Would You Lie To Save A Innocent Life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jos 2:3 And the king of Jericho sent unto Rahab, saying, Bring forth the men that are come to thee, which are entered into thine house: for they be come to search out all the country.
4 And the woman took the two men, and hid them, and said thus, There came men unto me, but I wist not whence they were:

Yes Rahab lied! and she was justified in her actions before God!
I am not saying Rahab did not lie, she did, but it was not because of her lies God spared her and her family, it was because of her faith. If it was only based on her lies she would have perished with the rest of the city.

Taking the mark was already mentioned before I posted (I believe by King J) - I always read the entire thread before posting. Lying is a choice we make and to me it is serious and against scripture. Will God forgive me for it? I believe He already has. I can't think of a situation where I would lie if I didn't feel I had to. And I would try everything else I could think of to avoid it in a "good" cause. My experience so far is that lies are self serving and tend to lead to to worse places than the "temporary fix" it usually is.
Sure. Maybe lies that are spoken to get what you want. But lying to save another is not self-serving.

Of course we are to not lie if the circumstance allows it. But sometimes it does not.

Christ never lied to the Pharisees.
No but the Pharisee were blind to true righteousness because they thought they were "keeping the law" but they WAS NOT! They were living a lie, thinking they was keeping the true standards of God!

I am not saying Rahab did not lie, she did, but it was not because of her lies God spared her and her family, it was because of her faith. If it was only based on her lies she would have perished with the rest of the city.
She was justified..in that she was protecting the people of God!

We are not talking about lying! We are talking about lying to save someone!

Lie = sin
Lying to save a life = no sin John 15:13!

Taking anothers life = sin
Taking anothers life in self defence = no sin.

Being seen in a bar often = sin 1 Thess 5:22
Being seen in a bar occasionaly to reach unsaved = no sin

Entering a house and all alone with the opposite sex = sin
Entering a house and all alone with the opposite sex to save them from comitting suicide = no sin

Taking mark of beast = sin
Taking mark of beast if it gauranteed your wife and kids will live on and have opportunity to go to heaven = no sin John 15:13

Fornication = sin
Fornication if you are Adam and Eve / only two people on an island = no sin

Gluttony / over indulgence of food = sin
3 days gluttony after a 10 day fast = no sin

The list is endless!

Conclusion: Intention is everything. In the OT a panel of elders would judge all cases where the law was broken. It was not always black and white.

If I am hiding Jews in Nazi Germany and I lie and say no Jews here - they search anyway and all of us go o the concentration camp and die. So my lie is self serving and in a good cause. But Nazi Germany and apartheid all gone now... And unless you heard differently, no antichrist ruling yet. If some crazy person comes looking for somebody and I'm hiding them...well I would have already called the police by the time they banged on my door because chances are crazy person will shoot me first and then go looking for the person I am trying to protect. Lies aren't likely to do any good.
I agree with CC - lies are from the father of lies. Find a better way to protect both yourself and anybody else.

Who will dare to lay a charge against Rahab? Well you will not lay a charge against me either! If I need to lie to save an innocent person, then its not really a "lie" its love!

Ro 8:33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.
34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

There is nothing that blinds people like the hypocrisy of SELF-righteousness!

King J? There is no forgiveness for anyone who takes the mark of the beast, no matter what your reason. And you can't take the mark as a negotiation that your wife and kids won't have to take the mark.

I think the point Mitspa is trying to make is that lying in some cases may actually be loving. Just like how Jesus supposedly broke the sabbath to save a life, Rahab lied to keep people safe. It is not a sin to keep people safe, is it?

This was the same problem the pharisees had with Jesus. They didn't want to do anything on the sabbath so when those who needed help came to them they didn't want them to be healed, and that's why they were mad at Jesus. In the same we, we might be mad because someone lies to save another, but should we be?
You got it here Cosmo...your heart can look upon Christ and see that grace and truth came in His Love!

King J? There is no forgiveness for anyone who takes the mark of the beast, no matter what your reason. And you can't take the mark as a negotiation that your wife and kids won't have to take the mark.
If I gave you the options of 1. Take the mark or 2. Watch your kids tortured and raped. You would take 2?

If I am hiding Jews in Nazi Germany and I lie and say no Jews here - they search anyway and all of us go o the concentration camp and die. So my lie is self serving and in a good cause. But Nazi Germany and apartheid all gone now... And unless you heard differently, no antichrist ruling yet. If some crazy person comes looking for somebody and I'm hiding them...well I would have already called the police by the time they banged on my door because chances are crazy person will shoot me first and then go looking for the person I am trying to protect. Lies aren't likely to do any good.
I agree with CC - lies are from the father of lies. Find a better way to protect both yourself and anybody else.
You are not dealing with the title by saying this. The title is asking ''will you lie, if it meant a life would be saved' (as a result of the lie)?

Soldiers grow to trust people. A 'no' from them is = no search.

If I gave you the options of 1. Take the mark or 2. Watch your kids tortured and raped. You would take 2?

You think that will be an option? Your wife and children live and get the mark of the beast, anyways, and then lose eternal salvation (as do you). I'm female btw, but I would rather be raped, tortured and slain than give up my eternal soul and salvation with God.

I don't think we will be given that option. But that is not the point. We are trying to determine if God is pedantic and can't see the bigger picture / ie dumb judge.

You are not dealing with the title by saying this. The title is asking ''will you lie, if it meant a life would be saved'?

I would do all I could possibly do to save a life, innocent in my judgement or not, but I would find a way not to lie - I hope. When I have been faced with critical problems like you have stated, I found a way. But I admit, I had time to think it thru.

I'm going by scripture, KingJ, and I would not take the mark for any reason. I didn't say God wouldn't forgive me for lying, either. If I thought a lie would save a life and felt I had no other choice, I would probably try it as a last resort. In my experience, lies are traps and generally don't get you what you want, except sometimes when you are short on time. You are better off misdirecting, asking questions and staying silent.

I'm going by scripture, KingJ, and I would not take the mark for any reason. I didn't say God wouldn't forgive me for lying, either. If I thought a lie would save a life and felt I had no other choice, I would probably try it as a last resort. In my experience, lies are traps and generally don't get you what you want, except sometimes when you are short on time. You are better off misdirecting, asking questions and staying silent.
What is this but another sneaky way to lie?

If I thought a lie would save a life and felt I had no other choice, I would probably try it as a last resort.

Now the question is answered :). I agree with this. Though I know that in reality that 'last resort' comes very quickly when dealing with intimidating people.

Last edited:
I do agree with silk KingJ. We are to resist the mark at all costs. Even if that means we and our family has to die.

But I believe in pre-trib rapture, so it's not my concern.

What is this but another sneaky way to lie?

I have said from the beginning, that I agreed wih Glomung. Was Christ being sneaky by omitting info the Pharisees could twist? There is always a way to say truth - and being silent or misdirecting is not outright lying. Like Rahab did. Before she became a Jewess.
I always thought I was an honest person and so did everyone around me and yet I would call into work for a sick day when I wasn't. When I didn't want to go somewhere with someone I said I had other plans when I didn't. I don't do things like that any more. Stupid lies - little ones - white lies. And then the HS taught me better. Like Christ with the Pharisees, you can tell the truth and avoid their traps better without lies. Even little lies created ripples that go on forever and each one has a consequence. So if I was trying to save a life, I would do it without direct lies. Omitting and misdirecting and silence is not the same. But I would do that in a good cause. Otherwise I have no reason to.

I have said from the beginning, that I agreed wih Glomung. Was Christ being sneaky by omitting info the Pharisees could twist? There is always a way to say truth - and being silent or misdirecting is not outright lying. Like Rahab did. Before she became a Jewess.
I always thought I was an honest person and so did everyone around me and yet I would call into work for a sick day when I wasn't. When I didn't want to go somewhere with someone I said I had other plans when I didn't. I don't do things like that any more. Stupid lies - little ones - white lies. And then the HS taught me better. Like Christ with the Pharisees, you can tell the truth and avoid their traps better without lies. Even little lies created ripples that go on forever and each one has a consequence. So if I was trying to save a life, I would do it without direct lies. Omitting and misdirecting and silence is not the same. But I would do that in a good cause. Otherwise I have no reason to.
Look Silk..by the grace of God...I do not lie nor do I uphold lying...but I think an important truth can be seen in this thread about the difference between being under the law "letter" and being under the "law of Christ" love...and every point I have tried to make has been to show and prove the law of love as Gods true standard for believers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back