Pray for the Peace of Jerusalem

crossnote

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Why did God say this...

Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: they shall prosper that love thee. Psalm 122:6 (KJV)

Since this is God's wish, I would take it that Jesus in His Office of Priesthood would also be 'praying for the Peace of Jerusalem'. I have a hard time believing that what Jesus prays for, Jesus doesn't get. I believe this hints at a wonderful future plan for Jerusalem which may include Israel.

Why did God say this...

Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: they shall prosper that love thee. Psalm 122:6 (KJV)

Since this is God's wish, I would take it that Jesus in His Office of Priesthood would also be 'praying for the Peace of Jerusalem'. I have a hard time believing that what Jesus prays for, Jesus doesn't get. I believe this hints at a wonderful future plan for Jerusalem which may include Israel.
I thought Jesus said it was HIS peace he gives people 'the peace that passes all understanding'.

But then he did say I come not to bring peace but the division (in Jerusalem). He also told people to flee from the capital and warned them the temple would collapse. Or no stone would be left.

When you think of it, Jesus did die in Jerusalem and it was HIS peace he gave people. Then everyone was told to spread the good news from Jersualem to Samaria and to the ends of the earth

I thought Jesus said it was HIS peace he gives people 'the peace that passes all understanding'.
John 14:27, Jesus was speaking to His disciples, not the general public in Jerusalem.

But then he did say I come not to bring peace but the division (in Jerusalem). He also told people to flee from the capital and warned them the temple would collapse. Or no stone would be left.
Yes, He also stated in great detail about the persecution which would befall them by the unbelieving Jews, which is all the more reason to pray for Jerusalem's peace.

When you think of it, Jesus did die in Jerusalem and it was HIS peace he gave people. Then everyone was told to spread the good news from Jersualem to Samaria and to the ends of the earth
I'm of the conviction that there will come a horrible time for the Jews in Jerusalem. As far as I can tell this has not been fulfilled...

Zechariah 12:3 (NASB) "It will come about in that day that I will make Jerusalem a heavy stone for all the peoples; all who lift it will be severely injured. And all the nations of the earth will be gathered against it.

Zechariah 14:2 (NASB) For I will gather all the nations against Jerusalem to battle, and the city will be captured, the houses plundered, the women ravished and half of the city exiled, but the rest of the people will not be cut off from the city.

Never in the history of the world have we seen all the nations come against Jerusalem. (one or two, yes ; all?, no)

John 14:27, Jesus was speaking to His disciples, not the general public in Jerusalem.

Yes, He also stated in great detail about the persecution which would befall them by the unbelieving Jews, which is all the more reason to pray for Jerusalem's peace.

I'm of the conviction that there will come a horrible time for the Jews in Jerusalem. As far as I can tell this has not been fulfilled...

Zechariah 12:3 (NASB) "It will come about in that day that I will make Jerusalem a heavy stone for all the peoples; all who lift it will be severely injured. And all the nations of the earth will be gathered against it.

Zechariah 14:2 (NASB) For I will gather all the nations against Jerusalem to battle, and the city will be captured, the houses plundered, the women ravished and half of the city exiled, but the rest of the people will not be cut off from the city.

Never in the history of the world have we seen all the nations come against Jerusalem. (one or two, yes ; all?, no)
I thought they did in AD 70 ..when the temple was destroyed some people kind of gloss over that and pretend it didn't happen.

All nations weren't gathered against Jerusalem to battle...only Rome. Reread the two passages again.
mmm wasn't Roman Empire taking over ALL the nations back then. They had governors everywhere all over the Mediterranean, Northern Africa and Asia they even reached as far as England.
Or what are you talking about.

Jersualem's got friends now. Didn't the British practically give Palestine over to the Jews.

mmm wasn't Roman Empire taking over ALL the nations back then. They had governors everywhere all over the Mediterranean, Northern Africa and Asia they even reached as far as England.
Or what are you talking about.

Jersualem's got friends now. Didn't the British practically give Palestine over to the Jews.
Goyim (pl.), "all people of the earth will be gathered against it" Zech 12:3. (NASB)

Although the Roman Empire was extensive it didn't cover all the earth. (e.g. China, the Americas etc.)
Besides it's questionable to put Rome in place of all peoples.

Jerusalem has friends now, but looking at human history 'friends' are fickle. e.g. Iran 1979.

There is a new jerusalem
Just wondering if this will be to replace the old one?
Yes, after a new heavens and earth...

Revelation 21:1-2 (NASB) Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth passed away, and there is no longer any sea. And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, made ready as a bride adorned for her husband.

Goyim (pl.), "all people of the earth will be gathered against it" Zech 12:3. (NASB)

Although the Roman Empire was extensive it didn't cover all the earth. (e.g. China, the Americas etc.)
Besides it's questionable to put Rome in place of all peoples.

Jerusalem has friends now, but looking at human history 'friends' are fickle. e.g. Iran 1979.
they probably just said that as a catch-all for All gentiles. i.e non Hebrew people. But not even non Hebrews non Jewish people...i.e those not in the tribe of Judah. As only Judah had claim to Jerusalem.

You seem to get riled up over a technicality, I can point out loopholes in your technicalities too.

they probably just said that as a catch-all for All gentiles. i.e non Hebrew people. But not even non Hebrews non Jewish people...i.e those not in the tribe of Judah. As only Judah had claim to Jerusalem.

You seem to get riled up over a technicality, I can point out loopholes in your technicalities too.
"all people of the earth will be gathered against it" Zech 12:3. may be a technicality in your way of thinking but no different than trying to squeeze the prophetic events to fit a Preterist 70 AD viewpoint in my way of thinking. It's like trying to squeeze a size 8 shoe onto a size 12 foot.

Recall that the kingdom was split into House of Judah and House of Israel..they were rival brothers.
Not sure how that applies?

Ezekiel 37:19 (KJV) Say unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I will take the stick of Joseph, which is in the hand of Ephraim, and the tribes of Israel his fellows, and will put them with him, even with the stick of Judah, and make them one stick, and they shall be one in mine hand.

Not sure how that applies?

Ezekiel 37:19 (KJV) Say unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I will take the stick of Joseph, which is in the hand of Ephraim, and the tribes of Israel his fellows, and will put them with him, even with the stick of Judah, and make them one stick, and they shall be one in mine hand.
Well you gotta read the whole of Zechariah not just one or two verses, and also all of Ezekiel.

It's like doing a jigsaw puzzle of 1000 pieces and you are looking at just two and thinking how do they fit together!

"all people of the earth will be gathered against it" Zech 12:3. may be a technicality in your way of thinking but no different than trying to squeeze the prophetic events to fit a Preterist 70 AD viewpoint in my way of thinking. It's like trying to squeeze a size 8 shoe onto a size 12 foot.
you got the wrong sizing there because there's different standards of sizing for shoes as well.

So its the same but you are probably looking at american imperial measurements (with NASB) while I look at perhaps metric (KJV)

Thats why it's making sense to you but not to me.
While mine makes sense to me but not to you.

Why did God say this...

YES.

Israel is THE focus of the End Times!

First, the seven-year Tribulation described in Revelation includes a time when Israel already exists as a nation and builds a future temple. For nearly 1,900 years, Israel did not exist as a nation, yet in 1948 the modern nation of Israel was born in a single day. This event marks a significant precursor to God's plans for the future.

Second, a Jewish temple will exist in Jerusalem by the midpoint of the seven-year Tribulation period. This temple does not exist today, yet the Temple Institute in Jerusalem has plans that could make the construction of this facility take place quickly once given access to the location that is currently under Muslim control.

Ezekiel 38
predicts a war of nations that will align and attack Israel in the last days. God Himself will provide a supernatural victory for Israel. Though many debate when this event will take place, it appears to occur sometime after the Rapture and prior to the midpoint of the Tribulation.

Back