The Long Ager Dichotomy!

Time is as relevant to God as the other 3 dimensions. God cannot be contained in space or in time. We are the only beings aware of the passage of time (observe your dog or cat sometime; they're stuck in a perpetual "now"). Therefore, arguments that God spent "time" doing anything are fallacious.
THAT is the bottom line fact!

This is a really good thread that can be helpful to lots of people.

1. The Earth is 6000 years old according to the Biblical genealogy record.

Please note that The Bible does not provide us with a verifiable date for the creation of the world, your assumption cannot be answered with a Bible answer. The 6000 year figure was derived by using the genealogical records found in Genesis. One of the troubles with that calculation is there are gaps in the genealogies. An accurate number of 6000 years is simply cannot be ascertained.

2. The Earth is billions of years old.

Consider the following fact that we now know......
1 light year is the distance light travels in an Earth year. We have telescopes that "see" billions of light years into space. This means that these stars we "see" are at least billions of years old as the light emitted from them has taken billions of years to arrive at Earth.

Now no matter how we think or calculate this, the only answer is that "Science is Wrong" and we ignore it completely. OR........
We try and find another answer.

Now when we reject science, we are saying or we must say that radiometric dating is based on erroneous assumptions and cannot be trusted. It proposes that when using radiometric dating, scientists make many assumptions and “build their interpretations on these assumptions.”

In fact, when that idea is followed, we must understand that to come to that conclusion, they completely disregard the many different types of dating techniques scientists use that each confirm one another.

For instance, other forms of absolute dating exist such as tree ring counting, thermoluminescence, electron spin resonance, Ice core readings and many other different types of radiometric techniques. I encourage you to explore these techniques here and understand this for yourself.

I was thinking of this thread when I came across this verse...

Mark 10:6
But from the beginning of creation he made them male and female.

This would mean if the earth is millions of years, so is Adam and Eve. (we know that is not so, because he lived 930 years-Gen 5:5)
OR
Creation did not happen.
Just to add another log onto the fire, I will introduce one other aspect of the argument against using scientific methods to determine the age of the earth.

The idea seems to be and is suggested that since scientists were not present at the time of the formation of rocks, that are radion dated or nuclear processed, then they cannot know exactly what happened and cannot try to understand.

So then......Central to the argument is that “what we observe and measure today exists only in the present.”

Therefore, they discount all use of science to make estimations of the past. With this, is the effort try to discount radiometric dating or scientistic processes as evidence since we were not around back then, they invalidate their own argument as they suggest that we should accept the words of the Bible as evidence.

However, if we use that kind of logic, then We certainly were not alive when the Bible was written either.

That brings up the word.....Paradox!

As a follow up....I did some work of genealogies and the "gaps".

For instance, the genealogy in Matthew 1:8-9 tells us that Joram was “the father of Uzziah, and Uzziah the father of Jotham” .

But from 1 Chronicles 3:10–12 (which uses the alternate name Azariah for Uzziah), we learn that three generations have been omitted by Matthew: Joash, Amaziah, and Azariah.

So when Genesis 5 says,.........“When Seth had lived 105 years, he fathered Enosh,” it could mean that Seth fathered someone whose descendent was Enosh. Thus Enosh in Genesis 5:6–8 could in fact be someone who came many generations after Seth. In that case, the large number of years is not meant to give us a chronology that can be added together to get the age of humanity, but rather it is given to show us the health and longevity of someone who could still beget children at more than 100 years old and could even live to 912 years.

Just another answer !

As a follow up....I did some work of genealogies and the "gaps".

For instance, the genealogy in Matthew 1:8-9 tells us that Joram was “the father of Uzziah, and Uzziah the father of Jotham” .

But from 1 Chronicles 3:10–12 (which uses the alternate name Azariah for Uzziah), we learn that three generations have been omitted by Matthew: Joash, Amaziah, and Azariah.

So when Genesis 5 says,.........“When Seth had lived 105 years, he fathered Enosh,” it could mean that Seth fathered someone whose descendent was Enosh. Thus Enosh in Genesis 5:6–8 could in fact be someone who came many generations after Seth. In that case, the large number of years is not meant to give us a chronology that can be added together to get the age of humanity, but rather it is given to show us the health and longevity of someone who could still beget children at more than 100 years old and could even live to 912 years.

Just another answer !
3 generations or 'many generations after Seth' might account for the thousands of years discrepancy amongst Young- Earthers, but hardly fills the millions of years put forward by Old Earth theorists. Personally, I'll take the words (Mark 10:6) of One who rose from the dead AND was there over some armchair theoreticians any day.

Last edited:
3 generations or 'many generations after Seth' might account for the thousands of years discrepancy amongst Young- Earthers, but hardly fills the millions of years put forward by Old Earth theorists. Personally, I'll take the words (Mark 10:6) of One who rose from the dead AND was there over some armchair theoreticians any day.
I only gave ONE example of the discrepancies in geanology. ONE!

Back