How to discern the Holy Spirit from other thoughts?

This is confusing me. I think I am trying too hard to understand.
Why it is confusing to you is because there many things you do not understand yet. Understanding takes time just like going to school. This is why we have elementary, middle school, high school, and then college. Everything is taught to you so that the you can learn the more advance things later as you progress in your spiritual life. I had many many questions I asked the Lord when I was a new Christian, and some of them took years to get the answer to, only because I needed to learn more of the basic things of scripture first, so when the Lord told me the answer I was able to understand them.

Why it is confusing to you is because there many things you do not understand yet. Understanding takes time just like going to school. This is why we have elementary, middle school, high school, and then college. Everything is taught to you so that the you can learn the more advance things later as you progress in your spiritual life. I had many many questions I asked the Lord when I was a new Christian, and some of them took years to get the answer to, only because I needed to learn more of the basic things of scripture first, so when the Lord told me the answer I was able to understand them.
Good example :)

Good example :)

I fully agree! In reading your thoughts and questions, it feels as if i am writing sometimes. This whole learning to walk by the spirit and hear God, and have an intimate relationship with God, is something that seems as it is a new thing for me even though i was saved when i was very young, and stuck close to God as i knew how to. Going to church when the doors were open and such.

So please know that you are not alone! I used to feel overwhelmed (just about 2 years ago) because i thought i should be closer, know more, not doubt if i think God is talking to me, and be better at behaving in the ways that please God. For some reason i thought that the pastors just somehow automatically received what they taught. Not realizing that they had the same struggles that i did, and that it was not automatic. But that they developed what they had learned over many years.

All of the advice in here is really good! And it has helped me to. Just be patient, knowing that God loves you and desires a relationship with you, and if you ask Him, He will show you how.

I fully agree! In reading your thoughts and questions, it feels as if i am writing sometimes. This whole learning to walk by the spirit and hear God, and have an intimate relationship with God, is something that seems as it is a new thing for me even though i was saved when i was very young, and stuck close to God as i knew how to. Going to church when the doors were open and such.

So please know that you are not alone! I used to feel overwhelmed (just about 2 years ago) because i thought i should be closer, know more, not doubt if i think God is talking to me, and be better at behaving in the ways that please God. For some reason i thought that the pastors just somehow automatically received what they taught. Not realizing that they had the same struggles that i did, and that it was not automatic. But that they developed what they had learned over many years.

All of the advice in here is really good! And it has helped me to. Just be patient, knowing that God loves you and desires a relationship with you, and if you ask Him, He will show you how.
I have asked Him, so now I am faithfully waiting.

Juk, knowing the Word of God, and having fellowship with God go hand in hand. When you find a man or women of God who has a close one on one relationship with the Lord you will also find they are very well knowledgeable with the scriptures. The reason why that is, is because it is God Father who reveals his truth unto that person. God revealing his Word to you is the same as God revealing him self to you, as the Word is God. The more you know the Word of God the more you know God. Jesus said, "This is eternal life, that you might know you, the only true God....."
Contained inside every Word of God dwells all the fullness of the Godhead. This is who we want to know and see.

Juk, knowing the Word of God, and having fellowship with God go hand in hand. When you find a man or women of God who has a close one on one relationship with the Lord you will also find they are very well knowledgeable with the scriptures. The reason why that is, is because it is God Father who reveals his truth unto that person. God revealing his Word to you is the same as God revealing him self to you, as the Word is God. The more you know the Word of God the more you know God. Jesus said, "This is eternal life, that you might know you, the only true God....."
Contained inside every Word of God dwells all the fullness of the Godhead. This is who we want to know and see.
Does that mean that the Bible is literally God?

Does that mean that the Bible is literally God?

Luk 24:44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.
Luk 24:45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,

2 Tim. 3:16-17 says, "All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; 17 that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work."

The word "inspired" is literally "God-breathed." This is an interesting phrase since it tells us that the Scriptures are from the mouth of God.

People on this forum have been telling me that the Holy Spirit sometimes takes over my thoughts and teaches me through them. It might also tell me what to do. Ever since then, I have been excited whenever I have a thought that tells me to do something, hoping that it was the Holy Spirit speaking to me. But I need to know what separates the Holy Spirit from regular thoughts, or even influences from Satan or any demon. Thank you guys :)

Hello Friend,

Its really simple, what the Holy Spirit will speak to you :

1. Generally will be in line with what is in the Word of God. Every voice or thought must subjected to the Word of God.
2. Secondly, any time you hear the true voice of God, your heart will be in comfort, joy peace, love, faith, hope, joy. I call it my spiritual indicates. Whereas if its from the devil, you will be in fear, doubt, unbelieving and insecure.

Reactions: Juk
Hello Friend,

1. Generally will be in line with what is in the Word of God. Every voice or thought must subjected to the Word of God.
2. Secondly, any time you hear the true voice of God, your heart will be in comfort, joy peace, love, faith, hope, joy. I call it my spiritual indicates. Whereas if its from the devil, you will be in fear, doubt, unbelieving and insecure.
Welcome to CFS!

Please take a few minutes to read through the forum rules.

http://www.christianforumsite.com/threads/forum-rules.29546/

Once again, a warm welcome.

People on this forum have been telling me that the Holy Spirit sometimes takes over my thoughts and teaches me through them. It might also tell me what to do. Ever since then, I have been excited whenever I have a thought that tells me to do something, hoping that it was the Holy Spirit speaking to me. But I need to know what separates the Holy Spirit from regular thoughts, or even influences from Satan or any demon. Thank you guys :)
Hello Friend,

Welcome to CFS!

Please take a few minutes to read through the forum rules.

http://www.christianforumsite.com/threads/forum-rules.29546/

Once again, a warm welcome.

THANKS SIR

The Bible is Gods Word to you.
Jesus is the Word as it says in Johns gospel, so yes, in many ways literally the bible is God but we dont say that or ppl get the wrong idea..God is the author of it, he inspired men to write it with his Holy spirit, all scripture is God-breathed.

I would say the Bible is Holy.

There is no confusion if its the Holy spirit and what he is saying is confirmed in His word in the bible.

Juk what were you doing may I ask?
What I do is pray, ask God for wisdom and read my bible. Maybe just read your bible first, start reading, I dont know where your are up to, but I started from Genesis, and enjoy the story. Then what the holy spirit does is highlight or point to passages that He wants to teach you. In some ways its like the word just jumps out at you.

when you are not reading the Bible, scriptures you have read will come to your mind. Sometimes, if its something maybe you havent really read or digested, he will refer you to a book and chapter or verse. You then look it up, and thats Gods word to you.

There is no confusion if its the Holy spirit and what he is saying is confirmed in His word in the bible.

Juk what were you doing may I ask?
What I do is pray, ask God for wisdom and read my bible. Maybe just read your bible first, start reading, I dont know where your are up to, but I started from Genesis, and enjoy the story. Then what the holy spirit does is highlight or point to passages that He wants to teach you. In some ways its like the word just jumps out at you.

when you are not reading the Bible, scriptures you have read will come to your mind. Sometimes, if its something maybe you havent really read or digested, he will refer you to a book and chapter or verse. You then look it up, and thats Gods word to you.
I also ask for wisdom before reading the Bible. I also ask God show me what passage to read, then I close my eyes and pick a random book and chapter, and sometimes verse. Then I write down what may speak to me. I was reading Malachi 3 verse by verse and I think I got a lot more out of it than usual. I'm learning how I read God's Word everyday.

Luk 24:44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.
Luk 24:45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,

2 Tim. 3:16-17 says, "All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; 17 that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work."

The word "inspired" is literally "God-breathed." This is an interesting phrase since it tells us that the Scriptures are from the mouth of God.
That's awesome.

You can tell that the Bible is different from other books. In class, we were discussing a book and I could not even participate because of how meaningless I thought it was. Whenever people discuss things that are not related to God, I feel that they are wasting their lives.

You can tell that the Bible is different from other books. In class, we were discussing a book and I could not even participate because of how meaningless I thought it was. Whenever people discuss things that are not related to God, I feel that they are wasting their lives.
You are right, the Word of God contained within the Bible are the only Words that have power in them to change, and save a life.

Back