Good Works & The Blood of Christ

Well, sometimes I catch myself feeling good when i'm doing 'good works'. I suppose I would interpret this myself as meaning its an opportunity to see if I still carry pride or any anger or other disturbance.

if I should do good work because the bible says I should, and I don't feel like it, I note it, and pray. good works ought to be in faith and free from resistance.

I dont quite know what he means by solitary though.

edit; unless he means when we are alone and no one is watching...

Last edited:
a solitary good work, until the blood of Christ is sprinkled thereon.

I dont quite know what he means by solitary though.
I suggest solitary as in, “even a single good work …”

Also from Spurgeon,
"…the blood of sprinkling" represents the pains, the sufferings, the humiliation, and the death of the Lord Jesus Christ, which he endured on the behalf of guilty man.”

So, no work, no matter the circumstances, is sanctified with out the sacrifices, blood of, and Faith in, our Lord Jesus Christ.

Last edited:
Furthermore, when we have faith in God and perform all our works with the best of motives, even then we have not so much as a solitary good work, until the blood of Christ is sprinkled thereon.

-Charles Spurgeon

(thoughts?)

Spurgeon was correct!

IF........we could be saved by doing good works, then everyone would be saved and the death of Jesus Christ was a fraud!

Well, sometimes I catch myself feeling good when i'm doing 'good works'. I suppose I would interpret this myself as meaning its an opportunity to see if I still carry pride or any anger or other disturbance. if I should do good work because the bible says I should, and I don't feel like it, I note it, and pray. good works ought to be in faith and free from resistance. I dont quite know what he means by solitary though. edit; unless he means when we are alone and no one is watching...

I suggest solitary as in, “even a single good work …” Also from Spurgeon, "…the blood of sprinkling" represents the pains, the sufferings, the humiliation, and the death of the Lord Jesus Christ, which he endured on the behalf of guilty man.” So, no work, no matter the circumstances, is sanctified with out the sacrifices, blood of, and Faith in, our Lord Jesus Christ.

Hello Via and blueskies;

I feel everyone is giving good input in this discussion. I'd like to add that when we serve Christ, there are times we don't feel like it. He already knows this about us.

But when we go forth anyway and finish the task, it is called a sacrifice for Christ. Examples, when we don't feel like praying, we confess this to God and pray from our hearts what words we do convey to Him. Or, when we do a visitation to a sick person but don't feel like going but we go anyway with all our heart, this ends up blessing the patient.

My take away is even when we (as Christians) have the best motives in doing good, it counts for nothing unless it is covered by Christ's righteousness...

Jesus, thy blood and righteousness
My beauty are, my glorious dress;
'Midst flaming worlds, in these arrayed,
With joy shall I lift up my head.
Bold shall I stand in thy great day;
For who aught to my charge shall lay?
Fully absolved through these I am
From sin and fear, from guilt and shame.
When from the dust of death I rise
To claim my mansion in the skies,
Ev'n then this shall be all my plea,
Jesus hath lived, hath died, for me.
Jesus, be endless praise to thee,
Whose boundless mercy hath for me—
For me a full atonement made,
An everlasting ransom paid.
O let the dead now hear thy voice;
Now bid thy banished ones rejoice;
Their beauty this, their glorious dress,
Jesus, thy blood and righteousness.

-Wesley & Zinzendorf.

Last edited:
But when we go forth anyway and finish the task, it is called a sacrifice for Christ. Examples, when we don't feel like praying, we confess this to God and pray from our hearts what words we do convey to Him. Or, when we do a visitation to a sick person but don't feel like going but we go anyway with all our heart, this ends up a blessing the patient.
its the sacrifice of praise

Back