When Were You Saved?

When were you saved?

• I am as yet unsaved

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I don't know the exact day or date.. I was 11 years old.. I did not know the significance of remembering the date or anything! I did not even talk with anyone on what I really did then.. Or what the Lord did to me, more appropriate way of saying..

I understand the importance of people saying why remembering the date is important.. Because it is our birth date! It does sound awkward to say that I don't know my birth date.. But at the same time, I also understand why some people don't give much importance.. Because, at the end of the day it does not make any difference!

I think some people think they have made a conscious decision to follow Jesus Christ and remember that date.. Then they might fall away and come to terms once again.. This might happen multiple times! They might feel like accepting Christ every time.. Might even get confused on which occasion they actually got saved.. The truth is, they might have been saved on some other time in their personal prayer and not necessarily those specific occasions.. That is why personally I am not bothered about remembering the date.. I can even say Lord saved me even before I was born :)

When Were You Saved?

Literally speaking, was it before beginning of time?

2 Timothy 1:9New International Version (NIV)
9 He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time,

Re-phrasing the question: When we first realized?

I was raised as Catholic:
Something tells me there is something why they call him "Jesus Christ the Redeemer"....
Although I have no idea then why the Christmas song says "God and sinners reconcile"....
And I remember in college I was debating with a friend: yeah, our sins is forgiven, are we not praying "forgive our sins as we forgive those who sins against us"....

And yet, I have not fully understand why they call Him "Jesus Christ the Redeemer"

It was a retired Baptist Pastor who asked me: do you believe what it (bible) says, I say yes, then believe....
October 2007

I'm just a little surprised that only people who identify themselves as "saved" have answered so far, as that is fairly uncommon where I live, as compared to those who see salvation as a lifelong pursuit.

I was saved before I was born, because it was predestined by God.

Yet, before the twins were born or had done anything good or bad—in order that God’s purpose in election might stand:not by works but by him who calls—she was told, “The older will serve the younger." Just as it is written: “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.”

Sanctification is lifelong, but salvation is in effect at the moment one's faith in Jesus Christ is birthed. We who are known by God as part of His family from before the foundation of the earth have not been literally saved until we actually make that conscious decision for Jesus Christ and repent for our sins, receiving His sacrificial death in place of our own punishment for sin.

In that regard, no one can say they have always been saved. We are born sinners.

Sanctification is lifelong, but salvation is in effect at the moment one's faith in Jesus Christ is birthed. We who are known by God as part of His family from before the foundation of the earth have not been literally saved until we actually make that conscious decision for Jesus Christ and repent for our sins, receiving His sacrificial death in place of our own punishment for sin.

In that regard, no one can say they have always been saved. We are born sinners.
The problem I have always had with this idea is that you could technically have an Adolf Hitler type person who kills millions of people accepting Christ on his deathbed and achieving salvation. It ignores all the terrible things he did and seems in fact to forgive him for them. That strikes me as cruel and nonsensical.

The problem I have always had with this idea is that you could technically have an Adolf Hitler type person who kills millions of people accepting Christ on his deathbed and achieving salvation. It ignores all the terrible things he did and seems in fact to forgive him for them. That strikes me as cruel and nonsensical.

Adolf Hitler is just as undeserving of heaven as anyone. But, should he have had a deathbed experience, who is anyone to say that God's mercy and grace cannot save such a man? Jesus' blood covers his sin as well. He was not the devil. He was a man who was indwelt by a masterful evil spirit. God doesn't ignore the evil things we do in the flesh. He forgives them and wipes them away, and forgets about them. He is not like man who remembers and casts the past up in people's faces.

It is Jesus who makes us worthy of all that He died for us to have.

Last edited:
Calvinism or Arminianism.

I see no reason to choose, one can choose both: "all are yours" as long as "For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ."

I noticed that Paul repeating a phrase, that emphasizes a point.

1 Corinthians 3 New King James Version (NKJV)
Sectarianism Is Carnal
3 And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual people but as to carnal, as to babes in Christ. 2 I fed you with milk and not with solid food; for until now you were not able to receive it, and even now you are still not able; 3 for you are still carnal. For where there are envy, strife, and divisions among you, are you not carnal and behaving like mere men? 4 For when one says, “I am of Paul,” and another, “I am of Apollos,” are you not carnal?
Watering, Working, Warning
5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers through whom you believed, as the Lord gave to each one? 6 I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the increase. 7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase. 8 Now he who plants and he who waters are one, and each one will receive his own reward according to his own labor.
9 For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, you are God’s building. 10 According to the grace of God which was given to me, as a wise master builder I have laid the foundation, and another builds on it. But let each one take heed how he builds on it. 11 For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, 13 each one’s work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one’s work, of what sort it is. 14 If anyone’s work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. 15 If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.
16 Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? 17 If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are.

Avoid Worldly Wisdom
18 Let no one deceive himself. If anyone among you seems to be wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise. 19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, “He catches the wise in their own craftiness”; [a] 20 and again, “The Lord knows the thoughts of the wise, that they are futile.”[b] 21 Therefore let no one boast in men. For all things are yours: 22 whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas, or the world or life or death, or things present or things to come—all are yours. 23 And you are Christ’s, and Christ is God’s.

Adolf Hitler is just as undeserving of heaven as anyone. But, should he have had a deathbed experience, who is anyone to say that God's mercy and grace cannot save such a man? Jesus' blood covers his sin as well. He was not the devil. He was a man who was indwelt by a masterful evil spirit. God doesn't ignore the evil things we do in the flesh. He forgives them and wipes them away, and forgets about them. He is not like man who remembers and casts the past up in people's faces.

It is Jesus who makes us worthy of all that He died for us to have.
This is why I feel that salvation is earned by a combination of works and faith. James 2:14 verse 17 tells us faith without works is dead. Ephesians 2:9 might state otherwise, but "works" are not always the kinds of things men should boast about, and Hitler is a perfect example. I do not believe a person can do completely unspeakable evil as Hitler did and can simply make it all right with a simple deathbed confession or recitation. Another issue I have with that is it is too easy - simply reciting a few words as people do with the Sinner's Prayer in and of itself means nothing. And to simply speak a few words one day and to point at that exact date as the date one was "saved" seems to me to be putting a lot of words in God's mouth.

This is why I feel that salvation is earned by a combination of works and faith. James 2:14 verse 17 tells us faith without works is dead. Ephesians 2:9 might state otherwise, but "works" are not always the kinds of things men should boast about, and Hitler is a perfect example. I do not believe a person can do completely unspeakable evil as Hitler did and can simply make it all right with a simple deathbed confession or recitation. Another issue I have with that is it is too easy - simply reciting a few words as people do with the Sinner's Prayer in and of itself means nothing. And to simply speak a few words one day and to point at that exact date as the date one was "saved" seems to me to be putting a lot of words in God's mouth.
Bible clearly states that salvation is from God.. It has nothing to do with us.. Salvation for someone like Mother Teresa or someone like Hitler is same in God's sight.. Because for man it is impossible, but with God everything is possible..

Ephesians 2:8-9
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Other point is, no one is saved by reciting a simple prayer.. I go agree pointing out a specific date does not mean that is when we exactly got saved.. God might have turned the person's heart earlier or he or she might be getting saved later.. It is like a normal birth.. We never know when we got conceived in womb right? No one knows that.. What we celebrate as birth day is the day we are out into the world.. Same way, it is very hard for a person to say this is the day and time Lord regenerated me exactly. But we celebrate the date we confessed outside with our mouth that Jesus is my savior as our born-again date..

Bible clearly states that salvation is from God.. It has nothing to do with us.. Salvation for someone like Mother Teresa or someone like Hitler is same in God's sight.. Because for man it is impossible, but with God everything is possible..

Ephesians 2:8-9
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Other point is, no one is saved by reciting a simple prayer.. I go agree pointing out a specific date does not mean that is when we exactly got saved.. God might have turned the person's heart earlier or he or she might be getting saved later.. It is like a normal birth.. We never know when we got conceived in womb right? No one knows that.. What we celebrate as birth day is the day we are out into the world.. Same way, it is very hard for a person to say this is the day and time Lord regenerated me exactly. But we celebrate the date we confessed outside with our mouth that Jesus is my savior as our born-again date..

Excellent point. 100% agree

Some people might have confessed Jesus as their Lord from the moment they were able to speak simply because they were in an environment that encouraged them to do so. Then maybe in their college days turned into the prodigal son and started backsliding, then questioning their faith. Then maybe later in their life confessed Christ as their savior again.

Would this mean they lost their salvation during their college days, but regained it once they confessed again? My belief is once saved always saved, because the Shepard's arm is never to short to save any sheep that He calls His. And the bible says, "Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."

Where do you get such a "feeling"?

What about what God Himself says concerning salvation?

John 3:16 (NLT)
For this is how God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.

Come now! Do you think that Jesus should have spurned the criminal hanging next to Him on the cross because it was too easy to repent at that time?

Making a judgment that it is too easy and adding your own ideas about why it should be hard is merely the flesh talking. I am grateful that God has made reconciliation with Him a simple thing. No one is exempt from His great grace and mercy if they turn their hearts toward Him!

If that's the case, why would God grant salvation to a person who caused the deaths of millions of people with a simple deathbed conversion? And if you're on the outside looking in (i.e. a non-Christian looking at Christian behaviour) would you not see this as a problematic thing?

If that's the case, why would God grant salvation to a person who caused the deaths of millions of people with a simple deathbed conversion? And if you're on the outside looking in (i.e. a non-Christian looking at Christian behaviour) would you not see this as a problematic thing?
Because one sin is the same as many: it's imperfection. Only sinners count the size of the sin to justify themselves.

What about what God Himself says concerning salvation?
What about six million innocent people murdered by a genocidal despot?
Come now! Do you think that Jesus should have spurned the criminal hanging next to Him on the cross because it was too easy to repent at that time?
I can't comment because I don't know the extent of that criminal's crimes. I am taking the logic you are using and extending it to a genocidal maniac and showing you that SOME people are going to have a problem with it. Now, I want to be really clear that I'm not questioning God, nor am I questioning His actions. What I'm questioning is your understanding of the Bible and suggesting that it might not possibly be as clear as you are saying it is.
Making a judgment that it is too easy and adding your own ideas about why it should be hard is merely the flesh talking.
What you have concerning God's word is an interpretation, whether you want to admit that or not. That's all I have, too. And when I question the way you follow it you should not interpret it as an attack but a suggestion to be open to the possibility that there's another way of looking at it.

First Love

1 John 4 New King James Version (NKJV)
4 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 By this you know the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God, 3 and every spirit that does not confess that[a] Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God. And this is the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world.
4 You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. 5 They are of the world. Therefore they speak as of the world, and the world hears them. 6 We are of God. He who knows God hears us; he who is not of God does not hear us. By this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error.

Knowing God Through Love
7 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. 8 He who does not love does not know God, for God is love. 9 In this the love of God was manifested toward us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him. 10 In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.
Seeing God Through Love
12 No one has seen God at any time. If we love one another, God abides in us, and His love has been perfected in us. 13 By this we know that we abide in Him, and He in us, because He has given us of His Spirit. 14 And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent the Son as Savior of the world. 15 Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God. 16 And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him.
The Consummation of Love
17 Love has been perfected among us in this: that we may have boldness in the day of judgment; because as He is, so are we in this world. 18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love. 19 We love Him[b] because He first loved us.
Obedience by Faith
20 If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can[c] he love God whom he has not seen? 21 And this commandment we have from Him: that he who loves God must love his brother also.

Let us not forget our First Love

Revelation 2 New King James Version (NKJV)
The Loveless Church
2 “To the angel of the church of Ephesus write,
‘These things says He who holds the seven stars in His right hand, who walks in the midst of the seven golden lampstands: 2 “I know your works, your labor, your patience, and that you cannot bear those who are evil. And you have tested those who say they are apostles and are not, and have found them liars; 3 and you have persevered and have patience, and have labored for My name’s sake and have not become weary. 4 Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love. 5 Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place—unless you repent. 6 But this you have, that you hate the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.

7 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give to eat from the tree of life, which is in the midst of the Paradise of God.”’

Why shouldn't He? Is there some other gospel for more vile sinners?

Back