Six Horrid Lies From the World

Acts 17:10-11
10 And the brethren immediately sent away Paul and Silas by night unto Berea: who coming [thither] went into the synagogue of the Jews.
11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

Paul was speaking of the Jewish believers in the Berean synagogue, which I hope will be what characterizes YOUR beliefs in this life, in that you check everything you hear taught as doctrine since you alone will be held responsible for what you choose to believe in this life.

This world is filled with lies, but among some of the most popular and deadly are these:

1) The universe is a cosmic accident.

What this means is that many think that everything came about by mere chance. Another recent, and yet popular lie along this line is that, because there are laws such as gravity, the universe HAD to create itself...

Yep, you read that correctly. Dawkins spouted that bit of nonsense that is now parroted by many a modern atheist today. As silly and uneducated as that observation is, because someone with letters attached to his name spouted it outwardly through his bilge, many in the masses ran with it and try using it as an intellectual gold mine of words when, in fact, it is utter nonsense!

2) People are basically good...

Those who parrot that mantra will sheepishly admit that nobody is perfect, then turn right around and speak out the other side of their mouths by claiming that 'People are basically good,' which is nothing but a feeble attempt at minimizing the depravity of the human heart!

3) God won't punish humanity since He is such a loving God.

Parents who withheld the rod of correction from their children have/are/will experience the fallacy of this belief. Those who believe God won't punish sin in this life have no concept of what true love really is all about. The liberal god is one who they have invented in their own minds, with some of them even claiming the Bible itself teaches what they believe along this line, although I can find such in the historic Bible I read!

4) There are many paths to Heaven.

Oprah helped to solidify this devilish belief and even asked a woman in her audience, who openly and verbally protested this belief, by asking her, "How dare you say that there is only one way to God, and that Jesus is the ONLY way!" The majority in that audience applauding Oprah for that chastisement only gave ample evidence for what the majority in the world today believe of those who think they are spiritual and claim to believe in God...although we can't really nail down which god they actually believe in other than to say that it is a god of man's own invention!

5) One is saved by way of the sinner's prayer.

Again, the Bible I read doesn't have any such thing as that popular prayer.

John 3:3,7
3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. ...
7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

1 Peter 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

I have yet to hear one "sinner's prayer" that reflects one being down-cast before the Lord for the new birth that only He can effect. This is one hot button issue that some may indeed try to argue for on the other side, but suffice it to say that what Christ Jesus said as quoted here, He alone has given to us what truly is necessary for salvation, which is a gift, not of works or incantations of words.

6) God desires that all true Christians never suffer, but to be healthy and wealthy.

As one reads the word of God, he or she is struck by the stark contrast in reality between this item and what's actually stated in scripture, and how things really pan out in life. Those who teach such have not taken to heart the suffering of so many throughout the word of God, and even where the Lord promised persecution to many on the basis of their faith in Him and because the world first hated the Lord Most High.

I'm not one to ever trample underfoot the many lives of those who were living in poverty, and even burned at the stake for their testimony of Christ Jesus, and even daring to put the word of God into the hands of the common people. Their health was greatly affected by the flames of persecution, and the subsequent confiscation of whatever wealth they may have had, it remained here to burn with the rest of this earth, which is true of us all.

I also don't want to be counted among those who hear from the Lord, "What you had in wealth on the earth, that is the extent of any reward you will ever have in eternity. You already had your reward for the deeds done in the flesh. You have no riches in reward here."

MM

Nobody wants to be damned. Everybody wants to be saved but Jesus is quite clear that many who claim salvation in his name will have the door slammed in their face.

Nobody wants to be damned. Everybody wants to be saved but Jesus is quite clear that many who claim salvation in his name will have the door slammed in their face.

I hope you don't mind my providing scripture that enlightens us all on the fact that not all want to be saved:

Ezekiel 3:18-19
18 When I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; and thou givest him not warning, nor speakest to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life; the same wicked [man] shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand.

Very dire consequences for us not warning the wicked.

19 Yet if thou warn the wicked, and he turn not from his wickedness, nor from his wicked way, he shall die in his iniquity; but thou hast delivered thy soul.

Revelation 9:20-21
20 And the rest of the men which were not killed by these plagues yet repented not of the works of their hands, that they should not worship devils, and idols of gold, and silver, and brass, and stone, and of wood: which neither can see, nor hear, nor walk:
21 Neither repented they of their murders, nor of their sorceries, nor of their fornication, nor of their thefts.

Men's refusal to repent (change of mind, and therefore to abandon sinful things) is indeed prevalent throughout all of man's history, and therefore nothing new in the tribulation. If they wanted to be saved, then repentance would have filled their hearts, but salvation from the pleasures of the things they wanted wasn't at all a part of their desires.

Then there are the MANY out there who DO want salvation, but only their own terms rather than that of the Lord through Christ Jesus. Point #4 in the OP of this thread gets that across very nicely.

So, those who intentionally think that they will party and rule in Hell, knowingly living lives of rebellion against God and say to someone they're about to murder, "I'll see you in Hell," they know...deep down, they know. In this life, we are ALL living in the Lord's presence, for it all throughout this creation, but in Hell, that is where the vacuum of the Lord's presence will be experienced most acutely, which will be a tormenting hole in the hearts of all who are in that place because the Lord created us all with the deep-seated need for His presence to fulfill life in us in a way that the absence of His presence is worse than ceasing to exist.

MM

Good morning, Musicmaster;

Six Horrid Lies From the World stuck a nerve with me so this is how I combat these and how every Christian should learn from studying their Bible.

I know who God is, I read about Him every day and without a doubt I believe! I don't know who Richard Dawkins is as well as the others who put so much education, time and effort in their celebratory presentations to disprove our Creator. They better be right because in the end the Truth will be an eye opener when they have to give an account to God who knows, sees and hears everyone.

2) People are basically good...

People are not perfect, only God is. I'm not going to get into the theological definitive of the term good. I do believe we all have the potential to be good in heart to one another and to ourselves. I have witnessed this first hand as a minister in the recovery program which includes homelessness, prison, dysfunctional families, dependency, etc...People's lives turned around toward their families, loved ones and their faith. Question is, do we just arrive at a good of heart only? No. We must graduate to a relationship with Jesus so He can take our character to the next level of glorifying Him.

3) God won't punish humanity since He is such a loving God.

That punk the devil has to do his thing and put this deception into the minds of people who like to "be up front and preach the untruth." God sees the heart of sinners and the problem is, many want Heaven but they don't want to give up their sin. God cannot condone sin and if we put on our Bible study hats, we understand why He is such a loving God that hates sin.

4) There are many paths to Heaven.

Oprah is a coward, to bravely and safely rebuke a Christian in front of her audience. God was watching that day and will remember his faithful daughter who spoke for Christ on national TV. Oprah is another who once had humble beginnings. She had a low self esteem because she was overweight on TV and went into overtime to lose all that weight but she also lost her faith, integrity and started blowing trumpets to her audience by televising untruths.

5) One is saved by way of the sinner's prayer.

There is not a sinner's prayer in the Bible. It's a very personal prayer of acceptance directly to Jesus that includes repentance. It comes from the heart and lips of the person confessing Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. It's a beautiful witness when I have done the prayer of acceptance with those who repented of their sins and accepted Christ into their life.

6) God desires that all true Christians never suffer, but to be healthy and wealthy.

This is another untruth preached on the stage. The ol' "name it and claim" in the Christian faith. The problem is, what does God say about it, first? One of the charismatic faiths practices this but were granted their health and wealth on credit. After praising God for "blessing" them, not long after they foreclosed their home, their cars were repossessed, gave up taking their meds causing their health to deteriorate. One of my closest brother in Christ named it and claimed good health and stopped taking insulin announcing he was healed. A year later he died a young death in his 50's. He left behind a wife and two sons. It was tough because I officiated his funeral.

God bless you, MM.

What other name can we claim to be saved?

Acts 4:12 CSB
There is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to people by which we must be saved."

What other name can we claim to be saved?

My point, simply, is many who call Jesus Lord and think they are saved, may not be.

“Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to. Once the owner of the house gets up and closes the door, you will stand outside knocking and pleading, ‘Sir, open the door for us.’ “But he will answer, ‘I don’t know you or where you come from.’ (Luke 13:24-25 NIV)

It pains me when people claim salvation when no one that still lives can know for certain that salvation is theirs.

Good morning, Musicmaster;

Six Horrid Lies From the World stuck a nerve with me so this is how I combat these and how every Christian should learn from studying their Bible.

I know who God is, I read about Him every day and without a doubt I believe! I don't know who Richard Dawkins is as well as the others who put so much education, time and effort in their celebratory presentations to disprove our Creator. They better be right because in the end the Truth will be an eye opener when they have to give an account to God who knows, sees and hears everyone.

Well, I will use this video to introduce to you Dawkins and how irrational he is as a scientist. Now, granted, Dr. John Lennox is right, in that the claim to science is rational...or, rather, ALL science is rational, that is a self-defeating claim:

I would claim I know for certain that salvation is mine...but not because of my righteousness or any thing in me, but solely on the imputed righteousness of Jesus Christ and the veracity of Holy Scripture.
And I would stand next to you and claim the very same thing. Salvation is not something that we can earn or achieve or buy sell or trade.
It is a gift that is provided by God through faith in Jesus Christ.

1 John 5:5....
"Who is he who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?"

The Bible says “A three-fold cord is not easily broken” in Eccel. 4:12 and the source of our certainty of salvation is a cord of three strands:
1. the atoning work of the blood of Christ
2. the abiding witness of the Spirit
3. the affirming Word of the Father

Good morning, Major;

Your post caught my attention. Please elaborate.

God bless you, Major.
Original op's post was.......
"This world is filled with lies, but among some of the most popular and deadly are these:" ....Then he listed 6.

Crossnote then posted in the 2nd post.
7. One gains entrance into heaven by being good enough.

Then I posted......."#8, There Is No Hell".

Original op's post was.......
"This world is filled with lies, but among some of the most popular and deadly are these:" ....Then he listed 6.

Crossnote then posted in the 2nd post.
7. One gains entrance into heaven by being good enough.

Then I posted......."#8, There Is No Hell".

When crossnote posted, 7. One gains entrance into heaven by being good enough.

Then your response in #8 is There Is No Hell" complemented #7?

Back