Is it cheaper to be a vegetarian?

I know health is important too, but I believe I could probably "cheat" once a week or so to get the nutrients I need. For now I wish to know if it's cheaper to eat fruits, veggies and nuts only. Trying to save money. I am constantly short of money, and there are people who struggle even more than I do. Anyway I don't want to get into too much of it, but suffice to say that I am considering vegetarianism to save money.

God bless you all.

Hi Wan.

I live in the UK and EVERYTHING is expensive since Brexit and even though a piece of quality steak here costs me £10 (rib eye)
It fills me up more, and I am always hungry after eating just fruits and veggies.

On Monday I ate a steak and wedges and I wasn't hungry for the rest of my shift. But yesterday I had to eat 2 jacket potatoes with cheese and salad..straight after one another because it didn't fill me up

Hello Wan;

I believe it is cost effective to live on fruits, vegetables and nuts compared to meat and snacks. Imagine the cost of a bag of chips, YIKES!

Back to produce and nuts, I remember when my wife and I attempted to go vegetarian in our first year of marriage. We tried for a week but in the middle of the night (Wednesday) I was having dreams of cats biting and scratching me.

The next morning my wife came up to me and had puppy tears in her eyes and said, "Babe, I'm carnivous." I couldn't say no so we went to the supermarket and loaded up on meat and had hamburgers for dinner.

This may not sound inspiring but boy did those burgers taste wonderful! lol!

😎👉🍔!!!

Hi Wan.

I live in the UK and EVERYTHING is expensive since Brexit and even though a piece of quality steak here costs me £10 (rib eye)
It fills me up more, and I am always hungry after eating just fruits and veggies.

On Monday I ate a steak and wedges and I wasn't hungry for the rest of my shift. But yesterday I had to eat 2 jacket potatoes with cheese and salad..straight after one another because it didn't fill me up

Hey Via;

How do you use brexit in a sentence? Tomorrow morning I'm going to make brexit and coffee. lol!

Hello Wan;

I believe it is cost effective to live on fruits, vegetables and nuts compared to meat and snacks. Imagine the cost of a bag of chips, YIKES!

Back to produce and nuts, I remember when my wife and I attempted to go vegetarian in our first year of marriage. We tried for a week but in the middle of the night (Wednesday) I was having dreams of cats biting and scratching me.

The next morning my wife came up to me and had puppy tears in her eyes and said, "Babe, I'm carnivous." I couldn't say no so we went to the supermarket and loaded up on meat and had hamburgers for dinner.

This may not sound inspiring but boy did those burgers taste wonderful! lol!

😎👉🍔!!!
Lol that is such a cute story.

Hi Wan.... I am wondering what the price difference is between where you are and where I am. I have a feeling your location is more expensive than mine.

Do you have No Frills where you are?? or other discount grocery stores?

Certainly... covid did a number on the cost of living. The price of groceries is INSANE.... but the huge increase in prices has been in the last year especially. I am also seeing a quality of produce difference ( meaning sometimes the supply of produce is awful) and sometimes the shelves are bare. I never thought I would see the day where I would have to pick and choose what I actually buy. There are things that I simply will not pay the crazy prices for.

As to your question about being a vegetarian. If I shop according to SALES ( the flyers )... I can buy meat. I now basically buy what is on sale for the week, including my fruits and veggies.

I was a vegetarian from the age of 14, till I was in my mid-thirties. I was having grand mal seizure activity due to a head injury involving a car accident. My neurologist finally put me on a high fat diet, with lots of meat/fish/poultry used with success in children. After years of meds and no improvements, it worked. I discovered that my body needs the complex amino acids found in such foods. Today I am on an anti-inflammatory diet due to other health issues, so I do limit my intake.

However, I find that my diet can save money on a frugal income. I consume a brown rice, and dried bean variety daily. I only buy fresh veggies I cant buy frozen, as they last longer for me. I limit my fruit intake to apple and orange varieties because they are at lower prices. Chicken leg quarters in a 10 pound bag here costs about $7 USD. Sometimes, I can find whole turkeys on sale for about 80 cents a pound. I buy as many as I can afford. Store brands of whole wheat pasta, long cook oatmeal, whole grain bread loaves, and non-dairy milk round out my groceries. I do buy canned sardines, salmon, herring, tuna, and tomatoes but not much else because of the sodium. I do eat a lot of sweet potatoes made into wedges in the oven, almonds, peanuts, and home popped popcorn as snacks. I mainly drink green and other teas, mixed with stevia or filtered water. The only jarred foods I use are honey, and nut butters. Sometimes a scrambled egg will reach my plate. I also cook with olive oil on a lower heat.

Not to say I dont spurge on a good roast, bar of chocolate, or a meal out. I do not eat any processed foods, ready to eat items, or salty snack foods. Before an anti-inflammatory diet I spent one third more on groceries. I think Im more mindful, and less wasteful eating heathy.
Maybe thats the key to saving money :)

Last edited:
sardines, salmon, herring, tuna, and tomatoes
That is pretty much the bulk of what I buy in canned form also... minus the sardines and herring... I am curious to know what canned herring tastes like. I really like tuna and salmon. I also sometimes cheat and buy canned beans for chili when I make it.

Other than that... like you... I try to stay away from processed food. This year I am fine tuning some bad habits I have acquired...letting a few no no foods slip into my groceries.

I think the secret is shopping according to the sales of the week and cooking your own meals. I have also found that washing and storing fruits and ( especially veggies ) properly really pays off when it comes to longer shelf life. I soak everything... including fruit in a vinegar water bath. Berries are frequently on sale ( even though NOT in season ) I can't resist black berries and raspberries. I usually buy extra packages and flash freeze them.

Budgeting is definitely a skill... but you do have to have the basic small allowance to work with on a consistent basis.

This thread has made me think.... I might try to do a CAN you live on this much for a week challenge? in February.

To save money, and eat healthier, grow what you are able to. There are great videos that teach how to grow alot of food even if you have very limited space. You'd be surprised at just how much you can grow, and amazed at how much money you can save...
That is pretty much the bulk of what I buy in canned form also... minus the sardines and herring... I am curious to know what canned herring tastes like. I really like tuna and salmon. I also sometimes cheat and buy canned beans for chili when I make it. Other than that... like you... I try to stay away from processed food. This year I am fine tuning some bad habits I have acquired...letting a few no no foods slip into my groceries. I think the secret is shopping according to the sales of the week and cooking your own meals. I have also found that washing and storing fruits and ( especially veggies ) properly really pays off when it comes to longer shelf life. I soak everything... including fruit in a vinegar water bath. Berries are frequently on sale ( even though NOT in season ) I can't resist black berries and raspberries. I usually buy extra packages and flash freeze them. Budgeting is definitely a skill... but you do have to have the basic small allowance to work with on a consistent basis. This thread has made me think.... I might try to do a CAN you live on this much for a week challenge? in February.

Good morning, Atomic and In Awe of Him;

After reading your posts it made me think. I'm not really a serious eater. I just determine at that moment what goes in my mouth whether its ok or not.

Does it taste good?

But I know it's important to ask the Lord what is wise and healthy for us to eat. For example, my wife and I went to a matinee last Saturday and shared popcorn (which has several nutrients and fiber) and a sugarless drink. But we passed the candies and sweet sodas.

God bless you, sisters.

I agree with what Learning to let go said, that going vegetarian to save money is not the right motive. After I was diagnosed with diabetes my diet changed. I added more vegetables but I still eat meats and eggs. I had to change my snacks to nuts and\or popcorn (unless I make my version of cookies). I can't have milk but I can have almond milk. I guess I got off my main point. If you want to be vegetarian then do so, otherwise look for deals and coupons. Most grocery stores will discount meats as they get close to their expiration date. If you buy these discounted meats you should cook them soon after to avoid getting sick, but they are still good for a few days after you buy them.

After I was diagnosed with diabetes my diet changed. I added more vegetables but I still eat meats and eggs. I had to change my snacks to nuts and\or popcorn (unless I make my version of cookies).
There are definitely ways to save money....without resorting to becoming vegetarian. A balance of good foods is the answer and cutting out as much processed food as possible.

Like you said eggs.... a dozen eggs goes a long way. omelettes are a wonderful meal and almost any type of vegetable can be used.

I am not one to use milk at all. After I was diagnosed with diabetes... I suffered through the agonizing process of learning to drink coffee black.
I now actually enjoy my naked coffee. HAHA. I buy GREEK yogurt. It's thicker and is a wonderful substitute for mayonnaise.

I suffered through the agonizing process of learning to drink coffee black. I now actually enjoy my naked coffee.

Good morning, In Awe of Him;

After years of being a type II diabetic and doing research, I stopped using the color packets of sugar substitutes and learned Stevia in the green packet is fine to use with your coffee especially if you are a diabetic.

Enjoy your next cup of coffee with Stevia.

After years of being a type II diabetic and doing research, I stopped using the color packets of sugar substitutes and learned Stevia in the green packet is fine to use with your coffee especially if you are a diabetic.
I now like my coffee black... I never used sugar or sweetner... but I used to take my coffee with one cream. I have heard that Stevia is the best sweetener because it's natural. I actually use good quality honey if I want to make things a bit sweet... but I have learned to enjoy the natural sweetness of fruit without that extra sugar.

Good morning, In Awe of Him;

Enjoy your next cup of coffee with Stevia.

Stevia is an herb. You can grow it in a pot in your kitchen window and just pluck a leaf or two!

That's the wrong motive. If you want to save money then shop as frugally as you can. If you choose to be vegetarian then do so because you don't want to unnecessarily add to the suffering of living beings.
This is very true, and in fact I also do care about animals. However, I am a bit hesitant to say I am doing it for animal rights reasons because I feel that there is a lot of animosity to that.

My former vegetarianism started because I did not like meat products. Then it turned into not wanting to wear animal products, and having more respect for living things. Finally, it was in my Christian walk it dawned on me that God created animals for human consumption. All living things are part of a giant food chain. We are not always on top of it either, cause when given the chance there are many of our Fathers creations that will eat us.

It was having seizure activity that pushed me back into eating meat, dairy, poultry, and fish. I discovered our bodies were designed to consume such foods. In two weeks I stopped having grand mal seizures completely, and that was back in 1996. Ive been off any kind of seizure med since 2014. Im living proof that our bodies can heal with proper foods. I have ankylosing spondylitis, which probably triggered those seizures to begin with. Food once again is helping me, as an anti-inflammatory diet is controlling my pain, and related health issues. I feel much better, lost some weight, lowered my cholesterol, lowered my blood sugar, lowered my blood pressure, improved my heart functioning, improved my liver functioning, improved my vision, reduced joint inflammation, reduced bouts with acid reflux, reduced bouts with irritable bowel syndrome, and have been able to actually get more consistent periods of sleep. Complex protein consumption is something I see as a needed commodity, and vegetarianism is a diet choice I no longer endorse.

Back