Any here have a favorite systematic theology have used?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure that you are correct and as I said, I have no intention of debating. All I am saying is that when anyone takes the time to put his thoughts and idea to paper, what follows is very important to that person.

That being said, anything that comes from a person who has accepted the "Preterist" position of Bible understanding has to be taken with a huge grain of salt.

For anyone who has never considered the Preterist teaching, the Preterist doctrine is heresy personified, because it removes our faith, and overthrows the beliefs of many. The first Apostles condemned this teaching, a teaching that men have chosen to go to Hell over. Men who have decided that the hope of Christianity is not their hope, but their hope is only in this life.

Just be careful is all that I am saying and do what the Bible says to do and that is to rest the spirits!
I think that Dr Sproul moved from A Nil to a partial preterist position, as still held to a future second coming!

I am sure that you are correct and as I said, I have no intention of debating. All I am saying is that when anyone takes the time to put his thoughts and idea to paper, what follows is very important to that person.

That being said, anything that comes from a person who has accepted the "Preterist" position of Bible understanding has to be taken with a huge grain of salt.

For anyone who has never considered the Preterist teaching, the Preterist doctrine is heresy personified, because it removes our faith, and overthrows the beliefs of many. The first Apostles condemned this teaching, a teaching that men have chosen to go to Hell over. Men who have decided that the hope of Christianity is not their hope, but their hope is only in this life.

Just be careful is all that I am saying and do what the Bible says to do and that is to rest the spirits!
In the short, two paragraphs describing Preterisn, Sproul wrote:

"Full preterism is regarded as heretical, as it denies the essential truth of Scripture: the return of the King."

In the short, two paragraphs describing Preterisn, Sproul wrote:

"Full preterism is regarded as heretical, as it denies the essential truth of Scripture: the return of the King."

He is completely correct! However, the timing of the Return of the King is the problem my brother.

R. C. Sproul (RCS) describes four different theological systems that deal with prophetic Scripture (eschatology = doctrine of “last things”) (pp. 193 - 202). He himself takes the second view – that is, he is a postmillennialist.

As such, In Christian end-times theology ( eschatology ), postmillennialism, is an interpretation of chapter 20 of the Book of Revelation which sees Christ 's second coming as occurring after (Latin post-) the " Millennium ".

This doctrine is being presented in new clothes. Although it appears under many different names — Restoration, Reconstruction, New Wave, Latter Rain, and Manifest Sons of God — the two most frequently used titles are Kingdom Now Theology and Dominion Theology. ALL of these fall under the umbrella of ....
"Replacement Theology" which totally unbiblical, hence my reason to point out Mr. Sproul's position.

So...
It is my general approach to study that I look at contrasting views.

My problem here is that I have a difficult time choosing among the available sources.

While I expect that any given author will have a point of view that will be reflected in his works, I would rather have something that will present the issues in a straight-forward way with due respect for other approaches.

I would expect that he takes a stand where appropriate, but should not be so much enamored with his point that he is inordinately derisive of others.

I have been 'window shopping' ??computer shopping?? in this regard for a few weeks.

Any suggestions?

He is completely correct! However, the timing of the Return of the King is the problem my brother.

R. C. Sproul (RCS) describes four different theological systems that deal with prophetic Scripture (eschatology = doctrine of “last things”) (pp. 193 - 202). He himself takes the second view – that is, he is a postmillennialist.

As such, In Christian end-times theology ( eschatology ), postmillennialism, is an interpretation of chapter 20 of the Book of Revelation which sees Christ 's second coming as occurring after (Latin post-) the " Millennium ".

This doctrine is being presented in new clothes. Although it appears under many different names — Restoration, Reconstruction, New Wave, Latter Rain, and Manifest Sons of God — the two most frequently used titles are Kingdom Now Theology and Dominion Theology. ALL of these fall under the umbrella of ....
"Replacement Theology" which totally unbiblical, hence my reason to point out Mr. Sproul's position.
All of that would be under heretical word of faith teaching! That holds to the church becoming like in Acts again, full signs and wonders, and taking dominion over Erath!

So...
It is my general approach to study that I look at contrasting views.

My problem here is that I have a difficult time choosing among the available sources.

While I expect that any given author will have a point of view that will be reflected in his works, I would rather have something that will present the issues in a straight-forward way with due respect for other approaches.

I would expect that he takes a stand where appropriate, but should not be so much enamored with his point that he is inordinately derisive of others.

I have been 'window shopping' ??computer shopping?? in this regard for a few weeks.

Any suggestions?

That is why he was a partial preterist!

Hello YeshuaFan;

I have also studied preterism but have never heard of anyone who is a partial preterist. Is this a person who holds on to views of eschatological prophecies and the judgment coming of Christ?

To me, I don't understand. It's like saying someone who is a partial Christian.

Please define for me? Thank you, my brother.

Hello YeshuaFan;

I have also studied preterism but have never heard of anyone who is a partial preterist. Is this a person who holds on to views of eschatological prophecies and the judgment coming of Christ?

Full blown version states that second coming and all prophecy was fulfilled at AD 70 , when Rome crushed israel, while partial sees still a future second coming!

Hi Lanolin;

The different ologies definitely help expand our learning and teaching the Bible, but the Bible is also a system of it's own that tells a single, unified and cohesive story or stories centered around God, "continuously on one page," is a good way of looking at it.

750 pages? I have a Bible translation, The Polyglot Bible that has 188 pages because the fonts are so tiny.
Well if it was a scroll it would be several yards long.
It was the clever Romans who invented books with pages apparently.

All of that would be under heretical word of faith teaching! That holds to the church becoming like in Acts again, full signs and wonders, and taking dominion over Erath!

Absolutly correct !!!! The Preterist theology has its roots in "Replacement Theology" which is promoted and propagated by the Pentecostal Charismatic religion of the Name it and Claim element!

Hello YeshuaFan;

Bob.....basically, "Full Preterism" is simply the view that ALL eschatological events necessary to secure complete redemption for all believers, past, present, and future have been fulfilled in 70 AD.

Partial preterists are genuine Christian post-millennialists and amillennialists who agree that full preterism is not viable. However, they still believe that all the prophecies in Matthew 24:1-34, Mark 13:1-30, Luke 21:17-32 and some of the prophecies in Revelation were fulfilled by 70 A.D., Amazingly, they also believe Jesus returned in 70 A.D.! R.C. Sproul and Kenneth L. Gentry Jr. teach this.

IT could also be called "Cafeteria Theology". Pick and choose what you like and reject the rest!

In not accepting futurist interpretations of these verses, yet holding to the truthfulness of scripture, partial preterists have to believe all these things were fulfilled in "this generation", that is approximately forty years from the time they were spoken. Supporting their view is that Roman armies came starting in 67 A.D., and Jerusalem was destroyed in 70 A.D. Telling believers to leave the well-fortified city of Jerusalem and flee to the mountains when they saw armies approaching turned out to be life-saving advice.

Ramifications of Partial Preterism

Book of Revelation had to be written before 70 A.D. according to R.C. Sproul. Otherwise both partial and full preterism fall. There is no point in prophesying events that occurred in the past.

The Great Tribulation is already over. Christians should not be concerned about this past event in Israel and the Roman Empire.

There is no millennium on earth. Many preterists are post and a-millenialists, but all post and a-millenialists are not necessarily preterists. Amillennialism means that the millennium is going on now in heaven, the serpent is bound and cast into the bottomless pit (Revelation 20:2-4) and we can rejoice that the nations are not being deceived anymore until the serpent is released. An alternate preterist view is that the millennium started after 70 A.D. and is on earth now.

There is at most a small gap, less than a generation, between the 69th and 70th week of Dan 9:24-27.

Metaphors include clouds for historical divine judgments on nations. "All the nations of the earth" means "all the nations of the land [of Israel]" On Luke 21:25-28 preterists use "massive doses of symbolic interpretation" according to Thomas Ice (p.97).

The sun and heavenly bodies being darkened did not physically occur. This is just a metaphor for great and catastrophic events that would occur.

All the tribes/people all saw the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory (Matthew 24:30b; Mark 13:26). Christ returned to or near the earth in 70 A.D. to use the Roman armies to execute judgment on Jerusalem. Christ's return was invisible, yet all the peoples saw Him. Honestly, I am not too clear on how this works for them though.
Source : Why Partial Preterism is Incorrect (biblequery.org)

Now I personally in no what whatsoever what to be considered in the same class of educated professors such as RC Sproul.....but IMHO, the Preterist theology whether FULL or PARTIAL is one of the goofiest teachings I have ever come across.

Absolutly correct !!!! The Preterist theology has its roots in "Replacement Theology" which is promoted and propagated by the Pentecostal Charismatic religion of the Name it and Claim element!
Think read where "Bishop" Paulk of Kingdom Now fame stated that PostMils had the right theology, just lacked "Holy Ghost" power to usher in the Kingdom!

Bob.....basically, "Full Preterism" is simply the view that ALL eschatological events necessary to secure complete redemption for all believers, past, present, and future have been fulfilled in 70 AD.

Partial preterists are genuine Christian post-millennialists and amillennialists who agree that full preterism is not viable. However, they still believe that all the prophecies in Matthew 24:1-34, Mark 13:1-30, Luke 21:17-32 and some of the prophecies in Revelation were fulfilled by 70 A.D., Amazingly, they also believe Jesus returned in 70 A.D.! R.C. Sproul and Kenneth L. Gentry Jr. teach this.

IT could also be called "Cafeteria Theology". Pick and choose what you like and reject the rest!

In not accepting futurist interpretations of these verses, yet holding to the truthfulness of scripture, partial preterists have to believe all these things were fulfilled in "this generation", that is approximately forty years from the time they were spoken. Supporting their view is that Roman armies came starting in 67 A.D., and Jerusalem was destroyed in 70 A.D. Telling believers to leave the well-fortified city of Jerusalem and flee to the mountains when they saw armies approaching turned out to be life-saving advice.

Ramifications of Partial Preterism

Book of Revelation had to be written before 70 A.D. according to R.C. Sproul. Otherwise both partial and full preterism fall. There is no point in prophesying events that occurred in the past.

The Great Tribulation is already over. Christians should not be concerned about this past event in Israel and the Roman Empire.

There is no millennium on earth. Many preterists are post and a-millenialists, but all post and a-millenialists are not necessarily preterists. Amillennialism means that the millennium is going on now in heaven, the serpent is bound and cast into the bottomless pit (Revelation 20:2-4) and we can rejoice that the nations are not being deceived anymore until the serpent is released. An alternate preterist view is that the millennium started after 70 A.D. and is on earth now.

There is at most a small gap, less than a generation, between the 69th and 70th week of Dan 9:24-27.

Metaphors include clouds for historical divine judgments on nations. "All the nations of the earth" means "all the nations of the land [of Israel]" On Luke 21:25-28 preterists use "massive doses of symbolic interpretation" according to Thomas Ice (p.97).

The sun and heavenly bodies being darkened did not physically occur. This is just a metaphor for great and catastrophic events that would occur.

All the tribes/people all saw the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory (Matthew 24:30b; Mark 13:26). Christ returned to or near the earth in 70 A.D. to use the Roman armies to execute judgment on Jerusalem. Christ's return was invisible, yet all the peoples saw Him. Honestly, I am not too clear on how this works for them though.
Source : Why Partial Preterism is Incorrect (biblequery.org)

Now I personally in no what whatsoever what to be considered in the same class of educated professors such as RC Sproul.....but IMHO, the Preterist theology whether FULL or PARTIAL is one of the goofiest teachings I have ever come across.
How can there be the Kingdom in full here without the King being present?

Now what is difference between a partial preterist and an A Mil view?

If I understand your question correctly, the difference between the pre- and post-millenialists has to do with their
view of where the thousand-year reign of Christ fits into the last days scenario.

So where then, does a partial preterist?

This is a person who sees the majority, and possibly even the great majority of the apocalyptic visions in the book of Revelation as being a representation of events which happened in heaven and which happened to the church during the lifetime of the apostle John or in the succeeding generations when the church suffered persecutions under Rome. What makes a person a partial preterist is that they believe that at least some of the vision concerns future events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back