Mandate

Hello. I have a question that has to do with Christians somewhat. Although I should say this question is more linguistic than religious. Anyway I hope to find answers here.

I was talking to a Christian, and he told me that the mandate of his church was such and such.

I want to find out what that sentence means. I know what "mandate" means in a secular context, but am not sure if it has a different meaning in a religious/Christian context.

Can I understand his sentence to mean, "the purpose of my church is such and such"?

Please note I am not trying to find out what the mandate of any Christian church is. I am trying to find out what is meant when someone said, "the mandate of ____ is ______".

Thanks.

Hello, Wan and nice to have you with us. As an example of 'mandate' - as a non denominational Pastor, I have no denominational or administrative orders to follow to teach a certain way. Within Christianity, there are currently over 36,000 different denominations, each with a slightly different way of doing and teaching things. In this context, 'Mandate' would probably mean that the church administration that you were told about requires a certain way of teaching their denominational beliefs and their staff members can not vary from those orders.

I'm sure others here at CFS can expand on this with you.

Once again, nice to have you with us here at CFS...

Blessings.

`

Hello. I have a question that has to do with Christians somewhat. Although I should say this question is more linguistic than religious. Anyway I hope to find answers here.

I was talking to a Christian, and he told me that the mandate of his church was such and such.

I want to find out what that sentence means. I know what "mandate" means in a secular context, but am not sure if it has a different meaning in a religious/Christian context.

Can I understand his sentence to mean, "the purpose of my church is such and such"?

Please note I am not trying to find out what the mandate of any Christian church is. I am trying to find out what is meant when someone said, "the mandate of ____ is ______".

Thanks.

I would suggest that you ask your church pastor personally the meaning of the word...."mandate".

ALL churches I know of have a "Mission Statement".

Thank you both for the replies.

A question for Pastor Gary:

What is the forum's view on agnostics? For example, if there is a poster, he says he is agnostic, but he follows all the rules, doesn't disrupt any discussions, doesn't troll, basically he is just behaving like a perfect poster, will he be banned based on his being an agnostic alone? Thanks.

Thank you both for the replies.

A question for Pastor Gary:

What is the forum's view on agnostics? For example, if there is a poster, he says he is agnostic, but he follows all the rules, doesn't disrupt any discussions, doesn't troll, basically he is just behaving like a perfect poster, will he be banned based on his being an agnostic alone? Thanks.
We have a Statement of Faith and Rules to agree to as part of our membership application process. If a person agrees to that Statement of Faith and our Forum Rules and then behaves in a way that goes against that Statement of Faith or our Forum Rules, they can ultimately have their account suspended. However, persons who come in to CFS, who are weak in their Christian knowledge, that may find a Path to God in a way that they have not known before, we usually allow them to remain here in hopes that they will read, learn, ask questions and decide if continuing as a CFS member is right for them. We have had several 'conversions' over the years and it is refreshing for General Members and the Staff at CFS to be able to witness to persons who may finally "See The Light".

`

Back