Was it Jesus' time?

Here is a verse that I have thought about, and this is my conclusion.

John 2:4
4 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come.

If Jesus meant it was not His time to reveal His deity or start His ministry, why did He do it? It seems to me He would have put Mary over His Father. Jesus said He always does His Father's will. So I think His hour may speak of something else—His wedding.

Revelation 19:7–9
7 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready. 8 And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints. 9 And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God.

Jesus knew one day, He would have a wedding where He would be the host. This wedding was not His, so I think what Jesus was saying this is not my wedding or my responsibility; I am not the host. He may have said it not to be indifferent or unconcerned but to be prophetic, because He went ahead the saved the day.

What do you think?

Hi thoughtfulme
I have never thought of it like that before.
Just the fact that it would be Jesus' first miracle I have understood it to mean it wasn't time to start miracles yet.
Jesus said He only uttered the words that the Father told Him to say. Could it be that The Father told Him to go ahead with this miracle?

Blessings

Jesus knew one day, He would have a wedding where He would be the host. This wedding was not His, so I think what Jesus was saying this is not my wedding or my responsibility; I am not the host.
Interesting hypothesis. I never thought of it this way.
Just the fact that it would be Jesus' first miracle I have understood it to mean it wasn't time to start miracles yet.
Perhaps it has both meanings?

Hi thoughtfulme
I have never thought of it like that before.
Jesus said He only uttered the words that the Father told Him to say. Could it be that The Father told Him to go ahead with this miracle?

Blessings
I could be, but the scripture is silent on that. What we are told is Jesus said it wasn't His time, and if we believe Mary made Him do it, I might as well become Catholic. I am under the opinion that all miracles represent a future blessing and it seems that the wedding supper would be the very first blessing we get to experience in the presence of our Lord so it would be appropriate for Jesus to do His first miracle at a wedding.

Here is a verse that I have thought about, and this is my conclusion.

If Jesus meant it was not His time to reveal His deity or start His ministry, why did He do it? It seems to me He would have put Mary over His Father. Jesus said He always does His Father's will. So I think His hour may speak of something else—His wedding.

Jesus knew one day, He would have a wedding where He would be the host. This wedding was not His, so I think what Jesus was saying this is not my wedding or my responsibility; I am not the host. He may have said it not to be indifferent or unconcerned but to be prophetic, because He went ahead the saved the day.

What do you think?
ALWAYS consider the CONTEXT! The CONTEXT is in verse #3...........
"And when they wanted wine, the mother of Jesus saith unto him, They have no wine."

There is a Problem at a wedding feast and they have run out of wine!!!!!!

Then in verse #4 Jesus says.....or implies......"So what is that to me".

Did she say that as a hint that the disciples should leave?
Calvin said...."Mary wanted Jesus to speak to the guests with a sermon.

Now, Since toasts were common at celebrations like this, in that day, it's possible that Jesus literally meant that it was not yet His turn to offer a toast.

Now there is another implication you might want to think about. May did NOT ask Jesus to do a miracle! She simply said.....
"They are out of wine".
Maybe, Mary was saying something like....Perform a miracle and this would be a great opportunity to prove who you say you are.

Now again, CONTEXT comes in. What was the ONE thing that was always on the mind of Mary. THE VIRGIN BIRTH!
From His birth to His death, the people said that Jesus was Illegitimate. They denied the Virgin Birth completely.

So could it be that Mary is saying.....Here is your opportunity to perform a miracle and demonstrate that I am accurate when I said that you were virgin born and that YOU are the ONE whom I have claimed You are".

Look at the literal words....."What Have I to do with THEE (You). Mine hour is not yet come". Not wine but YOU (THEE).

The implication seems to be that this is not the occasion. I will clear you name, but not here and not now".

When then did that happen is the next question if I am right????

John 19:26, when dies on the cross, Jeus looked down and said to her for all to hear......"Woman, behold thy son"!
At THAT time, the time had come. The hour had come. The occasion was right.

And I also personally think that Jesus knew he was on a divine schedule.

It's interesting that neither ESV nor NIV specify second person singular. Only KJV does that. Now where did I put my study Bible...?

Even more interesting is NLT......"'Dear woman, that's not our problem,' Jesus replied. 'My time has not yet come.'

NASB....."And Jesus said to her, 'What business do you have with Me, woman? My hour has not yet come.'

I am unsure what the difficulty is with Jesus's statement to Mary. Most take it to mean Jesus was telling her, What does your concern have to do with me? LEB version.

The cross reference I have in my Logos App gives this verse as a clarification.
2 Samuel 16:10
10 And the king said, What have I to do with you, ye sons of Zeruiah? so let him curse, because the Lord hath said unto him, Curse David. Who shall then say, Wherefore hast thou done so?

I am unsure what the difficulty is with Jesus's statement to Mary. Most take it to mean Jesus was telling her, What does your concern have to do with me? LEB version.

The cross reference I have in my Logos App gives this verse as a clarification.
2 Samuel 16:10
10 And the king said, What have I to do with you, ye sons of Zeruiah? so let him curse, because the Lord hath said unto him, Curse David. Who shall then say, Wherefore hast thou done so?
I do not think that there is any difficulty. Most all the translations come down to country boy English of......."So What"!

It is very possible that He was looking forward to the Marriage Supper of the Lamb.
However it is just as possible He was not thinking of that at all.
WE simply do not know.

I am not saying I am right, but I have difficulty accepting that Jesus would have proceeded to do the miracle if it wasn't the Father's time for Him to do it. There has to be a better explanation.

I am not saying I am right, but I have difficulty accepting that Jesus would have proceeded to do the miracle if it wasn't the Father's time for Him to do it. There has to be a better explanation.
When Jesus says, "It's not my time", the conventional meaning is it's not his time to begin his ministry. However, he was already there with his disciples so obviously his ministry had already begun. The idea that it was not yet time to begin his miracles is interesting. I had never thought of his miracles as separate from his ministry and indeed, according to other gospels, he had already begun his miracles during the gathering of his disciples! Yet John 2:11 clearly states this as the beginning of his miracles. Yow, my head hurts! :(

So what does he mean? Good question!

When Jesus says, "It's not my time", the conventional meaning is it's not his time to begin his ministry. However, he was already there with his disciples so obviously his ministry had already begun. The idea that it was not yet time to begin his miracles is interesting. I had never thought of his miracles as separate from his ministry and indeed, according to other gospels, he had already begun his miracles during the gathering of his disciples! Yet John 2:11 clearly states this as the beginning of his miracles. Yow, my head hurts! :(

So what does he mean? Good question!

The miracle in Canna was His 1st miracle.

Now.......does "It's not my time" mean that it is not time to begin my ministry?????

I think you need to consider that Mary requested that Jesus perform a miracle at this wedding. Jesus responded by saying......
“My hour has not yet come”.

But, lo and behold, immediately after that, He performs a miracle, which John calls “the first of the signs through which he revealed his glory” in John 2:11.

Now again, CONTEXT comes in. What was the ONE thing that was always on the mind of Mary. THE VIRGIN BIRTH!
From His birth to His death, the people said that Jesus was Illegitimate. They denied the Virgin Birth completely.

Have you considered that it could it be that Mary is saying.....
"Here is your opportunity to perform a miracle and demonstrate that I am accurate when I said that you were virgin born and that YOU are the ONE whom I have claimed You are".

This is a non sequitur. Why would running out of wine at a wedding have anything to do with the virgin birth, especially thirty years after the fact?

This is a non sequitur. Why would running out of wine at a wedding have anything to do with the virgin birth, especially thirty years after the fact?
Have you considered that it could it be that Mary is saying.....
"Here is your opportunity to perform a miracle and demonstrate that I am accurate when I said that you were virgin born and that YOU are the ONE whom I have claimed You are".
I suppose this could be, but it's reading a lot of motive into that one sentence.

I believe 'not my time' is alluding to Jesus' death.

Matthew 26:27-28 ESV
And he took a cup(wine), and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, "Drink of it, all of you, [28] for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.
Blood/wine/cup is often found in tandem in Scripture.

Last edited:
Back