Learning Genesis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gen 2:23 Then the man said, "This at last is bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man."
Gen 2:24 Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.
Gen 2:25 And the man and his wife were both naked and were not ashamed.
Having reviewed all the animals and found them not complementary to Adam,he was provided with a compliment that was of the same flesh makeup as himself. This is an early established principle that is frequently referred to throughout scripture in one form or another.
The next item of disclosure is that they felt no shame. They were innocent just as a small child be they boy or girl feel no shame at being naked.

Ah! I think we skipped over a few issues...like the fruit of the tree? And maybe the creation of this possibly second set of creatures...do we care?

8 And they heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God among the trees of the garden.

9 Then the Lord God called to Adam and said to him, “Where are you?”

10 So he said, “I heard Your voice in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; and I hid myself.”

Couple of things here, how can one 'hide' from an omniscient God?

And also, what is the sound of God walking? Is it the same sound as you and I make when walking?

So..Tubby Tubby, Do you have an attention deficit disorder or is there something lacking in your diet?
You posted V10 ..."So he said, “I heard Your voice in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; and I hid myself.”
Then in the same post you ask.."And also, what is the sound of God walking?"
Any reasonable person would understand you are deliberately linking the voice of God with foot steps.
Me being very unreasonable would quickly conclude that you are deliberately trying to make fun off the Bible and of those who believe in its worth. You have no genuine interest in learning anything of value from a study of Genesis. I'm sure you would not be accepting of similar conduct from your children, indeed if they displayed the same sort of lack of comprehension skills as we are seeing from you here, you would as a parent be highly concerned.
This that I have highlighted is not the first time you have evidenced this attitude, but it is now high time to discuss your apparent poor comprehension skills.

Ah! I think we skipped over a few issues...like the fruit of the tree? And maybe the creation of this possibly second set of creatures...do we care?
Yes, we sort of did skip over a few things. The whole discussion is so disjointed that I thought I might try to just mention a few things that have already been mentioned. We can always go back and discuss the other tings, but I'm seriously doubting that there is any point in trying to converse with Tubby Tubby about anything of value. I get the distinct impression that he is seriously intellectually challenged here. (see his previous two posts)

The first branch, called the Pishon, flowed around the entire land of Havilah, where gold is found. The gold of that land is exceptionally pure; aromatic resin and onyx stone are also found there. (Genesis 2:11, 12 NLT)

Pishon means "hope." Water flowing through pure gold turns blood red. Havilah means "suffering." When you combine them together, you have a river of hope in the land of suffering.

11 And He said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree of which I commanded you that you should not eat?”

12 Then the man said, “The woman whom You gave to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I ate.”

13 And the Lord God said to the woman, “What is this you have done?”

The woman said, “The serpent deceived me, and I ate.”

So woman was the 'original sinner' according to this.

14 So the Lord God said to the serpent:

“Because you have done this,
You are cursed more than all cattle,
And more than every beast of the field;
On your belly you shall go,
And you shall eat dust
All the days of your life.
15 And I will put enmity
Between you and the woman,
And between your seed and her Seed;
He shall bruise your head,
And you shall bruise His heel.”

16 To the woman He said:

“I will greatly multiply your sorrow and your conception;
In pain you shall bring forth children;
Your desire shall be for your husband,
And he shall rule over you.”

Is the serpent the forerunner of all snakes? I know I mentioned 'snake' before and was corrected but it sounds like a snake to me.

I also don't see how pain in childbirth is a relevant punishment. The reproductive organs were also already designed (although nobody had given birth yet) so childbirth would always be painful.

What does 'bruise your head' and 'bruise His heel' mean? Why is 'His' capitalised in this instance?

17 Then to Adam He said, “Because you have heeded the voice of your wife, and have eaten from the tree of which I commanded you, saying, ‘You shall not eat of it’:

“Cursed is the ground for your sake;
In toil you shall eat of it
18 Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for you,
And you shall eat the herb of the field.
19 In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread
Till you return to the ground,
For out of it you were taken;
For dust you are,
And to dust you shall return.”

So Adams punishment was to eat crops instead of whatever was given him in the garden of Eden?

11 And He said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree of which I commanded you that you should not eat?”

12 Then the man said, “The woman whom You gave to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I ate.”

Yes, but Adam was with her v.6. She was deceived yes, but he willingly took the fruit. You have to understand that Adam was the head of the world and when he sinned all of creation fell, not when Eve sinned. Eve ate, Adam seeing nothing happened, took and ate too. Whole books can be written about these 13 verses.

14 So the Lord God said to the serpent:

“Because you have done this,
You are cursed more than all cattle,
And more than every beast of the field;
On your belly you shall go,
And you shall eat dust
15 And I will put enmity
Between you and the woman,
And between your seed and her Seed;
He shall bruise your head,
And you shall bruise His heel.”

16 To the woman He said:

“I will greatly multiply your sorrow and your conception;
In pain you shall bring forth children;
Your desire shall be for your husband,
And he shall rule over you.”

Is the serpent the forerunner of all snakes? I know I mentioned 'snake' before and was corrected but it sounds like a snake to me.

I also don't see how pain in childbirth is a relevant punishment. The reproductive organs were also already designed (although nobody had given birth yet) so childbirth would always be painful.

What does 'bruise your head' and 'bruise His heel' mean? Why is 'His' capitalised in this instance?
I believe the devil took on the form of a serpent or possessed a serpent, it does not specify. Other here will say it was just a metaphor, but I believe it was a physical serpent. As for the punishment, keep in mind they were pure, but now their DNA is changed from what they ate. Physical changes occurred from eating the forbidden fruit.

@TubbyTubby I separated this part because it's the second prophecy of the word of God and is most relevant to the entire written Scriptures. Here's that verse in another version:

Genesis 3:15 (ESV)
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heel.”

This is the first prophecy of Jesus and what He would do on the cross. When one is crucified, their feet are nailed to the cross putting tremendous pressure on the heel of the one being crucified. What happened on the cross bruised the head of the devil's by taking away his authority that Adam gave to him by eating the fruit. The devil is an imitator and in the last days he'll raise up a man, possess him and he'll do mighty lying wonders to deceive the world. We call him the Antichrist. Jesus will return and defeat this Antichrist ("enmity ... between your offspring (the Antichrist) and her offspring (Jesus)". This is why Caine was used by the devil to destroy the only "righteous seed" of Adam, Abel, thinking he'd kill this seed before this seed could ruin him. Because the devil does not know the future he's had antichrists waiting in the wings for the day he can rule the world (albeit temporarily).

17 Then to Adam He said, “Because you have heeded the voice of your wife, and have eaten from the tree of which I commanded you, saying, ‘You shall not eat of it’:

“Cursed is the ground for your sake;
In toil you shall eat of it
18 Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for you,
And you shall eat the herb of the field.
19 In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread
Till you return to the ground,
For out of it you were taken;
For dust you are,
And to dust you shall return.”

So Adams punishment was to eat crops instead of whatever was given him in the garden of Eden?
No, you miss the point. The garden provided all the sustenance they needed without work. NOW Adam had to become a farmer in order to eat, and to add to the punishment, it would not be easy.

So..Tubby Tubby, Do you have an attention deficit disorder or is there something lacking in your diet?
You posted V10 ..."So he said, “I heard Your voice in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; and I hid myself.”
Then in the same post you ask.."And also, what is the sound of God walking?"
Any reasonable person would understand you are deliberately linking the voice of God with foot steps.
Me being very unreasonable would quickly conclude that you are deliberately trying to make fun off the Bible and of those who believe in its worth. You have no genuine interest in learning anything of value from a study of Genesis. I'm sure you would not be accepting of similar conduct from your children, indeed if they displayed the same sort of lack of comprehension skills as we are seeing from you here, you would as a parent be highly concerned.
This that I have highlighted is not the first time you have evidenced this attitude, but it is now high time to discuss your apparent poor comprehension skills.
"And they heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden". Where have I made an assumption with that statement and how am I linking the voice of God and footsteps? I thought it was a quite reasonable question and one that my children might well ask if they read that scripture.

Perhaps my lack of knowledge appears as an attention deficit to you. My diet is pretty healthy I think, plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables.

"And they heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden". Where have I made an assumption with that statement and how am I linking the voice of God and footsteps? I thought it was a quite reasonable question and one that my children might well ask if they read that scripture.

Perhaps my lack of knowledge appears as an attention deficit to you. My diet is pretty healthy I think, plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables.
Genesis 3:8 (KJV)
And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden.

The KJV I looked at only says the 'sound of the Lord God walking..'
That is the KJV... so you just missed it.

Use this one: http://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible.cfm?b=Gen&c=3&t=KJV#s=3008

About the garden and sweat, Jesus redeemed us from the curse in the garden of Gethsemani...by His blood falling to the cursed ground.

Luke 22:44 (KJV)
And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.

The KJV I looked at only says the 'sound of the Lord God walking..'
Point is Tubby Tubby, not only did I check the Kjv, the Esv and the Septuagint, to be absolutely fair to you, I also quoted from your post # 917.
I see that you are now referring to Verse 8. I quoted your reference to V10. I intentionally bore no false witness against you.
V8 is vague.....perhaps, however V10 clarifies the matter.
I believe any person seeking to understand a passage would consider all that is contained in that passage so as to come to a complete and informed understanding.
Why did you focus on V8 to the exclusion of V10?
Why would you not want to get the best possible understanding out of your reading?

I think this is also important and Ab did a great job responding but I think the Lord included this dialogue to show us something about fallen humanity...they could no longer be truly honest and take full responsibilty (a change in character)...they could no longer call their bad, bad, and their good, good...they tend to always blame others or a circumstance or more for their mistakes and bad choices...no one likes to appear "at fault"...not that there is not some truth in what is said by Adam and Eve but half truths are still lies...

With God the formula is simple...If you turn to Him and repentantly confess (agree with Him) about your sin (where you missed the mark) and He will give you grace...in this case through faith in His promised deliverer (Genesis 3:15)...

Point is Tubby Tubby, not only did I check the Kjv, the Esv and the Septuagint, to be absolutely fair to you, I also quoted from your post # 917.
I see that you are now referring to Verse 8. I quoted your reference to V10. I intentionally bore no false witness against you.
V8 is vague.....perhaps, however V10 clarifies the matter.
I believe any person seeking to understand a passage would consider all that is contained in that passage so as to come to a complete and informed understanding.
Why did you focus on V8 to the exclusion of V10?
Why would you not want to get the best possible understanding out of your reading?
So, perhaps Calvin you should withold your comments about my attention disorder and diet until we agree on which scripture (and version of the bible) we are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back