The Doctrine of Religion

I've noticed this over the hears, and even Dr. John Barnett once stated that "religion" is man's attempt to work his way into worthiness for salvation. MacArthur is now saying that "religion" dulls professing believers sensitivity to sin, and better enables them to overlook their conscience against sin when they think that they can work their way into God's good pleasure. Religion, then, is what is most practiced by the immoral who avoid faith.

MM

Hello Musicmaster;

Dr.s Barnett and Macarthur present the attitude and arguments of religion, amen. The "world" puts alot of stock in the dictionary definition of religion.

Because of this, Christians should have the higher task of distinguishing religion from the other two and recognize it's contextual use in the Bible.
For example, BIBLE READERS, please don't just glance at these Scriptures, but read and meditate;

James 1:26-27, 26 If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless. 27 Religion that is pure and undefiled before God the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.

Acts 26:4-7, 4 “My manner of life from my youth, spent from the beginning among my own nation and in Jerusalem, is known by all the Jews. 5 They have known for a long time, if they are willing to testify, that according to the strictest party of our religion I have lived as a Pharisee. 6 And now I stand here on trial because of my hope in the promise made by God to our fathers, 7 to which our twelve tribes hope to attain, as they earnestly worship night and day. And for this hope I am accused by Jews, O king!

Colossians 2:17-19, 17 These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ. 18 Let no one disqualify you, insisting on asceticism and worship of angels, going on in detail about visions, puffed up without reason by his sensuous mind, 19 and not holding fast to the Head, from whom the whole body, nourished and knit together through its joints and ligaments, grows with a growth that is from God.

God bless you, MM.

It was reported that more "evangelicals" (whatever that means these days) are "turning away" in larger percentages than ever before. More and more people are becoming swayed by society and culture, seeing those elements of our surroundings as the higher authorities for defining morality and truth than the 66 books of the Bible. The source for this is HERE.

This does indeed shed a light upon the fact as to how fluid "religion" really is in modern thought, practice, and even way of life. Those who are turning away from the authority of the word of God inevitably give in to the idea that perverse lifestyles are moral and acceptable "as long as there is love," never minding that they have no clue as to what real love is when they turn their backs on the very manifestation of Love.

2 Timothy 3:1-5
1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; [hedonism]
5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

We are to reject and let go into the hands of Satan those who willingly turn away.

Psalm 5:4-5
4 For thou [art] not a God that hath pleasure in wickedness: neither shall evil dwell with thee.
5 The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity.

Not some, not most, but ALL workers of iniquity stand in the fires of God's hatred.

MM

We are to reject and let go into the hands of Satan those who willingly turn away.
Regarding (weak) believers..

Jude 21-23 (KJV) Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. And of some have compassion, making a difference: And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

It's hard to make a distinction at times, because here is the ungodly side of things. ...

Jude 15-16 (KJV) To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him. These are murmurers, complainers, walking after their own lusts; and their mouth speaketh great swelling words, having men's persons in admiration because of advantage.

I think we can look to the jews and see this exact thing. they took the law religiously and made a religion out of it.. Then thought they were righteous.. yet they were full of sin. yet denied what they did was sin, and/r thought they were ok, because they played by the rules (tradition and ceremony)

It was reported that more "evangelicals" (whatever that means these days) are "turning away" in larger percentages than ever before. More and more people are becoming swayed by society and culture, seeing those elements of our surroundings as the higher authorities for defining morality and truth than the 66 books of the Bible. The source for this is HERE.

This does indeed shed a light upon the fact as to how fluid "religion" really is in modern thought, practice, and even way of life. Those who are turning away from the authority of the word of God inevitably give in to the idea that perverse lifestyles are moral and acceptable "as long as there is love," never minding that they have no clue as to what real love is when they turn their backs on the very manifestation of Love.

2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; [hedonism]
5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

4 For thou [art] not a God that hath pleasure in wickedness: neither shall evil dwell with thee.
5 The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity.

Not some, not most, but ALL workers of iniquity stand in the fires of God's hatred.

MM

Agreed.

Regarding (weak) believers..

Jude 21-23 (KJV) Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. And of some have compassion, making a difference: And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

It's hard to make a distinction at times, because here is the ungodly side of things. ...

Jude 15-16 (KJV) To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him. These are murmurers, complainers, walking after their own lusts; and their mouth speaketh great swelling words, having men's persons in admiration because of advantage.

CN, that one pesky little verse in Psalm is what helped me to understand the distinction among those who have and are walking the path of evil.

Psalm 5:5 The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity.

Therein is the distinction for our understanding. Those who fell into a sin, they are those whom we can pull from the fire.

Beyond that are the actual workers of iniquity, doing evil and teaching others do to likewise, and who establish laws and policies along that line. It is they whom I leave in the devil's hands. I can pray for them, but there's no turning them away from the course of self-destruction apart from some intervention in their mean little lives.

MM

CN, that one pesky little verse in Psalm is what helped me to understand the distinction among those who have and are walking the path of evil.

Psalm 5:5 The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity.

Therein is the distinction for our understanding. Those who fell into a sin, they are those whom we can pull from the fire.

Beyond that are the actual workers of iniquity, doing evil and teaching others do to likewise, and who establish laws and policies along that line. It is they whom I leave in the devil's hands. I can pray for them, but there's no turning them away from the course of self-destruction apart from some intervention in their mean little lives.

MM
Yes, there are those who justify and flaunt their sin and those who feel and confess it.
Professing religion seems to latch on to the former, whereas those possessing Christ do the latter not out of religious duty but out of a live conviction from the indwelling Holy Spirit.

MM
Amen! I totally agree!! :)

Back