Seniors and Actively Working Medical Benefits?

bobinfaith

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Hello brothers and sisters;

May I ask what kind of medical / dental benefits are you and your family receiving?

Before we signed up for Medicare Plan A and B I was overwhelmed by the TV commercials offering Medicare and their savings for signing up. Then I found out these were not the central government but private companies that offer their version of Medicare.

Confusing?

For me it was at first. Now the commercials suggest we check our Medicare and other medical benefits annually.

My wife who specialized in medical and workers compensation insurance did the homework before we set up our Medicare Plan A and Plan B (social security). We are also blessed by retirement medical and dental through a former employer. We pay our portion of retirement insurance as well as Plan B. Still, we follow up with our coverage at year end.

I’m learning that active workers don’t always get the most current insurance info because the manager is not up to speed so the employee gets stuck with their plan until the next renewal period.

Those who are newly or long term retired don’t know where to inquire and those who don’t have insurance have to pay out of pocket.

How has your medical, Medicare Plan A and B experience benefited you and your family?

Hopefully this thread may help others with medical or dental insurance for those who are prayerfully seeking answers.

God bless everyone, and we are praying for your good health and God’s Great healing.

Health Insurance pays for our medical costs (or a proportion of it) but still need to pay a shortfall if its private.

Public health system is free. Get community services card and discounted doctors fees for GP visits.

Health insurance does not cover dental. There is no free dental care for anyone in nz over 18, and only emergency dental care for those on very low incomes. You basically have to give your eye teeth.

When people get older they pay so much more that many people just give up. If you making a claim, like you have a terminal diagnoses or something, make sure you have all your documents signed and witnessed and your proper names (you may have married and changed your name) otherwise it will be really hard to claim anything. My mum's going through that now.

My dad doesn't want to pay mine anymore (its a family one) so I may have nothing in the end if I don't pay my own. Insurance will pay for funeral costs which are likely to be very expensive with what funeral directors are charging.

Some employers offer insurance, but many don't. Its a joke if you work in schools they won't cover anything except counselling (3 free sessions) if if the job is so stressful you want to leave.
When I had a gardening job, they paid for mole checks and hearing checks. University paid for free eye exams.

I have Medicare A & B along with high option federal health insurance through my wife's former employment at the Dept of Commerce.
When you add up all the costs for Medicare B, and the federal plan, it comes at quite a cost.

But, I have recurring needs (I get ostomy bags, meds, and Dr visits, etc); not to mention that when I had my heart operation and again when my bladder removed and chemo, etc, that the high option federal health insurance really came through.

Prescriptions for my wife and I are costing more, with less and less options.

In my opinion selecting among the options has become more a matter of who will be making the decisions (it is certainly not me).

If medicare disallows (often for unfathomable reasons) a given expense then the federal insurance will not even look at it. So the 'sweet spot' if it can be called thus is for medicare to accept the claim, but reimburse zero dollars. Even there, the time required to have it reviewed makes it very difficult to keep track of what is pending and what has been decided.

In any case I am fortunate to have the care I get, but only wish I could make more of the decisions.

I do not really know, but I suspect that medicare just pays the cost of them making the decisions and actual costs are either born by private insurance or the patient. In the case of catastrophic illnesses it is a little different, but for most conditions, the result is that there is no incentive to keep costs down, since some plan (either Medicare or private insurance) ultimately pays.

I do know that the cost of ostomy bags is more a case of what cost has been approved by medicare than by normal cost of manufacture and distribution.

I have Medicare A & B along with high option federal health insurance through my wife's former employment at the Dept of Commerce. When you add up all the costs for Medicare B, and the federal plan, it comes at quite a cost. But, I have recurring needs (I get ostomy bags, meds, and Dr visits, etc); not to mention that when I had my heart operation and again when my bladder removed and chemo, etc, that the high option federal health insurance really came through. Prescriptions for my wife and I are costing more, with less and less options. In my opinion selecting among the options has become more a matter of who will be making the decisions (it is certainly not me). If medicare disallows (often for unfathomable reasons) a given expense then the federal insurance will not even look at it. So the 'sweet spot' if it can be called thus is for medicare to accept the claim, but reimburse zero dollars. Even there, the time required to have it reviewed makes it very difficult to keep track of what is pending and what has been decided. In any case I am fortunate to have the care I get, but only wish I could make more of the decisions. I do not really know, but I suspect that medicare just pays the cost of them making the decisions and actual costs are either born by private insurance or the patient. In the case of catastrophic illnesses it is a little different, but for most conditions, the result is that there is no incentive to keep costs down, since some plan (either Medicare or private insurance) ultimately pays. I do know that the cost of ostomy bags is more a case of what cost has been approved by medicare than by normal cost of manufacture and distribution.

Hello Siloam;

First, I hope your health is stable and you are doing well. What you shared by your experience is valuable for my wife, me and others.

I was surprised at the affordable amount of debit my wife and I were being charged for our portion of employer retirement medical benefit. She informed me at the end of November our rate would go up in January but that against our medical needs and dental is reasonable.

My concern is for many people who don't have any medical / dental or can't afford it. Is MediCal the only option?

Anybody's thoughts?

People who don't have medical just die sooner
People like to put a price on human beings worth.

Some people when faced with medical costs, surgery etc just go to crowdfund or givealittle or fundraise, parents do this for their children when they can't afford it.
Otherwise, hate to say it, but suicide. Some doctors may actually suggest this, I have known some to in a roundabout way do this to patients. If someone has insurance but can't work because they are so ill, one of the motives is to take their own life so their family can have their insurance and won't have to pay their medical costs.

The cost of living is often talked about to cover things like rent and food, but its not mentioned much about insurance as well.
It assumed if you are not rich you can't afford it and don't need it anyway, because your life isn't worth very much --you don't have any assets (some will take your home, if you have one, hence homelessness) sell your car, repossess any furniture you have.

If you are married, and you were given a wedding ring, you can sell that, a lot of people pawn jewellery.

The medical industry/pharmac isn't about to lower their prices for anyone. Its really only through goodwill and christian charity that we actually have free public hospitals.

In the UK they have NHS and in NZ we have Public hospitals. We have ACC (accident compensation) which is no fault. If you fall sick you can get seen but public you put on a waiting list, while private you need to pay but may get seen sooner (depends on the number of patients!)
I'm not sure what its like in the US.

Because nz has a lower population and a number of hospitals per capita you don't have to wait too long, and public health care is just as good as private. (same equipment, same medical professionals)
Its rest home care that is the big expense - for that you WILL need to sell your home. It can be NZ$1200+ a week? If you can't afford that there is some free schemes avialable but the quality of the rest home care may not be great or your first choice.

I am doing quite well. With minor considerations, conditions do not limit me much.

Regarding people that do not have healthcare..

Many catalogue based health related supplies are available if one has some kind of insurance that you cannot even get them to talk to you if you do not have insurance. The few that are available are very expensive and usually require payment at the time of ordering.
When I lived in Virginia I volunteered in a supply sharing organization (Kenny's Closet run through Mary Washington Hospital in association with United Ostomy associations of America and the America Cancer Society)

Ostomy support and Kenny's Closet (Note: this link points to a page that solicits donations. This in no way implies Christian Forum Site endorsement.

The point is that many chronic conditions have a local support group that can help and provide fellowship with others as well as supportive advice. Your doctor and/or local hospital are good places to ask bout them.

We have Medicare A, B and D, plus a supplemental health plan that kicks in once a deductible is met to to assist in those costs Medicare doesn’t cover completely.

And, like ALL insurance, it is expensive and is a total waste of money… unless you become ill and actually need it, then it is a brilliant choice.

The choices here in the USA for retirees are way too numerous and often the path to the best fit is difficult at best to discern.

I amassed a 2” thick notebook when I did my initial research for my wife and myself. At that time I was a manager for a major corporation and this type of investigation was part of my work, I was familiar with it, I was good at it, and I had easy access to experts to assist me when I needed help.

Now, a few years later, I feel much less comfortable and confident that I completely understand all the options and ramifications because things (the plans and options) change EVERY year.

I would like to see less plans, more clarity on benefits and costs and some real world breakdowns of costs to be better informed and more confident in making choices.

Take plan D for example, Drug or prescription costs. You can be certain that No two people are paying the same price for any particular prescription in the US. It is like airline tickets- there are many, many variables. This is because of different insurance plan costs, differing benefits, different retail markups and different deductibles.

Also, in my particular case, it is actually cheaper to NOT use my paid for insurance for my prescriptions, but to use one of the free discount Drug cards such as the Good Drugs card, AARP’s Optima card or the Single Care card. BUT … no one will tell you this… you must discover this on your own.

Argh! The health care system!

I have only briefly touched on this but this post is too long already so I will just add, God bless us all.

We have Medicare A, B and D, plus a supplemental health plan that kicks in once a deductible is met to to assist in those costs Medicare doesn’t cover completely. And, like ALL insurance, it is expensive and is a total waste of money… unless you become ill and actually need it, then it is a brilliant choice. Also, in my case, it is cheaper to NOT use insurance for prescriptions, but to use one of the free discount Drug cards such as the Good Drugs card, AARP’s Optima card or Single Care card. BUT … no one will tell you this… you must discover this on your own. Argh! The health care system! I have only briefly touched on this but this post is too long already so I will just add, God bless us all.

Hello blueskies;

Thank you for sharing some valuable information. I heard yesterday that more people, young and old are relying on social media advice, more than their personal doctors or medical administrators can provide.

For example, YouTube was mentioned as a valuable resource of information and medical advice so there is no need to visit the doctor and get hit with a co-pay.

Has our medical health plans gotten so convoluted and difficult to understand in these times that it's impossible to tear it all down, lacking experts who can come up with a new program?

If it's always about money and greed, then this is not new and I'm afraid we are helpless. It makes me wonder, how can we help those who don't have insurance, not just the USA but around the world?

Again, I'm grateful my wife and I are covered, but what about the others?

More to come...

I don't know how you can really help those without insurance other than offering to pay for the medical care they need. Maybe not all of it but some of it?

The other things you can't really put a price on is palliative care.

In countries with little to no healthcare/hospitals they have Mercy ships come visit and offer free care when they do. We can all offer basic first aid to someone and food and water, and a hug. Not all of us are doctors/nurses/medical practitioners, but a lot of christians ARE because that is their vocation and work in public healthcare because they believe healthcare is for everyone, not just those who can afford it or have insurance.

It's easier to care for children as thats offered mostly free to anyone under 18.

Before being the ambulance at the bottom of the cliff though is educating people on being healthy and fit, and not doing risky things or eating food that damages your health, or not smoking and drinking alcohol. The other is of health may be one thing but safety is also another part of it (preventing injury and harm) so I would say prayer is probably the most important thing you can do and laying on of hands, a lot of people just need a touch to say everything will be alright.

nobody wants to end up in hospital but sometimes its necessary. Good eating habits, sleep, and exercise are probably the best things you can do to prevent the sorts of chronic illnesses, though a lot of things caused by poverty and poor living standards often cant be helped, nor are diseases caused by overeating or just general unhealthy living that people choose (like drinking alcohol, eating junk food all the time, smoking, doing drugs, risky behaviours like going to war and getting your legs blown off) or living somewhere where the air is contaminated or working in an unsafe workplace. Employers generally want to keep their workers alive not have them injured or die on the job.

If you retired generally that is the time to take it easy and really look after yourself, unless you lucky enough to have children who will stay home to look after you. But do the things that are good for you and don't push yourself so hard. Enjoy it. Workaholics probably have the hardest time in retirement.

I don't know how you can really help those without insurance other than offering to pay for the medical care they need. Maybe not all of it but some of it?

The other things you can't really put a price on is palliative care.

In countries with little to no healthcare/hospitals they have Mercy ships come visit and offer free care when they do. We can all offer basic first aid to someone and food and water, and a hug. Not all of us are doctors/nurses/medical practitioners, but a lot of christians ARE because that is their vocation and work in public healthcare because they believe healthcare is for everyone, not just those who can afford it or have insurance.

It's easier to care for children as thats offered mostly free to anyone under 18.

Before being the ambulance at the bottom of the cliff though is educating people on being healthy and fit, and not doing risky things or eating food that damages your health, or not smoking and drinking alcohol. The other is of health may be one thing but safety is also another part of it (preventing injury and harm) so I would say prayer is probably the most important thing you can do and laying on of hands, a lot of people just need a touch to say everything will be alright.

nobody wants to end up in hospital but sometimes its necessary. Good eating habits, sleep, and exercise are probably the best things you can do to prevent the sorts of chronic illnesses, though a lot of things caused by poverty and poor living standards often cant be helped, nor are diseases caused by overeating or just general unhealthy living that people choose (like drinking alcohol, eating junk food all the time, smoking, doing drugs, risky behaviours like going to war and getting your legs blown off) or living somewhere where the air is contaminated or working in an unsafe workplace. Employers generally want to keep their workers alive not have them injured or die on the job.

If you retired generally that is the time to take it easy and really look after yourself, unless you lucky enough to have children who will stay home to look after you. But do the things that are good for you and don't push yourself so hard. Enjoy it. Workaholics probably have the hardest time in retirement.
On behalf of workaholics, I agree. My dad worked until around 87, but really had no reason to do so. He lived with us and had no bills to pay. It just gave him a sense of purpose.

I am the same way but have no plans on working to that age (I think). We have been on winter break since December 22nd and don't go back to work until January 8th. The wife is recovering from knee surgery, so we made to plans to do much of anything. For the first couple of days, I pretty much did nothing, but that has gotten old. Now I am doing about 2 - 4 hours of work during the day. Since I do not want to look like I am crazy, I am holding off on sending anyone e-mails or other tasks right now. All my work is on hold, until I send it off on the 8th:

pending.jpg

In my defense, however, I really enjoy what I do and sometimes I cannot tell the difference between work and pleasure. Right now, I am working on an analysis of about 849 lines of financial data. I find this so enjoyable that I actually have to force myself to stop and not do it all day long.

data.jpg

So, while I have around 3 years left before I do retire (only because I set a magical date), I just do not know if I will be able to just do nothing. The only thing I don't like is having to wake up at 5am to be at the office by 7am. On the other hand, today I woke up at 10am and felt like I had wasted part of the day.

I plan on doing nothing today but want to clean my office tomorrow and that will take a while. By tomorrow, I do plan on working a little longer and do what I can to start the new year slightly ahead of schedule.

Rtm

On behalf of workaholics, I agree. My dad worked until around 87, but really had no reason to do so. He lived with us and had no bills to pay. It just gave him a sense of purpose.

I am the same way but have no plans on working to that age (I think). We have been on winter break since December 22nd and don't go back to work until January 8th. The wife is recovering from knee surgery, so we made to plans to do much of anything. For the first couple of days, I pretty much did nothing, but that has gotten old. Now I am doing about 2 - 4 hours of work during the day. Since I do not want to look like I am crazy, I am holding off on sending anyone e-mails or other tasks right now. All my work is on hold, until I send it off on the 8th:

View attachment 10325

In my defense, however, I really enjoy what I do and sometimes I cannot tell the difference between work and pleasure. Right now, I am working on an analysis of about 849 lines of financial data. I find this so enjoyable that I actually have to force myself to stop and not do it all day long.

View attachment 10326

So, while I have around 3 years left before I do retire (only because I set a magical date), I just do not know if I will be able to just do nothing. The only thing I don't like is having to wake up at 5am to be at the office by 7am. On the other hand, today I woke up at 10am and felt like I had wasted part of the day.

I plan on doing nothing today but want to clean my office tomorrow and that will take a while. By tomorrow, I do plan on working a little longer and do what I can to start the new year slightly ahead of schedule.

Rtm

Hello Ray;

I would have enjoyed working with you and processing your expense reports with the kind of formula or information that you might have shared from your post.

When you plan to retire in 3 years make it a priority to enjoy not working for awhile. Look forward to sleeping in later and enjoy your cup of coffee in the morning with Mrs. rtm3039. Don't put a time schedule on anything at first.

After getting settled with retirement, men and women get restless, bored and have to get out there and do something. So many go back to work. My uncle who is 74, retired from a great sales career for a beer distributor but got restless so he became a shuttle driver for Enterprise. When he comes home he expresses how stressed and tired he is. His sons (my cousins) remind him, "Hey Dad, what are you talking about? You're retired! If you're stressed out, quit and enjoy your golden years!"

After 43 years of working, my wife officially retired in October 2022 and after working 44 years I retired. We were able to plan
"fun times" traveling within our budget, going to Saturday matinees at senior prices, and enjoy eating out.

I'm not saying after retiring going back to work is bad, of course not. Just remember that after 40 or 50 years of working, the dues have been paid so our golden years should be enjoyed with no constraints.

Before retiring we had to plan our retirement monies, liquid assets and a low debt ratio. We give the Lord the glory for all He provides and has done. So we have to be wise and maintain a budget to cover expenses like our monthly Medicare Plan B and medical retirement.

I know it'll all work out for you, brother.

God bless
you, Ray.

Hello Ray;

I would have enjoyed working with you and processing your expense reports with the kind of formula or information that you might have shared from your post.

When you plan to retire in 3 years make it a priority to enjoy not working for awhile. Look forward to sleeping in later and enjoy your cup of coffee in the morning with Mrs. rtm3039. Don't put a time schedule on anything at first.

After getting settled with retirement, men and women get restless, bored and have to get out there and do something. So many go back to work. My uncle who is 74, retired from a great sales career for a beer distributor but got restless so he became a shuttle driver for Enterprise. When he comes home he expresses how stressed and tired he is. His sons (my cousins) remind him, "Hey Dad, what are you talking about? You're retired! If you're stressed out, quit and enjoy your golden years!"

After 43 years of working, my wife officially retired in October 2022 and after working 44 years I retired. We were able to plan
"fun times" traveling within our budget, going to Saturday matinees at senior prices, and enjoy eating out.

I'm not saying after retiring going back to work is bad, of course not. Just remember that after 40 or 50 years of working, the dues have been paid so our golden years should be enjoyed with no constraints.

Before retiring we had to plan our retirement monies, liquid assets and a low debt ratio. We give the Lord the glory for all He provides and has done. So we have to be wise and maintain a budget to cover expenses like our monthly Medicare Plan B and medical retirement.

I know it'll all work out for you, brother.

God bless
you, Ray.
Thanks, Bob.

Technically, I initially retired on October 1, 2023. I was in my mid 40s, so I knew it was a short-term thing. I recall it lasted about 8 months. As for Mrs. rtm3039, she has a bit longer to go. She will need to work at least 7 more years than me. She is certified to teach in Tennessee, so she will transfer and work there. One of her brothers is an independent contractor, so I might hand out with him. If not, I can work as a PI or can start putting all my tools to use and build furniture. I'll have to find a new church but would not mind doing some volunteer work.

Hello brothers and sisters;

May I ask what kind of medical / dental benefits are you and your family receiving?

Before we signed up for Medicare Plan A and B I was overwhelmed by the TV commercials offering Medicare and their savings for signing up. Then I found out these were not the central government but private companies that offer their version of Medicare.

Confusing?

For me it was at first. Now the commercials suggest we check our Medicare and other medical benefits annually.

My wife who specialized in medical and workers compensation insurance did the homework before we set up our Medicare Plan A and Plan B (social security). We are also blessed by retirement medical and dental through a former employer. We pay our portion of retirement insurance as well as Plan B. Still, we follow up with our coverage at year end.

I’m learning that active workers don’t always get the most current insurance info because the manager is not up to speed so the employee gets stuck with their plan until the next renewal period.

Those who are newly or long term retired don’t know where to inquire and those who don’t have insurance have to pay out of pocket.

How has your medical, Medicare Plan A and B experience benefited you and your family?

Hopefully this thread may help others with medical or dental insurance for those who are prayerfully seeking answers.

God bless everyone, and we are praying for your good health and God’s Great healing.
My wife and I are using Medicare parts A & B for primary insurance together with Tricare for Life (military retirement healthcare). Whatever Medicare doesn't pay, Tricare picks up the remaining amounts so we have no out of pocket medical costs.

Hi. I'm not old enough foe Medicare, but that will change next year. Since I spend the majority of my adult like in the military, I am fairly clueless about this stuff. Fo the moment, we have both Tricare for Life (military) and Cigna (through work with the school district). I too have received a constant stream of marketing material on the subject.

I was told I needed to deal with the Medicare stuff prior to my 65th birthdate, so the wife will start to figure this out pretty soon.

Rtm

huh well Mum had an insurance claim that could pay her but not sure when she's getting that. It's not enough to pay for one treatment option.
She can't work in the workforce anymore and dad lost his motor tram licence for six months.

I have no idea what I will receive after 65 if I live that long. Not saying I won't, but in this world, what is guaranteed what with all the wars and pollution going on. I already can't find secure work. Schools are falling apart, and children don't even go to them anymore. They stay home or have to leave because THEY have to go to work, or they join gangs and get money illegally. Insurance isn't even on peoples radars. If you working on minimum wage, nobody is going to look after you.

military people get things paid for, but then they train you to do all sorts of stuff that maybe you don't want to do, I imagine being a soldier its just doing your duty to defend or fight for your country. You don't question it. They want to keep you fit and alive because an army of able bodies is better than an army of injured sick and wounded. However, because of modern age of machine and technological warfare, things are different and people can be expendable. It's basically what you can afford to pay to be looked after.

Sorry my train of thought..from perspective of younger generation looking after their parents. Being a caregiver is not easy and hospitals are stretched.

Last edited:
huh well Mum had an insurance claim that could pay her but not sure when she's getting that. It's not enough to pay for one treatment option.
She can't work in the workforce anymore and dad lost his motor tram licence for six months.

I have no idea what I will receive after 65 if I live that long. Not saying I won't, but in this world, what is guaranteed what with all the wars and pollution going on. I already can't find secure work. Schools are falling apart, and children don't even go to them anymore. They stay home or have to leave because THEY have to go to work, or they join gangs and get money illegally. Insurance isn't even on peoples radars. If you working on minimum wage, nobody is going to look after you.

military people get things paid for, but then they train you to do all sorts of stuff that maybe you don't want to do, I imagine being a soldier its just doing your duty to defend or fight for your country. You don't question it. They want to keep you fit and alive because an army of able bodies is better than an army of injured sick and wounded. However, because of modern age of machine and technological warfare, things are different and people can be expendable. It's basically what you can afford to pay to be looked after.

Sorry my train of thought..from perspective of younger generation looking after their parents. Being a caregiver is not easy and hospitals are stretched.
I tried looking at you all's retirement process, but, aside from the 65-year thing, the rest is a bit confusing. Our system is confusing too, as it depends on if you retire at 62, 66, or 70. Medical insurance is a whole other program. About the only thing that is clearer is that you know how much retirement you are going to get, as it is listed on-line for any point between 62 and 70.

The argument then becomes when to start. You can start at 62 and collect more payment months (assuming you live), but smaller monthly payments (there is a breakeven point). Most people look at retirement at 66, which is considered full retirement. You can also wait until you are 70, which pays the most per month but with a smaller number of months.

huh well Mum had an insurance claim that could pay her but not sure when she's getting that. It's not enough to pay for one treatment option. She can't work in the workforce anymore and dad lost his motor tram licence for six months. I have no idea what I will receive after 65 if I live that long. Not saying I won't, but in this world, what is guaranteed what with all the wars and pollution going on. I already can't find secure work. Schools are falling apart, and children don't even go to them anymore. They stay home or have to leave because THEY have to go to work, or they join gangs and get money illegally. Insurance isn't even on peoples radars. If you working on minimum wage, nobody is going to look after you. military people get things paid for, but then they train you to do all sorts of stuff that maybe you don't want to do, I imagine being a soldier its just doing your duty to defend or fight for your country. You don't question it. They want to keep you fit and alive because an army of able bodies is better than an army of injured sick and wounded. However, because of modern age of machine and technological warfare, things are different and people can be expendable. It's basically what you can afford to pay to be looked after. Sorry my train of thought..from perspective of younger generation looking after their parents. Being a caregiver is not easy and hospitals are stretched.

Hello Lanolin;

We pray daily for your Mum and today she is still standing. Praise the Lord! As far as what you will receive at retirement qualification for benefits, New Zealand is a prosperous nation.

I asked the same question back in my 30s because there were discouraging resources that said by the time I reached 65 I would not be able to receive social security / medicare in these United States. No more money.

Truth is, New Zealand and the USA are prosperous nations and highly developed. Please research the free market economy and you will see the figures. If the USA's social security or New Zealand's Superannuation runs out of money (in it's current benefit system) both countries will no doubt establish another developed system to care for it's citizens.

Both countries have "financial thinkers" within it's government that will not allow millions of New Zealanders and Americans to go hungry, homeless or lack medical care for responsible hard working citizens.

I have all the faith when you and I log on to Christian Forum Site in 2047 you will be setup for retirement. 😎👍!!!

God bless you, Lanolin.

Hello Lanolin;

We pray daily for your Mum and today she is still standing. Praise the Lord! As far as what you will receive at retirement qualification for benefits, New Zealand is a prosperous nation.

I asked the same question back in my 30s because there were discouraging resources that said by the time I reached 65 I would not be able to receive social security / medicare in these United States. No more money.

Truth is, New Zealand and the USA are prosperous nations and highly developed. Please research the free market economy and you will see the figures. If the USA's social security or New Zealand's Superannuation runs out of money (in it's current benefit system) both countries will no doubt establish another developed system to care for it's citizens.

Both countries have "financial thinkers" within it's government that will not allow millions of New Zealanders and Americans to go hungry, homeless or lack medical care for responsible hard working citizens.

I have all the faith when you and I log on to Christian Forum Site in 2047 you will be setup for retirement. 😎👍!!!

God bless you, Lanolin.
but heaps of people ARE now hungry and homeless!
We are not a prosperous nation, we are 790 billion $ in debt.
Young NZers now have to go overseas to find decent jobs. They have no home. The govt has no money to pay librarians. We can't do our jobs. How is that prosperous. Children can't read. They can barely write...and our homes are leaking and rotting thanks to floods. The govt has to buy out all the flood damaged properties. Homes being built now are very cheap and overcrowded slums. We can't fish in our harbour because its polluted. Our food is poisoned...people getting cancer from it.

I don't see it being prosperous. The rich people aren't hard working, they don't actually need to work, they are landlords who don't look after their properties just getting tenants money. I don't see them doing hard work. We had rogernomics in the 80s and Ruth Richardson sold off a lot of state assets so...most basic amenities are now user pays and many have to wait years and years for things to happen, eg safe roads put in, a playground by that time, children grown up and left the country. You can't just walk in and get a job anymore, you have to apply and beat out hundreds of other applicants. For a minimum wage job that isn't enough to cover the cost of living. If you too qualified, they don't want you either.

Anyway just wonder what planet some people living on....its paradise for the very few. So called development has ruined it..and forests destroyed..the logging of plantation pines meant that in the huge rain they just left it all on the hillsides and the landslips have ruined many farms, now owned by corporates. If we are $790 billion in debt then we are living way beyond our means.

Last edited:
Back