New Zealand

This is a thread about New Zealand.

If you are not interested, make your own thread.

I once met an Australian on a backpacking tour of the UK and said he could come to NZ and work in 'The outback' theme pub as the Australian, and he wouldn't really need a costume. Most pubs seem to be parodies of other, more exotic places because the reality of a NZ pub is that nothing like that exists, it's a just a trough full of beer for when we had the old 'six o'clock swill' regulation. Otherwise, Nzers don't really bother going out to pubs at all. They get their liquor from the bottle shops and drink it at home in front of their children....otherwise they'd have to leave the kids in the car while they are hanging out in the pub.

It's like the British girls who work as Moulin Rouge dancers who pretend to be French for the British tourists because no respectable French girl would REALLY want to work in the Moulin Rouge.
I did a Google search for New Zealand restaurants near me and found none. Miami's greatest influence is Caribbean (heavy on Cuban) and South American, with the usual mix of Greek, Chinese, Indian, and Italian. The Outback appears to be the closest.

What does NZ have that is unique in the food department?

Our American restaurants all seem to be Texan... there's the LoneStar restaurant, Texas Chicken, Tex Mex, etc. I am not sure if in Texas they have NZ theme restaurants as some kind of cultural exchange. But I do know New Zealand Naturals is like an ice cream stand that's somehow been exported overseas. Along with kiwifruit. I think it is kind of bizarre but I do wonder now where all our exports are ending up.

I did a Google search for New Zealand restaurants near me and found none. Miami's greatest influence is Caribbean (heavy on Cuban) and South American, with the usual mix of Greek, Chinese, Indian, and Italian. The Outback appears to be the closest.
What does NZ have that is unique in the food department?

The LoneStar restaurant, Texas Chicken, Tex Mex, are just a few on the list over here. We have so many authentic restaurants in the SF Bay Area. There are no New Zealand "name" restaurants that I know of but we do have restaurants that offer New Zealand dishes like

Pyes - Butter Chicken Pie
Bangers and Mash
Crispy Brussel Sprout Chips
Roast Maine Lobster

The food is delicious and the word Kiwi is mentioned in the New Zealand menus.

New Zealand seafood is unique

Paua
Whitebait
Rock lobster (crayfish)
Snapper
Salmon (this is now farmed)
Blue cod
Greenlip mussels
Bluff oysters

though it probably isn't exported much to the US..more Japan.

The US might have our..
lamb
butter
cheese
powdered milk
kiwifruit

Bobinfath the dishes you mentioned are not NZ dishes. They just seem generic versions of things British people eat. I don't know ANYONE who eats brussel sprouts, much less at a restaurant!

The traditional NZ meal is roast lamb, with mint peas and potatoes
For maori it would be hangi, which is an earth oven. They only do that for special occasions now as it takes hours to cook.

Some more nz export products...

Manuka Honey
Lanolin (!)
Wool for carpets
Swandri
Macpac
Fisher and Paykel appliances - dish drawer
Jandals
Pine logs - I don't know where all these pine logs end up. Not all are fed to paper mills in nz.

Some more nz export products...

Manuka Honey
Lanolin (!)
Wool for carpets
Swandri
Macpac
Fisher and Paykel appliances - dish drawer
Jandals
Pine logs - I don't know where all these pine logs end up. Not all are fed to paper mills in nz.
I have no idea what any of those things are..except mybe wool for carpets.
* que twilight music*….

First off…What the heck is a jandal?

Lol

You guys are wel out there😊

Because you guys are wierd…

Your at the other end of the earth.

That’s enough to say we know things we don’t LOL
why are we wierd though?
we can't help living at the other end of the earth. You live at the other end of the earth too. Everyone does as the earth is round?

if N.Z is user friendly i would like to visit.do you all speak country English ?
user friendly?
um..not really. I think you might get lost if you don't really have a guide. Our mountains etc are dangerous. Some of them are volcanoes that blow up and there are earthquakes from time to time.

We don't all speak country English. Some of us speak Newzealandese. This is a very fast version of English that proper English people don't really understand.

Back