What is Jesus' "rod of iron" to rule the nations with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw someone say here that Jesus ruling the nations with a rod of iron hasn't happened yet! Oh, it must be future! But not all will agree.

What was a rod of iron used for in those days? A rod of iron was a shepherd’s tool. Not a soldier’s. Not a generalissimo’s. Not an angry king who comes to slam the hammer down on all his disobedient children. A shepherd. A gentle, intentional, protective, caring, always-thinking-about-how-to-feed-and-water-his-sheep shepherd.

Is there any Scriptural support for this? Yes. And not an obscure passage either. It is one of the most famous, most often quoted passages in the Bible:

“The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.

He makes me lie down in green pastures,

he leads me beside quiet waters,

he refreshes my soul.

He guides me along the right paths

for his name’s sake.

Even though I walk

through the darkest valley,

I will fear no evil,

for you are with me;

your rod and your staff,

they comfort me.” (Psalm 23:1–4)

A shepherd’s staff was used to guide his sheep. His rod (of iron) was used to protect the sheep from wolves or other predators. Under the shepherd’s tender care and fierce protection, the sheep feel comfort and confidence. This is the metaphor. Jesus will rule the nations with a rod,…like a shepherd…

Feeding the nations.

Giving rest to the nations.

Guiding the nations.

Warding off wolves from the nations.

Loving the nations.

This is the gospel. This is the same good news that Paul preached. The nations are not the enemies of God. They are the beloved of God and are included in the provision of his Son’s sacrifice.

I saw someone say here that Jesus ruling the nations with a rod of iron hasn't happened yet! Oh, it must be future! But not all will agree.

What was a rod of iron used for in those days? A rod of iron was a shepherd’s tool. Not a soldier’s. Not a generalissimo’s. Not an angry king who comes to slam the hammer down on all his disobedient children. A shepherd. A gentle, intentional, protective, caring, always-thinking-about-how-to-feed-and-water-his-sheep shepherd.

Is there any Scriptural support for this? Yes. And not an obscure passage either. It is one of the most famous, most often quoted passages in the Bible:

“The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.

He makes me lie down in green pastures,

he leads me beside quiet waters,

he refreshes my soul.

He guides me along the right paths

for his name’s sake.

Even though I walk

through the darkest valley,

I will fear no evil,

for you are with me;

your rod and your staff,

they comfort me.” (Psalm 23:1–4)

A shepherd’s staff was used to guide his sheep. His rod (of iron) was used to protect the sheep from wolves or other predators. Under the shepherd’s tender care and fierce protection, the sheep feel comfort and confidence. This is the metaphor. Jesus will rule the nations with a rod,…like a shepherd…

Feeding the nations.

Giving rest to the nations.

Guiding the nations.

Warding off wolves from the nations.

Loving the nations.

This is the gospel. This is the same good news that Paul preached. The nations are not the enemies of God. They are the beloved of God and are included in the provision of his Son’s sacrifice.

Good post. I agree with all said except that.......
"I saw someone say here that Jesus ruling the nations with a rod of iron hasn't happened yet! Oh, it must be future! But not all will agree."

Since there is absolutely NO recorded historical facts, either Biblical or secular that tells us Jesus has already ruled the nations with a rod of iron....it has to be yet in the future.

Harriet is right on target to say that this is a misunderstood situation in that many think it means to be a leader with an iron fist or harsh ruler or even as a shepherd to rule his sheep with an iron rod.

The truth of the matter is that in our modern day and age, most of us are far from understanding the important purposes of rods and staffs that have been used by mankind for thousands of years. One purpose for rods was in measurement, but rods were used as symbols of authority as well as for correction and punishment. Scepters were considered “rods” in some measure sometimes, as well as the staffs of shepherds.

One of the most important things to do in the exegesis of Scriptures to realize a "word's intent" and especially when it is about the Lord. The fact of the matter is, that the rods are to be used to “destroy” what they strike, to break like smashing pottery. The Lord will strike the nations with the rod, in meting out the fierceness and wrath of God to those that have it coming.

The rod seen in most of these verses is a rod of iron, not just any rod of wood like most would have been. Jesus is not a harsh Lord. He is quick to hear, slow to anger and His mercies are forever. So it is important to realize that these verses were translated as “ruling even shepherding” with a rod of iron, but it is in the sense of ruler-ship that He uses the rod of punishment to destroy the wicked.

Sadly, some misunderstand these verses to mean that the Lord will be a harsh ruler during the Millennium. Nothing could be further from the truth. Our God is the same yesterday, today and forever. But the wicked of this earth will cause “the iron rod of punishment” to come down upon themselves by their own actions when the Lord comes back for the Battle of Armageddon and the Grapes of Wrath (Revelation 14:17-20).

The 1000 year-period, commonly called the Millennium will be like no other time on earth before. But the Lord will not have to be cruel or harsh. His laws will be the law and THERE WILL BE NO COURT OF APPEAL. Anyone breaking His peace will in no doubt pay a price for it but it is obvious that with the devil bound for this 1000 year-period, that sin will not be rampant and common as we know life in the world we live in now. The lion will lay down with the lamb as well as the wolf. It will be not be like anything we have ever known in the past.

Staying within CFS rule parameters.
Good reading here but let me add.
Christ is still on the mercy seat but there is coming a time where 'let him that is filthy be filthy still and he that is holy be holy still', at that time grace will no longer preside and the world will bear its consequences, 'the rod of iron'. IMO

Staying within CFS rule parameters.
Good reading here but let me add.
Christ is still on the mercy seat but there is coming a time where 'let him that is filthy be filthy still and he that is holy be holy still', at that time grace will no longer preside and the world will bear its consequences, 'the rod of iron'. IMO

I agree. Good addition!

I know that you will agree that we live now, and have been in the Church Age/Day of Grace for 2000 years. IMHO, our period of Grace is going to expire very soon, our time is running out and we can no longer take Grace for granted. We have to seek God now, abandon whatever takes us away from our Creator and turn to Him so he cleanses our hearts and minds with His Spirit through His Word.

God's Grace is seen all through history, however that same history tells us that there came a time when that Grace ended and Judgment fell.

In Noah's day, God showed his Grace for 120 years for people to repent their ways. After that Grace period ended, God visited his judgement upon the people of the earth through the flood during which everything perished except Noah and his family of eight persons. God’s grace had ended.

In Judah God sent Jeremiah to preach for about 30 years to the people of Israel to repent until the Babylonian captivity. They did not repent so when Nebuchadnezzar invaded Jerusalem in 598 B.C, hundreds of thousands of people of God’s chosen nation were destroyed and the rest not killed taken faraway into captivity in Babylon. God's Grace came to an end!

In A.D 70 almost 30yrs after the death, resurrection and ascension of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, the Jewish nation still refused to accept that Jesus was truly the Son of God after the preaching of His disciples. In A.D 70 Rome attacked Jerusalem and destroyed the City and Temple the second time and killed over 2 million of God’s chosen people and nation including mothers, fathers, children old men and women.
God's Grace came to and end!

If God did not spare His own people from His wrath due to their unbelief, unrepentant heart and turning back to Him, how much more us gentiles who have received the Grace of God past 2,000 years ?? What will happen to us when the Grace period expires? I cannot imagine the carnage, Jesus Christ himself declared, there is coming a time of trouble such as there has never been since there was a nation on earth according to Matthew 24. How scary does that sound??!

Is a rod of iron also like those iron bars you see round jails and as gates and fences to protect the inhabitants from predators (and child safety fences).

Though it has a dual role in keeping the sheep in (who may be prone to wander) and the wolves out. If it's a jail then its to keep the wolves in and the sheep living in freedom from the wolves.

Is a rod of iron also like those iron bars you see round jails and as gates and fences to protect the inhabitants from predators (and child safety fences).

Though it has a dual role in keeping the sheep in (who may be prone to wander) and the wolves out. If it's a jail then its to keep the wolves in and the sheep living in freedom from the wolves.

Read post #2.

Good post. I agree with all said except that.......
"I saw someone say here that Jesus ruling the nations with a rod of iron hasn't happened yet! Oh, it must be future! But not all will agree."

Since there is absolutely NO recorded historical facts, either Biblical or secular that tells us Jesus has already ruled the nations with a rod of iron....it has to be yet in the future.

Harriet is right on target to say that this is a misunderstood situation in that many think it means to be a leader with an iron fist or harsh ruler or even as a shepherd to rule his sheep with an iron rod.

The truth of the matter is that in our modern day and age, most of us are far from understanding the important purposes of rods and staffs that have been used by mankind for thousands of years. One purpose for rods was in measurement, but rods were used as symbols of authority as well as for correction and punishment. Scepters were considered “rods” in some measure sometimes, as well as the staffs of shepherds.

One of the most important things to do in the exegesis of Scriptures to realize a "word's intent" and especially when it is about the Lord. The fact of the matter is, that the rods are to be used to “destroy” what they strike, to break like smashing pottery. The Lord will strike the nations with the rod, in meting out the fierceness and wrath of God to those that have it coming.

The rod seen in most of these verses is a rod of iron, not just any rod of wood like most would have been. Jesus is not a harsh Lord. He is quick to hear, slow to anger and His mercies are forever. So it is important to realize that these verses were translated as “ruling even shepherding” with a rod of iron, but it is in the sense of ruler-ship that He uses the rod of punishment to destroy the wicked.

Sadly, some misunderstand these verses to mean that the Lord will be a harsh ruler during the Millennium. Nothing could be further from the truth. Our God is the same yesterday, today and forever. But the wicked of this earth will cause “the iron rod of punishment” to come down upon themselves by their own actions when the Lord comes back for the Battle of Armageddon and the Grapes of Wrath (Revelation 14:17-20).

The 1000 year-period, commonly called the Millennium will be like no other time on earth before. But the Lord will not have to be cruel or harsh. His laws will be the law and THERE WILL BE NO COURT OF APPEAL. Anyone breaking His peace will in no doubt pay a price for it but it is obvious that with the devil bound for this 1000 year-period, that sin will not be rampant and common as we know life in the world we live in now. The lion will lay down with the lamb as well as the wolf. It will be not be like anything we have ever known in the past.
True, there is wrath for those unbelievers, yet the judgment seen in the N.T. is the judgment of Israel.
Note Matthew 25 where Jesus speaks of the judgment of the nations. (Matt. 25: 31-46)
Two descriptions (comparing Scripture with Scripture)
Matt.16:27,28- For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father, with his angels, and then shall reward every man according to his works. Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste death till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

Now, compare Matt. 25:31-33- But when the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory; and before him shall be gathered all the nations, etc.. This warrants in regarding the coming of the Son of man in Matt.25 as identical with that referred to in Matt.16, which some of the disciples were to live to witness.

James S. Russell in the book The Parousia-
"There is great probability in the opinion that the phrase 'all the nations' is equivalent to 'all the tribes of the land.' (Matt.24:30).
There's no impropriety in designating the tribes as nations. The promise of God to Abraham was that he should be the father of many nations.(Gen.17:5; Rom. 4:17,18.)
In our Lord's time it was usual to speak of the inhabitants of Palestine as consisting of several nations. Josephus speaks of 'the nation of the Samaritans, the nation of the Bataneans', the nation of the Galileans. Judea was was a distinct nation, often with a king of its own; so also Samaria; and so with Idumea, Galilee, Peraea, Batanea,Abilene and others- all of which at different times had princes with the title of Ethnarch, a name which signifies the ruler of a nation."

When you comment on the thousand years in Revelation, it sounds like a cartoon to me. No offense.
It was evident that the millennium existed prior to the second coming, and not initiated by His Parousia. Satan was bound so the disciples could spread the gospel. Matt.18:18, 18 “Assuredly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. In Rev.20 :4, it's speaking about the lives of the saints upon the earth as indicated by the tense used in speaking of those who did not worship the beast, nor his image, neither received his mark upon his forehead. In the KJV, the verbs sat, was given, lived, reigned, are all one tense. The Greek has the same tense for all- the aorist. Since they are all in the same tense they must refer to the same time. That is, the time of not worshiping the beast, and not receiving this mark is the same time as that of sitting on thrones and living and reigning with Christ.

Enough for now. And a fun fact: "Babylon" in Revelation was Jerusalem!

True, there is wrath for those unbelievers, yet the judgment seen in the N.T. is the judgment of Israel.
Note Matthew 25 where Jesus speaks of the judgment of the nations. (Matt. 25: 31-46)
Two descriptions (comparing Scripture with Scripture)
Matt.16:27,28- For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father, with his angels, and then shall reward every man according to his works. Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste death till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

Now, compare Matt. 25:31-33- But when the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory; and before him shall be gathered all the nations, etc.. This warrants in regarding the coming of the Son of man in Matt.25 as identical with that referred to in Matt.16, which some of the disciples were to live to witness.

James S. Russell in the book The Parousia-
"There is great probability in the opinion that the phrase 'all the nations' is equivalent to 'all the tribes of the land.' (Matt.24:30).
There's no impropriety in designating the tribes as nations. The promise of God to Abraham was that he should be the father of many nations.(Gen.17:5; Rom. 4:17,18.)
In our Lord's time it was usual to speak of the inhabitants of Palestine as consisting of several nations. Josephus speaks of 'the nation of the Samaritans, the nation of the Bataneans', the nation of the Galileans. Judea was was a distinct nation, often with a king of its own; so also Samaria; and so with Idumea, Galilee, Peraea, Batanea,Abilene and others- all of which at different times had princes with the title of Ethnarch, a name which signifies the ruler of a nation."

When you comment on the thousand years in Revelation, it sounds like a cartoon to me. No offense.
It was evident that the millennium existed prior to the second coming, and not initiated by His Parousia. Satan was bound so the disciples could spread the gospel. Matt.18:18, 18 “Assuredly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. In Rev.20 :4, it's speaking about the lives of the saints upon the earth as indicated by the tense used in speaking of those who did not worship the beast, nor his image, neither received his mark upon his forehead. In the KJV, the verbs sat, was given, lived, reigned, are all one tense. The Greek has the same tense for all- the aorist. Since they are all in the same tense they must refer to the same time. That is, the time of not worshiping the beast, and not receiving this mark is the same time as that of sitting on thrones and living and reigning with Christ.

Enough for now. And a fun fact: "Babylon" in Revelation was Jerusalem!
You said..........
"True, there is wrath for those unbelievers, yet the judgment seen in the N.T. is the judgment of Israel."

I can in NO WAY agree with you. Is Gods wrath aimed at Israel to turn them to Himself......but I do not see any Scriptures which say that that wrath of God will NOT BE felt by all of the world.

Now then you used....Matt.16:27,28- to I think suggest that Jesus presence was His coming.

I apologize for the length of my post. I feel like I am teaching a Bible Study class all of a sudden which I love to do.

As you said and I agree...comparing Scripture to Scripture we can say that All this is true, but in the context of Matthew 16:28, Jesus is talking
about the kingdom of God in the sense he most commonly uses it in the gospels. One aspect of the kingdom of God is the church of Christ. The
church is the kingdom. In fact, Jesus had just finished making that point in Matthew 16:17-19 where Jesus clearly equates the church with the
Kingdom of Heaven. Jesus appears to use the phrase Kingdom of God and Kingdom of Heaven virtually interchangeable in the gospels.

So when was the prophecy fulfilled?

The answer is that the Kingdom of God and of the Son Jesus Christ came on the day of Pentecost, 50 days after
the resurrection of Jesus. This fulfillment is found in Acts chapter two.

Many prophecies, both in the Old Testament and the New Testament point to the coming of the Kingdom in a new and unique way on the Day of Pentecost. For example, one could look at Isaiah 2:2-4. Daniel 2:44,45, Matthew 3:2, Luke 24:45-47, Matthew 16:18-20 and Matt 16:28 all point to the events of the pouring out of the Spirit, the first public gospel sermon and the first conversions to Christ which all occurred on the Day of Pentecost, as recorded in Acts chapter two.

Jesus did not visibly, physically come back on the Day of Pentecost, but he God certainly did come in the person of the Holy Spirit on that day.
There are many passages which express the thought that Jesus comes to us when we receive the gift of the indwelling Holy Spirit. 1 Corinthians
15:24, John 14:15-21 and John 16:7-15 come to mind.

You see, when Rev. 6 unfolds the future beginning of these very disturbing events on earth as the beginning of the terrible seven year Tribulation be unfolding. We must remember that believers in this the Church Age will be in heaven with the Lord and be spared from this judgment that God is about to pour out on earth.(1 Thess. 5, Rev. 3:15. The ones left on the earth will be the unbelieving LOST and the religious of the whole earth.

You said..........
"When you comment on the thousand years in Revelation, it sounds like a cartoon to me. No offense."

NO offence taken my dear. You only said what I already knew. That is the result of the PRETERIST position of the Scriptures.

And I hope you will not take offence either, but if the 1000 year rule of Christ has already taken place, and it is already over two thousand years after the death and resurrection of Jesus, has his thousand-year reign already ended? But how could it have ended since believers are supposed to reign with him? Are we already reigning or are we yet to reign?

The purpose of the 1,000-year reign is to fulfill various promises God made to the world. Some of these promises, called covenants, were given specifically to Israel. Others were given to Jesus, the nations of the world, and creation. Jesus’ 1,000-year reign will be a time of promises kept.

The problem with your thesis is that some of those covenants have not been fullfilled!
The purpose of the 1,000-year reign is to fulfill various promises God made to the world. Some of these promises, called covenants, were given specifically to Israel. Others were given to Jesus, the nations of the world, and creation. Jesus’ 1,000-year reign will be a time of promises kept.

Abrahamic Covenan
t = Abraham did go to the Promised Land, he did have many descendants, and he is the forefather of many nations. Several hundred years after Abraham, Joshua led the Israelites to claim ownership of the Promised Land. But Israel has never possessed the specific boundaries that God promised.

How do you as a PRETERIST answer the historical facts that Not even Solomon ruled over this particular area (1 Kings 4:21–24). Although he did reign from the River of Egypt to the Euphrates, he did not hold the area from Mount Hor to Hazarenan (Numbers 34:7–9)—into present-day Lebanon and Syria. In addition, the covenant God made with Abraham was that he and his descendants would have the land forever (Genesis 13:15; 17:8; Ezekiel 16:60). The current Israeli state may be a step in this direction, but they still do not possess the boundaries God laid out.

For your thesis to be true......those Covenants MUST HAVE TAKEN PLACE!

Then there is the The Davidic Covenant = It says that God’s covenant with David was that his line would never die out and that David’s heir would sit on the throne of Israel forever (2 Samuel 7:16). Biblical scholars agree that Jesus is the fulfillment of this covenant—one of the reasons His genealogy is given for both His adoptive father (Matthew 1:1–17) and His mother (Luke 3:23–38). The Jews understood this when they laid down palm branches and their cloaks as Jesus rode into Jerusalem (Matthew 21:1–17). They expected Him to be a military/political leader that would liberate them from the Romans and make Israel a great nation again. However THAT DID NOT HAPPEN!.
But they didn’t understand the nature of Jesus’ work at the time was for the New Covenant, not the Davidic Covenant.
The 1,000-year reign will be the beginning of Jesus’ reign over Israel and the earth with David as the vice-regent and thus fulfilling God's promis.

Then you stated that.......... "Babylon" in Revelation was Jerusalem!

If YOUR PRETERIST theory of Babylon = Jerusalem hypothesis is correct then Jerusalem will never be rebuilt again. Revelation Rev. 18:21-23+ describes the permanent destruction of Babylon. . . . according to the Babylon = Jerusalem view, Jerusalem was destroyed in A.D. 70 and will never be rebuilt again. Yet, how can this be a description of Jerusalem when scripture repeatedly speaks of its return to prominence during the millennial reign (Isa. Isa. 2:3; Zec. Zec. 14:16; Rev. Rev. 20:9+)? Scripture is quite plain that God still has a plan for ethnic Israel and yet the Jerusalem view seems to teach the opposite.5

Thus says the LORD God to Jerusalem, . . . “Indeed everyone who quotes proverbs will use this proverb against you: ‘Like mother, like daughter!’ You are your mother’s daughter, loathing husband and children; and you are the sister of your sisters, who loathed their husbands and children; your mother was a Hittite and your father an Amorite.’ ” (Eze. Eze. 16:3, Eze. 16:44-45) [emphasis added].

In chapters 17 and 18, of the Revelation, Babylon is presented as an administrative, economic, religious and cultural worldwide center. According to Revelation 14:8, this city or fortress loses its worldwide leadership position in the middle of the seventieth week, and at the end of the week it is utterly destroyed forever............

" And there followed another angel, saying, Babylon is fallen, is fallen, that great city, because she made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication".

While Jerusalem, in the middle of the week (3 and 1/2 year mark) with the setting up of the Beast or Antichrist in the Temple of Jerusalem, becomes a worldwide center. In other words, the fall of Babylon as a position will be conditioned by the passage of the worldwide power to Jerusalem. On the other hand, we understand that the position of Babylon in Revelation is related to the rule of the Beast or the Antichrist, which we know must ascend into the Roman Empire and must be of Roman origin.

So, Babylon of Revelation chapters 17 and 18 is not the Jerusalem city of Israel.

Again.........I apologize for such a lengthy post!

You said..........
"True, there is wrath for those unbelievers, yet the judgment seen in the N.T. is the judgment of Israel."

I can in NO WAY agree with you. Is Gods wrath aimed at Israel to turn them to Himself......but I do not see any Scriptures which say that that wrath of God will NOT BE felt by all of the world.

Now then you used....Matt.16:27,28- to I think suggest that Jesus presence was His coming.

I apologize for the length of my post. I feel like I am teaching a Bible Study class all of a sudden which I love to do.

As you said and I agree...comparing Scripture to Scripture we can say that All this is true, but in the context of Matthew 16:28, Jesus is talking
about the kingdom of God in the sense he most commonly uses it in the gospels. One aspect of the kingdom of God is the church of Christ. The
church is the kingdom. In fact, Jesus had just finished making that point in Matthew 16:17-19 where Jesus clearly equates the church with the
Kingdom of Heaven. Jesus appears to use the phrase Kingdom of God and Kingdom of Heaven virtually interchangeable in the gospels.

So when was the prophecy fulfilled?

The answer is that the Kingdom of God and of the Son Jesus Christ came on the day of Pentecost, 50 days after
the resurrection of Jesus. This fulfillment is found in Acts chapter two.

Many prophecies, both in the Old Testament and the New Testament point to the coming of the Kingdom in a new and unique way on the Day of Pentecost. For example, one could look at Isaiah 2:2-4. Daniel 2:44,45, Matthew 3:2, Luke 24:45-47, Matthew 16:18-20 and Matt 16:28 all point to the events of the pouring out of the Spirit, the first public gospel sermon and the first conversions to Christ which all occurred on the Day of Pentecost, as recorded in Acts chapter two.

Jesus did not visibly, physically come back on the Day of Pentecost, but he God certainly did come in the person of the Holy Spirit on that day.
There are many passages which express the thought that Jesus comes to us when we receive the gift of the indwelling Holy Spirit. 1 Corinthians
15:24, John 14:15-21 and John 16:7-15 come to mind.

You see, when Rev. 6 unfolds the future beginning of these very disturbing events on earth as the beginning of the terrible seven year Tribulation be unfolding. We must remember that believers in this the Church Age will be in heaven with the Lord and be spared from this judgment that God is about to pour out on earth.(1 Thess. 5, Rev. 3:15. The ones left on the earth will be the unbelieving LOST and the religious of the whole earth.

You said..........
"When you comment on the thousand years in Revelation, it sounds like a cartoon to me. No offense."

NO offence taken my dear. You only said what I already knew. That is the result of the PRETERIST position of the Scriptures.

And I hope you will not take offence either, but if the 1000 year rule of Christ has already taken place, and it is already over two thousand years after the death and resurrection of Jesus, has his thousand-year reign already ended? But how could it have ended since believers are supposed to reign with him? Are we already reigning or are we yet to reign?

The problem with your thesis is that some of those covenants have not been fullfilled!

Abrahamic Covenant = Abraham did go to the Promised Land, he did have many descendants, and he is the forefather of many nations. Several hundred years after Abraham, Joshua led the Israelites to claim ownership of the Promised Land. But Israel has never possessed the specific boundaries that God promised.

How do you as a PRETERIST answer the historical facts that Not even Solomon ruled over this particular area (1 Kings 4:21–24). Although he did reign from the River of Egypt to the Euphrates, he did not hold the area from Mount Hor to Hazarenan (Numbers 34:7–9)—into present-day Lebanon and Syria. In addition, the covenant God made with Abraham was that he and his descendants would have the land forever (Genesis 13:15; 17:8; Ezekiel 16:60). The current Israeli state may be a step in this direction, but they still do not possess the boundaries God laid out.

For your thesis to be true......those Covenants MUST HAVE TAKEN PLACE!

Then there is the The Davidic Covenant = It says that God’s covenant with David was that his line would never die out and that David’s heir would sit on the throne of Israel forever (2 Samuel 7:16). Biblical scholars agree that Jesus is the fulfillment of this covenant—one of the reasons His genealogy is given for both His adoptive father (Matthew 1:1–17) and His mother (Luke 3:23–38). The Jews understood this when they laid down palm branches and their cloaks as Jesus rode into Jerusalem (Matthew 21:1–17). They expected Him to be a military/political leader that would liberate them from the Romans and make Israel a great nation again. However THAT DID NOT HAPPEN!.
But they didn’t understand the nature of Jesus’ work at the time was for the New Covenant, not the Davidic Covenant.
The 1,000-year reign will be the beginning of Jesus’ reign over Israel and the earth with David as the vice-regent and thus fulfilling God's promis.

Then you stated that.......... "Babylon" in Revelation was Jerusalem!

If YOUR PRETERIST theory of Babylon = Jerusalem hypothesis is correct then Jerusalem will never be rebuilt again. Revelation Rev. 18:21-23+ describes the permanent destruction of Babylon. . . . according to the Babylon = Jerusalem view, Jerusalem was destroyed in A.D. 70 and will never be rebuilt again. Yet, how can this be a description of Jerusalem when scripture repeatedly speaks of its return to prominence during the millennial reign (Isa. Isa. 2:3; Zec. Zec. 14:16; Rev. Rev. 20:9+)? Scripture is quite plain that God still has a plan for ethnic Israel and yet the Jerusalem view seems to teach the opposite.5

Thus says the LORD God to Jerusalem, . . . “Indeed everyone who quotes proverbs will use this proverb against you: ‘Like mother, like daughter!’ You are your mother’s daughter, loathing husband and children; and you are the sister of your sisters, who loathed their husbands and children; your mother was a Hittite and your father an Amorite.’ ” (Eze. Eze. 16:3, Eze. 16:44-45) [emphasis added].

In chapters 17 and 18, of the Revelation, Babylon is presented as an administrative, economic, religious and cultural worldwide center. According to Revelation 14:8, this city or fortress loses its worldwide leadership position in the middle of the seventieth week, and at the end of the week it is utterly destroyed forever............

" And there followed another angel, saying, Babylon is fallen, is fallen, that great city, because she made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication".

While Jerusalem, in the middle of the week (3 and 1/2 year mark) with the setting up of the Beast or Antichrist in the Temple of Jerusalem, becomes a worldwide center. In other words, the fall of Babylon as a position will be conditioned by the passage of the worldwide power to Jerusalem. On the other hand, we understand that the position of Babylon in Revelation is related to the rule of the Beast or the Antichrist, which we know must ascend into the Roman Empire and must be of Roman origin.

So, Babylon of Revelation chapters 17 and 18 is not the Jerusalem city of Israel.

Again.........I apologize for such a lengthy
Matt. 10:23 When they persecute you in one town, flee to the next, for truly, I say to you, you will not have gone through all the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes.
Let's start with Jesus's statement there and tell me what you see from that verse bc I think you are missing timing in all your post.
This is not the HolySpirit at Pentecost 50 days after his ascension!

Then I will ask you if you know that Revelation is a book of 7s, each ending with the same catastrophe for Jerusalem of the flesh only. Jesus wept for Jerusalem. (Matt.23)
Also, for mystery Babylon, look at Rev.11. (Where the Lord was crucified) if that's not Jerusalem, take back my college degree!

Oh, and look at the New Jerusalem (the mother of us all) There's no temple in it.
Of course, and so it was and is .God was through with national Israel. Only the REMNANT was saved through faith.
God allowed a Mosque where the temple was. And He even allowed the Holocaust on Israel.
Israel needs the gospel just like any other peoples in the world today.

God was done with the old covenant Israel in AD70 He judged them for rejecting their Messiah.

Matt. 10:23 When they persecute you in one town, flee to the next, for truly, I say to you, you will not have gone through all the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes.
Let's start with Jesus's statement there and tell me what you see from that verse bc I think you are missing timing in all your post.
This is not the HolySpirit at Pentecost 50 days after his ascension!

Yes, I am sure you think that. As A preterist, you will have to say that.

Thank you harriet for the question and giving me the opportunity to give out the Word of God.

To think or say that ........"The words "till the Son of man come" refers to the final judgment is incorrect exegesis and has NO CONTEXT to demand It. So lets to some some Bible work on this Scripture!

Daniel 7:13-14..................
“In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was one like a son of man, a coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence. He was given authority, glory and sovereign power; all nations and peoples of every language worshiped him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom is one that will never be destroyed.”

So we can see that long before the event occurred, prophet Daniel saw a vision of when ” a son of man” Jesus Christ, after the incarnation, came into the presence of “the Ancient of Days“, God, and was given authority.

So, Jesus is talking about his coming into God’s presence to receive authority, as the human Messiah, the son of man, the Son-of-God incarnate who job was to establish the Church!

Jesus told his disciples in Matthew 28:18-20.......
"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

Therefore, Jesus was, in Matthew 10:23, telling his disciples to continue preaching without allowing persecution to make them think that he is no longer the Messiah. When they are persecuted, instead of thinking that he is not the Messiah anymore, they should simply flee to another town, fully conscious of the fact that even before they could finish evangelizing Israel, he must have already come into God’s presence to receive full authority as the Messiah.

Then I will ask you if you know that Revelation is a book of 7s, each ending with the same catastrophe for Jerusalem of the flesh only. Jesus wept for Jerusalem. (Matt.23)
Also, for mystery Babylon, look at Rev.11. (Where the Lord was crucified) if that's not Jerusalem, take back my college degree!
Yes. I am very familiar with numbers in Scriptures. Many years ago I produced a study guide for my church and I would be glad to help you with those numbers.

The number "7" is seen all through the Bible harriet.

In Bible Mathematics the number 7 = "COMPLETENESS"!

Now.....YES....Jerusalm is seen in Rev. 11. But WHY would you say that BABYLON is found in Revelation is Jerusalem in Rev. 11. . YES...Jerusalem is in view which is Sodom and Gomorrah, but would you please post for me the # of the Scripture where we see the word ......"BABYLON"" before I ask you where you got your degree!

Yes. I am very familiar with numbers in Scriptures. Many years ago I produced a study guide for my church and I would be glad to help you with those numbers.

Now.....YES....Jerusalm is seen in Rev. 11. But WHY would you say that BABYLON is found in Revelation is Jerusalem in Rev. 11. . YES...Jerusalem is in view which is Sodom and Gomorrah, but would you please post for me the # of the Scripture where we see the word ......"BABYLON"" before I ask you where you got your degree!

Well, it wasn't Rome where the Lord was crucified. Why do you think heaven exalted in Rev 19 "Babylon has fallen!" ??
These were whom the Lord punished in the war (unbelieving Jews to be precise!)

You say you know numbers. Well, it seems you do not understand that Revelation is a book of 7s. Each with a catastrophe upon the Jews who stayed in Jerusalem and suffered at the hands of the Romans. The Romans were actually God’s instrument in the punishment in Jerusalem AD67-70.

Israel's heaven and earth (their temple) was leveled . The new heaven and earth is where righteousness dwells. This is the spiritual covenant.

Babylon in Revelation was called the harlot.
God had divorced her but the wicked Jews said , I'm not a widow, I will never see sorrow. The widow was called one even if they were just divorced.

Yes, I am sure you think that. As A preterist, you will have to say that.

Thank you harriet for the question and giving me the opportunity to give out the Word of God.

To think or say that ........"The words "till the Son of man come" refers to the final judgment is incorrect exegesis and has NO CONTEXT to demand It. So lets to some some Bible work on this Scripture!

Daniel 7:13-14..................
“In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was one like a son of man, a coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence. He was given authority, glory and sovereign power; all nations and peoples of every language worshiped him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom is one that will never be destroyed.”

So we can see that long before the event occurred, prophet Daniel saw a vision of when ” a son of man” Jesus Christ, after the incarnation, came into the presence of “the Ancient of Days“, God, and was given authority.

So, Jesus is talking about his coming into God’s presence to receive authority, as the human Messiah, the son of man, the Son-of-God incarnate who job was to establish the Church!

Jesus told his disciples in Matthew 28:18-20.......
"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

Therefore, Jesus was, in Matthew 10:23, telling his disciples to continue preaching without allowing persecution to make them think that he is no longer the Messiah. When they are persecuted, instead of thinking that he is not the Messiah anymore, they should simply flee to another town, fully conscious of the fact that even before they could finish evangelizing Israel, he must have already come into God’s presence to receive full authority as the Messiah.
In Daniel 7, Christ came to the Ancient of Days and received his kingdom, which the disciples said they were in. Yet the kingdom was to come with power at Christ's return when he handed up the kingdom he came to establish to the Father- so that God may be all in all.

If all prophecy concerning Israel has been fulfilled, and God is done with unbelieving Israel, where does this fit in?…

Luke 13:35 CSB
[35] See, your house is abandoned to you. I tell you, you will not see me until the time comes when you say, 'Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord'!"

Well, it wasn't Rome where the Lord was crucified. Why do you think heaven exalted in Rev 19 "Babylon has fallen!" ??

You say you know numbers. Well, it seems you do not understand that Revelation is a book of 7s. Each with a catastrophe upon the Jews who stayed in Jerusalem and suffered at the hands of the Romans. The Romans were actually God’s instrument in the punishment in Jerusalem AD67-70.

Israel's heaven and earth (their temple) was leveled . The new heaven and earth is where righteousness dwells. This is the spiritual covenant.

God had divorced her but the wicked Jews said , I'm not a widow, I will never see sorrow. The widow was called one even if they were just divorced.

Thank you for your reply.

You are correct. It was Jerusalem where Christ was Crucified.

You asked me...........
Why do you think heaven exalted in Rev 19 "Babylon has fallen!" ??

Harriet...that makes no sense to me. I have not spoken about Rev. 19.
Now I personally do not know the place or the city of Babylon. But I do know that it is not Jerusalem!

Your opinion is that Babylon represents the holy city of Jerusalem. YOU must think that due to the fact that this is often the view held by preterists. In their view John wrote the book of Revelation in AD 65 and this prophecy predicts the destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70.
So to make that false statement truth, then YOU must make Jerusalem the Babylon of the Revelation.

But to answer you inquiry, I will say that all of heaven is in joy because the capital city of the A/C is destroyed. .
Chapter 18:20-24 says.......
"Rejoice over her, thou heaven, and ye holy apostles and prophets; for God hath avenged you on her. And a mighty angel took up a stone like a great millstone, and cast it into the sea, saying, Thus with violence shall that great city Babylon be thrown down, and shall be found no more at all. And the voice of harpers, and musicians, and of pipers, and trumpeters, shall be heard no more at all in thee; and no craftsman, of whatsoever craft he be, shall be found any more in thee; and the sound of a millstone shall be heard no more at all in thee; And the light of a candle shall shine no more at all in thee; and the voice of the bridegroom and of the bride shall be heard no more at all in thee: for thy merchants were the great men of the earth; for by thy sorceries were all nations deceived. And in her was found the blood of prophets, and of saints, and of all that were slain upon the earth."

Considering His love for Jerusalem how could His angels rejoice over the destruction of “Mystery Babylon” if that were actually Jerusalem? When I first read your comments on this..... My thoughts went to Luke 13:34, where we read, ......
“O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not!”.

Here Christ compared Himself to a hen who would gather her brood, even though they had killed the prophets. Had it not been for the setting aside of Israel at Acts 28, that statement would have been made just a few decades before the destruction of Mystery Babylon in the day of God’s vengeance.

Now, I have not addressed Rev. as you suggested, but I will now by saying Rev. 19:1,
“And after these things I heard a great voice of much people in heaven saying, Alleluia; Salvation, and glory, and honour, and power, unto the Lord our God”. And again in verse 3, “And again they said, ‘Alleluia‘”. And again in verse 6, “Alleluia: for the Lord God Omnipotent reigneth”.

My point is that there was great rejoicing in heaven at the destruction of this city. And rightfully so because God’s prophets were avenged, and the Lord will reign. But would there be such great rejoicing if it were Jerusalem that had been destroyed? Jerusalem, the city of David, the capital city of the nation which was the “apple of His eye”? The city over which Christ spoke so lovingly even though in the same sentence He recognized their sin in killing the prophets.

Harriet, now please allow me to dig in a little deeper about you saying that God will destroy Jerusalem for all of us by quoting Ezek. 5:9 which reads, ...........
“And I will do in thee that which I have not done, and whereunto I will not do any more the like”.

The context show us that this verse has to do with the destruction of Jerusalem by the Babylonians under Nebuchadnezzar. But please note, God said the He would “not do any more the like”. In other words, we read here God’s promise that He will never again destroy Jerusalem.

However.......It is clear that mystery Babylon will indeed be destroyed by God, but this verse alone should prove that Jerusalem is not mystery Babylon.

The Bible truth however is that we DO NOT KNOW. We can assume that the city of Babylon is Rome but we do not know.
We can assume that it is New Yory, but we do not know.
We can assume that it is a city somewhere on the Euphrates River, but we do not know.............YET!

You said...........
"You say you know numbers. Well, it seems you do not understand that Revelation is a book of 7s. Each with a catastrophe upon the Jews who stayed in Jerusalem and suffered at the hands of the Romans. The Romans were actually God’s instrument in the punishment in Jerusalem AD67-70."

In reality I said..........
"Yes. I am very familiar with numbers in Scriptures. "

The 7's you are referring to are the Judgments' of God in the 7 Year Tribulation Period.

There will be seven (7) seals, seven trumpets, (7) and seven bowls (7).

SEVEN judgments = 21 and are included in a set of 3 THREE. THREE sets of 7 each.
The number 3 is used 467 times in the Bible. It pictures completeness, though to a lesser degree than 7. The meaning of this number derives from the fact that it is the first of four spiritually perfect numerals (the others being 7, 10 and 12).
There are 27 books in the New Testament, which is 3 x 3 x 3, or completeness to the third power.
Jesus prayed three times in Gethsemane before His arrest.
He was placed on the cross at the 3rd hour of the day (9 a.m.) and died at the 9th hour (3 p.m.).
There were 3 hours of darkness that covered the land while Jesus was suffering on the cross from the 6th hour to the 9th hour.
Three is the number of resurrection. Christ was dead for 3 full days and 3 full nights a total of 72 hours,

The Seven SEAL Judgments are.........
  1. the first seal signifies the rising of the antichrist.
  2. then comes war (the second seal),
  3. then famine (the third seal), and
  4. the fourth death (the fourth seal).
  5. then come persecution and martyrdom (the fifth seal).
  6. Finally, we have terrifying cataclysms hitting the natural world (the sixth seal).
  7. The seventh seal is in Revelation 8:1 which contains the 7 Trumpet Judgments and the 7th Trumpet judgment contains the 7 Bowl Judgments.
The Seven TRUMPET Judgments are.......
1. Hail and fire mixed with blood, and it was hurled down on the earth.
2. Something like a huge mountain, all ablaze, was thrown into the sea.
3. A great star, blazing, fell from the sky on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water, the name of the star is Wormwood.
4. A third of the sun was struck, a third of the moon, and a third of the stars, so that a third of them turned dark.
5. A demonic influence, described as locusts, to torment those who have rejected God.
6. An army of 200 million men which marches into the Promised land.
7. The angel of God blows his Trumpet and the last set of 7 Judgments are the BOWL Judgments.

The SEVEN BOWL Judgments are.........
1. First Bowl: Loathsome Sores.
2. Second Bowl: The Sea Turns to Blood.
3. Third Bowl: The Fresh Waters Turn to Blood.
4. Fourth Bowl: Men Are Scorched
5. Fifth Bowl: Darkness and Pain
6. Sixth Bowl: Euphrates Dried Up
7. Seventh Bowl: The Earth Utterly Shaken
Revelation 16:17.......17 Then the seventh angel poured out his bowl into the air, and a loud voice came out of the temple of heaven, from the throne, saying, “It is done!”

Now then......where in the Bible can you post the Scriptures where ALL of those events took place in a 7 year time span?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back