Journal The Garage

Well.... I can't believe it's already January 8th. I seem to have gone through the beginning of the year in a fog. I got extremely reflective after Christmas... and simply forgot to stop. HA.

I had great plans of making an on-line journal type of thread. ( something like my jigsaw puzzle thread that can be added onto in real time )... but with a more encouraging and sharing tone.

So.... this morning... I decided that even though I am a week late... I am going to give this on-line journal of my journey... a try. I have no idea what it's going to look like/play out as... but it will be a place where I honestly share my thoughts and my heart.

Welcome to the GARAGE.:):):)

January 8th, 2024

Devotional for today.
God calls you to believe and then works with zeal to craft you into a person who really does live by faith.

Ok... so... I started a new devotional this year... It's called New Morning Mercies by David Paul Tripp.
I like it because it's deep...and it focuses on God's character rather than trying to fix what's wrong with us.
The answer is always the same.... GOD is ABLE and HE DESIRES to lavish you with His care and love. I
don't know about you... but I know a good deal when I see one... :) ... and that my friends is a good DEAL!

Now onto the hard stuff... the reality of what my life is actually like. I have two challenges. So... for anyone
who thinks I am always just a HAPPY CAMPER all the time... I am here to CORRECT that. HA.

I have type 2 Diabetes. a very mild form in that I am not morbidly obese and my skin ( blood flow ) is good. I am simply teetering between overweight and obese. What has saved me is probably that I love fruits and vegetables and I don't eat out at all... I am a good cook. However... I eat too much.... my portions are off the wall... and I'm sure part of that is just boredom.
Honestly... I hate that word obese... because it sounds so awful... but it doesn't take much to land oneself in the obese category.

Anyways.... I was on this medication to lower my blood sugars and it worked very well... I lost 35 pounds ( this got me out of the obese
category ). The problem now is that I cannot GET this medication due to the underproduction of it and because it is now being used/abused as
a drug for the "ever fluctuating diet world... due to the fact that it's side effect is weight loss.

Anyways.... that's all good and fine... and I am not sick by not taking it.... however... this means I must be way more DILIGENT with my diet... my portions and my choices. All this equals out to.... IT SUCKS!!!!!!! AND... because I do not want to regain all the weight that I have already lost... I need to come up with a plan... and so today... begins my new plan of being mindful about my diet.

ALSO.... and even more unpleasant. HA.... is the need for exercise.... especially now... So... this is going to entail a very long morning walk despite the fact that it is winter in Northern Ontario. Walking is not new to me... and I actually very much enjoy these early morning walks with my teddy bear ( REALLY.... I tuck him into my coat for company... HA ).... and because it's dark out... no one notices that I have a teddy bear sticking his head out of my jacket. HA... It amuses me to do this... so I do it.

So... there you all have it.... In AWE of HIM has a huge challenge this year.... to stay healthy for medical reasons. I'm sure there are more reasons but I'm not too impressed right now with any of them. HA.

Self-discipline is NOT fun.... but it is important for a prosperous soul.

Being diabetic is no joke, I lost about 75 pounds before I was diagnosed. My sugar level spiked the doctors machine, my A1C was 14++. I am on insulin and yesterday my pharmacy told me that my insulin is on backlog and they don't know when they will be getting any. I now have to call my insurance company to see what other pharmacies I can use and then call them to see if they have what I need. I mostly control my sugar with diet, but, I still need some insulin. I am happy to hear that you are taking it seriously, I know a guy who was not and had his leg amputated just 2 months ago. He is much more serious about it now. My A1C is now down to a 6. Keep up the good work and positive attitude. God loves you!

Being diabetic is no joke, I lost about 75 pounds before I was diagnosed. My sugar level spiked the doctors machine, my A1C was 14++. I am on insulin and yesterday my pharmacy told me that my insulin is on backlog and they don't know when they will be getting any. I now have to call my insurance company to see what other pharmacies I can use and then call them to see if they have what I need. I mostly control my sugar with diet, but, I still need some insulin. I am happy to hear that you are taking it seriously, I know a guy who was not and had his leg amputated just 2 months ago. He is much more serious about it now. My A1C is now down to a 6. Keep up the good work and positive attitude. God loves you!
What beautiful words... with such tenderness. THANK YOU.

75 pounds loss is QUITE the accomplishment. Before I ran out of Ozempic... my weight had stabilized to a place that I was happy with. I am going on my second week without the medication... and that alone has put a scare into me...in that I really have to be purposefully mindful of what I am doing physically and food-wise. For once I am catching this before I end up back to square one with all that weight gain.

Eating healthy is going to be easy for me because I love fruits and vegetables and I am a good cook. I don't eat processed meals... everything is home made from scratch... so I am in a good place. I am just in need of some consistency and discipline to maintain this over time.

The walking is something I have been doing over the winter months... but I have not done it every day... so I just have to make sure I get out and just DO IT. Because I walk early... it's simply a nice way to start my day... and I've learned the art of dressing in layers.... that really is a thing... and it works... so with a good coat and pair of boots... there is no excuse.

Thank you Dave F. for the encouragement.

Well... there is good news for me... I called my doctor this morning... and apparently there is a higher doseage of the medication I am on... and I probably should have been placed on that doseage but got overlooked... anyways... if all goes well... the pharmacy will deliver this medication this afternoon. For some reason it's only the starter (lower dosage pens) that are not available. WHO KNEW??

Anyways.... that does not change a thing regarding my need to increase my activity and watch what I eat so.... nothing has changed. HA.
I am however relieved that this issue will be addressed. I have never experienced NOT being able to get medication due to a shortage or stoppage... ( not even sure what the real issue is ).

We live in the country so in summer time there is more than enough to keep us busy,. However in the winter things slow down so my wife and I checked out early morning mall walking. I was surprised at how many people 'mostly retired' mall walkers there are. Interesting people, everyone has a story to tell, which is often encouraging. Plus you can always close the excursion by sitting around at a table with a cup of coffee.
We have a mall in the city with free underground parking:).

Hello In Awe of Him, this is a great idea for a thread. I can relate to the tittle as our garage seems to be where many of the odd bits and pieces of our life seem to accumulate. I think an archaeologist, or perhaps a psychologist, would have a field day in our garage.

We, my wife and I, have had the leash on our lifestyle jerked so to speak. Because of elevated cholesterol and some resulting heart issues, we’ve began an overhaul of our food choices and intake last year.
We were doing exceptionally well, but… slipped a little during the holidays. So… it’s back to a more disciplined day and mindful lifestyle.
You sound like you are doing exceptionally well and I am encouraged in the sharing of your efforts here.

I look forward to more garage musings.
God bless you.

We live in the country so in summer time there is more than enough to keep us busy,. However in the winter things slow down so my wife and I checked out early morning mall walking. I was surprised at how many people 'mostly retired' mall walkers there are. Interesting people, everyone has a story to tell, which is often encouraging. Plus you can always close the excursion by sitting around at a table with a cup of coffee.
We have a mall in the city with free underground parking:).
I love this!!!!!!! because it allows you to stay WARM..

To my absolute SHOCK.... I have found myself enjoying cold weather sports more than the warm weatther.... As an example.... I started swimming in the early morning when the lake was cold... ( not to the extreme of those ICE dips... that is not what I am talking about ).... but the water was definitely cold.... and I found those to be my favorite type of swims. There is something so tranquil about having the entire lake to myself that was absolutely wonderful. It's the same with the walking... I bundle up and I just walk. It's the doing it EVERY DAY that I have a hard time with.

So nice to read your comment. The wonderful thing about the mall is that you also get to FELLOWSHIP ( i.e. the cup of coffee ).... My walking is a solitary thing. Bless you... and enjoy the mall walking.... so happy to hear that is a THING.

*Edit.... OH and the bulky boots are not wonderful either so I don't get to walk as far... but I try and walk for an hour... Half hour each way. I have a specific path that I take and it's in a lovely neighbourhood... so I often don't run into ANYONE due to the time of morning I walk ( between 5 am and 6 am )... I have a flashing light that clips on to my coat and makes me look like a police CAR.... HAHAHA.

Last edited:
Hello @In Awe of Him, this is a great idea for a thread. I can relate to the tittle as our garage seems to be where many of the odd bits and pieces of our life seem to accumulate. I think an archaeologist, or perhaps a psychologist, would have a field day in our garage.
HAHAHA... you have me thinking of pickled dinasour parts.... HAHAHA or.... canned veggies that are from 1932. HAHAHA.
I live in a converted garage... which is why I chose the name.

January 8th, 2024

Devotional for today.
God calls you to believe and then works with zeal to craft you into a person who really does live by faith.
Being diabetic is no joke, I lost about 75 pounds before I was diagnosed. My sugar level spiked the doctors machine, my A1C was 14++. My A1C is now down to a 6. Keep up the good work and positive attitude. God loves you!
We live in the country so in summer time there is more than enough to keep us busy,. However in the winter things slow down so my wife and I checked out early morning mall walking. I was surprised at how many people 'mostly retired' mall walkers there are.

Good morning, In Awe of Him;

Thank you for coming up with the idea to post this thread. I love what you posted, "works with zeal" We all face our struggles whether our faith, health and relationships but when we follow with a solution, God's Way, it makes for an encouraging read.

For example, Dave's A1C sugar level spiked to 14++ but through perseverance he got it down to 6. That is awesome and greatly gives me hope that I can do the same. 11 years ago my former doctor advised me he had to quit being my doctor because my sugar level was 10 and I wouldn't follow his advice and start taking insulin. Today my doctor was pleased that my sugar level is down to 7.1.

2404 brought up an idea. In 2024 my wife and I would like to try new things together during our retirement. We talked about mall walking. At the food court there are a group of retired men and women that enjoy sitting together for awhile and chatting while drinking coffee.

Speaking of The Garage, we invested in a Tough Shed about 6 years ago. It was supposed to store Christmas decorations and suitcases but it ended up being a warehouse for much of my wife's stuff that she doesn't use or need anymore. I reminded her again of when are we going to tackle this project and donate or dump alot of items. She is supposed to supervise while I take everything out. I hope it will be this year.

I've always practiced time and organizational management. It is part of a discipline to help manage my health and has paid off. So when setbacks arise like when I broke my leg last October, I dealt with it and had a cast put on. But everything else stayed in place as much as I could and it helped me think better.

God bless everyone.

To be continued....

January 9th, 2024

For the believer, fear is always God-forgetful. If God is sovereign and His rule is complete, wise, righteous and good, why would you fear?

The devotional I have... always begins with a highlighted thought... which is what I am including. It's one sentence that usually describes the topic of the day. So.... today... it's about FEAR. I am blessed that I have never had to deal with fear or anxiety. I am all too familiar with severe depression, but that is a separate beast in itself.
For those who DO have to deal with thoughts that would come to STEAL... KILL... and DESTROY... I pray PEACE over you... I pray STILLNESS to be able to have the time to run to the GOOD SHEPHERD. He will pick you up and hold you close to His heart... no matter what condition you are in.

I am thinking back to a time where things were NOT as they are now for me. I have come here into the forums after being healed from a terrible oppression and suppression that literally lasted my entire adult life. Things were NOT joyous as they are now for me.... and perhaps that is why this AWE I have is like NEW every morning. I have begged Father to preserve that in me and help me to learn how to FEED it. HA. I never want my gratitude or AWE of Him to go away... because for so many years... I couldn't even bear to lift my head.

When I went to the mall yesterday morning... I saw my little guy sitting on the cement in front of the doors and I asked him what he would like to drink and eat... and he said muffins and chocolate milk... so before I did my own shopping... I got his two things and brought them out to him. This time...( and I'm not sure if it's the same person that I have seen before )... I asked him some questions... I found out his name... and a bit of his story. He literally has nothing to live for. He needs housing... He did not appear to be a user of any kind of substance but I could be wrong on that.
Either way... he is still without a place to SAFELY lay his head at night. I can't imagine having to sleep outside in this cold weather.
So... I'm thinking about this...wishing I had an extra GARAGE with an extra bed but I don't... and I can't. But I can pray for him. Once you learn someone's name... things change... and so.... I will PRAY... because I know that my GOD is GOOD and HE is FAITHFUL. Things like this matter to HIM.

Thank YOU Father... that you are a FAITHFUL God and that YOU delight in the prayers of your children.

Yesterday I did my long walk plus another shorter walk to the grocery store. This morning I will do another long walk and get all cozy because a heavy storm is coming in. We had a green Christmas ( which hasn't happened for over 20 years ). it has snowed since then but we sure don't have what we usually have at this time of year. The lake doesn't have ONE ice-fishing shack on it because it's been so warm.

My medication was delivered... I'm so glad I called the pharmacy because I found out that they do have a supply of Ozempic but it is at the larger maintenance dosage ( which I should have been placed on but got overlooked ). It's all fixed now. This will definitely help me with the weight loss. I am feeling so very blessed.

Last edited:
Good morning, In Awe of Him;

Thank you for sharing January 9 2024. I enjoyed reading what you shared.

I never understood the full medical symptoms of depression. I know it's more than mental but physical as well, and widespread throughout the world.

I have a long time friend who is a mentor and Christian men's and marriage counselor. When I was in my 40s he had me take a test for depression but the results were negative.

There is a commercial about Ozempic and the jingle comes from 1975's Oh, oh oh, it's magic. Do you remember that song?

God bless you, sister.

There is a commercial about Ozempic and the jingle comes from 1975's Oh, oh oh, it's magic. Do you remember that song?
YES I do remember that song.... but had no idea there were Ozempic commericals... NOW... that jingle is going to stay in my head...
Like the song that never ends... Sorry... I couldn't resist... Maybe this should be the theme song of "The Garage" HAHAHAHAHA.

January 10th, 2024

The DNA of joy is thankfulness.

What a compact but complex statement... and... it's the absolute truth. GRATITUDE/THANKFULNESS is what feeds and promotes JOY. The JOY of the bible is not happiness... it's not fickle like happiness... it's a deep and complete sense of contentment and confidence that all is WELL with the SOUL.. no matter the circumstances... because of complete trust in our CREATOR.

Today is my daughter's 32nd birthday. She will have the pleasure of opening up a parcel I sent with all kinds of little things in it... all individually wrapped. I was so impressed with myself :))) for getting this together and in the mail ON TIME.

I haven't had my walk yet this morning... Will be leaving after I finish this post. We had a snow storm warning but it seems to have passed us by.... we got the snow... but not the storm.

Yesterday my little Chromebook shut down and would not restart. I just purchased it in November and this is the second time it happened.... so... I decided to go back to Best Buy. It was past the 30 day return so I did not have high hopes for an exchange... however... to my SURPRISE... there was an extended warranty on it due to the Christmas season... so... YES!!!! I got a new Chromebook. Hopefully this one will have NO issues.

Anyways... it's going to be a quiet puzzle day... and of course... a celebration of my daughter's birthday from afar.

Ok....... SO......... WELL...... AND...... BUT.....( Thought I would start with a dramatic entrance... HA )

There is something on my mind. The topic of bad doctrine has exposed myself to the fact that I am NOT attending a physical church. I have explained the WHY of it... but it has led me to a deeper realization... which is the fact that I am a loner and do not enjoy being with crowds of people for any period of time. I'm not sure when... how or why I developed this characteristic... as I do remember being quite social in my younger years.... but in the last 9 years of living where I am now... I have almost totally isolated myself. I love being alone. My life is quiet... peaceful and filled with great JOY. I have my Christian radio station on during the morning and I get to listen to some great Christian teachings. I do not feel I am missing out on ANYTHING... and perhaps that's the problem. Due to my trust issues and bad taste in my mouth for bad doctrine... I simply gave up trying to find Christian fellowship.

I am quite aware of the scripture that states ... do NOT forsake the assembly... I am also aware of what church is MEANT to be... but honestly... I have never experienced this... and being an only child probably does not help the fact that I have learned to be very self-sufficient and independent. I have never been one to go to others for counsel or advice.

Going to a church would be easy. There are several within walking distance... and I'm sure a phone call to any one of the ones that aren't close would grant me a free pick up on any given Sunday morning... however... I just honestly have no desire to reach out to any of them.

God has been so very good to me... and I do try to bring JOY wherever I go. I love my neighbours... I do my best to be kind with my words. I wish I could get this desire to fellowship... but try as I might... I just don't believe the church of today does that in a meaningful way.

@In Awe of Him You are in fellowship on this forum, and making a good job of it. Do not get stressed. You can make this your church. Church is not a building. Don't worry.
Love you Sister
God Bless
Thank you for your kind comment... I do NOT desire to be disobedient in any way... shape or form... but we all have limitations. When one lives all alone... they are not exposed to others' opinions or thoughts. Since coming here... I have realized that I have much to learn in the department of being with other Christians... including being accountable for my beliefs.

I do not find it difficult to be honest and transparent. It's second nature for me to share openly... and perhaps that part stems from being all alone. When I type my thoughts here... it's with the intention to simply share my heart.

Anyways... time to work on the puzzle.... Bless you my precious sister.

January 11th, 2024

This is not from my devotional...

Ephesians 4:22-23
22 You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires;
23 to be made new in the attitude of your minds;

1704970136897.png

This made me giggle... and it made me think about something we ( as humans ) do and that is to take short-cuts. Sometimes... this is to save time/save money... but other times... it's because we don't want to do something difficult or challenging.
When I walk in the morning... I take the LONG WAY... so that I can get my proper exercise in. I make myself go all the way... no short-cuts.

Lately... I have been thinking about doing things because they matter. Things like taking the time to stop and talk with my little guy who sits outside the mall that I frequent... asking him what I might get him to eat and drink... and doing that FIRST before shopping for myself so that he is not simply an afterthought but rather my most important thought.

Making sure that I leave home with the right attitude... saying a prayer that God would guard my lips and heart. Allowing for the possibility of perhaps running into someone who is not so kind with their own words or attitudes... and taking the challenge not to respond in kind.

I think I am starting to understand the importance of acting in a CHRIST-LIKE manner in all situations... at all times. At one time... I didn't even give things like this a thought. I guess it was easier to cherry pick what I wanted to work on and adopt. Lately... things like this are very important to me because I am realizing that I am an ambassador for Christ. I seem to have recently developed an affection and desire to try and practice this TRUTH. I have decided to take the LONG WAY... instead of the short-cut.

God calls you to persevere, and then, with powerful grace, He protects and keeps you.

This is AMAZING!!! This is EXCITING!!! This is MAGNIFICENT!!! This is GOD!!!

It is in promises like this that I can get caught up and float away. These words make my heart to REST and SING... all at the same time. To think that the God of the Universe who created the galaxies.... has me on His mind... and not only that... He is actively paying attention to my footsteps throughout the day... making sure that I am protected and kept safe from all harm. Just WOW!!!!!!!!

Do we honestly CELEBRATE the GOOD NEWS of the bible like we should?

Do we get over the moon EXCITED about the words in the bible that speak not only promises ( = assurances) but also declarations of ABSOLUTE TRUTHS? I'm not trying to boast... but things like this get me VERY EXCITED.... like I mean if I was a dog... my tail would be wagging back and forth at the speed of light. HA

Do we spend appropriate energy and time contemplating and CELEBRATING the numerous and wondrous declarations promised over us because we are Christians???

Back