Any here have a favorite systematic theology have used?

Status
Not open for further replies.
and benefited from?
Theology (the study of God) can be a slippery slope. I avoid books and ideologies separate from the Word and organized topical assessments of the doctrines of God because of the fallacies which may arise in the reception of what is being said. One person, or even an institution, may establish in their own minds that a certain thought is being conveyed and that resolution should be maintained, even militantly, to subvert any wrong think; very dangerous. I do not intend to diminish the importance of systematic theology but only caution on the "results" found by some of its famed authors.

and benefited from?

My focus was from "Bibliology Proper." That being the start, then all the others will fall into place pretty quickly.

There are all kinds of "Ologies" and different disciplines have different approaches but ALL of them begin and end with the "Bible">

Bibliology is the study of the Bible.
Christology is the study of God the Son, the Lord Jesus Christ.
Pneumatology is the study of God the Holy Spirit.
Soteriology is the study of salvation.
Ecclesiology is the study of the church.
Eschatology is the study of the end times.
Angelology is the study of angels.
Christian Demonology is the study of demons from a Christian perspective.
Christian Anthropology is the study of humanity.
Hamartiology is the study of sin.

Systematic theology is an important tool in helping us to understand and teach the Bible in an organized manner. With out it we open the door to our own thoughts and that is a prescription for disaster.

Last edited:
Everyone's a Theologian
An Introduction to Systematic Theology

By R.C. Sproul

A good overview and resource for most Christians. Clergy will need more depth, but most committed lay believers will be blessed if they put in effort.

Everyone's a Theologian

By R.C. Sproul

A good overview and resource for most Christians. Clergy will need more depth, but most committed lay believers will be blessed if they put in effort.

I remember seeing a copy of this at my local public library.

cp

Is that a really big page, or really fine print, or that not much is _known_ ?
Well there's the LILY doctrine.
Basically it's stands for 'Lord I Love You'
It's only four points, one less than the TULIP one.

We had a statement of faith and a catechism, but only cos someone else pointed out we needed one.

Well, we just use the Bible and there's about 750 pages, but, I suppose you could just put everything we know about it "on the one page."

Hi Lanolin;

The different ologies definitely help expand our learning and teaching the Bible, but the Bible is also a system of it's own that tells a single, unified and cohesive story or stories centered around God, "continuously on one page," is a good way of looking at it.

750 pages? I have a Bible translation, The Polyglot Bible that has 188 pages because the fonts are so tiny.

Everyone's a Theologian

By R.C. Sproul

Just so that we are all on the same page, and I do not say this to be argumentative, only to be factual.

When you read material produced by R.C. Sproul, you will come to realize that he is a promoter of the "Preterist" method of understanding the Bible.

He claims that the rapture of the Church is modeled after the return of the Roman soldiers to Rome in triumph after a military campaign.

R.C. Sproul publicly endorsed Hugh Ross's book, Creation and Time, which is a polemic for progressive creationism/theistic evolution, and thereby, is a denial of orthodox Christianity's literal/factual/historical interpretation of the first eleven chapters of the Book of Genesis. This NavPress published book also openly attacks the creation movement and the major people involved (2/26/96, Christian News).
Source: R. C. Sproul-- Heretic and Blasphemer (blessedquietness.com)

In a 3/88 Eternity editorial, Sproul promoted a raunchy movie staring Barbara Streisand--the movie included cursing, prostitution, incest, and a glib justification for abortion. Sproul bemoans the fact that most Christians won't see the film simply "because there is a growing taboo in the evangelical world against watching movies." Raunchiness is not new for Sproul. In his Johnny Come Novel, many of its pages were "blue with blasphemy" uttered by its principal characters, and he used "unnecessary and offensive explicitness" in relating an illicit event.
Source: (7/24/87, Sword of the Lord).

Just so that we are all on the same page, and I do not say this to be argumentative, only to be factual.

When you read material produced by R.C. Sproul, you will come to realize that he is a promoter of the "Preterist" method of understanding the Bible.

He claims that the rapture of the Church is modeled after the return of the Roman soldiers to Rome in triumph after a military campaign.

R.C. Sproul publicly endorsed Hugh Ross's book, Creation and Time, which is a polemic for progressive creationism/theistic evolution, and thereby, is a denial of orthodox Christianity's literal/factual/historical interpretation of the first eleven chapters of the Book of Genesis. This NavPress published book also openly attacks the creation movement and the major people involved (2/26/96, Christian News).
Source: R. C. Sproul-- Heretic and Blasphemer (blessedquietness.com)

In a 3/88 Eternity editorial, Sproul promoted a raunchy movie staring Barbara Streisand--the movie included cursing, prostitution, incest, and a glib justification for abortion. Sproul bemoans the fact that most Christians won't see the film simply "because there is a growing taboo in the evangelical world against watching movies." Raunchiness is not new for Sproul. In his Johnny Come Novel, many of its pages were "blue with blasphemy" uttered by its principal characters, and he used "unnecessary and offensive explicitness" in relating an illicit event.
Source: (7/24/87, Sword of the Lord).
I would feel better if one was to read say Calvin Institutes, or Berkhof, or a Boice!

Everyone's a Theologian

By R.C. Sproul

Berkhof would be better to read, except for his take on Infant baptist!

I appreciate the views of Major and YeshuaFan (and all my brothers & sisters here).

One should not take any of man`s works as definitive. And I find several of Sproule's points a little or more curious.

And as I said, it is only an overview. But I found it approachable and there are several places where he takes pains to be respectful of differing views while pointing up underlying agreements.

I appreciate the views of Major and YeshuaFan (and all my brothers & sisters here).

One should not take any of man`s works as definitive. And I find several of Sproule's points a little or more curious.

And as I said, it is only an overview. But I found it approachable and there are several places where he takes pains to be respectful of differing views while pointing up underlying agreements.

I am sure that you are correct and as I said, I have no intention of debating. All I am saying is that when anyone takes the time to put his thoughts and idea to paper, what follows is very important to that person.

That being said, anything that comes from a person who has accepted the "Preterist" position of Bible understanding has to be taken with a huge grain of salt.

For anyone who has never considered the Preterist teaching, the Preterist doctrine is heresy personified, because it removes our faith, and overthrows the beliefs of many. The first Apostles condemned this teaching, a teaching that men have chosen to go to Hell over. Men who have decided that the hope of Christianity is not their hope, but their hope is only in this life.

Just be careful is all that I am saying and do what the Bible says to do and that is to rest the spirits!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back