The direction of CCM music

I used to be a worship leader and to use most songs, I needed a license. However, this was 20 years ago. Things may have changed.
honestly i had no idea . i dont feel it is right to charge for a church to use music . granted some churches are big business and some musicians are greedy

I suppose if music is in public domain or creative commons you don't need to pay royalties or licenses.
50 years after the composer/artist has died maybe? Just so the artist is compensated for their original work..they need to make a living too.

I don't know how that works for a corporate outfit though. ?! Once you have a recording studio you don't need to keep paying them for ongoing maintainence I would think. The music business/industry is a strange beast. I don't know how much different CCM is from the music business model. Is it just one label, or a genre, or what.

Do they operate like Motown, or Nashville, or Tin Pan Alley where they just had musicians and composers demo new songs all the time and get anyone to record them? Is there like a catalogue of songs you can choose from? Is there like a Christian spotify or i-tunes? I have no idea.

I used to be a worship leader and to use most songs, I needed a license. However, this was 20 years ago. Things may have changed.

As Oblio was sharing, CCLI - Christian Copyright Licensing International is a license our church has an account with. Our library of songs displays the copyright, song#, publisher and artist and is displayed on the projector screen. Our paid annual fee and license helps support the ministry musicians, their copyright and (royalties allocated by CCLI and distributed to the artists.)

I suppose if music is in public domain or creative commons you don't need to pay royalties or licenses.
50 years after the composer/artist has died maybe? Just so the artist is compensated for their original work..they need to make a living too.

I don't know how that works for a corporate outfit though. ?! Once you have a recording studio you don't need to keep paying them for ongoing maintainence I would think. The music business/industry is a strange beast. I don't know how much different CCM is from the music business model. Is it just one label, or a genre, or what.

Do they operate like Motown, or Nashville, or Tin Pan Alley where they just had musicians and composers demo new songs all the time and get anyone to record them? Is there like a catalogue of songs you can choose from? Is there like a Christian spotify or i-tunes? I have no idea.

Lanolin,

For public domain I don't know whether they get paid royalties but when we display these songs it still has the copyright info.

Lanolin,

For public domain I don't know whether they get paid royalties but when we display these songs it still has the copyright info.
If the artist is long dead it would be the publishers who get a cut from republishing the work..and they often publish it in different 'versions' or mixes.
When we quote from Bibles we do have to say what version it is. KJV, NASB, CEV etc. But that's kind of different..more as a reference. But you might want to know if a song is a new version or an old one.
Eg. I think there's two different versions of Amazing Grace - traditional and modern that has extra verses and a bit different composition.

If the artist is long dead it would be the publishers who get a cut from republishing the work..and they often publish it in different 'versions' or mixes.
When we quote from Bibles we do have to say what version it is. KJV, NASB, CEV etc. But that's kind of different..more as a reference. But you might want to know if a song is a new version or an old one.
Eg. I think there's two different versions of Amazing Grace - traditional and modern that has extra verses and a bit different composition.

I don't mean to get off topic re CCM but what you are sharing, would this be along the same lines of public domain for a published book?

I don't mean to get off topic re CCM but what you are sharing, would this be along the same lines of public domain for a published book?
yes
although 'creative commons' is the term for art people share, vs copyright or intellectual property just to protect the rights of the author who doesn't want their work plagiarised.

There's something similar going on with patents for seeds. Big thing about corporate evil giants like Monsanto having a monopoly on certain breeds of seed. They can make a lot of money off it and stop farmers from growing their own. I think it stifles diversity/creativity when it all ends up being the same same.

I'm guess that is why much of CCM to me is bland. If churches didn't use others music and had to actually come up with their own songs then it would be kind of neat. Though never have I heard of anything remotely resembling a musical workshop in church where you can actually learn to play music. Most on the worship team just want people who can already play...and I've never heard of a worship leader say, well we wrote/created this ourselves!

yes
although 'creative commons' is the term for art people share, vs copyright or intellectual property just to protect the rights of the author who doesn't want their work plagiarised.

There's something similar going on with patents for seeds. Big thing about corporate evil giants like Monsanto having a monopoly on certain breeds of seed. They can make a lot of money off it and stop farmers from growing their own. I think it stifles diversity/creativity when it all ends up being the same same.

I'm guess that is why much of CCM to me is bland. If churches didn't use others music and had to actually come up with their own songs then it would be kind of neat. Though never have I heard of anything remotely resembling a musical workshop in church where you can actually learn to play music. Most on the worship team just want people who can already play...and I've never heard of a worship leader say, well we wrote/created this ourselves!

Hi Lanolin;

Thank you for the explanation. There are so many different views about CCM because it is a ministry of it's own in the church, a handful or large assembly of musicians, serving with different personalities week after week, musicians can have moods because they are still creative artists, while trying to remain within the body of the church.

The music ministry is not an easy task but when God takes charge, it's a wonderful service of praise and worship.

Music styles come into favor and often fade, only to return again.

Many traditional hymns sung 50 years ago have fallen out of favor.

Consider
"A Mighty Fortress is our God"
or
"Onward Christian Soldiers"
or
When they wanted to mix U.S. patriotism with faith: "The Battle Hymn of the Republic"

These often were sung to full volume organ ( pull out all the organ stops or pound the piano hard) and got the congregation as charged as any ccm song does today.

Such songs with military imagery have fallen from being traditional favorites. It is precisely that they use that warlike imagery that makes many feel uneasy.

A pastor at a church I was attending a few years ago said there are no inherently evil songs, only evil lyrics.

If the current ccm songs engender faith and Christian Joy, they should not worry that an old stick_in_the_mud (me) would rather sing an old faithful hymn.

It's is good if a group has an articulate worship leader, so that worship is not just a string of songs. These segues can be worked out with the pastor, or even written by him, to help the group focus on a topic.

I was in a 'edge' church once that went some 20 minutes on a song with only 2 lines. It was absolutely mind-numbing. The 'content' of the song was reduced to the catchy rythm, which is completely misleading to most Christians.

For me, being led by the Holy Spirit is what matters. He knows what our individual needs are.
There may be spiritual realities that need to be dealt with in a certain way that most are not aware of. When the Lord is leading, people know...just like they know when He's not.
Also, a sincere worship leader doesn't always get it right. Leadership will deal with this, if necessary. I wouldn't like to see grace extinguished by someone else's abuse.

Back