Why SOLA SCRIPTURA Is Important

This is why men like Martin Luther and John Calvin argued that Scripture alone (Sola Scriptura) should be the ultimate authority in all matters of faith and practice.

We know from Scripture in Romans 3:23 we know that humans are inherently flawed, sinful, selfish, and often unreliable.

Judges 21:25...........
"Without an infallible, trustworthy standard to turn to and rely on in matters of faith, we are left to our own ideas".

Unfortunately, as Solomon writes in Proverbs 14:12.......“There is a way which seems right to a person, but its end is the way of death”.

Human wisdom is temporary and always suspect and self serving as well as shaky. The Word of God, however, is not. This is what the Reformers argued.

Without proper guidance, MEN in leadership in any church faith can, will and have abused or misinterpreted Scripture to preserve their own power.
History has shown that MAN has developed his own ideas and inadvertently or even intentionally propagate lies and heresies creating at times religion and denominations that are heretical and in most case totally false.

They can also manipulate believers to follow their lead and not God’s. Worst of all, without Scripture as the highest, most reliable authority, traditions become absolute and bad ideas become harder to challenge.
Now.........Sola Scriptura does not mean that Christians can never read other books or even writings about the Bible, theology, or Christian living. Sola Scriptura does not mean we must turn to the Bible for everything.

Common sense says to us that if you wanted to become a doctor, you’d probably need to read a few medical textbooks.
If you wanted to learn how to cook a special meal you would read and consult a receipt book.
If you wanted to learn how to fix a computer, you may want to consult a book on computers.
If you wanted to learn how to fix your car, you will want to read a book on auto mechanics.

This is not the point of Sola Scriptura, nor does the Bible’s inability to speak to these topics take away from its inerrancy and purpose.

Sola Scriptura affirms that all of our ideas about God, faith, and Christian living should be derived from Scripture and based on the Word of God.
In these areas, it is sufficient and complete. Any doctrine, idea, or philosophy that contradicts Scripture should be rightly examined, challenged, and even discarded.

Hello Major, thank you for broaching this topic (which I believe that most find to be the most difficult among the five Reformational "Solas" to understand, properly define and explain).

I often use another Latin term when I am trying to help people understand what Sola Scriptura means, that the Bible is our "Regula Fidei" or "Rule of Faith" (IOW, that the Bible is what we turn to as our final authority to measure/judge matters concerning the faith, moral choices, truth, etc.).

Do you think this term is appropriate to use in this way (when looking for ways to explain Sola Scriptura), or am I missing something important about the doctrine of Sola Scriptura when I do so?

Thank you for your help! I am looking forward to further discussion about this topic (y)

God bless you!!

--Papa Smurf

Hello Major, thank you for broaching this topic (which I believe that most find to be the most difficult among the five Reformational "Solas" to understand, properly define and explain).

I often use another Latin term when I am trying to help people understand what Sola Scriptura means, that the Bible is our "Regula Fidei" or "Rule of Faith" (IOW, that the Bible is what we turn to as our final authority to measure/judge matters concerning the faith, moral choices, truth, etc.).

Do you think this term is appropriate to use in this way (when looking for ways to explain Sola Scriptura), or am I missing something important about the doctrine of Sola Scriptura when I do so?

Thank you for your help! I am looking forward to further discussion about this topic (y)

God bless you!!

--Papa Smurf

NO, I do not think you are missing anything but then I do not know everything!!!!

The entire idea of the Rule of Faith stems from this one verse:

Romans 12:6.......
"Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith; "

It is this last phrase "in accordance with your faith" that has lead people to understand that faith can be measured.

When I get to Romans 12 in the Bible study I am doing, I will expound on this at that time.

Back