Any here have a favorite systematic theology have used?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I understand your question correctly, the difference between the pre- and post-millenialists has to do with their
view of where the thousand-year reign of Christ fits into the last days scenario.

So where then, does a partial preterist?

This is a person who sees the majority, and possibly even the great majority of the apocalyptic visions in the book of Revelation as being a representation of events which happened in heaven and which happened to the church during the lifetime of the apostle John or in the succeeding generations when the church suffered persecutions under Rome. What makes a person a partial preterist is that they believe that at least some of the vision concerns future events.
For me, hard to see either A Mil or Post Mil, as A Mil have to spiritualize pretty much all OT prophets view of the Messianic Age, and Post Mil has the church itself doing what the Lord jesus would be doing?

For me, hard to see either A Mil or Post Mil, as A Mil have to spiritualize pretty much all OT prophets view of the Messianic Age, and Post Mil has the church itself doing what the Lord jesus would be doing?

Agreed!

For me...the only position that makes Biblical sense is the Rapture, Pre-Millennial one. It is the only teaching from the Bible that allow ALL the prophetic pieces to fit together without any "spiritual manipulations"!

Agreed!

For me...the only position that makes Biblical sense is the Rapture, Pre-Millennial one. It is the only teaching from the Bible that allow ALL the prophetic pieces to fit together without any "spiritual manipulations"!
I see the Rapture as actually being the second coming, but main thing is premil!

So...
It is my general approach to study that I look at contrasting views.

My problem here is that I have a difficult time choosing among the available sources.

While I expect that any given author will have a point of view that will be reflected in his works, I would rather have something that will present the issues in a straight-forward way with due respect for other approaches.

I would expect that he takes a stand where appropriate, but should not be so much enamored with his point that he is inordinately derisive of others.

I have been 'window shopping' ??computer shopping?? in this regard for a few weeks.

Any suggestions?
I would suggest we look to the author and the finisher (Christ) of it "as" it is written . In the introduction to the book Revelation which is filled with parables as signified prophecy he introduces the kind of hermeneutics called “signified”

.So then it would seem not only inspired prophecy but the spiritual understanding called the hidden manna. {Rev 2:17) Manna literally meaning as a query "What is it?????" or from the food of ones will who is it from Jesus always di the will of His father as our example to walk or understand after

If it is not God giving us His understanding of faith then what is it? “as it is written”. It made the devil flee after the third time. It as it is written must be His Spirit working in our new spirit to both reveal His will and empower us to do the good purpose of his good pleasure .Yoked with him makes our burden lighter and gives us a living hope of a new incorruptible body as the bride of Christ the church

Revelation 1 King James Version (KJV)1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:

The same kind of signified language used as a parable up until the time of reformation. restoring the government of God after all things written in the law and the prophets, restoring government of peace to the time of Judges. The end of kings in Israel the abomination of desolation.

Hebrews 8:9-10 The Holy Ghost this signifying, that the way into the holiest of all was not yet made manifest, while as the first tabernacle was yet standing: Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience; Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation.

The parable below is filled with the signified understanding. The word thousand years is one the metaphors in the parable
below.

Revelation 20:1-5 King James Version (KJV) And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand. And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years, And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season. And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection. Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years. And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison,

Thousand years is used to represent a unknown or concealed a metaphor it began at the time reformation when Jesus said it is finished, a time of great tribulation for those who had not the born again Spirit of Christ and Joy to the born again believers from any nation. men and woman spoken of by Joel

The outward Jews that were trusting in the flesh of genealogy came to a end when the Son of man was born ., the spiritual seed Christ in us now going out to all the nations of the world the literal thousand is going on over two thousand literal years .He will come like a thief in the night on the last day under the Sun.

Thousand years is a concealed time period or unknown . The word thousand represents a unknown throughout the Bible. We walk by faith the golden measure and not by the measure of corrupted mankind, (a thousand years is a thousand years no vision from God.,

The unseen eternal understanding giving us ears to hear and believe what the Spirt says to the churches nations or called denominations . Not after what the eyes desire or flesh requires. . . . . the temporal dying.

Full blown version states that second coming and all prophecy was fulfilled at AD 70 , when Rome crushed israel, while partial sees still a future second coming!

Bob.....basically, "Full Preterism" is simply the view that ALL eschatological events necessary to secure complete redemption for all believers, past, present, and future have been fulfilled in 70 AD.

Partial preterists are genuine Christian post-millennialists and amillennialists who agree that full preterism is not viable. However, they still believe that all the prophecies in Matthew 24:1-34, Mark 13:1-30, Luke 21:17-32 and some of the prophecies in Revelation were fulfilled by 70 A.D., Amazingly, they also believe Jesus returned in 70 A.D.! R.C. Sproul and Kenneth L. Gentry Jr. teach this.

IT could also be called "Cafeteria Theology". Pick and choose what you like and reject the rest!

In not accepting futurist interpretations of these verses, yet holding to the truthfulness of scripture, partial preterists have to believe all these things were fulfilled in "this generation", that is approximately forty years from the time they were spoken. Supporting their view is that Roman armies came starting in 67 A.D., and Jerusalem was destroyed in 70 A.D. Telling believers to leave the well-fortified city of Jerusalem and flee to the mountains when they saw armies approaching turned out to be life-saving advice.

Ramifications of Partial Preterism

Book of Revelation had to be written before 70 A.D. according to R.C. Sproul. Otherwise both partial and full preterism fall. There is no point in prophesying events that occurred in the past.

The Great Tribulation is already over. Christians should not be concerned about this past event in Israel and the Roman Empire.

There is no millennium on earth. Many preterists are post and a-millenialists, but all post and a-millenialists are not necessarily preterists. Amillennialism means that the millennium is going on now in heaven, the serpent is bound and cast into the bottomless pit (Revelation 20:2-4) and we can rejoice that the nations are not being deceived anymore until the serpent is released. An alternate preterist view is that the millennium started after 70 A.D. and is on earth now.

There is at most a small gap, less than a generation, between the 69th and 70th week of Dan 9:24-27.

Metaphors include clouds for historical divine judgments on nations. "All the nations of the earth" means "all the nations of the land [of Israel]" On Luke 21:25-28 preterists use "massive doses of symbolic interpretation" according to Thomas Ice (p.97).

The sun and heavenly bodies being darkened did not physically occur. This is just a metaphor for great and catastrophic events that would occur.

All the tribes/people all saw the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory (Matthew 24:30b; Mark 13:26). Christ returned to or near the earth in 70 A.D. to use the Roman armies to execute judgment on Jerusalem. Christ's return was invisible, yet all the peoples saw Him. Honestly, I am not too clear on how this works for them though.
Source : Why Partial Preterism is Incorrect (biblequery.org)

Now I personally in no what whatsoever what to be considered in the same class of educated professors such as RC Sproul.....but IMHO, the Preterist theology whether FULL or PARTIAL is one of the goofiest teachings I have ever come across.

Hello YeshuaFan and Major;

After reading both of your last posts, this is an area that I would like to refresh in my personal study.

God bless you both and thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back