TULIP Perplexity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please keep this friendly and scripturally conceptual in nature rather than to argue against the opinions of others. If you disagree with another, then simply ask questions. If you still disagree, then simply share your thoughts in a non-combative manner. I'm bringing this up because I value what the Lord may have given to others on this troubling topic.

As some of you likely know, TULIP is the acronym for concepts held to by the hardline Calvinists, of which I was of the understanding is the side upon which John MacArthur and RC Sproul always taught from.

This morning, I ran across a short from MacArthur talking about how tragic the losses are of the cultists and atheists alike, and their being lost to Hell.

If my understanding is correct about those two men mentioned above, then that sermon makes no sense, and the reasons being that TULIP adherents:

1) Believe that God intentionally predetermines who goes to Heaven and who goes to Hell
2) They do not concern themselves about any other basis by which such a decision is made, and therefore have nothing at which to point for deeper understanding, other than #3
3) It's perfectly just for God to intentionally predetermine who goes to Hell because of His Sovereignty

I could list more, but will let this suffice.

Now, if all those people going to Hell is indeed a tragedy, then it that not an accusation against God Himself...if He is the One who predetermines for everyone as to who goes where, irrespective of personal choice? How can it be said that, given TULIP theology, His perfect justice is therefore tragic in light of all those people who are Hell-bound?

How is ANY decision the Lord makes a matter of tragedy, whether in the framework of TULIP or any other, given that He is perfectly just? If the Lord predetermines who goes to Hell irrespective of the choice the individual might have otherwise made, then, to my thinking, He would not have stated His desire that ALL men be saved. He would then have within Himself an internal contradiction, which I do not believe exists in His nature at all.

Some have then carried this further by claiming that freedom then forced God to have to wait on individuals to make up their minds at some point in their lives.

This creates for itself yet another dichotomy, and is therefore self-defeating. None of the adherents to TULIP theology has ever been able to answer one prime question in it all...how does the Lord giving to mankind the freedom to choose violate His Sovereignty? If the Lord chose to wait upon each individual, then what difference would that make to us? Who made mankind arbiters over what's right with God, and what is not, irrespective of His own Sovereign choice for our salvation.

Where it's true that we cannot save ourselves on the basis of any freedom for a decision, it it is still, and will always remain, only Christ Jesus who saves anyone. It's also true that nobody comes to Christ except that they are drawn by the Father. Again, the TULIP adherents have utterly failed to explain any decision mechanism for the Father's drawing of any man. Perhaps that criteria will remain a mystery throughout all eternity, but it seems reasonable that a man's recognition of his sinful condition, and therefore His need for what he desires, which is to be saved, and given that the Lord looks upon the heart, perhaps that's the mechanism in a very simplistic basis for explanation.

If the Gospel is powerful, then it has the ability to reach and strike the chord of resonance in all men, with most rejecting that resonance, and some responding to it.

Thoughts?

MM

From my understanding of TULIP, it stands or falls on Total Depravity.

I kind of think it was Calvin who took from Luther's playbook when Luther said...

"I believe that I cannot by my own reason or strength believe in Jesus Christ, my Lord, or come to Him; but the Holy Spirit has called me by the Gospel, enlightened me with His gifts, sanctified and kept me in the true faith. In the same way He calls, gathers, enlightens, and sanctifies the whole Christian church on earth, and keeps it with Jesus Christ in the one true faith."

...perhaps it's Luther who should be credited as the first 'Tuliper' as he neatly expresses the affects of one bounded by total depravity?

Hello Musicmaster, I'd like to comment on some of the above, but I'll wait to see if the mods choose to leave this thread open first (I see no sense in posting here if the thread is simply going to be closed down soon for violating the board rules).

CFS bans certain, particularly divisive topics (see below) to help eliminate a lot of the anything but Christlike behavior that most Christian forums face every day, so I believe that there is great wisdom in their choice to do so (especially for a Forum that bills itself as "Friendly Christian Forums" in its title ;)).

Topics that Can Not Be Discussed at CFS

(1) Once Saved, Always Saved (OSAS)
(2) Speaking in Tongues - (either Pentacostal, unknown, or foreign but known language)
(3) Homosexuality (This topic has ALWAYS degenerated into attacks on the sinner. It's OK to call homosexuality - the sin - an abomination, but NOT the sinner)
(4) Predestination, Calvinism, Arminianism or Preterism - (or any variations.)
(5) Soul Sleep - (any variant or any viewpoint.)
(6) Deviant behavior, including bestiality, animal sacrifice (except from a scriptural reference), human sacrifice, Voodoo, Witchcraft and variants or components of these. (If you have a question, PM the Mods before you post. Staff decisions will be final.)
(7) Anything dealing with transgender topics including psychology and surgery.
(8) Rapture in any form.

~Papa Smurf

edit: Whoops, no sooner had I posted this than I saw that crossnote is commenting, rather than closing this thread. So, does this mean that this thread will remain open for discussion and debate, or will you close it? Thanks :)

Last edited:
Hello Musicmaster, I'd like to comment on some of the above, but I'll wait to see if the mods choose to leave this thread open first (I see no sense in posting here if the thread is simply going to be closed down soon for violating the board rules).

CFS bans certain, particularly divisive topics (see below) to help eliminate a lot of the anything but Christlike behavior that most Christian forums face every day, so I believe that there is great wisdom in their choice to do so (especially for a Forum that bills itself as "Friendly Christian Forums" in its title ;)).

(2) Speaking in Tongues - (either Pentacostal, unknown, or foreign but known language)
(3) Homosexuality (This topic has ALWAYS degenerated into attacks on the sinner. It's OK to call homosexuality - the sin - an abomination, but NOT the sinner)
(6) Deviant behavior, including bestiality, animal sacrifice (except from a scriptural reference), human sacrifice, Voodoo, Witchcraft and variants or components of these. (If you have a question, PM the Mods before you post. Staff decisions will be final.)
(8) Rapture in any form.

~Papa Smurf

edit: Whoops, no sooner had I posted this than I saw that crossnote is commenting, rather than closing this thread. So, does this mean that this thread will remain open for discussion and debate, or will you close it? Thanks :)

I don't think Calvin is the origin of TULIP. Do you?

MM

(8) Rapture in any form.

~Papa Smurf

The thread is certainly counterproductive since, after four centuries, no one has successfully resolved the Calvin-Ariminius disparity.

I don't think Calvin is the origin of TULIP. Do you?

MM
I believe that the acrostic TULIP had its origins at The Synod of Dort (Calvin died more than 50 years earlier than that, if memory serves). Does TULIP rightly describe (or perhaps better summarize) a portion of Calvin's (and Luther's) Reformed soteriology? Yes, I think that it does.

Also, I believe that TULIP was created as a means of responding to the 5 (or was it 7?) points of the (Arminian) "Remonstrace" (again, if memory serves).

--Papa Smurf

The thread is certainly counterproductive since, after four centuries, no one has successfully resolved the Calvin-Ariminius disparity.

In a matter of speaking, yes. However, I was addressing the sermons from MacArthur, not so much the topic of Calvinism, nor extreme Calvinism. You're right. That will not be resolved in this timeline of existence.

MM

Hello BibleLover, this is one of the reasons that my denomination takes a neutral stance now on these two controversial, systematic theologies, leaving it to our individual churches, and further, each of our congregants, to believe as they feel led to (the principal reason being that both can be supported Biblically, which is, no doubt, why they remain controversial ;)).

They, the EFCA (Evangelical Free Church of America) made the change after I was already a member of the denomination, so I have experienced both sides (and I have to say that I simply LOVE the new policy, because in very short order all of the anger and hateful debate that I saw at times going on at my church over these two theologies was replaced by meaningful, productive, and loving discussions instead).

Interestingly, our pastorate and elder board are split 50/50 right now (between these two systematic theologies), and if there are discussions (concerning Calvinism/Arminianism), they are never heated I am happy to report :)

I believe the SBC has followed us in this, just FYI, and I hope that other churches choose to do so as well.

--Papa Smurf

(8) Rapture in any form.

~Papa Smurf

Papa many of those 8 topics have been breached on the site on numerous times. It’s simply up to the evaluation of the moderator or moderators from what I can see of what stays and what goes. Many of the topics banned are interconnected more so when it comes to salvation and the sovereignty God. As to MM’s comments about tulip being hardline Calvinism, . That be news to me I always thought it was standard Presbyterian theology.

For the moment, this thread may continue. However, do not dwell on ANY of the topics on the "Can not be discussed" topics list.

Thank you for your cooperation.

`

As to MM’s comments about tulip being hardline Calvinism, . That be news to me I always thought it was standard Presbyterian theology.
The Presbyterian Church follows the Reformed theology of John Calvin.

The Presbyterian Church follows the Reformed theology of John Calvin.

It used to follow. Many denominations have abandoned their Founder's creeds.

Getting this back on track:

As I had stated in the OP, I was perplexed at the thought that there is any "tragedy" attached to the loss of so many going into the fires of Hell.

It matters not at all to me where people in this forum stand on the TULIP dogma. We can all still get along and love the Lord together whether one supports or rejects TULIP.

My thoughts were about the seeming inconsistency in MacArthur's words. For the men I have heard teach that those who go to Hell were assigned to that place irrespective of any choice they might have made otherwise, how is that a tragedy? If God pre-ordains who will go to Heaven and who will go to Hell, how is it a tragedy for those who go to Hell?

This is not a discussion about the merits of TULIP, but rather what appears to be a contradiction in a statement made by a famous teacher who supports TULIP as it is classically defined.

MM

This would be a true statement in relation to this thread if that were the topic. My thrust is in relation to the analysis MacArthur made about those going to Hell, not the merits of TULIP itself.

MM

Please keep this friendly and scripturally conceptual in nature rather than to argue against the opinions of others. If you disagree with another, then simply ask questions. If you still disagree, then simply share your thoughts in a non-combative manner. I'm bringing this up because I value what the Lord may have given to others on this troubling topic.

As some of you likely know, TULIP is the acronym for concepts held to by the hardline Calvinists, of which I was of the understanding is the side upon which John MacArthur and RC Sproul always taught from.

This morning, I ran across a short from MacArthur talking about how tragic the losses are of the cultists and atheists alike, and their being lost to Hell.

If my understanding is correct about those two men mentioned above, then that sermon makes no sense, and the reasons being that TULIP adherents:

1) Believe that God intentionally predetermines who goes to Heaven and who goes to Hell
2) They do not concern themselves about any other basis by which such a decision is made, and therefore have nothing at which to point for deeper understanding, other than #3
3) It's perfectly just for God to intentionally predetermine who goes to Hell because of His Sovereignty

I could list more, but will let this suffice.

Now, if all those people going to Hell is indeed a tragedy, then it that not an accusation against God Himself...if He is the One who predetermines for everyone as to who goes where, irrespective of personal choice? How can it be said that, given TULIP theology, His perfect justice is therefore tragic in light of all those people who are Hell-bound?

How is ANY decision the Lord makes a matter of tragedy, whether in the framework of TULIP or any other, given that He is perfectly just? If the Lord predetermines who goes to Hell irrespective of the choice the individual might have otherwise made, then, to my thinking, He would not have stated His desire that ALL men be saved. He would then have within Himself an internal contradiction, which I do not believe exists in His nature at all.

Some have then carried this further by claiming that freedom then forced God to have to wait on individuals to make up their minds at some point in their lives.

This creates for itself yet another dichotomy, and is therefore self-defeating. None of the adherents to TULIP theology has ever been able to answer one prime question in it all...how does the Lord giving to mankind the freedom to choose violate His Sovereignty? If the Lord chose to wait upon each individual, then what difference would that make to us? Who made mankind arbiters over what's right with God, and what is not, irrespective of His own Sovereign choice for our salvation.

Where it's true that we cannot save ourselves on the basis of any freedom for a decision, it it is still, and will always remain, only Christ Jesus who saves anyone. It's also true that nobody comes to Christ except that they are drawn by the Father. Again, the TULIP adherents have utterly failed to explain any decision mechanism for the Father's drawing of any man. Perhaps that criteria will remain a mystery throughout all eternity, but it seems reasonable that a man's recognition of his sinful condition, and therefore His need for what he desires, which is to be saved, and given that the Lord looks upon the heart, perhaps that's the mechanism in a very simplistic basis for explanation.

If the Gospel is powerful, then it has the ability to reach and strike the chord of resonance in all men, with most rejecting that resonance, and some responding to it.

Thoughts?

MM
MM you write that this morning you came across a short by Mr MacArthur talking about how tragic the losses are of cultists and atheists alike, and their being lost in hell. You than conclude that this makes no sense because Mr MacArthur and Mr Sproul be Tulip adherents. Your conclusion if all these people going to hell is a Tragedy isn’t that a accusation against God himself. MM if what you say is true than your accusation would also have to be levelled at the God too. For the God does say exactly the same thing in Ezekiel 33:11 A7187996-4731-446E-8E72-B0AEED969E07.jpegMy thoughts on the predetermination of God and why the God chooses.some and passes over others are very deep ethical and moral questions that the church has tried to grasp as best they can from the word of God over the centuries. It not be merely only Calvinistic thought but also much of Christian thought that searches out scripture in I trying to understand the Divine choices, justice and mercy of God

Last edited:
MM you write that this morning you came across a short by Mr MacArthur talking about how tragic the losses are of cultists and atheists alike, and their being lost in hell. You than conclude that this makes no sense because Mr MacArthur and Mr Sproul be Tulip adherents. Your conclusion if all these people going to hell is a Tragedy isn’t that a accusation against God himself. MM if what you say is true than your accusation would also have to be levelled at the God too. For the God does say exactly the same thing in Ezekiel 33:11 View attachment 8842My thoughts on the predetermination of God and why the God chooses.some and passes over others are very deep ethical and moral questions that the church has tried to grasp as best they can from the word of God over the centuries. It not be merely only Calvinistic thought but also much of Christian thought that searches out scripture in I trying to understand the Divine choices, justice and mercy of God

Once again, it appears you have missed what I was saying.

Perhaps this will clarify it for you:

MacArthur stated that those going to Hell is a tragedy. My question was, in relation to his supportive stance on Tulip...how can it be tragic for anyone to end up in Hell if God is the One who allegedly decided they were created for that purpose? If their going to Hell was God's own design for them, then how is that a tragedy? That seems to imply that God creates that tragedy for some purpose. What could that be? How is populating Hell by design a tragedy if that is His predetermined plan?

Do you understand this better?

MM what am I misunderstanding. When you use Mr MacArthurs short as a example in saying that people going to hell is a tragedy some how upends their Tulip beliefs. Especially when God says exactly the same thing in Ezekiel 33 : 11 9BE6BE7B-3096-481B-99DF-01C22A0791FD.jpeg No all I now read is your added reasoning on what you wrote.

MM what am I misunderstanding. When you use Mr MacArthurs short as a example in saying that people going to hell is a tragedy some how upends their Tulip beliefs. Especially when God says exactly the same thing in Ezekiel 33 : 11 View attachment 8843 No all I now read is your added reasoning on what you wrote.

Ah. Ok. Perhaps I am now seeing what you are not understanding. Have you ever studied the TULIP dogmas? Perhaps then you will understand the dichotomy.

There are aspects of TULIP that I agree with, and others I do not, but that is not the topic here.

MM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back