Trying Not To Panic

So, I have been working with the State Of Florida since October 2. Have been in training since about three weeks after that.

We did one week of training on a subject, then they put us on the floor to make calls on that one subject for three weeks. Started training again after those three weeks. They basically slammed information down our throats from then up until today. There was no going to the floor to make calls on a subject that we just learned. We did maybe a couple practices on some stuff we had to do in the system, like make settlements, take credit card payments, etc. We had assessments on the material. Got an 88% on one and 76% on the other. The second one I missed several days of work because I was out with the flu the first week of January. They were open book, note, internet, intranet assessments. Also had an evaluation on the three phases that we learned. I scored 5 out of 5 across the board. Only missed a couple of things, but to get a five you had to have only up to three mistakes. The one phase assessment I didn't get anything wrong.

We're done with training now. Have an assessment tomorrow and final evaluation on Monday. Then to the floor we go.

The majority of us in the class have voiced the opinion that we're not ready and the training is too short. I verbally voiced this opinion the last couple of weeks. They just keep saying we'll do fine. They have faith in us.

Yes, I did well on the evaluation, that doesn't mean it will transfer to actually doing the job.

Don't even get me started on flex calling.

I get from my fiance that she has faith in me and that she wouldn't have recommended I go for the job if she didn't think I could do it. Others say they have faith in me that I can do the job. Believe it or not, them saying this doesn't help me. It makes things worse. I don't want to disappoint them if I can not do the job. I actually asked my fiance not to say it to me anymore. She got visibly upset, not mad, but more like I hurt her feelings. I explained why, but it didn't help.

I am simply not ready and I am panicking and terrified that I am going to completely fail and fall flat on my face.

I am going to make myself physically ill and I don't want to do that. I have hydroxyzine that my PCP gave me for anxiety to take as needed, but it makes me sleepy and that doesn't help me at work.

I have tried praying and asking God to take this feeling from me, but it doesn't go away.

I just don't know what to do.

Last edited:
I have had similar feelings at times in my career. The only real relief for me was after the wave of anxiety had completely washed over me and I realized I wasn’t washed out to “sea”.

I will pray on this.

Please contemplate that the Lord is your master, and He is a loving father who wants you to do well.

Colossians 3:23-24: “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.”

Good morning, naomanos;

We remember when you transitioned from the old job. You overcame the challenges and by God's grace and strength, He led you to your new job. You've come a long way, brother.

It's expected you would be taking on new challenges with new time lines, which you feel is not fair. People around you including your fiance have all the faith in you, except you.

It's seems you are more terrified of failing instead of forward thinking with succeeding. You and all of us were
thanking God for blessing you with your new job.

I agree with blueskies and will join him, the others and your fiance in prayer for your success.

God bless you, naomanos, roll up your sleeves and give it your all in all.

Bob

Very short training is scary especially if you feel unready.

I don’t know what would happen if you failed at something in your job, but in my job if I don’t have enough training and the feeling of competence I also feel performance anxiety. I pray for you it as I know I would listen to my anxiety when it comes to something scary and important.
I had it the other day and have to quit working with a girl because she made me feel such high anxiety I told them I would leave if they put me with her again.

Praying His wisdom and guidance for you naomanos because I can relate.

Uncertainty, anxiety and fear are things we weren't meant to deal with. God created us to rely on him rather than carry those heavy burdens ourselves. There's no question that you're facing a challenge, but try to give concerns about the outcome over to God in prayer... repeatedly if necessary. Focus on your faith that He will come along side and allow yourself to center on doing the best you can.
The enemy will use this situation to try to move you further into self reliance and self blame if things don't go smoothly. Don't let Satan set you up like that. The situation isn't ideal to begin with. If there's some things that don't go well, the responsibility could fall on many shoulders.. Give the outcome over to God. Be assured that you have done your best. These situations test our reliance and our faith that God will work things for the best. Hold fast to your relationship with Him. I pray He will turn His face toward you and give you peace.

Uncertainty, anxiety and fear are things we weren't meant to deal with. God created us to rely on him rather than carry those heavy burdens ourselves. There's no question that you're facing a challenge, but try to give concerns about the outcome over to God in prayer... repeatedly if necessary. Focus on your faith that He will come along side and allow yourself to center on doing the best you can. The enemy will use this situation to try to move you further into self reliance and self blame if things don't go smoothly. Don't let Satan set you up like that. The situation isn't ideal to begin with. If there's some things that don't go well, the responsibility could fall on many shoulders.. Give the outcome over to God. Be assured that you have done your best. These situations test our reliance and our faith that God will work things for the best. Hold fast to your relationship with Him. I pray He will turn His face toward you and give you peace.

Hello Ross J;

Thank you for sharing good wisdom and your hard knocks experience, not only for our brother naomanos but for others and myself who read this topic. It led me to ponder but also reflect the lessons and results learned.

God bless you, brother, and your family.

Bob

They probably expect you to learn on the job. Some jobs are like that, where training is often not emphasized much by the management because it doesn't deal with all the possible scenarios.

Will you be alone while on the floor or will there be other people with you? If the latter, you will have someone turn to, to ask for help. Good luck to you.

Uncertainty, anxiety and fear are things we weren't meant to deal with. God created us to rely on him rather than carry those heavy burdens ourselves. There's no question that you're facing a challenge, but try to give concerns about the outcome over to God in prayer... repeatedly if necessary. Focus on your faith that He will come along side and allow yourself to center on doing the best you can.
The enemy will use this situation to try to move you further into self reliance and self blame if things don't go smoothly. Don't let Satan set you up like that. The situation isn't ideal to begin with. If there's some things that don't go well, the responsibility could fall on many shoulders.. Give the outcome over to God. Be assured that you have done your best. These situations test our reliance and our faith that God will work things for the best. Hold fast to your relationship with Him. I pray He will turn His face toward you and give you peace.
Yes, I want to join bobinfaith in thanking you for the wise comments.

My job is nothing but stress and anxiety. I am not sure I could survive, if I did not keep God in the front seat. Unfortunately, this takes daily effort, as it comes at you multiple times a day and it is only human to forget who is actually writing (has written) the chapters of our lives.

My last drama moment was last Thursday. I was called up to the 9th floor (this is where all the power people work and a place I avoid with a passion).

Three of my actions were brought into question and it was quite stressful. The really sad thing is that all three of my actions were at the suggestion of other people what are in positions way higher than me. All three were at that meeting, yet not a single one of them stood up and took responsibility. I just decided to sit there and take all the hits and not start a mini war. This was hard to do, as I have e-mails from these folks suggesting I do what I eventually did. In one case, I did what I did so my boss would not have violated someone's contractually obligated due process. I don't blame him for not saying anything, as I know that he has no idea that what he told me to not do, had I done it, would have resulted in serious problems with one particular labor union we work with.

Anyway naomanos, take a deep breath, hold it, and jump into the water. Be comforted by the fact that we have the best "lifeguard" money cannot buy. In might not feel like it, but there is a reason they call it "faith."

Rtm

So, I have been working with the State Of Florida since October 2. Have been in training since about three weeks after that.

We did one week of training on a subject, then they put us on the floor to make calls on that one subject for three weeks. Started training again after those three weeks. They basically slammed information down our throats from then up until today. There was no going to the floor to make calls on a subject that we just learned. We did maybe a couple practices on some stuff we had to do in the system, like make settlements, take credit card payments, etc. We had assessments on the material. Got an 88% on one and 76% on the other. The second one I missed several days of work because I was out with the flu the first week of January. They were open book, note, internet, intranet assessments. Also had an evaluation on the three phases that we learned. I scored 5 out of 5 across the board. Only missed a couple of things, but to get a five you had to have only up to three mistakes. The one phase assessment I didn't get anything wrong.

We're done with training now. Have an assessment tomorrow and final evaluation on Monday. Then to the floor we go.

The majority of us in the class have voiced the opinion that we're not ready and the training is too short. I verbally voiced this opinion the last couple of weeks. They just keep saying we'll do fine. They have faith in us.

Yes, I did well on the evaluation, that doesn't mean it will transfer to actually doing the job.

Don't even get me started on flex calling.

I get from my fiance that she has faith in me and that she wouldn't have recommended I go for the job if she didn't think I could do it. Others say they have faith in me that I can do the job. Believe it or not, them saying this doesn't help me. It makes things worse. I don't want to disappoint them if I can not do the job. I actually asked my fiance not to say it to me anymore. She got visibly upset, not mad, but more like I hurt her feelings. I explained why, but it didn't help.

I am simply not ready and I am panicking and terrified that I am going to completely fail and fall flat on my face.

I am going to make myself physically ill and I don't want to do that. I have hydroxyzine that my PCP gave me for anxiety to take as needed, but it makes me sleepy and that doesn't help me at work.

I have tried praying and asking God to take this feeling from me, but it doesn't go away.

I just don't know what to do.
On the floor training for WHAT? What is it that you are training for if I may ask? That might help in giving an opinion.

On the floor training for WHAT? What is it that you are training for if I may ask? That might help in giving an opinion.

I work for the Florida Department of Revenue in the General Tax Administration. I'm in the collections unit. We're considered pre-warrant.

Basically, I call business's to collect unpaid taxes. There are three main taxes. Corporate, sales and use, and reemployment taxes. There are penalties, interest and fees when late. Each tax type has its own penalty structure and sometimes several within a tax type (mostly sales and use). I have to look at an account and determine what is wrong and multiple tax returns and payments across tax types can be due.

We have to clear 90 accounts and make at at least 500 notes in a month. That is their expectation. We did calls on one tax type, corporate for three weeks back in October into November. I cleared only 35 cases and had 200ish notes.

Case clears aren't easy. People promise to pay and then don't. We have 40 days per account. If they don't clear we either send them to a collection agency or to our next level, where a warrant is generally filed. These do not count as case clears.

I work for the Florida Department of Revenue in the General Tax Administration. I'm in the collections unit. We're considered pre-warrant.

Basically, I call business's to collect unpaid taxes. There are three main taxes. Corporate, sales and use, and reemployment taxes. There are penalties, interest and fees when late. Each tax type has its own penalty structure and sometimes several within a tax type (mostly sales and use). I have to look at an account and determine what is wrong and multiple tax returns and payments across tax types can be due.

We have to clear 90 accounts and make at at least 500 notes in a month. That is their expectation. We did calls on one tax type, corporate for three weeks back in October into November. I cleared only 35 cases and had 200ish notes.

Case clears aren't easy. People promise to pay and then don't. We have 40 days per account. If they don't clear we either send them to a collection agency or to our next level, where a warrant is generally filed. These do not count as case clears.
Makes sense!

So your training then needs to be in the area of how to threaten those who do not pay and still be friendly.

Well...........bad new, it can not be done my brother!

Many years ago I had the job of collecting bad checks in the position I had. Universally I will say that the only thing that works is a Certified letter with an attachment that "If your account is not cleared in 30 days, the attached warrant from the sheriff's dept. will be activated"!

Back