Your Most Difficult Passage in the Bible?

crossnote

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Notice, I didn’t ask for your most ‘favorite’ passage but most difficult.
I’ll also ask you to answer this truthfully.
Mine is the letters to the 7 Churches in Revelation (chapters 2 & 3), I guess because I have a bit of difficulty lining it up with the rest of Scripture (I think) I’m familiar with.
No debate, just state your difficult passage.

Last edited:
Do you mean most difficult understand?

One that I have trouble with is:

Joshua 6:21: Then they utterly destroyed all in the city, both men and women, young and old, oxen, sheep, and asses, with the edge of the sword.

There other are similar OT passages such as Deuteronomy 20:16-17 and 1 Samuel 15:3.

I understand things were different back then and the people of God were carving out a place in the world, so this was perhaps not so unusual in the world of the OT.

Still, the God of the OT and the God of the NT are the same God. Today, this would be considered barbaric cruelty, the work of extremist madmen. So it is difficult for me.

Mine is the letters to the 7 Churches in Revelation (chapters 2 & 3), I guess because I have a bit of difficulty lining it up with the rest of Scripture (I think) I’m familiar with.
Mark 13:32 has always been problematic to me.

”But of that day or that hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.”

Since Jesus is the incarnate Word, how can there be things he does not know?

Consider John 3:35, .......
“the Father loves the Son, and has given all things into his hand,”

Do you mean most difficult understand?

One that I have trouble with is:

Joshua 6:21: Then they utterly destroyed all in the city, both men and women, young and old, oxen, sheep, and asses, with the edge of the sword.

There other are similar OT passages such as Deuteronomy 20:16-17 and 1 Samuel 15:3.

I understand things were different back then and the people of God were carving out a place in the world, so this was perhaps not so unusual in the world of the OT.
Still, the God of the OT and the God of the NT are the same God. Today, this would be considered barbaric cruelty, the work of extremist madmen. So it is difficult for me.
it is hard but as you said God was carving out the land he wanted it pure. do i fully understand this no..

Matthew 24:22 is kind of problematic for me. The number of days assigned to the Tribulation are clearly stated in both Daniel and Revelation. So, how can that number be reduced? In seminary, I once wrote a paper arguing that the NUMBER of days wasn't reduced but that the DURATION of a day was reduced to 16 hours based on Rev. 8:12. I know that would mean speeding up the earth's rotation by a third, which would increase the gravity and cause great tectonic upheaval, but that might be what brings about some of the torments of the Tribulation. In any case, this statement is quite puzzling to me.

Multiple scriptures showing God's seeming change in the response-
Genesis 6:7 And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

Luke 19:10 For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.”

1 Timothy 1:15 Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. 16 But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life.

It is a hard concept that so many pre-flood were not able to be saved or have a change of heart.

Hello crossnote;

One of my most difficult passages in the Bible is from Judges 19, The Levite and his concubine.

Judges 19:29-30, 29 When he entered his house he took a knife, laid hold of his concubine, and divided her into twelve pieces, limb by limb, and sent her throughout all the territory of Israel. 30 And so it was that all who saw it said, “No such deed has been done or seen from the day that the children of Israel came up from the land of Egypt until this day. Consider it, confer, and speak up!” - NKJV

I have always struggled with the message intended in Chapter 19. The Levite clearly didn't reveal this early in the chapter until later when he sent the 12 pieces to the other tribes regarding Benjamin and Gibeah. It builds up in chapter 20.

Hello crossnote;

One of my most difficult passages in the Bible is from Judges 19, The Levite and his concubine.

Judges 19:29-30, 29 When he entered his house he took a knife, laid hold of his concubine, and divided her into twelve pieces, limb by limb, and sent her throughout all the territory of Israel. 30 And so it was that all who saw it said, “No such deed has been done or seen from the day that the children of Israel came up from the land of Egypt until this day. Consider it, confer, and speak up!” - NKJV

I have always struggled with the message intended in Chapter 19. The Levite clearly didn't reveal this early in the chapter until later when he sent the 12 pieces to the other tribes regarding Benjamin and Gibeah. It builds up in chapter 20.
Context from this passage makes it clear she was dead by the time her master opened the door and found her on the threshold.

His reason was to show the depth of depravity of the area he lived in to the other 12 tribes hence 12 body parts.

Now..........consider what Hamas did 2 weeks ago to the Jews in Israel. Raping grandmothers, cutting off the head of babies!!!!

Back