Women of the Bible

Eunice

Eunice was a woman of the Bible who was known for her faith. She was the mother of Timothy, and she taught him the scriptures from a young age.

2 Timothy 1:4-5.......
“As I remember your tears, I long to see you, that I may be filled with joy. I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you as well”.

Eunice was a highly popular name in the Greek world, and the root ("nike) of her name means "victory".

God aptly named her because she was able to overcome her fear of the Jewish leaders and Roman authorities to raise Timothy up in the faith; the very same faith that dwelt in his grandmother and mother. Timothy’s name, appropriately, means “in God’s honor.”

As a result, Timothy grew up to be a strong believer and student to Paul.

It appears then that Timothy’s mother and grandmother watered and Paul fertilized and God gave the increase of Timothy’s salvation. Paul may have also led Timothy’s mother and grandmother to saving faith because there are some hints in regard to this in Acts 14:6-7.

Even though Eunice knew the Scriptures and brought her child up in the way of God, she still had to make a decision for Jesus as the Christ and it seems that is what Paul did then making Timothy his spiritual child.

In addition to her faith, Eunice was also known for her kindness.

She was always willing to help others, and she was known for her gentle spirit.

While not much is known about her life, Eunice is an important figure in the Bible because she demonstrates the importance of passing on one’s faith to future generations.

Give your children some quiet time each day to learn about Christian virtues with this fruits of this spirit printable, so they can enjoy a more peaceful life!

Back