talking about tattoos here.

Just because a person claims to believe does not make them a believer. God knoweth those who trust in Him, but the ungodly shall perish.
I agree that just saying "I'm a believer" doesn't make you a believer. Believing in Christ is what makes you a believer, and it's not at all based on whether you get a tattoo.

Rom 8:5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
Rom 8:6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
Rom 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

1Pe 4:2 That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God

Gal 6:8 For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

Gal 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
Gal 5:17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

What part of all that doesn't make sense to you?[/quote]
That you think any of that has anything to do with tattoos.

There is not going to be a 'rapture' before Jesus returns to judge. The catching away is for those who remain after the angels take the wicked away on the day of Judgment...
You're missing the point of my question. Do you think getting a tattoo is a salvation issue?

For all that is in the world the lust of the flesh...IS NOT OF THE FATHER. Just because a person claims to believe does not make them a believer. God knoweth those who trust in Him, but the ungodly shall perish. If you live to the flesh you will die...

TC

In all fairness, I don't think that was RiverJordan's statement.

The real question at hand is whether or not tattoos and piercings are all in all mortal sins. Some believe they are as they think they are on the same page as self-mutilation (and sometimes, they can be used that way).

Who said anything about lust? We're talking about tattoos here.

I agree that just saying "I'm a believer" doesn't make you a believer. Believing in Christ is what makes you a believer, and it's not at all based on whether you get a tattoo.

That you think any of that has anything to do with tattoos.

You're missing the point of my question. Do you think getting a tattoo is a salvation issue?[/quote]

My point is if you are walking according to the flesh it is because you are not led of the Spirit. Those who are not led of the Spirit are not saved. Yes it is a salvation issue...If you live to the things of the flesh, you are not born again. The lust of the flesh comes in many forms- idolatry is the most common...covetousness is another, adultery and so on..They are all forms of lust. As Paul said- I had not know lust except the scriptures say not to covet. I am not saying that he is 'sinning' by getting a tattoo, I am saying that 'living according to the flesh and fulfilling the lusts of the flesh' are things that those who are not born again do.

TC

My view on this is similar to how Paul describes eating food offered to idols. In 1 Corinthians. It does not do anything to our Salvation! Absolutely nothing. Because Salvation is about tattoos or piercings..

Everyone should know, ear piercing is part of many cultures. Back in India, every girl/women get their ear pierced. But the thing is, if a Christian girl in India has her ears pierced, it does not mean anything. It is not like endorsing some pagan type of thing. It does not do any harm to faith of anyone.

Whereas in US, there is always this question on whether it is right or wrong. If this is going to raise questions for a new believer, then why do it? So don't look at it from legalistic perspective. The same would hold true for food sacrificed to idols! In US, no one would bother. Back in India it is a big thing. We live among so many hindus. In most of the houses, they offer food to hindu gods every day. If Christians eat that food, a new believers gets confused a lot. Because they are told one should "never" eat food offered to idols because they would become demon possessed :) Now as a mature Christian should I just go ahead and eat it because idols are nothing but stones which cannot speak or hear? What will it do to the faith of the new believer? I would look at piercing the same way. Applying it to the culture of USA

I got a tattoo when I was 18 and I regret it to this day. I have my ears pierced, but rarely wear earrings. I'm not sure how I feel about either in a general sense. I feel it was wrong of me to get my ex's name tattooed on me. Luckily, it is my ds' middle name, but I don't have my other kids names on there, so we all know who's name it really is. Anyway, all that to say... I should have been more focused on God instead of putting a persons name on my body.

I got a tattoo when I was 18 and I regret it to this day. I have my ears pierced, but rarely wear earrings. I'm not sure how I feel about either in a general sense. I feel it was wrong of me to get my ex's name tattooed on me. Luckily, it is my ds' middle name, but I don't have my other kids names on there, so we all know who's name it really is. Anyway, all that to say... I should have been more focused on God instead of putting a persons name on my body.

Perhaps, but this seems more of an imprudent mistake rather than a mistake in conflict with faith. Granted, tattoos aren't for everyone, in fact, some ought not get them in for some reason it does cause some sort of drift within their spiritual life, but this wouldn't mean the tattoo or the piercing is now a sin across the board.

I used this as an example previously, but if someone enjoys getting piercings (even in more innocent places like ears or a nose stud) but for a hedonistic drive it gives this person, then that person ought not get the piercings -- that person's problem isn't just skin deep.

Take alcohol for instance; it's OK to drink alcohol in moderation, but for some, they should stay away from it altogether if perhaps they are alcoholics or have a problem with moderation.

Last edited:
Back