You Can't Judge Me!

Matthew 7:1-6 (NASB) says:

“Do not judge, so that you will not be judged.
2 For in the way you judge, you will be judged;
and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.
3 Why do you look at the speck that is in your
brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?
4 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out
of your eye,’ and look, the log is in your own eye?
5 You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and
then
you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye
!
6 “Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls
before pigs, or they will trample them under their feet, and turn
and tear you to pieces.

Please read this Scripture anew and tell me what you think. Who is Jesus really talking to and about here?

then
!
and tear you to pieces.

Please read this Scripture anew and tell me what you think. Who is Jesus really talking to and about here?
Jesus was speaking to the crowd at the Sermon on the Mount which included Pharisees as well as his believing followers. The first 5 verses are addressed to the Pharisees present, and the 6th verse is directed towards his followers, that they should exercise discernment rather than self-righteous judgment.

then
!
and tear you to pieces.

The whole book of Matthew is Jesus speaking to the Jews.

Specifically in the Scriptures you quoted, He was talking to all of those who believed Him or wanted to believe him, his disciples who were in fact Jews.

"And seeing the multitudes (His disciples), he went up into a mountain: and when he was set, his disciples (The multitude) came unto him".

However, as is the case with ALL Scripture we are to glen from them as well so that we can be as God wants us to be.

So in verse 2:
If I judge someone to be bad because of xyz,
Then they will judge me bad of the same thing?

Like, so if I think your a thief you will eventually accuse me of stealing ?

sorry for being a pain I just wanted to clear this scripture up thanks.

Hello Via;

You ask a good question and am led to have someone else answer your question in Matthew 7:1-6.

But to share my personal note, God (He) is my judge and is judging me;

"If I judge you then (He) I'll be judged for judging you."

"If I judge a good thing about you, then (He) I'll be judged as a good thing for judging a good thing about you."

God bless you, sister, and your family.

Thank you, everyone. One thing I noticed about this was that as long as you are not a hypocrite (actor or pretender) then it appears you are exempt from the highlighted portion. Jesus confronted hypocrisy and the Pharisees tried to trap Him multiple times. We are equipped to judge (evaluate) a brother or sister (and vice-versa) as long as we are who we say we are, correct?

You hypocrite,
first take the log out of your own eye, and then
you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye!

I realize this will sound weird... it's late, so I can be odd for a sec.
I like to think of this as if it were an episode of the twilight zone or something... for example:
Let's say A person goes through life.. then dies.
When it's time for this person to be judged, he is horrified to discover the judge he is facing is actually himself! Literally! As in, let's say he was pretty stern, not very forgiving of others, self-serving, not compassionate, etc... So all of the things that he would hold against others... is what would condemn him. He would basically judge and condemn himself.
--- yes, I know that's not exactly a biblical view... but just something to think about. We should always show compassion, be forgiving, help when we can, and not hold any grudges-- in other words-- love one another.

----------------

One thing I noticed about this was that as long as you are not a hypocrite (actor or pretender) then it appears you are exempt from the highlighted portion.

I don't think anyone is "exempt"... Even if we do everything in our power to sincerely love God and each other, and try our very best... We should ALWAYS stop first, and really take a look at ourselves, pray, ask God to search our hearts... make certain our motivations are truly from a place of love, and only then say or do what we truly feel led to do, or not do. We are not perfect, and we all stumble. To ever think we do not, or will not, is a mistake, and leaves us open to attacks/traps..

I realize this will sound weird... it's late, so I can be odd for a sec.
I like to think of this as if it were an episode of the twilight zone or something... for example:
Let's say A person goes through life.. then dies.
When it's time for this person to be judged, he is horrified to discover the judge he is facing is actually himself! Literally! As in, let's say he was pretty stern, not very forgiving of others, self-serving, not compassionate, etc... So all of the things that he would hold against others... is what would condemn him. He would basically judge and condemn himself.
--- yes, I know that's not exactly a biblical view... but just something to think about. We should always show compassion, be forgiving, help when we can, and not hold any grudges-- in other words-- love one another.

----------------

I don't think anyone is "exempt"... Even if we do everything in our power to sincerely love God and each other, and try our very best... We should ALWAYS stop first, and really take a look at ourselves, pray, ask God to search our hearts... make certain our motivations are truly from a place of love, and only then say or do what we truly feel led to do, or not do. We are not perfect, and we all stumble. To ever think we do not, or will not, is a mistake, and leaves us open to attacks/traps..
I always love getting your feedback. Thank you.

then
!
and tear you to pieces.

NOT referring to inspecting fruit, nor to judge if doctrines are biblical or not!

So in verse 2:
If I judge someone to be bad because of xyz,
Then they will judge me bad of the same thing?

Like, so if I think your a thief you will eventually accuse me of stealing ?

sorry for being a pain I just wanted to clear this scripture up thanks.

Good point.

The bottom line truth is that we are to make righteous judgments!

In short, to "judge" is to separate, determine, or pronounce an opinion concerning right or wrong. Only God can accurately judge, for only He sees the heart
of all men.

Though we are not to judge others in the condemnatory sense explained above, we are called to be discerning. We have a responsibility to distinguish good from evil and light from darkness. We should first check our own motives and our hearts for any unrecognized 2x4's but we cannot merely say that we should not judge and therefore cannot call anything wrong.

I am not saying that we condemn any person person. Rather, we by "Observation" judge the actions of the person and, accordingly, how we should relate with that person. If we judge a person to be a false prophet, based on the objective criteria of God's Word, we should not listen to his teachings.

If we by "Observation" judge the actions of a fellow believer to be out of line with God's Word, we can gently correct him. If he refuses to change, and leave the sin we have "Observed", then we may need to stop relating with him as a fellow believer and relate with him instead as we would an unbeliever.

Good point.

In short, to "judge" is to separate, determine, or pronounce an opinion concerning right or wrong. Only God can accurately judge, for only He sees the heart
of all men.

Though we are not to judge others in the condemnatory sense explained above, we are called to be discerning. We have a responsibility to distinguish good from evil and light from darkness. We should first check our own motives and our hearts for any unrecognized 2x4's but we cannot merely say that we should not judge and therefore cannot call anything wrong.

I am not saying that we condemn any person person. Rather, we by "Observation" judge the actions of the person and, accordingly, how we should relate with that person. If we judge a person to be a false prophet, based on the objective criteria of God's Word, we should not listen to his teachings.

If we by "Observation" judge the actions of a fellow believer to be out of line with God's Word, we can gently correct him. If he refuses to change, and leave the sin we have "Observed", then we may need to stop relating with him as a fellow believer and relate with him instead as we would an unbeliever.
Excellent answer, as always. Thank you, Major.

I love that it says, "your brother's eye". Not some random stranger walking down the street, or the guy that cut you off, or the social media troll, your brother. That indicates, again, that spirituality in Christ is a relationship in its truest form. We are to be open and revealing to Him and to those we call brother and sister. The one who rejects wisdom is called...well, Solomon talks extensively about that.

I appreciate all of the good counsel here based on biblical principles.

Good point.

of all men.

Well I don’t know all the bible like most people here so I rely on correction.
But whilst in the subject...
How are we to relate to unbelievers?

None of us will ever come to know all of what can be found in God's word. God helps us to perceive his words and gives us understanding as we become ready. There is always something new to be found when we actively listen to what God is telling us.

As to unbelievers. God's word tells us to love our neighbors. Many unbelievers are kind and friendly. Over time though one finds that they have less in common with unbelievers. I've found in my own experience that there are certain topics that should be avoided.

Sometimes we will be mocked and ridiculed for our beliefs. So God tells us to suffer for righteousness sake.

cp

Colossians 4:5-6, Proper conduct towards unbelievers

“Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. 6Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone,”

Romans 12:14-21 ......
“Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep. 16 Be of the same mind toward one another. Do not set your mind on high things, but associate with the humble. Do not be wise in your own opinion. 17 Repay no one evil for evil. Have regard for good things in the sight of all men. 18 If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men. 19 Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. 20 Therefore “If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him a drink; for in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head.” 21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good".

None of us will ever come to know all of what can be found in God's word. God helps us to perceive his words and gives us understanding as we become ready. There is always something new to be found when we actively listen to what God is telling us.

As to unbelievers. God's word tells us to love our neighbors. Many unbelievers are kind and friendly. Over time though one finds that they have less in common with unbelievers. I've found in my own experience that there are certain topics that should be avoided.

Sometimes we will be mocked and ridiculed for our beliefs. So God tells us to suffer for righteousness sake.

cp

Agreed!

I have as one of my neighbors a devout Roman Catholic.
On my other side is a hard drinking, cigar smoking, cursing infidel!

I have witnessed the gospel to both men and they know where I stand and they know what they are and WHO they need. There is no reason for me to preach to them the gospel every time I see them and I do not do so.

They know their position in life and now it is up to God to draw them to Christ by what they see me do, say and act while around them.

When the gospel is given to the lost....IMO then the best path is to live a Christian life so that they can see a living testimony of what Christ does in the life of a believer.

Colossians 4:5-6, Proper conduct towards unbelievers

“Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. 6Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone,”

Romans 12:14-21 ......
“Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep. 16 Be of the same mind toward one another. Do not set your mind on high things, but associate with the humble. Do not be wise in your own opinion. 17 Repay no one evil for evil. Have regard for good things in the sight of all men. 18 If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men. 19 Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. 20 Therefore “If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him a drink; for in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head.” 21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good".
Thankyou Major.

Back