Votes: 3 60.0%
  • No.

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
no one said this life was pointless ..
we have two choices ..
live our lives for self ..
live our lives for God ..

I live my life for God so I seek to serve Him ..
If I live I bear more fruit for Him ..
If I die I go to be with Him ..
so much like Paul, either one works for me ..
Town Crier said "I'm not here to have the best life now". Well, God gave me the gift of life and I intend to enjoy it as best I can. If my entire life is spent obsessing over things, then IMO I have wasted that gift.

Didn't Christ ask us not to be like this? When we are fasting, we are supposed to look good so that we are not "showing off" what we are going for Christ. There is nothing we can give back to our Lord by forsaking these worldly things. We should not go behind materialistic blessings. The only way we can glorify God is to thank Him from bottom of our heart that everything we have is from Him. Even the smallest of things we posses.
Be like what? That is the whole point...before I was converted, I was like the world, conformed to it in every way you can image...Jesus said to forsake the world, come out from the unclean thing, and He gives us the Holy Spirit to do just that. Most today who confess Christ are still of the world, the Holy Spirit has never drawn them out. The spirit they hear is the spirit of the world. So I would ask you again...Jesus asked us not to be like what?

TC

Didn't Christ ask us not to be like this? When we are fasting, we are supposed to look good so that we are not "showing off" what we are going for Christ. There is nothing we can give back to our Lord by forsaking these worldly things. We should not go behind materialistic blessings. The only way we can glorify God is to thank Him from bottom of our heart that everything we have is from Him. Even the smallest of things we posses.
I don't look any different when I fast then I do when I don't fast- you cannot tell the difference- if anything I go out of my way to hide the fact. Fasting is between me and God( I don't want anyone else to even know when I am fasting) I am not really sure where you were going with that hope I answered you...

I think you forgot why I interjected in the first place...You guys are discussing the things pertaining to the flesh. I said think on spiritual things...Is not getting a tattoo an act of the flesh? Do you suppose the couple hundred dollars could be used better to glorify God rather than pleasing a fleshy desire?

TC

if you disprove of me teaching her about the family of God, and how He is love, and of what the Gospel is and how it is applied to .. then by all means take my spot and preach the Gospel to her, and we will see what happens .. Good Luck .. the only thing I didn't do was write a sinners prayer for her .. you have a lot of zeal, but technique matters .. and you are casting seeds on those who already are sowers of seeds ..

Speaking on Peter as the first pope, Matthew 16:18 is where this is instituted. When Christ called him 'Petros,' this word literally means "rock." The argument against this is that Christ followed it with "and on this PETRA, I will build my Church..." so people consider the word "Petros" as meaning pebble, but this isn't true. Aramaic was a gendered language, and 'Petra' is a feminine word. So when Christ called him "Petros," it was the same word, but in masculine form as Peter was, well, a man, not a woman.

here .. for you ..

no .. when I said "from Hebrew or Aramaic" I meant spoken it that not written it that .. sorry for the lack of clarification ..

I believe all 4 Gospels were penned in Greek originally .. nonetheless, we can discuss that later .. but Jesus didn't speak in Greek, so what is written, is not exactly what was said .. I share my work with you, and all ..

note: my translation of "stones" above, should be rock also, but a lesser rock (which Greek has no equivalent) .. so stone is an acceptable translation, but not accurate translation ..

HEBREW ..

Exd 17:6 - rock - tsuwr (a rock)
Num 20:8 - rock - cela` (rocks that hide)
Job 8:17 - rock - gal
msn_asl.gif

Jer 4:29 - rock - Keph (a rock fortress)

Job 8:17 - stone - 'eben (a stone)
1Ki 5:17 - stone - gaziyth (hewn stone)
Isa 28:16 - corner - pinnah (usage include corner stone)
Hebrew keph
Aramaic Ceph

Hebrew Kepha
Aramaic Cephas

Hebrew Kepha
noun with pronominal suffixes, which then stand in a genitive relation.
fem. a, et and it.

note: adding of the "a" as a suffix (fem) would denote less formative then Keph without the "a" (male)

Keph H3710
Outline of Biblical Usage
rock, hollow of a rock
=========
GREEK ..

Mat 7:24 - rock - petra (a rock)

Mar 15:46 - stone - lithos (a stone)
Jhn 2:6 - stone - lithinos (hewn stone)
Luk 20:17 - corner - gōnia (usage include corner stone)
petra
petros

"os" added as a suffix to a noun to form an adjective meaning "with something". kar (arm) karos (something with an arm)
"a" added as a suffix to a noun to form an adjective meaning "without something". kar (arm) kara (something without an arm)
thus when Jesus called/likened Simon Peter to a petros, it would be akin to the Hebrew keph or Aramaic Ceph (meanig the stronghold of rock) .. and when Jesus called/likened the other Apostles to a petra, it would be akin to the Hebrew Kepha or Aramaic Cephas (less formative thus fem genative)

Last edited:
I am going to simply say this...to Polly. Much of the conversation that has taken place in your thread was not directed towards you , nor was in helpful in answering your question about piercings. For that, I will be the first to apologize. I am sorry.

Having said that..Are you asking the question as a person who is seeking Christ or just wanting to know what Christians believe?

Has anyone actually told you what the gospel of your salvation is or have the just tried to give you a few scriptures to teach you about Christianity?

Sincerely,
TC

Hebrew keph or Aramaic Ceph ..
a rare word found only in Jeremiah 4:29 and Job 30:6, where it has the sense of mountain crags or rocky terrain.

Jer 4:29 At the sound of the horseman and bowman every city flees; They go into the thickets and climb among the rocks H3710; Every city is forsaken, And no man dwells in them.

Job 30:6 So that they dwell in dreadful valleys, In holes of the earth and of the rocks. H3710

Keph H3710
Outline of Biblical Usage
rock, hollow of a rock

hence the English word castle "keep" is derived from the Hebrew Keph .. the fortified place ..

and the Hebrew Kepha (fem) or less formable place in comparison to a Keph (male)
or the Aramaic Cephas (fem) or less formable place in comparison to a Ceph (male)

thus Kepha or Cephas is used BECAUSE Simon Peter was not THE MAIN Keph or Ceph .. that is God/Jesus ..

Last edited:
thus when Jesus called/likened Simon Peter to a petros, it would be akin to the Hebrew keph or Aramaic Ceph (meanig the stronghold of rock) .. and when Jesus called/likened the other Apostles to a petra, it would be akin to the Hebrew Kepha or Aramaic Cephas (less formative thus fem genative)

most people miss that .. Jesus called Simon Peter petros, and refered to the other 11 apostles as petra ..

yes they are allowed but they dont potray the image of christianity in a respectable way. besides God did say to women and im sure its applicable to men too, we should not make ourselves beautiful 1 timothy 2:9. 1 peter 3:3 but it doesnt stop you being a christian. its about what messege you want to give others and how you are inside rather than how you look outside

Christ did indeed form the Catholic Church, and its doctrine comes from the Word of God. Peter was appointed His vicar as expressed in the scriptures.

Christ is NOT divided. If you are addressing the other misconceptions of silly myths about the Spanish Inquisition and the Crusades (one being a political address in Spain, not a forced and violent means of conversion, and the Crusades being a response to attacks, not aggression on the innocent). But even if I were to grant you that many Catholics have been far from Christian, this doesn't mean the Church is now flawed, it means those individuals are. The laity and the clergy can be flawed, but the magisterium of the Catholic Church, the entity itself, is not.

With all due respect, if you are going to criticize the Catholic Church, that is fine, but recognize what it is and what it is not.

Silly? check out this video.........80 popes, 605 yrs of torture:
http://www.youtube.com/truthislight888

While it's true that our bodies are temples of the Lord, tattoos and piercings (generally speaking of course) don't seem to be strictly within that framework. For instance, a tattoo (or even a collection of tattoos) isn't equal to mutilation, but mutilation itself disrespects the notion that the body is a temple.

When the concept of our bodies being treated respectfully as temples is addressed, it is more in regards to sin of the flesh; promiscuity, gluttony, suicide, drug abuse or excess drinking, etc.

In fact, gluttony seems to almost be a forgotten sin of today. It can be such a hidden line as food is necessary and enjoying food isn't wrong, but the excess of it becomes iffy.

By no means do I mean disrespect in saying this, but while I suspect you are sincere about the body being treated with dignity as it is an instrument of God, you also seem annoyed with 90s teenage fashion...which is OK if you are, but that's more of a matter of taste rather than a subject of divine law.

The Bible says that we are NOT our own, but that we have been purchased with a price....the precious blood of Christ.
If something doesn't belong to you- what right would you have writting graffiti all over it or poking holes in it ?

The Bible says that we are NOT our own, but that we have been purchased with a price....the precious blood of Christ.
If something doesn't belong to you- what right would you have writting graffiti all over it or poking holes in it ?

I think that's a valid reason as to why one would have issue with tattooing.

Back