The direction of CCM music

I have to say this song is one that tapped into most of the historic beliefs of Christian faith. It is utterly different from Daigle jazzing about 'Christ being in control even when we don't think He is.' Maybe that's why Daigle's songs have to find the catchiest tune; they can't really draw on doctrinal strength.

Another strange thing that can happen was Enya's version of 'How Can I Keep From Singing?' This was about the mistreatment of Christians by the state churches of Europe, and she turned it into a social justice piece, and changed 'since Christ is Lord of heaven and earth ' to 'since love...'

A project for a video creator: take the theme "The Execution Bannockburn" from BRAVEHEART, and edit together several depictions of Christ's resurrection so that they climax together with the song! No warrior deserved higher honor than Christ!
Warrior King and yet so gentle! We lay our crowns down at Your feet!

Most churches have maybe about 5-6 songs being sung in a service.
I remember one church, heavily into Hillsong, would sometimes repeat songs, even 3 times in one service!
I was never in their worship band, but I do know the set list was always - a fast song, a slower song, a fast song, a slow song and benediction.

I once visited a very traditonal 'old school' church, and they sung out of hymnbooks. They'd say song number 113! Then everyone would turn to that one. Then song number 46! And everyone would turn to that one.

In most churches, just like in school, an overhead projector or power point would have the song words. It wasn't like karaoke, but it was close enough, and if there were no musicians available, everyone would sing to a pre-recorded song.

Sometimes it seemed like the musicians really wanted to take over, and they'd start telling little stories before they introduced songs. And maybe even little jokes.

After years of this I thought was a nice change to experience a Quaker meeting where there is no songs or music and everyone just sits in worshipful silence. I don't think quakers are boring, there are even Quaker musicians, but they do their music outside of the worship meeting.

After years of this I thought was a nice change to experience a Quaker meeting where there is no songs or music and everyone just sits in worshipful silence. I don't think quakers are boring, there are even Quaker musicians, but they do their music outside of the worship meeting.
You’re right, the Quaker fellow on my oatmeal box doesn’t sing…

09128E6F-EF9A-4AC1-8A4A-A5BBCB377B9A.jpeg

Its not a new problem. I grew up in The Salvation Army and remember reading quote by William Booth saying "Why should the devil have all the good music"? or something like that. And that was in regards to brass bands back in the 1800's.

While I agree that some Worship Bands, look and feel more like rock stars and can feel very "worldly", a lot will depend on the specific location, timing, focus, and heart of the 'worshiper(s)'... I'm not much of a singing/dancing worshiper in public, at the best of times, but will pour my heart out before the Lord in my own way. I might do this while laying down, listening to music, working around the house, or even while driving.

I like older music from Keith Green and Don Fransisco (that's old in my book, and I'm in my 50's) , as well as more modern music like Casting Crowns, Sidewalk Prophets, MercyMe, Chris Tomlin, for King & Country, etc. I'm not really up-to-date with some of the current stuff.

I don't understand some of the words in old hymns (any more than I like reading the KJV ;)), but that's just my experience: let the flame wars begin! :)

Again, to me, it all depends on where your heart is focused as a worshiper. The pendulum can swing too far in both directions.

We are not all the same and I don't think God ever intended us to be like penguins. U N I T Y - does not equal - UNIFORMITY

We should be free to worship, with open hands, a contrite heart and a clear conscience. I am confident the Lord is pleased with such worship.

We are not all the same and I don't think God ever intended us to be like penguins. U N I T Y - does not equal - UNIFORMITY

We should be free to worship, with open hands, a contrite heart and a clear conscience. I am confident the Lord is pleased with such worship.
It's just in corporate worship I have a hard time joining in with the 'touch me', 'feel me', 'breathe on me', 'Jesus is my boyfriend' etc. lyrics.

Last edited:
It's just in corporate worship I have a hard time joining in with the 'touch me', 'feel me', 'breathe on me', 'Jesus is my boyfriend' lyrics.
I agree. I'm not particularly comfortable in that kind of service either. However, we are all different, and ultimately worship is between the worshiper(s) and the Lord. My wife is much more 'free' in worship than I am. After 35 years of marriage, I can confidently say she loves the Lord passionately.

While it is perfectly reasonable to be cautious, even a little suspicious (humanly speaking), we should also be careful not to put God in a box. I'm a computer tech guy. If I listened to my logical brain all the time, I would have missed out on some absolutely amazing experiences along the way. As a pastor and leader, I learned (sometimes the hard way) to let God be God. He is better at than me. ;)

I agree. I'm not particularly comfortable in that kind of service either. However, we are all different, and ultimately worship is between the worshiper(s) and the Lord. My wife is much more 'free' in worship than I am. After 35 years of marriage, I can confidently say she loves the Lord passionately.

While it is perfectly reasonable to be cautious, even a little suspicious (humanly speaking), we should also be careful not to put God in a box. I'm a computer tech guy. If I listened to my logical brain all the time, I would have missed out on some absolutely amazing experiences along the way. As a pastor and leader, I learned (sometimes the hard way) to let God be God. He is better at than me. ;)
My point was that no matter how open we are to be in worship (I have been in churches where we danced for an hour or so) I can't go 'sensual' in worship. Some are so 'open' that they end up with chaos, confusion and calamity. It is a blessing to no one except those who want to stoke their egos.

Every age and stage has a different ear or appreciation for music.
Some are deaf so they can't actually hear Mariah Carey's high notes, so it doesn't really bother them.
Others can only move or feel the temp when there is a beat.
And others need melody and harmony.

I have forgotten much of what I learned when I was studying music but music can also be emotional and singing without feeling i.e with all your heart it then just becomes a vocal exercise.
If you can't sing...you can always hum or whistle

My point was that no matter how open we are to be in worship (I have been in churches where we danced for an hour or so) I can't go 'sensual' in worship. Some are so 'open' that they end up with chaos, confusion and calamity. It is a blessing to no one except those who want to stoke their egos.
Again, we agree.

Since the very beginning, our enemy, the father of lies, has sought to bring deception and chaos. So much of what goes on in some churches, in Christian families, and in our communities is simply an elaborate distraction. The devil attempts to deceive and distract: he will try to turn our focus away from our heavenly Father, and get us to be 'me' centered, or critical of that horrible person in front, or behind.... :eek:

We need to use wisdom, while at the same time being careful not to quench the Spirit.

that is flesh not spirit

Back