Allegorizing the Scriptures

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 Peter 3:16 As also in all [his] epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as [they do] also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

First, please note that he said that those who twist the scriptures do so to their own destruction. When one writes about false teachers, false doctrine, and actually name the false teachers of doctrine, the ignorant and unstable become upset with it. They fire angry emails and comments, asking what any of us have done lately for the Lord. They charge one with failing to pray for these misguided souls. They claim the false teachers are just making a temporary mistake and all will come out right in the end if we but have patience and love. They don't like us giving the wayward soul rug burn on their feet. Instead, we should just leave them to their delusions, and just pray for them. Discussion is argument, after all...

Not so. We should be concerned about those who twist scripture into tangled masses of unrecognizable heaps of text.

2 Peter 2:1-3 KJV] 1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. 2 And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of. 3 And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.

Forums are a great place where we can speak what we think is truth, and others may challenge our statements and usage of scripture, and open up avenues by which we can work collectively toward an understanding of the truth. When one enters into a teaching situation over others, and with error, far too many people don't take that seriously enough. John MacArthur once said, "It has been said that by distorting the scriptures, the false teachers were simultaneously securing their own destruction, (cf. 2:2, 3-12, 3:7; Jude 10, 13; Rev 22:18-19) as well as the spiritual demise of their followers. That’s why Peter warns his beloved readers beforehand, so that they might be on their guard against the error of such unprincipled men (Phil 3:2; 1 Tim 4:1-7, 6:20-21; 2 Tim 2:15-19; Titus 1:16, 3:10)."

Here is John MacArthur defining spiritualization/allegorization: "What do you mean spiritualize or allegorize? Well, you use Scripture like some kind of story and make it mean whatever you want."

Here is Matt Slick defining allegorization: "o allegorize means to use a symbol as representing a more complex idea."

MacArthur, again, "Third, don’t spiritualize the straightforward meaning of a Bible verse. The first sermon I ever preached was a horrible sermon. My text was “An angel of the Lord descended from heaven and came and rolled away the stone” (Matthew 28:2). My sermon was “Rolling Away Stones in Your Life.” I talked about the stone of doubt, the stone of fear, and the stone of anger. That is not what that verse is talking about; it’s talking about a real stone. I made it into a terrific allegory at the expense of its plain meaning. On another occasion I heard a sermon on “they cast four anchors…and wished for the day” (Acts 27:29 KJV); the anchor of hope, the anchor of faith, and so on. Those Acts 27 anchors were not anchors of anything but metal. … Don’t spiritualize the Bible; study it to gain the right meaning."

The Bible does have some allegories within it that can be explained as they are. There’s –

• Nathan’s parable of the rich man who killed a poor man’s beloved pet lamb, 2 Samuel 12:1-4
  • Jesus’ parables have a wide range of degrees of allegorical symbols, many of them explained in the text just after the recording of the parable itself.
  • In Galatians 4:21-31 Paul uses the story of the children of Sarah (Isaac) and Hagar (Ishmael) and the images of Jerusalem above and Mount Sinai as a double allegory, which Paul then goes on to explicitly explain. “Now this may be interpreted allegorically: these women are two covenants…(v. 24)
No need to make up our own symbols when the few times allegories are used in the Bible they are already explained for us. Nor does the presence of allegories in the Bible give us license to continue our own allegorizations. Scripture interprets scripture. That's been the historic stand of the most powerful ministries that ever existed.

I welcome your thoughts.

MM

The disciples asked why Christ spoke in parables to others (not the disciples of Christ)
Matt 13:10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables? (KJV)

Christ answered in Matt 13:11-17.

v 11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

v 13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

The parables were meant to confound God's teaching to those not yet led to Christ. Christ though made his words clear to his disciples who followed him.

v16 But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear.
Thankfully God opens our eyes and ears so that we can understand the few parables clearly.

I agree that most of the Bible is written literally. The Spirit in us leads us to understand these words, but God is not hiding his words from those that he has called out of the world.

We are also told
2 Pet 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. (KJV)

Yes, yes and yes, CP. Excellent. Thanks for sharing those verses and expansions. We could include many other verses and examples, but it remains that the Lord only leaves us in the dark on things that He has deemed that we have a need to know.

MM

The Problem with Spiritualizing

Without reading the Bible at face value first and foremost, teachers can teach anything. This wrong use of scripture has been described by many as spiritualizing the Bible.

Spiritualizing can be defined as detaching the Bible from its literal sense by:

• Denying what God meant to say in relation to what was actually recorded in scripture.
  • Changing the Bible into an allegory that addresses the current events, movements, politics, or ideas.
  • Removing the contextual limitations so that any passage in scripture can be used to help anyone in any way at any time.
  • Diminishing any sense of dogmatism. No one can fully understand God, and so no one can claim to know right or wrong, truth, or good and bad for everyone.
  • Making the Bible a mystical book interpreted by ones feelings and emotions. There is no absolute meaning.
Spiritualizing occurs when people fail to let God be true, and to see God is good, or rightly divide the scripture.

Without taking the Bible “at its word,” there is no fact of history. Spiritualization presents the Bible as fictional stories without any basis in true history or events.

Without God saying what he means to say, there is no reason to reconcile the doctrinal differences through right division.

Without real figures in a real context, good and bad exists only in the eye of the spiritualizing interpreter.

For those who might disagree, it would be interesting to understand why.

MM

Possible the letter is a follow up to these people: (The 2 Peter 3:16)

From the First Letter of 1 Peter:

1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ,

To God’s elect, exiles scattered throughout the provinces of Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia, 2 who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to be obedient to Jesus Christ and sprinkled with his blood:

Written in Peters first letter, to encourage them to stay in faith, of the Lords Day that was coming in their generation back then.

As you can see these people were God's elect, they were exiles scattered out through different provineces.

If people use scriptures from Matthew, Mark, Luke or John to justify any case of single lined scriptures:

All should be taken in to consideration - of who, what, when, where, how. Sometimes it was to crowds, sometimes it was a few people, the disciples

The disciples were only told to feed the sheep of Israel until Jesus Christ had died, that was his Misson. Jesus had claimed he has come for the Lost Sheep of Israel. Which he did desire to help the greeks to you can read about the greek woman with the demon possessed Daughter in the Gospel of Mark (which was a case of showing mercy unto her).​

Jesus told her woman I must feed the children (Children of Israel) and not the dogs. - which was really a profound offensive statement made by the Lord.

For me context is needed, not just whatever fits the cuff of just using scripture alone. (Do not believe in Sola Scriptura.)

A long time ago false teachers would come in and be with believers and they would not really believe on God or Jesus Christ - they would try to take people to come and sin with them so grace may abound - do not remember this group but they had a mindset of antinominism <- wish could remember the group name.

Is this mind set still here today of course it is but read Romans 6 Paul combats this thinking.

It explains we are not to continue in sin but to lay our old lifestyle down and instead Live with Love towards God.

Aside from this group there was Gnostic people who believed that Jesus Christ was really just a ghost and tricked everyone - and 1 john or writes about how to know the difference between the people because anyone who says Jesus Christ came in the flesh is of God - but if they are saying otherwise be mindful of what they are up to and be careful not to fall into a trap.​

Many letters are written to warn the people and to encourage them to not get bound up back again to having to do religious traditions and to keep their eyes and their minds focused on the Lord Jesus Christ,

because they were encouraged to stay in faith and wait for the Lords Coming.

Some people really miss out on what is being said sometimes, it is good to know what you are reading and what is going on and what is being said, and everything like this so just be informed, and as you read scripture remember the audience that is being written to, and what is possibly going on.

You can see when Paul writes to the Galatians if you pay attention.

Hope this helps anyone who is interested.

May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, Love of God, and the fellowship of the holy spirit be with you all and your families.

Thank you for the post MM.

Last edited:
Possible the letter is a follow up to these people: (The 2 Peter 3:16)

From the First Letter of 1 Peter:

1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ,

To God’s elect, exiles scattered throughout the provinces of Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia, 2 who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to be obedient to Jesus Christ and sprinkled with his blood:

Written in Peters first letter, to encourage them to stay in faith, of the Lords Day that was coming in their generation back then.

As you can see these people were God's elect, they were exiles scattered out through different provineces.

If people use scriptures from Matthew, Mark, Luke or John to justify any case of single lined scriptures:

All should be taken in to consideration - of who, what, when, where, how. Sometimes it was to crowds, sometimes it was a few people, the disciples

The disciples were only told to feed the sheep of Israel until Jesus Christ had died, that was his Misson. Jesus had claimed he has come for the Lost Sheep of Israel. Which he did desire to help the greeks to you can read about the greek woman with the demon possessed Daughter in the Gospel of Mark (which was a case of showing mercy unto her).​

Jesus told her woman I must feed the children (Children of Israel) and not the dogs. - which was really a profound offensive statement made by the Lord.

For me context is needed, not just whatever fits the cuff of just using scripture alone. (Do not believe in Sola Scriptura.)

A long time ago false teachers would come in and be with believers and they would not really believe on God or Jesus Christ - they would try to take people to come and sin with them so grace may abound - do not remember this group but they had a mindset of antinominism <- wish could remember the group name.

Is this mind set still here today of course it is but read Romans 6 Paul combats this thinking.

It explains we are not to continue in sin but to lay our old lifestyle down and instead Live with Love towards God.

Aside from this group there was Gnostic people who believed that Jesus Christ was really just a ghost and tricked everyone - and 1 john or writes about how to know the difference between the people because anyone who says Jesus Christ came in the flesh is of God - but if they are saying otherwise be mindful of what they are up to and be careful not to fall into a trap.​

Many letters are written to warn the people and to encourage them to not get bound up back again to having to do religious traditions and to keep their eyes and their minds focused on the Lord Jesus Christ,

because they were encouraged to stay in faith and wait for the Lords Coming.

Some people really miss out on what is being said sometimes, it is good to know what you are reading and what is going on and what is being said, and everything like this so just be informed, and as you read scripture remember the audience that is being written to, and what is possibly going on.

You can see when Paul writes to the Galatians if you pay attention.

Hope this helps anyone who is interested.

May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, Love of God, and the fellowship of the holy spirit be with you all and your families.

Thank you for the post MM.

MG, let's consider this from Paul:

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Now, are you prepared to assume that only those people back then needed doctrine? Where do you get your dotrine?

Are you prepared to assume that there is no need for reproof today? Who reproves you, assuming you're willing to accept reproof?

Are you prepared to assume that there is no need for correction today? Who corrects you, assuming you're willing to accept correction?

Are you prepared to assume that there is no need for instruction in righteousness today? Who can impute instruction in righteousness to you if you're not willing to accept scripture?

Do you not see the error of your position? Given that scripture has many, many timeless elements to it:

Matthew 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Matthew 24:35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
Mark 13:31 Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.
Luke 16:17 And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.
Luke 21:33 Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.

Do you get the picture? Do you not see how irrational it is to try and say that it's all been fulfilled, and is therefore not relevant to us today? Righteousness has not changed because the Lord has not changed. He was Holy then, and He is Holy now.

Malachi 3:6 For I [am] the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

Do you not see that the underlined portion of the statement above is a timeless, limitless, absolute statement made about the Lord, and by the Lord? The consequence of the Lord's changeless nature just happened to be, at the time of that writing, a direct effect upon the sons of Jacob. Do you understand the concept of timeless, non-constrained declarations that span all of time? Do you get that?

Please enlighten us as to your thoughts along these lines.

MM

2 Peter 3:16 As also in all [his] epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as [they do] also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

First, please note that he said that those who twist the scriptures do so to their own destruction. When one writes about false teachers, false doctrine, and actually name the false teachers of doctrine, the ignorant and unstable become upset with it. They fire angry emails and comments, asking what any of us have done lately for the Lord. They charge one with failing to pray for these misguided souls. They claim the false teachers are just making a temporary mistake and all will come out right in the end if we but have patience and love. They don't like us giving the wayward soul rug burn on their feet. Instead, we should just leave them to their delusions, and just pray for them. Discussion is argument, after all...

Not so. We should be concerned about those who twist scripture into tangled masses of unrecognizable heaps of text.

2 Peter 2:1-3 KJV] 1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. 2 And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of. 3 And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.

Forums are a great place where we can speak what we think is truth, and others may challenge our statements and usage of scripture, and open up avenues by which we can work collectively toward an understanding of the truth. When one enters into a teaching situation over others, and with error, far too many people don't take that seriously enough. John MacArthur once said, "It has been said that by distorting the scriptures, the false teachers were simultaneously securing their own destruction, (cf. 2:2, 3-12, 3:7; Jude 10, 13; Rev 22:18-19) as well as the spiritual demise of their followers. That’s why Peter warns his beloved readers beforehand, so that they might be on their guard against the error of such unprincipled men (Phil 3:2; 1 Tim 4:1-7, 6:20-21; 2 Tim 2:15-19; Titus 1:16, 3:10)."

Here is John MacArthur defining spiritualization/allegorization: "What do you mean spiritualize or allegorize? Well, you use Scripture like some kind of story and make it mean whatever you want."

Here is Matt Slick defining allegorization: "o allegorize means to use a symbol as representing a more complex idea."

MacArthur, again, "Third, don’t spiritualize the straightforward meaning of a Bible verse. The first sermon I ever preached was a horrible sermon. My text was “An angel of the Lord descended from heaven and came and rolled away the stone” (Matthew 28:2). My sermon was “Rolling Away Stones in Your Life.” I talked about the stone of doubt, the stone of fear, and the stone of anger. That is not what that verse is talking about; it’s talking about a real stone. I made it into a terrific allegory at the expense of its plain meaning. On another occasion I heard a sermon on “they cast four anchors…and wished for the day” (Acts 27:29 KJV); the anchor of hope, the anchor of faith, and so on. Those Acts 27 anchors were not anchors of anything but metal. … Don’t spiritualize the Bible; study it to gain the right meaning."

The Bible does have some allegories within it that can be explained as they are. There’s –

• Nathan’s parable of the rich man who killed a poor man’s beloved pet lamb, 2 Samuel 12:1-4
  • Jesus’ parables have a wide range of degrees of allegorical symbols, many of them explained in the text just after the recording of the parable itself.
  • In Galatians 4:21-31 Paul uses the story of the children of Sarah (Isaac) and Hagar (Ishmael) and the images of Jerusalem above and Mount Sinai as a double allegory, which Paul then goes on to explicitly explain. “Now this may be interpreted allegorically: these women are two covenants…(v. 24)
No need to make up our own symbols when the few times allegories are used in the Bible they are already explained for us. Nor does the presence of allegories in the Bible give us license to continue our own allegorizations. Scripture interprets scripture. That's been the historic stand of the most powerful ministries that ever existed.

I welcome your thoughts.

MM
Interesting that the main reason some do indeed "spiritualize" prophecy is in order to make sure it fits into their theology, as their view makes the scriptures fit, but should have their theology fotr bible instead!

MM

Hello Musicmaster;

This is ongoing today and, alas, a part of our Spiritual battle. Allegorization should not to be taken with a lackadaisical attitude, but with utilization of the studied Bible as a tool. Discussion is not to have an end means of an argument but the goal of arriving in one accord of Scripture. I'm blessed that you mentioned Matt Slick and John MacArthur.

The false messengers? I personally regard them as an enemy and will pray for them. But I also acknowledge they know what they're doing, (or don't they) therefore they remain my enemy.

Oh, but we're supposed to love our enemies. Yes, but lets get past the fundamental teaching, get serious and put some meat on this. I've lived in the SF Bay Area for 33 years in 2021 with a population of 7 million, and it's gotten worse. These false messengers spit on God, therefore, I'm going to raise my battle against them.

But this does not dismiss the fact that I need to pray for myself. I need to distinguish my emotional disgust and focus on spiritual righteousness for Christ. Like I said, it's a battle.

Thank you, MM. I enjoyed reading your thread and the points you shared.

Your suppose to love your enemy yet ???

So strange people are.

It’s ashamed that we do not know the demonizational titles to see who is what for all here have different church backgrounds.

No one knows what anyone is, and it is concerning and becomes confusing in who you can trust here.

Why did this site use to be so popular yet now has slowed down so much since the new rules of what can and can’t be talked about got involved?

All that can be done is to praise and look to God, and hold on to the Lord Jesus Christ.

No judgement here, just a wonderance.

So strange people are.

It’s ashamed that we do not know the demonizational titles to see who is what for all here have different church backgrounds.

No one knows what anyone is, and it is concerning and becomes confusing in who you can trust here.

Why did this site use to be so popular yet now has slowed down so much since the new rules of what can and can’t be talked about got involved?

All that can be done is to praise and look to God, and hold on to the Lord Jesus Christ.

Yes, MatthewG;

Love our enemies.

So strange people are.

My denominational title is "Born Again Believer in The Lord Jesus Christ"!

MG, let's consider this from Paul:

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Now, are you prepared to assume that only those people back then needed doctrine? Where do you get your dotrine?

Are you prepared to assume that there is no need for reproof today? Who reproves you, assuming you're willing to accept reproof?

Are you prepared to assume that there is no need for correction today? Who corrects you, assuming you're willing to accept correction?

Are you prepared to assume that there is no need for instruction in righteousness today? Who can impute instruction in righteousness to you if you're not willing to accept scripture?

Do you not see the error of your position? Given that scripture has many, many timeless elements to it:

Matthew 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Matthew 24:35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
Mark 13:31 Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.
Luke 16:17 And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.
Luke 21:33 Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.

Do you get the picture? Do you not see how irrational it is to try and say that it's all been fulfilled, and is therefore not relevant to us today? Righteousness has not changed because the Lord has not changed. He was Holy then, and He is Holy now.

Malachi 3:6 For I [am] the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

Do you not see that the underlined portion of the statement above is a timeless, limitless, absolute statement made about the Lord, and by the Lord? The consequence of the Lord's changeless nature just happened to be, at the time of that writing, a direct effect upon the sons of Jacob. Do you understand the concept of timeless, non-constrained declarations that span all of time? Do you get that?

Please enlighten us as to your thoughts along these lines.

MM

Music Master.........."Spiritualization" is a tool of People who do not accept the Bible as the literal Word of God. You see, they spiritualize or us allagories to explain away the truth because when they do so, they can make the Bible say whatever they please, and in the process they get to play God.

I hate to say this, but my experience in the ministry has shown me that many, many professing Christians today are members of churches whose leaders use spiritualization to play fast and loose with the beginning and ending of the Bible.

I say that because we have seen those join our congregation then act "amazed" when they here LITERAL Bible teaching from the LITERAL Word of God.

Music Master.........."Spiritualization" is a tool of People who do not accept the Bible as the literal Word of God. You see, they spiritualize or us allagories to explain away the truth because when they do so, they can make the Bible say whatever they please, and in the process they get to play God.

I hate to say this, but my experience in the ministry has shown me that many, many professing Christians today are members of churches whose leaders use spiritualization to play fast and loose with the beginning and ending of the Bible.

I say that because we have seen those join our congregation then act "amazed" when they here LITERAL Bible teaching from the LITERAL Word of God.
especially happens in the Prophetic aspect of the scriptures, as amazing how Israel now always meant the Church!

Hello Musicmaster;

This is ongoing today and, alas, a part of our Spiritual battle. Allegorization should not to be taken with a lackadaisical attitude, but with utilization of the studied Bible as a tool. Discussion is not to have an end means of an argument but the goal of arriving in one accord of Scripture. I'm blessed that you mentioned Matt Slick and John MacArthur.

The false messengers? I personally regard them as an enemy and will pray for them. But I also acknowledge they know what they're doing, (or don't they) therefore they remain my enemy.

Oh, but we're supposed to love our enemies. Yes, but lets get past the fundamental teaching, get serious and put some meat on this. I've lived in the SF Bay Area for 33 years in 2021 with a population of 7 million, and it's gotten worse. These false messengers spit on God, therefore, I'm going to raise my battle against them.

But this does not dismiss the fact that I need to pray for myself. I need to distinguish my emotional disgust and focus on spiritual righteousness for Christ. Like I said, it's a battle.

Thank you, MM. I enjoyed reading your thread and the points you shared.

Bob, the years of instruction from the Lord has helped me to get past the youthful revulsion of evil around us. When surrounded by evil and wicked people, we are called to love in spite of their fallenness, I try to see them through the eyes of their Creator. It's always an exercise in sadness and compassion for them when I see them from His perspective. When Jesus looked over Jerusalem and wept, I experience something akin to what He felt, be it ever so slight by comparison due to my being a created and fallen, mortal human. His Spirit within us gives to us a measure of experience from His perspectives and feelings.

What I'm getting at with that is the depths of differences that rise up into how we respond to this evil generation. Rather than to lash out at them for their wickedness, I ask of them what they are thinking, and why. I like to listen to them and help them to see the error and baselessness of their beliefs. Most don't have a problem with the foundationless nature of their beliefs, some do. Those who are willing to then question their beliefs are those whom the Lord has done work in their lives to prepare them for hearing the Gospel. It is they whom I seek to share the gospel. The rest I simply walk away from rather than to stir them up into deeper level of anger and hatred.

MM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back