How Do You Deal with Temptation?

Mom said:
You can't run away from thoughts... And certain body parts are attached...

actually you can! You can plead the blood of Jesus and readin your bible start singing a song! Just because a bad thought may enter your mind dosent mean you have to dwell on it. And as far as these attached body parts its called self control! If you dont have it...I know I dont all the time ask God to give it to you.

SUBMIT to God, RESIST the devil and he will run away- the same can be said of the temptation as well as the tempter.:)

I build bridges, I burn bridges, I plant hedges, I errect walls, I turn away from it , I turn toward God. I walk around it, I close my eyes to it. I did and do anything and everything that I can think of or hear of that has the slightest reasonable possibility to help me avoid it. I leave no stone unturned, no suggestion ignored, and never rest until I have found the proper way to handle it.
And pray continousy ,asking for Gods's deliverance from it.

I was a hedonist. One who lives for pleasure ,especialy pleasure of the flash.I come to Christ Jesus from a life style of physical lust and depravity. For me to escape it there was no other way but total and unrelenting effort to do so. Complete, immediate and utter removal in every way possible from my previous life style was my only alternitive. Anything less would have meant failure. Even with all that ,with out God I would not have made it out.

The one thing I never do is assume for even one second that I am immune from temptation or that I can or could ever overcome it without Jesus.

Sincerely
His
Cliff

I try to understand that temptation has two possible outcomes...I can either go with it (slowly) or turn my back on it.

Going with it slowly means that I carefully weigh all of my options. Is this good or bad? If it's bad, then how is it bad? If I'm going to do this thing, I shouldn't run and get it over with. Instant gratification. But take my time and think things through. Maybe if I weigh things out, I'll come to a better state of mind where the temptation is no longer there.

Temptation is everywhere! I'm not going to be afraid of it, and I'm not going to give myself the high and mighty and say that temptation will never, ever get me again. This is something that we learned in AA...never say never, because we just set ourselves up again. I try not to give myself any power or glory over anything - but understand that with God's help, I can make it through.

What kind of temptation am I faced with? Sex is a big one for Christian men, I think (it is for me). It's on TV, it's in the magazines, in the news. The way they throw it around, it seems like the norm these days. Everybody's doing the bad things but me. Or that's what the devil wants me to believe. Look at all the fun everybody is having! They're all doing it! Heck, they even trade spouses on TV! What are you waiting for?

When society makes a sin seem so right, there's something wrong. There's kids killing each other in gangs, and they glorify it on TV, practically. There's video games where the main goal is to steal a sportscar. Keep up with the Jonses (covet) or they're going to make you look weaker. Judge other people, keep a list of everybody's sins but your own. Gossip, it's what we're meant to do. People are so into pleasing one another these days, they've forgotten who we were fashioned for. Whose pleasure are we created for?

It's hard sometimes for me to think - don't rush or run in to sin. My body and mind say one thing...but my heart knows better. God is my Father, and I love Him so much that I don't want to make him sad. Jesus is my Savior, and I want to strengthen my relationship with Him.

I was once so hungry that I would have gladly eaten eggshells, I'm serious. Sin can be like a chilidog to someone who is that hungry. It can feel so good, yeah, no matter what it is. But it's over soon. My Father in Heaven has an entire banquet table of feasts prepared for me as a reward if I live by His rules now.:)

....pushups...lots and lots of pushups....

Sort of. Usually it's just something to force me to focus my mind on something else, ANYTHING else aside from temptation. In my case, pushups work.

Bana let us know if you need help- we could take turns sitting on your back while you do your push ups! LOL! Seriously though if you are doing that as a way of coping you must be getting quite a good bit of upper body strength!

Hey, if nothing else, I'll be able to lift a Peterbuilt by the end of the month. And that HAS to impress the ladies. ;)

Francis Frangipane wrote a book titled The Stronghold of God: Finding God's Place of Immunity from Attacks of the Enemy

As Christians become more submitted to the Lord - they come to a place where they become immune to temptation. I believe that this is true as I am seeing this in my own life. It's more a matter of saying yes to Jesus rather than saying no to temptation. Temptation will probably always be there, but we will become immune to it as we develop a intimate walk with the Lord.

Larry II

We are called to die to our old self-

Gal 5:16
This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
Gal 5:17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
Gal 5:18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Gal 5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
Gal 5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
Gal 5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
Gal 5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
Gal 5:26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

Another truth about temptation/resisting sin-- no matter how difficult it may be to stay strong in the face of certain temptations, it will always be hardest the first time. You are breaking your own will. That's got to hurt! :)

By the grace of God, it does get easier with practice.

Indeed. That is our calling in Christ or as the great Apostle Paul put it "I die daily".
The Old Testament was a type and shadow of the new. One the way to the Holy of Holies one would first pass the brazen alter where the blood was spilt and the flesh consumed with fire. The alter had four horns ,one on each corner. These we used to tie down the flesh and this fresh sacrifice would spasm and try to wrench itself of the alter. I oft feel my own flesh trying the same thing.

Temptation

Francis Frangipane wrote a book titled The Stronghold of God: Finding God's Place of Immunity from Attacks of the Enemy

As Christians become more submitted to the Lord - they come to a place where they become immune to temptation. I believe that this is true as I am seeing this in my own life. It's more a matter of saying yes to Jesus rather than saying no to temptation. Temptation will probably always be there, but we will become immune to it as we develop a intimate walk with the Lord.[Larry II quote]

Larry II and Andiclare, that's good news! It's no fun to deal with temptation on a daily basis and if it were not for God's strength, I would feel like giving up. I thought I would have to live like this for the rest of my life. I know there are many others who deal with more than just one or two temptations. Still, it is a battle.

I find that when I want to do something I know is wrong, that just memorizing scripture or opening my Bible and reading gets my mind off of the temptation. Because, you see, I cannot resist a Good Book!

Good Thread.

I've been resisting temptation and working very hard on my intentions and what's actulally in my heart. From love comes strength to do so.

I have a question too about dreams.

If I am pure of heart should my sinful in nature dreams stop occuring? I'm sure things are still in my head somewhere that's why I dream about them.

Last night a better thing happened though. I started having a naughty dream, and I was at a bar or something. I met multiple girls there, and, you know. Was going to happen. But then I saw this girl and went over to her, first attreacted physically, then by the time I got to her I got all emotional, just sat by her, and looked into her eyes, and just wanted to look into her eyes and mingle with her soul, not her body, but they were blurry, I couldn't really see into them.

This is interesting because this is a lot like when I wen to that rave a while back, if you remember. Except nothing was about to happen there, but there was lust.

Also that same night I dreamed was in the back of someones vehicle, driving through the city. A big plane came really low where there was no airport, so I'm like wow, what's it doing flying so low. And then in the distance by it, a flash of white light. A massive bomb. It was over and I knew it. I rose my hands in the air and called out to Jesus. It was glorious, not much fear, but it felt real. I waited to see the Lord also wondering if this is going to hurt. The pain never came and for a little while I just saw complete white and nothing else. I waited and eventually woke up.

Back