Getting Older

You know, when a young man, the older folks always talked about how fast one gets older and how short life is.

I can now identify with that, experientially speaking, that is.

The bones get achy, the various reactions to pollens in the air through the onset of allergies that were never a problem before, and the teeth needing to be pulled due to bone loss and gum disease, ringing in the ears, it all adds up over time.

On the other hand, there's still that feeling of youth deep down that we don't ever let go, holding to it with a tenacity. That child within is what helps to keep us grounded in that child-like character of which Jesus, spoke, and that love of which Paul spoke.

Matthew 18:3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

and

1 Corinthians 13:3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed [the poor], and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

I've noticed that people who speak of reading all manner of other materials more than they read the Bible, as if they have plumbed every depth in that magnificent book that can be plumbed through study, I usually can detect the lack in just these two things within them. They glossed over these and many other things within the Bible that speak too deeply for them to have taken notice.

Let the clues we pick up from others give us pause for thought and reflection, but most importantly the things we may glean from the scriptures by making time to read and reflect upon them, and then share those things with others. Perhaps your gatherings do not allow for mutual sharing and edification, but we can all certainly share with those around us outside of those programmatic gatherings, perhaps blessing them with what they need, and thus storing up treasure in Heaven.

You know, when a young man, the older folks always talked about how fast one gets older and how short life is.

I can now identify with that, experientially speaking, that is.

The bones get achy, the various reactions to pollens in the air through the onset of allergies that were never a problem before, and the teeth needing to be pulled due to bone loss and gum disease, ringing in the ears, it all adds up over time.

On the other hand, there's still that feeling of youth deep down that we don't ever let go, holding to it with a tenacity. That child within is what helps to keep us grounded in that child-like character of which Jesus, spoke, and that love of which Paul spoke.

Matthew 18:3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

and

1 Corinthians 13:3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed [the poor], and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

I've noticed that people who speak of reading all manner of other materials more than they read the Bible, as if they have plumbed every depth in that magnificent book that can be plumbed through study, I usually can detect the lack in just these two things within them. They glossed over these and many other things within the Bible that speak too deeply for them to have taken notice.

Let the clues we pick up from others give us pause for thought and reflection, but most importantly the things we may glean from the scriptures by making time to read and reflect upon them, and then share those things with others. Perhaps your gatherings do not allow for mutual sharing and edification, but we can all certainly share with those around us outside of those programmatic gatherings, perhaps blessing them with what they need, and thus storing up treasure in Heaven.

Aging has convinced me that the Theory of Relativity (the faster you travel, the slower time passes) has an opposite number: the older you get, the faster time passes. I remember the days in elementary school when summer vacation lasted forever; now, I blink my eyes and another month is gone!

Aging has convinced me that the Theory of Relativity (the faster you travel, the slower time passes) has an opposite number: the older you get, the faster time passes. I remember the days in elementary school when summer vacation lasted forever; now, I blink my eyes and another month is gone!

Hello Musicmaster;

I was going to write a thread on this very topic and am blessed that you did.

As BibleLover posted I remember my age at 4 years to 20 years took forever. I had a lot of fun in the mix of (being mischievous) going to Church because of all my child and teen friends, studying and working part time.

I first started to notice how time goes by faster when I turned 40 on. A lot has happened, praise God, but my health concerns and working harder in my vocation and later full time ministry increased.

What we have in common with the gentleman in the video, Hazel and I also have that "you're as young as you feel" attitude but now our grown up nephews and nieces seem to be more observant and caring about us because of our age. I'm 67 and I won't disclose Hazel's age but her birthday is this month and I'm one year older than her. lol!

Most of the people I minister to are elderly Christians and have a sense of peace about getting older, accept their frailty and are ready to meet the Lord.

I have spoken to others who are worried about their age, health and financials. How they wish they could be 25 years old again when life was simple and they could have made different choices. I suggest to them, perhaps so but if this happened, we would only have different problems arise and get in the way instead.

Not every millennial, middle and senior age Christian has a strong faith in Christ, so imagine the fear a non believer goes through in their later years.

In 2 Corinthians 4:13-18, 13 Since we have the same spirit of faith according to what has been written, “I believed, and so I spoke,” we also believe, and so we also speak, 14 knowing that he who raised the Lord Jesus will raise us also with Jesus and bring us with you into his presence. 15 For it is all for your sake, so that as grace extends to more and more people it may increase thanksgiving, to the glory of God.

16 So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. 17 For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, 18 as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal. - ESV

This is the opportunity we are given to minister, uplift and encourage our elders. For those under 40, exhort those as you would a father, younger men as brothers, older women as mothers, younger women as sisters, in all purity, reference 1 Timothy 5:1-2.

For those of us over 40 years is an opportunity to take the wisdom and discernment give each of us by God to minister to our youth, men and women who faint, are weary and fall exhausted reference Isaiah 40:30-31.

God bless you, MM, and thank you for sharing Getting Older.

In 2 Corinthians 4:13-18, 13 Since we have the same spirit of faith according to what has been written, “I believed, and so I spoke,” we also believe, and so we also speak, 14 knowing that he who raised the Lord Jesus will raise us also with Jesus and bring us with you into his presence. 15 For it is all for your sake, so that as grace extends to more and more people it may increase thanksgiving, to the glory of God.

16 So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. 17 For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, 18 as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal. - ESV

That was an excellent set of passages. I shared them with my wife just now, who is laying in bed with some fever and aches. She needed to hear it.

Blessings to you and yours, brother.

MM

In my experience, growing older is less scary the older I get. Death, the ultimate expression of age, was far scarier in my twenties than it is now.

Really? Hmm. The years of my 20's found me saying that I was ready to go into eternity because how the world was back then. I had no idea the world would become what it is now within my lifetime.

MM

That was an excellent set of passages. I shared them with my wife just now, who is laying in bed with some fever and aches. She needed to hear it.

Blessings to you and yours, brother.

MM

We're praying for Mrs. Musicmaster, brother. Sticking with Getting Older, what she is nursing right now has been going around like wildfire over here. We went through several weeks of fever, aches, sneezing, coughing and going through boxes of tissue.

Hazel and I are on the healing end but years ago this sort of thing would have lasted only a few days at the most.

We hope she gets better, brother.

Aging has convinced me that of all the things I have seen, and experienced, I am happy that I know Jesus as my Lord.

We're praying for Mrs. Musicmaster, brother. Sticking with Getting Older, what she is nursing right now has been going around like wildfire over here. We went through several weeks of fever, aches, sneezing, coughing and going through boxes of tissue.

Hazel and I are on the healing end but years ago this sort of thing would have lasted only a few days at the most.

Hm. The wife and I are also just getting over the same thing. Still dealing with flight sneezing and coughing, but much less. This one took weeks to get over.

This is a very timely and interesting discussion. I too find it a little disturbing at how fast time appears to me moving. I will turn 65 in a couple of months, and it is really "freaking" me out. It's like being in a fast train and having no way of slowing it down. I now look back and have no idea where time went.

I remember what I was bullet-proof and 10 feet tall. I am still very energetic, but it's mostly on the outside. On the inside, I do not want to go to work this morning and would father sit on the sofa, nap, and watch TV.

You are all so young!
I am 78 and nothing works any more. Including my brain.

I once wondered why we have to grow old, and look unattractive. The reason I came up with was that God chose this way to teach us true humility.

Then I was fine with it all. It works.

God Bless you all
Keep on teaching me.

So slow down and enjoy all the things you can do, it is good.

You are all so young!

I once wondered why we have to grow old, and look unattractive. The reason I came up with was that God chose this way to teach us true humility.

God Bless you all
Keep on teaching me.

One thing I learned from a woman who was 102 at the time when I visited her as a seven year old neighbor, she made it known to me that time slows down tremendously when one gets to the point of just waiting for death. Each day grinds by so very slowly. The highlights of each day for her was when someone would come and visit her, even though she was bed-ridden, needing assistance from her younger sister to bath and other things. They didn't have much for elderly care in those days...at least not for those who were widows of men who did not make enough money to save up a retirement.

Years ago when my dad was 77, a women well into her nineties was looking up at something on the store shelf that she could not reach. She looked over at my dad and said, "Boy! Hey, boy! Would you get that up there fore me? I can't reach it."

My dad told me some days later how good that made him fell that there were still people around old enough to call him "Boy."

Kinda helps us see it all from a different perspective.

MM

Last edited:
I feel exactly the same way. When I was a child, I would hope that summer would arrive soon. Every day felt so long, time just seemed to drag on forever. And now, time just slips through my fingers. I remember celebrating my 44th birthday last year, it almost seemed like yesterday and now it's almost a year already. It's insane.

You are all so young!

God Bless you all
Keep on teaching me.

There have been a couple of times when I have come across current photograph of people, I have known for a long time but have not seen because we no longer live in the same area.

I often catch myself thinking "Man, he looks old as the hills." Then I stop and realize they are saying the same thing about me. I am presently trying to come to grips with the realization that I am a senior citizen, and I will never get the opportunity to try out for a position with my favorite football team.

About three years ago, I took the train to and from work. One time, a young woman actually stood up to offer me her chair. That really freaked me out and NO I did not take her up on the offer. It would have been too much for me to handle.

Yikes, I look like my own grandpa!!!

me ane me.jpg

Rtm

Back