Question About Receiving The Holy Spirit

Discussion in 'Holy Spirit Baptism and Living' started by Jerry Shugart, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Boniface...If you cannot show me the "temporariness" of the infilling in the OT, just say so...

Now friend: You also " pick and chose what you want to answer" everyone does....One post you say one thing, and the next something that negatives the earlier post.

You said:
    I never said that or even implied that....I was concerned about your suggesting at first that:
    1)only kings, priests and prophets were filled, which I proved from the Bible as incorrect, and
    2) your idea it was only for a person,temporary, which you have yet attempted to prove.

I never said at any time that anything concerning the Holy Spirit was unimportant. That's your idea of what I said, not mine.

2. Participators please keep in mind our rule on the 'Holy Spirit Baptism and Living' forum.

This forum is not a place for debating the validity of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, the experience commonly called being "slain" in the Spirit, or the contemporary exercise of the gifts of the Spirit. This forum is for those who take these as a given and wish to encourage one another and build one another up without having to constantly defend their basic beliefs in this regard.

See: http://www.christianforumsite.com/threads/before-posting-please-read.33763/

Thanks.

3. Thanks Jeff...

Jeffin likes this.
  4. Matthew 9:15 And Jesus said unto them, Can the children of the bridechamber mourn, as long as the bridegroom is with them? but the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken from them, and then shall they fast. 16 No man putteth a piece of new cloth unto an old garment, for that which is put in to fill it up taketh from the garment, and the rent is made worse. 17 Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.

That's Jesus explaining why He had to leave in order for us to become new wineskin and thus able to hold the new wine forever whereas before, the disciples, the believers, and OT saints could not because Jesus was not yet glorified in having left them to prepare a place for any and all believers to be saved for Him to prepare that place for them in Heaven to live with God.

~~~~~

Editted per Mod reminder.... Sorry Jeff.

5. Dear Brother Rusty, there are many cases that prove that people were able to experience the HS for a short time in the OT, One of those is the King Saul who prohecised but we know that the Samuel eventually will says that he has been rejected, or what about David who cries for God to not take away his presence from Him and also Salomon who was empower with wisdom from God and wrote proverbs and Songs to just end Up worshiping Others god at the end of his life, Samson...I can go on and on, as I explained before the differences are that 1. The Holy Spirit has a different task that he had before just because we shifted covenant
    2. The HS can dwell in believer today forever because we were cleanses by the precious Blood of Jesus.
    You know what it's not good for us to debates things and be against each other like this, so if i have offended you in anyway I apologize, it's never been my intention as long as you believe in Justification by Faith, you are a brother of mine and look for to get to know you better (I mean it). Be Bless brother Amen!!!

dan in the lion's den likes this.
  6. Apology accepted, Boniface.My difficulties were with your back-peddling more than your ideas in general.

Not real harm done, and I never had any bad feelings.

Keep in mind: today's Christians can certainly lose the deeper connection with the Spirit just as easily as the OT people...did...:

One can so sorry the Spirit that they become numb to His communications.

And this is exactly what happened in OT times.

7. HOWEVER....you have not proved that the Tabernacle workman or Moses or Joshua or Elizabeth or her husband had a short experience..indeed you cannot..there's no record of that.So it is an unproven assumption.

The record is of those who fell from that special relationship: David, Solomon, Saul etc.

8. After having read this again more closely, I can see the confusion as to why the OP is asking this question.

I shall post in another part of the forum then since I am in total disagreement with that part, and I don't even understand what you mean by contemporary exercise part of the gifts of the Spirit either, but I'm not going to ask since one disagreement is enough.

9. John 16 is before the crucifixion and John 20 is after. So technically Jesus did go away when he died on the cross. Or maybe we don't fully understand this Holy Spirit thing to begin with....I mean after all Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit as well....so whats up with that??

10. In the same way that the God the Holy Spirit fell on all who it did in the OT. This was NOT the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.
    This is before the Baptism of the Holy Spirit as depicted in Acts 2:4.